Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if the LMTV driver had gotten more rest this wouldnt have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

fuuck good ol sFC Jones

It's funny because he, and everyone in the online slide show, are in uniforms that haven't been worn in a decade.

I actually had a class not long ago that the actors were wearing bell bottoms and the Soldiers were in vietnam uniforms.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The only guy I want to see giving me training is SGT Chowdown.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Sgt. Chowdown defected to ISIS, his name is Muhhamed Kosha Ahmad al-Akbari now. Hotdogs are haram (forbidden).

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Sgt. Chowdown defected to ISIS, his name is Muhhamed Kosha Ahmad al-Akbari now. Hotdogs are haram (forbidden).

you shut your whore mouth

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Why is every loving digital program the Army uses complete and utter dog poo poo. Holy gently caress is DTMS a steaming pile of poo poo. No poo poo it's not up to date, we've spent the majority of the past 4 months in the field so yes BDE, let's make it go home criteria for the weekend literally the day after people get back from Yakima.

gently caress the Army

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Mustang posted:

Why is every loving digital program the Army uses complete and utter dog poo poo. Holy gently caress is DTMS a steaming pile of poo poo. No poo poo it's not up to date, we've spent the majority of the past 4 months in the field so yes BDE, let's make it go home criteria for the weekend literally the day after people get back from Yakima.

gently caress the Army

:getin: welcome to half of my entire job for the last two years. Getting DTMS up to date is a Sisyphean task, but get used to it.

Just be glad we're not in an airborne unit. Having to input every single jump that every single person has ever done, based on their hand jammed jump log. Had a dude with more than 250. His alone took a day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm glad that our leadership has decided "upload the SHARP stuff" is good enough for DTMS.

But when senior leaders or GOs say "UHHHH DTMS isn't new, it's been the standard for years, why isn't everyone uploading?!" it's hard not to reply that if something has been the standard for about a decade and no one likes using it, it probably is loving awful and stupid.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Maybe things have improved (lol Army, no) but AKO for me was the Platonic ideal expression of the "complete and utter dogshit software that has done every single thing wrong" form. It was sublime in it's shittyness.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

gently caress the Army

Because the contractors they hire to build them will take anyone with a pulse.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Does AKO still recommend that you downgrade to IE6 or whatever to use it, lol

brains
May 12, 2004

ALMS is a loving nightmare.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I lost a JSAM due to hosed up systems.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Mustang posted:

gently caress the Army

This post makes me very happy.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Yeah it feels like validation after watching many seasons of a show that could only end one way

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

gently caress the Army

I have a legit reason/story for this with a little insight.

I used to be an 89B and since I was "smart" I realized that trying to figure out how to manage stocks of ammunition through excel was infinitely easier than paper and pen or whatever the gently caress I had to do. I taught myself excel formulas, powerpoint, and word stuff to make a lot of variables. Things like classifying the ammo by lot number, serial number, DODIC, DODAC, condition code, amount of rounds etc. This so that I could receive a report of ammo, copy it and paste it into excel and have it populate for the ASPs that reported to me at the CSA which I packaged up and sent to the TSA. This was 2008-09 Iraq so this was a surge deployment.

When I arrived in Iraq (late deployed, appendix almost ruptured and would have over the Atlantic Ocean which is an awesome thing to hear a doctor say by the way), the reporting process took 12 hours. That's after units had reported. It was bad enough to need 24 hour shifts. It was so goddamn bad that I recreated the entire process. Soon after I was done building it, the reporting process grew more accurate, took 1 hour instead of 12, and was easily learned.

I literally created the accounting process for ammunition from 08-09 and it was used theatre wide, for how long, I don't know. Now I was curious about a few things. First was how to protect it and second was to make sure someone didn't erase it by accident trying to learn how to do it. Ownership was a no because Army equipment. However if I were to do it in my own time and equipment, and the system were implemented, the army would buy my model. However, a lot of these niche programs don't have a huge deadline or what have not to continually push updates because most of the hard work is done and gently caress you got mine.

I got hosed on my campaign award if you could imagine it, 3 senior NCOs curtailed off my success into warrants and I retired bitter as gently caress.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Dude if you even sort of remember how that worked I could help you create a SaaS JavaScript application with a nosql backend that we could sell to the Army for millions

That being said lol excel formulas

also it would be in SharePoint Online

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The amount of redundant systems, all of which are mandatory, none of which talk to each other, in Army stats-land is abysmal.

Oh btw, the OPSEC training class has like a 10 minute long TED talk from fuckin' 2012 that spends a ahitload of time just to say "cookies track you on the Internet did you know? Also I have zero solutions!"

It might be the most incompetently and stupidly designed online training I've ever taken, including the adventure of car-head-man in the CTIP training.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

No.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It would be thousands of code snippets using Angular I edited into a master page using a soon to be deprecated public SharePoint site :unsmigghh:

It would be my ultimate gently caress you Army

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I sure love logging into mandatory OPSEC training just to be told my flash, which I can't update due to OPSEC, is out of date.

Fortunately, this defaulted me into skipping ahead to the test and passing without the training because the Army's mandatory training is dumb as gently caress.

What must you do before leaving work?

A: Do lines off a show poodle's right left shank
B: Call Jimmy John's and place an order for a Vito
C: sell every single secret to Russia
D: Kill Everyone

Thanks quizmaster!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
everytime i go to a hotel i demand a room close the fire escape. I demand a biometric safe to store any PII digital media. I put electical tape over the peep hole in the door. I seal every window and other potential vector areas for a chemical attack with opaque sheets of plastic.

if I do have to leave my hotel room (can't trust room service, either) I crawl under my car, pop hood, trunk, and search for possible explosvies that the terrorists may have put there. I never take the same route to work twice. I do not place bumper stickers on my car that could identify potential risks to myself or my family.

I am an E4 cook in the army, and I learned these life skills from the counter terrorism training.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
hey guys spring is here lets sit around and review grilling and boat safety for, say, 2 hours, cant be safe enough

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

"learn how to stop" is pretty loving good advice for anyone on planet earth drawing a paycheck from uncle sam tbh

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I deliberately excluded astronauts from that assertion fyi

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

With the accident rate I'd say astronauts are pretty good at stopping

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

With the accident rate I'd say astronauts are pretty good at stopping

Challenger and Columbia are what happens when you don't wear a reflective belt. If only they had known! :smith:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

everytime i go to a hotel i demand a room close the fire escape.

And that's how you fail the pretest!

Die in a fire before having the risk of being abducted out a fire escape apparently!

Gee I wonder which risk is more likely.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
poo poo I had it backwards, god drat it you loving idiot, you moron

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

poo poo I had it backwards, god drat it you loving idiot, you moron

I hate myself for knowing you were wrong and for knowing that cars with AC are more terrorist proof.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

And that's how you fail the pretest!

Die in a fire before having the risk of being abducted out a fire escape apparently!

Gee I wonder which risk is more likely.

Dying is the ultimate infosec preventative measure.

The bad guys can't pick your brains for sensitive information if your brains have already been destroyed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm sorry GiP I have shamed you.

I achieved above minimum in my run this morning.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

milk milk lemonade posted:

Dude if you even sort of remember how that worked I could help you create a SaaS JavaScript application with a nosql backend that we could sell to the Army for millions

That being said lol excel formulas

I remember a sharepoint program that had two dude names on it that supposedly created he system before.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is a message about OPSEC to you from the Army (really, this is a real thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQZyHOXkoqU

e: lol at the comment from Jingle Jangle on Youtube:

Jingle Jangle1 week ago
Please sit on my face.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
play the one about date rape that invariably had soldiers cheering at a successful rape and then later trying to justify that they do the exact same poo poo all the time and women use it to ruin their careers or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't always have a GoPro going.