Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Whoa you've actually been in this place? I thought it was just something from the internet. How's the tile bedroom? Firm, clammy mattress?

The bedrooms are one of the few places that don't have tile actually.

Unfortunately, they all had ancient carpet (one of that had what was probably the original berber in it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Facebook Aunt posted:

They are ridiculously expensive. It has to have a door that seals like a submarine to prevent leaks.

The inconvenient part is that since you have to open the door to get in and out, so you have to sit there like a chump while the water fills and drains. Some of them have pumps to make that part faster, but that makes them even more expensive. Though if you are young and agile I suppose you could parkour your way in and out of the tub without opening the door.

I'd love to try one some day, they look comfortable.

Hell, if enough people get good at parkouring into them, you could probably start a company that makes door-less walk-in tubs! It'd probably make them cheaper, too! I think we're onto something here.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Drape Culture posted:

Oh that's definitely the toilet.

Also bonus since I know how much you all love tile counters

There's a safety lip. Or something.

It's really a miracle that people managed to survive the 60s.

e: reversed the links

what the gently caress? do you live in a Rec center?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

Pocket doors are terrible and a mark of a bad design.

What im saying is the OPs dream groverhaus is built entirely out of pocket doors.

Why the hate on pocket doors? I think they are efficient and neato.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

Pocket doors are poo poo for any sort of sound proofing, and the barn style sliders given even less.

I hide your sounds from the bathroom? :shrug:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burt Sexual posted:

I hide your sounds from the bathroom? :shrug:

Well-made pocket doors are as soundproof as any other door.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Patrick Spens posted:

How can you possibly hate anything more then the hundreds of tiny grout lines?

That's A LOT of counter too, so like half your saturdays are cleaning with a toothbrush.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Drape Culture posted:

Your tub can't fall through the floor if you pre-sink it.

--posted in thread dedicated to this exact thing happening for this exact reason

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Adiabatic posted:

Hell, if enough people get good at parkouring into them, you could probably start a company that makes door-less walk-in tubs! It'd probably make them cheaper, too! I think we're onto something here.

Hoists where the popular method before walk-in tubs figured out the water-tight door.

http://homeability.com/wall-floor-ceiling-mounted-bath-lift-guide/

fe: whoosh

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

HycoCam posted:

Hoists where the popular method before walk-in tubs figured out the water-tight door.

http://homeability.com/wall-floor-ceiling-mounted-bath-lift-guide/

fe: whoosh

-Rhonda Bonecutter

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Burt Sexual posted:

That's A LOT of counter too, so like half your saturdays are cleaning with a toothbrush.

I get out of it by rarely using that bathroom.

You should see the kitchen though (it's actually the same tile).

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SoundMonkey posted:

my shower is an affront to everything OP holds dear, there's a three foot long shelf that's like 8 inches deep. i could have a shower sixpack in there and still have room for a bong.

gently caress your minimalism shelves

Your sense of scale is off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SoundMonkey posted:

my shower is an affront to everything OP holds dear, there's a three foot long shelf that's like 8 inches deep. i could have a shower sixpack in there and still have room for a bong.

gently caress your minimalism shelves

Actually... this is a great idea. How can I build a well and ice dispenser into my shower so that I constantly have cold shower beers?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shower with bottles just sitting on the floor is making me depressed.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Adiabatic posted:

Then it's a Japanese soaking tub, and they rule.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Baronjutter posted:

Shower with bottles just sitting on the floor is making me depressed.

You're obviously going to police your empties.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Actually... this is a great idea. How can I build a well and ice dispenser into my shower so that I constantly have cold shower beers?

http://raritaneng.com/raritan-product-line/ice-makers/icerette-automatic-icecube-maker/

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

FoldableHuman posted:

Then it's a Japanese soaking tub, and they rule.

Hell yes, if we ever finish the roughed-in corner of our basement into a guest suite, the bathroom will be a wetroom with an ofuro.

Alternatively:

MenschMaschine fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 5, 2017

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

2. Prepare for old age with a walk in tub. Again the same footprint as a standard tub (or smaller) but deep.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but a tub that's deep enough to work as a walk-in is a tub deep enough to drunkenly pass out and drown in drown you if you happen to have a medical incident of some kind, or if your personal caretaker or nurse or whatever just happens to be real tired of your poo poo, okay and having a particularly bad day

Both of which are fairly not uncommon scenarios with old people, I should mention!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Any tub is deep enough to drown you if you have a medical incident.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whoa, I just saw this on twitter: https://twitter.com/neural_tv/status/860608978467901440
:tinfoil:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Drape Culture posted:

Your tub can't fall through the floor if you pre-sink it.

there is a towel rack six inches below the shower head :psyduck:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there is a towel rack six inches below the shower head :psyduck:

That's pretty common, it's for washcloths.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

That's pretty common, it's for washcloths.

They usually aren't this, uh, towel rackish though. Seriously though that bathroom looks like it was designed to evoke a gay bathhouse or a YMCA from the 1970s.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

El Estrago Bonito posted:

They usually aren't this, uh, towel rackish though. Seriously though that bathroom looks like it was designed to evoke a gay bathhouse or a YMCA from the 1970s.

It does look... humid. Somehow. Despite the photos clearly having been taken pre-move-in. And I can't imagine anyone's ever taken a bath in that tub since it puts your nose directly in line with the toilet seat.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I once looked at renting a place that had a wall mounted toilet paper roller inside the shower. I used my unfair influence to veto that place for a lot of reasons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Huntersoninski posted:

I once looked at renting a place that had a wall mounted toilet paper roller inside the shower. I used my unfair influence to veto that place for a lot of reasons.

Misandry!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

...a gay bathhouse or a YMCA from the 1970s.

It's cute that you think there's a difference.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Drape Culture posted:

I get out of it by rarely using that bathroom.

You should see the kitchen though (it's actually the same tile).

:stare:

Do you live in a time capsule home? I NEED to see the rest of it. I've got a thing for midcentury architecture and design -- my ultimate dream is to buy an atomic ranch and restore it to all its midecentury glory.

... I might find an alternative to the millions of little tiles, though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Do you live in a time capsule home? I NEED to see the rest of it. I've got a thing for midcentury architecture and design -- my ultimate dream is to buy an atomic ranch and restore it to all its midecentury glory.

I live In an ex-council house built in the 1950s you can buy if you like, it is a superb example of builder grade architecture. Pebble dashed exterior, stunning period Metal door frames, beautifully artexed walls, a coal 'ouse expertly converted into a pantry and a garden thoughtfully conscruted out of hardcore and rubble. The latter feature is an amazing opportunity for the metal detector enthusiast or beginner archaeologist - last week somone found a wheelbarrow left over from the original construction of their home while digging a grave for their cat! What will you find?

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 6, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

learnincurve posted:

I live In an ex-council house built in the 1950s you can buy if you like, it is a superb example of builder grade architecture. Pebble dashed exterior, stunning period Metal door frames, beautifully artexed walls, a coal 'ouse expertly converted into a pantry and a garden thoughtfully conscruted out of hardcore and rubble. The latter feature is an amazing opportunity for the metal detector enthusiast or beginner archaeologist - last week somone found a wheelbarrow left over from the original construction of their home while digging a grave for their cat! What will you find?

Someone's going to find a cat skeleton while digging to look for their wheelbarrow :barf:

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Pretty much.

It appears it was pretty much a construction worker's dream house from the early 60s. The original owner (and his brother) were both tile installers, hence the copious amounts of tile (almost every room is different, although some types are clearly from the same design line of tile). The only seriously wtf moment we've had was that the "master" bath had carpet in it, and clearly has always had carpet in it. For the life of me I cannot understand why this would be done that way, even in the 60s.

We're trying to fix some things as necessary, but the overall goal is to keep the character of the house.

It does look... humid. Somehow. Despite the photos clearly having been taken pre-move-in. And I can't imagine anyone's ever taken a bath in that tub since it puts your nose directly in line with the toilet seat.

The back of the bathroom used to be exposed with (I think) a sunken window. The second owner added on a garage behind the house, and when they did that they enclosed the window and turned it into a vent tunnel out to the edge of the slab. It's actually a pretty decent solution, but it does make the bathroom feel kinda dungeony.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I NEED to see the rest of it. I've got a thing for midcentury architecture and design --

This was in my kitchen when I inherited my grandparents' house. I would have restored it if I'd had any idea how, or if it had been a bit smaller. The stove pulled out of a tiny pocket!

((I'm fairly sure it was a Tappan fabulous 400.))

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 6, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
This is probably a mistake but whatever. It seems we have all calmed down a bit, myself included.

I'd like to say some things now. In a forum. On the internet.
- I said some things that sounded sexist. It was not my intention to sound this way. I don't consider myself to be sexist and I'll refrain from claiming I know everything women want in life. I may not be married, and while my personal relationships are of little relevance, i'm not disconnected from the female sex. Although, as mentioned by someone else, this forum is hardly representative of the average female. That being said, I still stand by my statement that women make home buying decisions (not unfairly, just factly).

- Many of you have expressed "concern" over my design. Stating that it looks akin to a modern Vegas hotel bathroom. Truth be told, if you had asked me what I wanted my bathroom remodel to look like, I would have used the words "modern Vegas hotel bathroom". So I believe I have achieved my goal. The design is not going to change. There will be ample storage, ample light and possibly some rocks. I have designed many rooms and several projects in my previous and current home and have received a lot of praise for those projects. I don't expect you all to like my design and that's ok cause you don't have to live in it, but if you're going tell me you think it looks like poo poo, please post pictures of your own bathroom (as some of you have done) so we can all ridicule you as well (also so I know whether or not you're qualified to dis my design). We all have different tastes, lets be a little more open minded.

- There are several hundred of you and only one of me. It's extremely hard to not get defensive when everyone is making GBS threads on you. 90% of you are just trolling me for your own comedy. That's not why I posted this thread. I'm glad I did post because I've certainly learned a lot (of my mistakes) in doing so. I understand I'm going to get made fun of. YOU should understand that everything is being handled appropriately. But please don't spend all of your energy picking apart everything I say just so you can make another joke. I might say some dumb things. I might say some things that aren't dumb but still get picked apart because I'm the whipping boy of this thread. Lets do our best to keep the trolling to a minimum if that's even possible here.

- I've said I'm not a very private person and will answer most any question I'm asked. But that doesn't mean you need to go posting pictures you found of me on the internet, despite how publicly available they are. This is supposedly ban worthy, unless for some reason "the mod thinks its ok just this once, but lets not do it again ok guys?" I've been asked why I don't just host my images on imgur. Well, back in the day hot-linking to images you didn't host yourself was a banable offence. I had always hosted my own images on my own site and just never changed. That's the only reason. Moving forward I will likely post them on imgur since some of you like to get all stalker and poo poo. Yes, I DJ on occasion, but really that site is just a shitbox for me to store things since I don't advertise anywhere with my DJ website.

- And what's with the job bashing? I mean, I assume no matter what job title I provided I would have gotten the same, "Oh that explains it. He's employed as X. No wonder he's such a fuckup!" Are Sales Engineers really that notoriously bad? Really its my job to keep sales people from saying things that aren't true and showing people how stuff works. It was not an easy job to get and not one that they hand to anyone with a high-school diploma. I do actually have to know a lot of stuff to do my job. But sales is sales, and I'm the last person that would call myself a "salesperson", but I don't know why we are just automatically bad people altogether.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now. Please be nice to me, I'm not better than anyone here, I just like different things.

Also I have nothing to report. Still waiting for engineering plans. Hoping to hear back on that next week.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 6, 2017

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
PS- Zamboni! if you don't mind guns and terrible building codes, come to tulsa Oklahoma. We have entire NEIGHBORHOODS of nearly untouched mid-century ranch style hones selling for under 100,000 dollars. Most are within walking or biking distance of grocery stores or shops. Our cost of living is low as hell.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 6, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

op you are actually a really good sport

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Freakbox posted:

This was in my kitchen when I inherited my grandparents' house. I would have restored it if I'd had any idea how, or if it had been a bit smaller. The stove pulled out of a tiny pocket!

((I'm fairly sure it was a Tappan fabulous 400.))

I don't really like electric ranges but that thing is a stunner. Do you have any pics of it all closed up? Was the cutting board removable?

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 6, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was digging to find my wheel-skeleton, and I found a barrow-cat.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is probably a mistake but whatever. It seems we have all calmed down a bit, myself included.

I'd like to say some things now. In a forum. On the internet.
- I said some things that sounded sexist. It was not my intention to sound this way. I don't consider myself to be sexist and I'll refrain from claiming I know everything women want in life. I may not be married, and while my personal relationships are of little relevance, i'm not disconnected from the female sex. Although, as mentioned by someone else, this forum is hardly representative of the average female. That being said, I still stand by my statement that women make home buying decisions (not unfairly, just factly).

- Many of you have expressed "concern" over my design. Stating that it looks akin to a modern Vegas hotel bathroom. Truth be told, if you had asked me what I wanted my bathroom remodel to look like, I would have used the words "modern Vegas hotel bathroom". So I believe I have achieved my goal. The design is not going to change. There will be ample storage, ample light and possibly some rocks. I have designed many rooms and several projects in my previous and current home and have received a lot of praise for those projects. I don't expect you all to like my design and that's ok cause you don't have to live in it, but if you're going tell me you think it looks like poo poo, please post pictures of your own bathroom (as some of you have done) so we can all ridicule you as well (also so I know whether or not you're qualified to dis my design). We all have different tastes, lets be a little more open minded.

- There are several hundred of you and only one of me. It's extremely hard to not get defensive when everyone is making GBS threads on you. 90% of you are just trolling me for your own comedy. That's not why I posted this thread. I'm glad I did post because I've certainly learned a lot (of my mistakes) in doing so. I understand I'm going to get made fun of. YOU should understand that everything is being handled appropriately. But please don't spend all of your energy picking apart everything I say just so you can make another joke. I might say some dumb things. I might say some things that aren't dumb but still get picked apart because I'm the whipping boy of this thread. Lets do our best to keep the trolling to a minimum if that's even possible here.

- I've said I'm not a very private person and will answer most any question I'm asked. But that doesn't mean you need to go posting pictures you found of me on the internet, despite how publicly available they are. This is supposedly ban worthy, unless for some reason "the mod thinks its ok just this once, but lets not do it again ok guys?" I've been asked why I don't just host my images on imgur. Well, back in the day hot-linking to images you didn't host yourself was a banable offence. I had always hosted my own images on my own site and just never changed. That's the only reason. Moving forward I will likely post them on imgur since some of you like to get all stalker and poo poo. Yes, I DJ on occasion, but really that site is just a shitbox for me to store things since I don't advertise anywhere with my DJ website.

- And what's with the job bashing? I mean, I assume no matter what job title I provided I would have gotten the same, "Oh that explains it. He's employed as X. No wonder he's such a fuckup!" Are Sales Engineers really that notoriously bad? Really its my job to keep sales people from saying things that aren't true and showing people how stuff works. It was not an easy job to get and not one that they hand to anyone with a high-school diploma. I do actually have to know a lot of stuff to do my job. But sales is sales, and I'm the last person that would call myself a "salesperson", but I don't know why we are just automatically bad people altogether.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now. Please be nice to me, I'm not better than anyone here, I just like different things.

Also I have nothing to report. Still waiting for engineering plans. Hoping to hear back on that next week.

Okay you don't have to be an artist to criticize a painting, and you don't have to have a master bathroom of the gods to be qualified to see that your design is bad, you slack-jawed shitbird.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

please actually report back on this because i've stayed in a lot of hotels of varying quality and in some of the nicer ones i've been like "this is a sweet bathroom, i wonder what it'd be like to have it all the time instead of like two days." i'm not planning to rip up my bathroom any time soon so i'm not likely to find out myself.

i have a feeling the answer is "great, but a pain to clean and maintain fixtures" but i legit want to know

question: what was your original timeline for this project? or just a "done when it's done" sorta thing? do you still plan to do roughly the same extent of renovations as before (as much as is possible after the engineer looks at it)?

also thanks for coming back

• Locked thread