Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ChesterJT posted:

And I hear high school teachers are all raping their kids too! It's a madhouse!

I am sorry you had to find out like this, but maybe now you can grow up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The 99 is always portrayed as a bit utopian- they act irresponsibly for comic effect, but they're not in a war zone mentality or overrun with white supremacists like many actual PDs. So when a cop does a bigoted thing they do the right thing and report it rather than close ranks. It's consistently been shown that the rest of the NYPD isn't necessarily that good- they're often a force in opposition, playing petty politics with the 99.

So it's less a "few bad apples" situation than sort of the inverse, where the 99 are the few good cops out there.

Basically you have to treat it a bit like Star Trek and accept it takes place in a world better than ours.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

The 99 is always portrayed as a bit utopian- they act irresponsibly for comic effect, but they're not in a war zone mentality or overrun with white supremacists like many actual PDs. So when a cop does a bigoted thing they do the right thing and report it rather than close ranks. It's consistently been shown that the rest of the NYPD isn't necessarily that good- they're often a force in opposition, playing petty politics with the 99.

So it's less a "few bad apples" situation than sort of the inverse, where the 99 are the few good cops out there.

Basically you have to treat it a bit like Star Trek and accept it takes place in a world better than ours.

Yeah, a Brooklyn you can afford to buy a house in on a cop's salary.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
As a resident of Brooklyn, I'm curious as to where the 99th precinct is supposed to be located.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh man. How bad was it? I have to watch.

I didn't think it was that bad, though it was years ago that I watched it.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As a resident of Brooklyn, I'm curious as to where the 99th precinct is supposed to be located.

The map and station building are of the 78th Precinct, which covers places such as Gowanus, Prospect Park and the Barclays Center.

Whiz Palace fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 4, 2017

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Whiz Palace posted:

The map and station building are of the 78th Precinct, which covers places such as Gowanus, Prospect Park and the Barclays Center.

poo poo, I shouldn't have asked, because now I'm wondering how that gives them jurisdiction to arrest someone at the Bay Ridge LIRR freight terminal a few seasons back.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

poo poo, I shouldn't have asked, because now I'm wondering how that gives them jurisdiction to arrest someone at the Bay Ridge LIRR freight terminal a few seasons back.

And so the thread reached Peak Sperg.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
*takes a bow*

*and a few ribbons*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jurisdiction isn't a thing that works like TV says it does. In a pursuit or on a warrant a cop can arrest anyone if they're in their state.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jurisdiction isn't a thing that works like TV says it does. In a pursuit or on a warrant a cop can arrest anyone if they're in their state.

Wait, are you talking about in TV Land or in reality? Because jurisdiction is absolutely something different precincts will wave their dicks at each other about. A large part of the issue with the corrupt NYPD of the 70s and 80s was that the Manhattan DA had a jurisdictional problem trying to get any cases together against organized crime in Brooklyn and Queens.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wait, are you talking about in TV Land or in reality? Because jurisdiction is absolutely something different precincts will wave their dicks at each other about. A large part of the issue with the corrupt NYPD of the 70s and 80s was that the Manhattan DA had a jurisdictional problem trying to get any cases together against organized crime in Brooklyn and Queens.

I think there's a difference between originating a case in another jurisdiction or just pursuing a perp from your district to another. I can't remember the details of that episode though so I forget how they ended up at the LIRR.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I think they should make a show about cops and make its musical. Maybe sing about selling babies

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I think they should make a show about cops and make its musical. Maybe sing about selling babies

This guy gets it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLm5Sn1cMyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ9rX0ImqJU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

so you imagine it working in a way that if a cop is pursuing someone and they cross onto the west side of the street which is a jurisdictional boundary, the cop gives up and turns around?

cmon man

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TommyGun85 posted:

so you imagine it working in a way that if a cop is pursuing someone and they cross onto the west side of the street which is a jurisdictional boundary, the cop gives up and turns around?

cmon man

There's a difference between one side of the street versus the other, and a neighborhood that is literally eighty blocks south of their jurisdiction.

And, if I remember correctly, they weren't in the middle of a pursuit, they had set up a sting operation there.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Amy volunteered to do the paperwork. Case closed. :colbert:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also in Parks and Rec they violated a shitton of hiring rules.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also in Parks and Rec they violated a shitton of hiring rules.

Pawnee, Indiana doesn't exist. Brooklyn, New York does.

I'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pawnee, Indiana doesn't exist. Brooklyn, New York does.

I'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat.
False. Indiana is more real than New York.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I want to watch a spin off of Law and Order or some other crime show that's just about lawyers or whatever arguing about jurisdiction for 42 minutes every week.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fresh Prince was amazing at that, but it was set in a less cartoony world than B99.

You say that, but Fresh Prince would break the 4th wall fairly often and sometimes outright show the set. It might be less cartoony as a whole, but it had all kinds of silly over the top moments that B99 would never touch.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

FactsAreUseless posted:

False. Indiana is more real than New York.

If by "more real" you mean "one giant truck stop" then yeah sure. Gloryholes galore and meth are real af.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
http://imgur.com/a/24m9X

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
wow- that episode felt like it was written by a high schooler

did not like

e: eh, talking about the "Terry gets racially profiled" episode

starkebn fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 10, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
8 drink Amy is an equestrian... and not a good one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Eight drink Amy is an equestrian! And real bad at it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Kevin is fine. Cheddar is a dog. He has no concept of good or bad. :geno:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to enter the color beige?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Of course Holt loves trains.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

starkebn posted:

wow- that episode felt like it was written by a high schooler

did not like

e: eh, talking about the "Terry gets racially profiled" episode

Gonna expand on this at all

starkebn
May 18, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gonna expand on this at all

the episode went from the worst manic joke writing about "parenting!" to basically the other parts of the cast turning to the camera and saying "this issue is bad". I've got no worry with the content or the message at all but the delivery was seriously bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh well that didn't happen so I guess never mind?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

just go back to posting funny lines when they're said on the show, never mind

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh well that didn't happen so I guess never mind?

Except that it kinda was though. It was an incredibly clumsy attempt to go "really makes u think, am i rite?"

The set up was great; Terry gets stopped for walking while black at night by a racist cop. Then it becomes a parenting comedy and the kids' questions are answered by the most condescending bullshit ever after a couple jokes abotu cake or whatever. If you're going to include unfunny kid parts, then at least write better audience insert explanations.

The dinner scene was good, showing the racist cop rationalizing his racism with the numbers and crime statistics, and also his skewed sense regarding cops vs citizens.

It wasn't an imprtant epsiode as much as it was a throwaway gag in blackface. The episodes touching on Holt being gay and black in the 70s had more nuance and relevance.

The ending where Hoilt supports Terry was a sweet character-building moment for the captain, not any attempt to resolve the storyline or shine a light deeper into systemic racism and the blue shield. It was an "eh, huh," episode, not an "Oh my god, wow," episode.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 10, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So the parts actually dealing with the plot were good but it was actually bad because???????

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

So the parts actually dealing with the plot were good but it was actually bad because???????

You're being an idiot. The episode was clunky and badly-written, and mishandled the subject matter. It's okay for people to criticize things.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I agree that it's fine to criticize something, but you literally said

Exactly, which is why I'd rather they just didn't touch racial profiling, however good their intentions may have been.
So don't pretend you're just saying "i'm just having some mild criticisms" when you're actually saying "This episode was the worst episode and it has no redeeming qualities and should never have existed". From your posts you just seem to hate everything, which is kinda useless since that just means everything is equally important in terms of being worthy to hate.

Drifter posted:

Except that it kinda was though. It was an incredibly clumsy attempt to go "really makes u think, am i rite?"

The set up was great; Terry gets stopped for walking while black at night by a racist cop. Then it becomes a parenting comedy and the kids' questions are answered by the most condescending bullshit ever after a couple jokes abotu cake or whatever. If you're going to include unfunny kid parts, then at least write better audience insert explanations.

The dinner scene was good, showing the racist cop rationalizing his racism with the numbers and crime statistics, and also his skewed sense regarding cops vs citizens.

It wasn't an imprtant epsiode as much as it was a throwaway gag in blackface. The episodes touching on Holt being gay and black in the 70s had more nuance and relevance.

The ending where Hoilt supports Terry was a sweet character-building moment for the captain, not any attempt to resolve the storyline or shine a light deeper into systemic racism and the blue shield. It was an "eh, huh," episode, not an "Oh my god, wow," episode.

What would you have them do differently? I mean if they resolved it fully and the police dude got fired or whatever, that would be super messed up and send the wrong message, unless there's a different way to resolve you're thinking of? It definitely was rough at balancing real and serious topics with the standard light hearted situational comedy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You're being an idiot. The episode was clunky and badly-written, and mishandled the subject matter. It's okay for people to criticize things.

When people start doing that then cool, but that isn't what is happening here. I think thing is bad is not a criticism its just a statement. The only real criticism I have seen is that the kids stuff was kind of weirdly placed but a comedy show has to have some attempts at comedy in them. Which is what that part was for.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Megaspel posted:

I agree that it's fine to criticize something, but you literally said

So don't pretend you're just saying "i'm just having some mild criticisms" when you're actually saying "This episode was the worst episode and it has no redeeming qualities and should never have existed". From your posts you just seem to hate everything, which is kinda useless since that just means everything is equally important in terms of being worthy to hate.

What would you have them do differently? I mean if they resolved it fully and the police dude got fired or whatever, that would be super messed up and send the wrong message, unless there's a different way to resolve you're thinking of? It definitely was rough at balancing real and serious topics with the standard light hearted situational comedy.

I am not the one Charlesthehammer was bitching about, duder. I also didn't say this episode was "the worst," I quite liked Holt's speech to Terry. Calm the gently caress down.

What I would have liked them to do differently was choose a topic appropriate to the tone and world of the show, or at the very least write the scenes with Terry's kids better, because they were hamhanded and boring.

CharlestheHammer posted:

When people start doing that then cool, but that isn't what is happening here. I think thing is bad is not a criticism its just a statement. The only real criticism I have seen is that the kids stuff was kind of weirdly placed but a comedy show has to have some attempts at comedy in them. Which is what that part was for.

Try actually reading the thread then? Idk what to tell you.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 10, 2017

• Locked thread