Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

op you are actually a really good sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

op you are actually a really good sport

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't really like electric ranges but that thing is a stunner. Do you have any pics of it all closed up? Was the cutting board removable?

I don't have the stove anymore ((I donated it to a retro-obsessed friend who fixed it up, which would have made grandma very happy :3:)), but I found a reference pic of it closed. I think the cutting board could come out or could be converted to match your cabinetry...

....of which mine is, currently, that white plasticy stuff with green and gold stringies in it. Thanks, the 1960s/70s. At least the house is/was free and fully paid off.

((Even if it's full of mystery sockets and what I'm absolutely certain is terribly out of code wiring in the oldest half of the house. :gonk: I have a lot of smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.))

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

bEatmstrJ posted:

).
. I don't expect you all to like my design and that's ok cause you don't have to live in it, but if you're going tell me you think it looks like poo poo, please post pictures of your own bathroom (as some of you have done) so we can all ridicule you as well (also so I know whether or not you're qualified to dis my design).

That's not how life works you jackass. New page. gently caress you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Also I feel like just not apologizing for your comments would have been better than "I'm sorry, but I'm not sexist, also I'm right, and you're not women, you're GOOOOONS," but what would I know? After all, it's men who make the posting decisions.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is probably a mistake but whatever. It seems we have all calmed down a bit, myself included.

I'd like to say some things now. In a forum. On the internet.
- I said some things that sounded sexist. It was not my intention to sound this way. I don't consider myself to be sexist and I'll refrain from claiming I know everything women want in life. I may not be married, and while my personal relationships are of little relevance, i'm not disconnected from the female sex. Although, as mentioned by someone else, this forum is hardly representative of the average female. That being said, I still stand by my statement that women make home buying decisions (not unfairly, just factly).
Hey OP, one of the reasons we made fun of you is because you keep calling women "females." That's a really lovely, dehumanizing thing to do. We even have an emote about it :females:

Don't do that. Women are people. When you say "females" it reduces us to nothing but our gender. That's the way people talk about animals. It's insulting to do that to a human being and says a lot about who you are.

Your obsession with women having a voice in home buying (aka their own homes, because they are people) is lovely too. If you don't think it's "unfair," why did you say it was and why aren't you letting it drop?

quote:

- Many of you have expressed "concern" over my design. Stating that it looks akin to a modern Vegas hotel bathroom. Truth be told, if you had asked me what I wanted my bathroom remodel to look like, I would have used the words "modern Vegas hotel bathroom".
lmao I bet your favorite meal comes from Olive Garden

quote:

- There are several hundred of you and only one of me.
MAYBE a dozen, you crybaby.

quote:

I'm the whipping boy of this thread.
People were really patient with you, telling you how not to kill yourself and your home's future occupants, and you were a smug rear end in a top hat to them. Even when you broke out the sexism I, the ghost who stalks D&D, treated you with kid gloves. You're not a whipping boy, you're a poster boy - for fragile masculinity.

quote:

pictures
Pretty much nobody thought that was cool, but it wasn't bannable because it was something you linked to yourself. For future reference, imgur is an image hosting website and almost everyone hosts the images they post on SA on there.

quote:

Are Sales Engineers really that notoriously bad?
Yes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well at least we've seen his posts, so we know whether or not he's qualified to dis ours...

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

SoundMonkey posted:

please actually report back on this because i've stayed in a lot of hotels of varying quality and in some of the nicer ones i've been like "this is a sweet bathroom, i wonder what it'd be like to have it all the time instead of like two days." i'm not planning to rip up my bathroom any time soon so i'm not likely to find out myself.

i have a feeling the answer is "great, but a pain to clean and maintain fixtures" but i legit want to know

question: what was your original timeline for this project? or just a "done when it's done" sorta thing? do you still plan to do roughly the same extent of renovations as before (as much as is possible after the engineer looks at it)?

also thanks for coming back

Well, your thoughts and my thoughts are similar. I've always loved modern design and I figured, in theory, it would be a nice compliment to the "modern Vegas hotel bedroom" that I have now.

Having a large bathroom is going to be difficult to clean no matter what, but for the most part i'm a pretty clean person so it doesn't get excessively dirty. I never had a problem keeping my previous bathroom clean, but now I'm fortunate enough to have a house cleaner to make things a bit easier (just not during my renovation, so things are kinda poo poo right now).

My original timeline was somewhere around 6 months. I started in early January and even with contractor delays I should be relatively close to finishing around that time, maybe slightly later (really this is just dependent upon the permit approval time). It's not really an issue being that I still have a fully functional bathroom, but it would be nice to finish a bit sooner.

The plan hasn't changed from the original design at all as of yet. If the engineer comes back and says, sorry we have to nix the dropped tub, then so be it, but so far so good. If anything, I've added things since my original plan.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

To backtrack to Tile Hell for a moment, because honestly it's sort of more interesting:

Drape Culture posted:

It appears it was pretty much a construction worker's dream house from the early 60s. The original owner (and his brother) were both tile installers, hence the copious amounts of tile (almost every room is different, although some types are clearly from the same design line of tile). The only seriously wtf moment we've had was that the "master" bath had carpet in it, and clearly has always had carpet in it. For the life of me I cannot understand why this would be done that way, even in the 60s.

I have to ask -- is there, or was there ever, a divider between the sunken shower/tub and the toilet, of any sort? Like, is there a shower curtain bar off-camera? Or is it assumed that taking a bath/shower in privacy in there means closing off the whole bathroom? It may be a moot point depending on the bathrooms:residents ratio of the home, but I can't imagine how awkward this situation could get.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You need to fix your entire floor. lol you think you'll be able to continue on any of this

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Hey OP, one of the reasons we made fun of you is because you keep calling women "females." That's a really lovely, dehumanizing thing to do. We even have an emote about it :females:

Don't do that. Women are people. When you say "females" it reduces us to nothing but our gender. That's the way people talk about animals. It's insulting to do that to a human being and says a lot about who you are.

Your obsession with women having a voice in home buying (aka their own homes, because they are people) is lovely too. If you don't think it's "unfair," why did you say it was and why aren't you letting it drop?

lmao I bet your favorite meal comes from Olive Garden

MAYBE a dozen, you crybaby.

People were really patient with you, telling you how not to kill yourself and your home's future occupants, and you were a smug rear end in a top hat to them. Even when you broke out the sexism I, the ghost who stalks D&D, treated you with kid gloves. You're not a whipping boy, you're a poster boy - for fragile masculinity.

Pretty much nobody thought that was cool, but it wasn't bannable because it was something you linked to yourself. For future reference, imgur is an image hosting website and almost everyone hosts the images they post on SA on there.

Yes.

Please don't drag me back into a "sexist rant", but the whole picking apart what I said is exactly this. I think (I HOPE) its clear to everyone that I'm being sincere and not trying to insult anyone. I think it's pretty clear i'm not referring to animals when I say female, it's semantics.

I was merely posting facts that women have a voice in the home buying process. But you're right, lets drop it. Please.

lmao, Olive Garden! So lolz! Also, not even close.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

Please don't drag me back into a "sexist rant", but the whole picking apart what I said is exactly this. I think (I HOPE) its clear to everyone that I'm being sincere and not trying to insult anyone. I think it's pretty clear i'm not referring to animals when I say female, it's semantics.

I was merely posting facts that women have a voice in the home buying process. But you're right, lets drop it. Please.

Do not loving call women "females" you loving rear end in a top hat. If your defense against being told your behavior is sexist is "don't criticize me or I'll get even more sexist!" you are loving trash and I hope your electrified bedframe burns your chinstrap off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Antivehicular posted:

I have to ask -- is there, or was there ever, a divider between the sunken shower/tub and the toilet, of any sort? Like, is there a shower curtain bar off-camera? Or is it assumed that taking a bath/shower in privacy in there means closing off the whole bathroom? It may be a moot point depending on the bathrooms:residents ratio of the home, but I can't imagine how awkward this situation could get.

What? When someone is using the tub/shower nobody else gets to use the room, shower curtain or not. I'm not going to be soaking in the tub while a family member is making GBS threads 2 feet away, even if the shower curtain is closed so we don't actually see each other.

What you do in a single bathroom home is if you are planning to do anything that will take more than 15 minutes is holler out "I'm gonna take a bath, anyone need to use the bathroom first?" If nobody needs to go, it's assumed you have the room for up to an hour.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

Why do you call women "females"?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

What? When someone is using the tub/shower nobody else gets to use the room, shower curtain or not. I'm not going to be soaking in the tub while a family member is making GBS threads 2 feet away, even if the shower curtain is closed so we don't actually see each other.

What you do in a single bathroom home is if you are planning to do anything that will take more than 15 minutes is holler out "I'm gonna take a bath, anyone need to use the bathroom first?" If nobody needs to go, it's assumed you have the room for up to an hour.

I'm totally with you but being able to do that is definitely a luxury. A single bathroom home with kids who need to get to school and adults who need to get to work is going to double up often.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Hey OP, here's a picture of the bathroom in my new home (excuse the drywall debris on the floor, the ceiling is a work in progress).

It's small, and in desperate need of updating, but I haven't caused thousands of dollars in structural damage, so I'm gonna continue posting however I choose to.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is pretty reasonable! I think I was mostly thinking of little-kid-related situations where they may not be able to wait and have no shame, but I suppose living with little kids means yielding any expectation of bathroom privacy, shower curtain or not.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Do not loving call women "females" you loving rear end in a top hat. If your defense against being told your behavior is sexist is "don't criticize me or I'll get even more sexist!" you are loving trash and I hope your electrified bedframe burns your chinstrap off.

You are the worst kind of female.

Its loving semantics, get over it.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Hey OP, here's a picture of the bathroom in my new home (excuse the drywall debris on the floor, the ceiling is a work in progress).

It's small, and in desperate need of updating, but I haven't caused thousands of dollars in structural damage, so I'm gonna continue posting however I choose to.

Sounds good. I don't understand why bathrooms come with carpet. This has never seemed like a good idea to me. I also have small bathrooms that could probably use some updating.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

It's pretty clever to leave the carpet in while you finish the ceiling, that way it's like a drop cloth when you rip out the carpet.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Snak posted:

It's pretty clever to leave the carpet in while you finish the ceiling, that way it's like a drop cloth when you rip out the carpet.

In the same vein, paint before you take the carpet out for the same reason.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Snak posted:

Huh? That's brand new carpet, I just installed it.

Nah, that poo poo's coming out once some more pressing jobs are done (I'm re-siding the house right now). lovely prefab shower is getting ripped out and tiled, vanity is getting replaced. And of course, going gfci before anyone points it out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

bEatmstrJ posted:

:goonsay:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

Explains why at your late 30s you are single.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

OP i'm staring at a report right now and the word 'females' is just sitting there staring back at me and it's becoming increasingly harder not to do something about it

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

OP i'm staring at a report right now and the word 'females' is just sitting there staring back at me and it's becoming increasingly harder not to do something about it

Please wait. There might be more funny from OP.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty sure the worst kind of female is Tubgirl.

1.) A female
2.) Tub issues
3.) Makes all the decisions about where the poop goes.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Tiny Brontosaurus has made me laugh a few times in this thread, so, best type of female?

Also, full disclosure, my female is pushing hard for a bigger tub in our main bathroom, because she loves baths, and I'd say she had more 'say' when we were house hunting. So, worst type of female?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

If you think about it, he has the perfect system. The wrapping-paper bedroom wall gets the dames in the mood at night, and the mold-smelling bath dungeon gets the broads showered as quickly as possible and out the door by 7 AM the next morning. No muss, no fuss!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Freakbox posted:

This was in my kitchen when I inherited my grandparents' house. I would have restored it if I'd had any idea how, or if it had been a bit smaller. The stove pulled out of a tiny pocket!

((I'm fairly sure it was a Tappan fabulous 400.))

I don't really like electric ranges but that thing is a stunner. Do you have any pics of it all closed up? Was the cutting board removable?

My wife's grandparents have that stove, or one just like it, and we've got our eyes on the house when they either pass or move to a retirement home.

I'll take some pictures when we're over there next.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

It really doesn't actually. There are far better reasons. But bitching about minor details makes you a cranky nag. My message and intentions were clear. There was no need to rip it apart because someone feels violated over a subtly different word.

Real question: Has any man in this thread ever been upset by being called a male? If more than three people say yes I'll stop saying female.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bEatmstrJ posted:

Literally all you have to say is "Ok, I'll say women like a normal person". It's so easy, and yet you just can't do it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

It really doesn't actually. There are far better reasons. But bitching about minor details makes you a cranky nag. My message and intentions were clear. There was no need to rip it apart because someone feels violated over a subtly different word.

Real question: Has any man in this thread ever been upset by being called a male? If more than three people say yes I'll stop saying female.

You know, I'll tell you something: one of your co-workers asked me about this thread which is how I became aware of it. This is the reason why I mock you as a sales engineer because I know exactly what you do.

Also yes. Some people who are identified as male do happen to take exception to it. I am one of them.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

bEatmstrJ posted:

I like how you are explicitly calling for four men to back up the woman's opinion before you'll take it seriously. Great way to back up your non-sexism.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Seriously, "cranky nag?" Is someone going to get called a "virago" by page 50?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bEatmstrJ posted:

It can definitely be creepy and weird, absolutely. Just like the use of :females: can be creepy and weird. Like how you used it, for example.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

bEatmstrJ posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you??

edit;

bEatmstrJ posted:

:lol:

Probably a :siren:FEMALE:siren: that reported you, am I right, OP?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

Just stop posting about anything to do with women, you goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

yeah sorry folks but that was neckbeardy as hell and i don't think anyone can claim comedy was being generated by this interaction

• Locked thread