Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

FishBulb posted:

Apparently TCM is showing a movie about Peter Weller fighting a giant rat on their Saturday over night thing.

How big of a rat are we talkin' here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mecha Gojira posted:

How big of a rat are we talkin' here?

Well it fits in his brownstone so I can't imagine it's too big but it's still pretty giant for a rat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FishBulb posted:

Don't buy any tickets just go see how much popcorn they will give you

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Oprah should have run. You can debate whether or not Bernie Sanders could have beaten Trump, but there's no way on Earth Oprah would have lost to Trump.

Oprah/Michelle 2020 let's get it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

You should read about how automobiles were introduced to American society and the ensuing bloodbaths.

The most common form of transportation were horses, which had an average life-span of 2 years. Best case scenario the horse just collapsed from exhaustion and died in it's tracks. Worst case scenario, it was injured and was shot dead in it's tracks. Either way, it was common for urban areas to have dead horses throughout the city, because it wasn't required for the owner to move it, and they had horse corpse cleaning corps that would get to it eventually. Imagine a city in the heat of summer with half a dozen dead horses rotting in the street. That was normal.

There were no such things as playgrounds or parks for kids to play in urban areas, they played in the streets. The most they had to worry about were horses and carriages.

When cars were introduced, they would go around 20mph through the city streets. People didn't look, they didn't care, so hundreds of people were getting mowed down by cars just because they didn't know what they were and the drivers didn't stop. They'd see a car coming and assume it's going to stop. The driver saw the person and assumed they'd move. Bang. Hundreds and hundreds of people, mostly kids. People's reaction: make kids play in the street more, protest by standing in the street and refusing to move (and get killed). People fought for the right for kids to be able to play in the streets and get hit by cars.

It took several decades just to figure out traffic laws and how to implement them into society. It's also why they created the children's game "Red Light Green Light", but it only lowered the mortality rate by a little.

People are so dumb. Ridiculously dumb.

North Carolina's legislature just passed a bill that will make it legal to hit protestors with your car if they're blocking the street.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
jesus christ.

It will be interesting to see how that holds up in court...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is fantastic. I'd say it ties with the original for best Marvel movie, but Vol. 2 has a lot of emotional involvement in each character's arc.

Michael Rooker should not make me cry, but he did.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Snak posted:

jesus christ.

It will be interesting to see how that holds up in court...

Technically it says you can "drive through them" if they're blocking the street. But let's be honest about how this is going to play out and which group of people they're referring to by "protestors".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is fantastic. I'd say it ties with the original for best Marvel movie, but Vol. 2 has a lot of emotional involvement in each character's arc.

Michael Rooker should not make me cry, but he did.

There was flashes of Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer in that scene where he's staring at his reflection after laying some pipe, and he was the only one besides Laser Face's crew who started stacking bodies when he got a hold of his punk as gently caress mohawk. I liked they let you know his was the story to pay attention to by literally turning the other plot into a video game, complete with goony rear end kids sitting in an arcade, watching the action and keeping score.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

There was flashes of Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer in that scene where he's staring at his reflection after laying some pipe, and he was the only one besides Laser Face's crew who started stacking bodies when he got a hold of his punk as gently caress mohawk. I liked they let you know his was the story to pay attention to by literally turning the other plot into a video game, complete with goony rear end kids sitting in an arcade, watching the action and keeping score.

Yeah, there's no denying he's great in Henry, but Yondu's story is much more emotionally gratifying instead of soul-crushing.

I just really appreciate that they continued the character arc from the original that he's always been Quill's father figure, despite neither of them really wanting to admit it. I also liked how they incorporated his actual comic book background from the original original Guardians group. That and giving him and Rocket time to find empathy with each other, which helped them both admit who they are so they could fully realize what they have in their "family". One of the greatest compliments I can give to a movie is when they make me say "Please don't let that character die". To make that character Michael Rooker is insane.. All around great movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

It kinda sucks that he signed a pro-Israel letter, though, I thought he was one of the only pro-Palestine politicians, but I guess not.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Reading Thomas Frank's Listen, Liberal it's really really good

I saw a speech he gave at the Kansas City Public Library because one of my super-liberal absurdly-pro-Hillary friends wanted my girlfriend and I to watch. I was concerned it was going to be all neoliberal double-down bullshit, but he told it how it is and made a very strong anti-Hillary argument.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It kinda sucks that he signed a pro-Israel letter, though, I thought he was one of the only pro-Palestine politicians, but I guess not.

damned if u do, damned if u don't

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hey y'all.

If you wanted to see the film I co-wrote and co-directed, it can be seen here. Needs some sound mixing here and there, so if you wanted to toss some ideas my way, would be greatly appreciated.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

FishBulb posted:

Well it fits in his brownstone so I can't imagine it's too big but it's still pretty giant for a rat

drat, was hoping it was at least man-sized.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, there's no denying he's great in Henry, but Yondu's story is much more emotionally gratifying instead of soul-crushing.

I just really appreciate that they continued the character arc from the original that he's always been Quill's father figure, despite neither of them really wanting to admit it. I also liked how they incorporated his actual comic book background from the original original Guardians group. That and giving him and Rocket time to find empathy with each other, which helped them both admit who they are so they could fully realize what they have in their "family". One of the greatest compliments I can give to a movie is when they make me say "Please don't let that character die". To make that character Michael Rooker is insane.. All around great movie.

Yondu and Rocket are the new Henry and Otis.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Criminal Minded posted:

Why is this not a movie? I want 90 minutes of idiots being slowly mowed down by primitive automobiles, filmed as a really morbid silent comedy

Get Guy Maddin on the phone!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's Karl Marx's birthday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_o9HkYCtQs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Franchescanado posted:

Yep. In the year 2017, a movie caused me to cry at Michael Rooker's death. It's an impressive feat from James Gunn and even moreso from Rooker.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Yep. In the year 2017, a movie caused me to cry at Michael Rooker's death. It's an impressive feat from James Gunn and even moreso from Rooker.

"I'm Mary Poppins, Yo!" was such a great moment between Yondu and Star-Lord.

I'm seeing it again on Sunday.

Also, how do you top the "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" ending of the original? A hero's death and a viking's funeral with his new family and his old friends, set to Cat Stevens "Father and Son". drat. Just drat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When that song came on I cried harder.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Father and son themes and plots are a guaranteed way to make me cry, and that ending hosed with me.

"He may have been your father, but he wasn't your daddy!" "In a way, my father wasHasselhoff." speech... drat.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey y'all thanks for using spoiler tags so well but please take the Guardians discussion to the thread for it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I saw a speech he gave at the Kansas City Public Library because one of my super-liberal absurdly-pro-Hillary friends wanted my girlfriend and I to watch. I was concerned it was going to be all neoliberal double-down bullshit, but he told it how it is and made a very strong anti-Hillary argument.

Yeah it's not great but baby steps I guess :shrug:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I just got done watching Rogue One, it was good. It's all kinds of funny that none of the OT characters will ever know or care about anyone in R1, it's kinda refreshing for Star Wars.

Also, good-guy terrorism in a Disney movie O___O

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Death By The Blues posted:

Hey y'all.

If you wanted to see the film I co-wrote and co-directed, it can be seen here. Needs some sound mixing here and there, so if you wanted to toss some ideas my way, would be greatly appreciated.

Hell yeah, glad to see this all panned out

EDIT: Overall this is a great piece that's really let down by its middle. You interested in critique outside of the sound mixing and design, or are you keeping it to those areas right now?

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 6, 2017

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
wraith vs crow, car vs guitar, only one will be watched, you have 20 minutes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I need you to watch Wraith, because it's been on my netflix queue for awhile but I haven't watched it yet and would really like to know if it's any good. And if it's good, have someone to talk to about it after I watch it.

edit: Also, I think one of the videos on New Retro Wave uses clips from Wraith, so I have a hunch it's awesome.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Doubt it'll be the winner, but The Wraith(1986, cinematographer Reed Smoot).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'mm a vote Wraith also, because I was kinda unimpressed with The Crow. I doubt most of us would remember it existed if it weren't for Brandon Lee dieing

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

If you're into undead revenant movies, I highly recommend Dead Heat, a buddy cop film that goes completely berserk in the final act.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I feel like Wraith is the real solid underdog here, because The Crow is like, a big cult phenomenon with like 4(5?) sequels. And it's also just kind of mediocre. It came out at the perfect time for gothness, and the fact that someone loving died during it, is there a better subculture for that to happen in, in terms of cult status?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

I mean, I feel like Wraith is the real solid underdog here, because The Crow is like, a big cult phenomenon with like 4(5?) sequels. And it's also just kind of mediocre. It came out at the perfect time for gothness, and the fact that someone loving died during it, is there a better subculture for that to happen in, in terms of cult status?

Nascar fans still buy Dale Earndheart memorabilia.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My movie watching has slowed because I'm going through new MST3K. Carnival Magic :stare:

ruddiger posted:

Oprah/Michelle 2020 let's get it.

Oprah would be great because the Republicans would have to just come out and say not to vote for her because she's a black woman. What are they going to do, denigrate her for being a TV personality or being rich? At least she hasn't run her company into the ground six times and actually has talent for something other than loving over people.

Michelle Obama deserves better, though, especially after eight years of poo poo.

Still, I'd vote for them in a heartbeat.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

2 minutes in and The Wraith is wild as hell

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'd vote for Oprah just so I could finally say "yeah, Roger Ebert probably hosed the president"

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Just saw Guardians. Wow was it a good movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Apparently Batista is in Blade Runner 2. I'm happy for the dude.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Gatts posted:

Apparently Batista is in Blade Runner 2. I'm happy for the dude.

Hmm... he was pretty funny in this role. Don't know if that will translate well to other roles, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Egbert Souse posted:

My movie watching has slowed because I'm going through new MST3K. Carnival Magic :stare:

Oprah would be great because the Republicans would have to just come out and say not to vote for her because she's a black woman. What are they going to do, denigrate her for being a TV personality or being rich? At least she hasn't run her company into the ground six times and actually has talent for something other than loving over people.

some bullshit bellyaching about her history with drugs probably.

Like, if you're a black woman who had a less than perfect childhood, you're going to get a billion people "questioning" every poor decision you ever made. Even if the same sort of drug use (say, cocaine and heavy alcohol use while in college/adolescence at an ivy league school) would get a couple blinks and a "what does that have to do with anything" if you're a white guy.

Actually, the most hilarious thing that would come up during a Trump/Oprah election is the fact that Oprah held an 80th birthday party for Maya Angelou at Mar-a-Lago. And all of the leftists (somewhat rightfully, but probably without tact) complaining about her advocation of bullshit like The Secret.

edit: Michelle Obama is great but I would not wish a political career on her when she clearly, directly, and repeatedly states that she doesn't want one. Phil Donahue is still alive, and him and Oprah were both criticized for being anti-war during the advent of Iraq back in 2003/04. Or Jerry Springer, since he's an ex-pol den with a wide, fairly low-income audience base.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I am watching Carrie for the first time and I do not much care for her mother I tell ya what

• Locked thread