Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ulmont posted:

I like how you are explicitly calling for four men to back up the woman's opinion before you'll take it seriously. Great way to back up your non-sexism.

I wonder why he didn't ask four people about cutting through floor joists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Megabound posted:

Just stop posting about anything to do with women, you goon.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

18 Character Limit posted:

I wonder why he didn't ask four MALES about cutting through floor joists.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Facebook Aunt posted:

What? When someone is using the tub/shower nobody else gets to use the room, shower curtain or not. I'm not going to be soaking in the tub while a family member is making GBS threads 2 feet away, even if the shower curtain is closed so we don't actually see each other.

What you do in a single bathroom home is if you are planning to do anything that will take more than 15 minutes is holler out "I'm gonna take a bath, anyone need to use the bathroom first?" If nobody needs to go, it's assumed you have the room for up to an hour.

I live in a 3 bed/1 bath cracker box. A thousand times this. We've kinda/sorta worked out an informal morning schedule. It really sucks.

EDIT: also, we're going to be completely redoing the bathroom because the dumb-rear end-DIYers that owned the house before us massively hosed up re-tiling the shower and water has been leaking behind the wall for a few years now. We found out when the corner of the floor started getting "soft." Among the millions of little things they hosed up on, they also bridged a three inch gap in the drainpipe of the bathroom sink with duct tape. I loving loathe dumb-rear end-DIYers.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 6, 2017

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

So, his probation prompted me to look at the rap sheet and holy gently caress.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Antivehicular posted:

To backtrack to Tile Hell for a moment, because honestly it's sort of more interesting:

I have to ask -- is there, or was there ever, a divider between the sunken shower/tub and the toilet, of any sort? Like, is there a shower curtain bar off-camera? Or is it assumed that taking a bath/shower in privacy in there means closing off the whole bathroom? It may be a moot point depending on the bathrooms:residents ratio of the home, but I can't imagine how awkward this situation could get.

No, there is not nor has there ever been a divider there. This is one of three full bathrooms (one only has a standup shower) in a four bedroom house, so it wouldn't be in high contention.

e:

bEatmstrJ posted:

cranky nag.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:lol:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

MeccaPrime posted:

His rap sheet is a secret treasure of this thread and I'm not going to spoil it so that everyone can experience it fresh

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My wife's grandparents have that stove, or one just like it, and we've got our eyes on the house when they either pass or move to a retirement home.

I'll take some pictures when we're over there next.

That's really cool of you, thanks! I'm thinking of starting an interior design thread soon so maybe you could post the pics there.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

op would like you to know that he's taking his ball and falling through his floor going home and never coming back or even lurking

like they said to let you know so here we are, i guess they couldn't wait 6 hours to post it themselves

congratulations everyone you ruined it by calling out his flagrant sexism and pigheadedness and abhorrent opinions, you really did it this time

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

MeccaPrime posted:

Holy poo poo that's good.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Antivehicular posted:

Seriously, "cranky nag?" Is someone going to get called a "virago" by page 50?

Okay I'm completely lost here- what in the nine fucks is a virago? Also, while he's gone I guess I can post horror pictures of parts of my house unupdated since the 60s :haw:

Let's turn this into a positive horrible design thread for everyone!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's really cool of you, thanks! I'm thinking of starting an interior design thread soon so maybe you could post the pics there.

That would be really cool!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Freakbox posted:

((Even if it's full of mystery sockets and what I'm absolutely certain is terribly out of code wiring in the oldest half of the house. :gonk: I have a lot of smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.))

I lived in a postwar apartment once that still had the old-school screw in fuses instead of a modern breaker box. Good times.

Thanks for sharing your stove!

Unrelated, but:

How do you cut pineapple like a badass? Because seriously, I love some fresh cut pineapple.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

bEatmstrJ posted:

Real question: Has any man in this thread ever been upset by being called a male? If more than three people say yes I'll stop saying female.
On the off chance you're reading this - I wouldn't be upset to be called a male because I'm a straight white guy, and my non-stop privilege makes it easy to shrug things like that off. Like, not caring if someone calls me a honky because it doesn't change how great my life is doesn't mean I should feel free to drop the n-word, you know?

A woman told you that poo poo's frowned on. Take her word for it instead of trying to apply your world view to determine how other people should react to things.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

SoundMonkey posted:

op would like you to know that he's taking his ball and falling through his floor going home and never coming back or even lurking

like they said to let you know so here we are, i guess they couldn't wait 6 hours to post it themselves

congratulations everyone you ruined it by calling out his flagrant sexism and pigheadedness and abhorrent opinions, you really did it this time

This is not a safe space for him.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

SoundMonkey posted:

I do not believe this result. His case of last-word syndrome is too severe to simply leave.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh my god his rap sheet. Click immediately. Hahaha

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Freakbox posted:

Okay I'm completely lost here- what in the nine fucks is a virago?

It's an extremely old-timey insult for a forceful or masculine woman. I figured "cranky nag" was getting us started going down a weird hole of posters in this thread being SHREWS and HARRIDANS and whatnot, and it was the first option that came to mind.

Anyway, I'm completely down with bad-interior-design threads. I sadly don't have much to post, since I live in an apartment with fairly generic functional styling and have no plans to start painting blood-red Shining-style accent walls, but I've enjoyed Weird Bathroom Sharing Time here.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

18 Character Limit posted:

I do not believe this result. His case of last-word syndrome is too severe to simply leave.

i merely convey the message and do not offer my opinion of how plausible it is

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For those on mobile

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I lived in a postwar apartment once that still had the old-school screw in fuses instead of a modern breaker box. Good times.

Thanks for sharing your stove!

The first half of the house was built by my grandpa and his buddies in 1949, actually. :kimchi:

I have a metal box in my office closet with a large metal lever. Pulling it turns off the lights in two bedrooms And a hallway but nowhere else. Also, this socket. What the hell is it? (Pardon the dust- I obviously don't use this...whatever it is. It's tucked into a corner like a shameful secret.)

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 6, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

You are the worst kind of female.

Its loving semantics, get over it.

Op you're a trash idiot with poor taste who's destroyed his own home lmbo

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
SoundMonkey can I have a sixer tonight with the exact same probation message? People dig up my rap sheet a lot and I think it would be a funny easter egg

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I feel like this is one vectorization away from being a screenshot of a Flash room-escape game. WHAT IS THIS PANEL? WHAT DOES IT DO? WITH WHICH RANDOM OBJECT MUST I INTERACT WITH IT?

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Seriously- I have NO CLUE what it's for. There...was a big cabinet record player in front of it when I was little? I'm 29 And have never encountered one of these.

I could get a cleaner shot, but my wife and I are stumped by it. We hid it behind our TV stuff.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

For those on mobile

:stare:

I'm a little saddened that op won't be posting any more pictures of his incredibly lovely handiwork for is to spot multiple serious issues with. Hopefully this thread is a good lesson as to why you pull permits and know what the hell you're doing before you destroy your own home.

Oh and also a lesson in why you don't be a sexist jackass

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I happen to be visiting my folks, who grew up in homes of that vintage, and I showed them this pic. Neither of them was sure, but they theorized it could be an old-style phone jack.

VVVVVVVVVVV Now that would be cool.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Freakbox posted:

Seriously- I have NO CLUE what it's for. There...was a big cabinet record player in front of it when I was little? I'm 29 And have never encountered one of these.

I could get a cleaner shot, but my wife and I are stumped by it. We hid it behind our TV stuff.

I really want to say it's a pair of 3.5mm jacks for speaker connections to somewhere else.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Freakbox posted:

I wonder if there's a manufacturer stamp on the back or something if you popped the plate off? Might help figure it out. Looks like a patch panel for audio equipment.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, I expected a long rap sheet, as I am used to seeing on terrible people.

Some burn twice as bright for half as long....

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:stare:

Do you live in a time capsule home? I NEED to see the rest of it. I've got a thing for midcentury architecture and design -- my ultimate dream is to buy an atomic ranch and restore it to all its midecentury glory.

... I might find an alternative to the millions of little tiles, though.

Too bad you didn't post this a couple years ago when we sold the grandparents' house we inherited... vintage 1960s with almost no changes. Kitchen was matching mustard appliances (including a wonderful refrigerator which will outlast any new one we have now), 4 different (formerly) bold carpet colors, faux glass doorknobs on doors a toddler could punch through, delightful mosaic bathroom tile, oh and

Freakbox posted:

The first half of the house was built by my grandpa and his buddies in 1949, actually. :kimchi:

I have a metal box in my office closet with a large metal lever. Pulling it turns off the lights in two bedrooms And a hallway but nowhere else. Also, this socket. What the hell is it? (Pardon the dust- I obviously don't use this...whatever it is. It's tucked into a corner like a shameful secret.)

A few of these. They're to plug your TV into the roof aerial.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

EDIT: Beaten. You learn so many new things in the diy section. I've always just lurked in here.

Okay MYSTERY SOLVED. I cleaned it off and it seems to have the word "TV" on it.

Apparently this is for some sort of very old antenna. I almost want to go take pictures of the horrorlever in my closet.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 6, 2017

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

SoundMonkey posted:

That's ok, I'm sure he'll fit in much better on reddit where his fellow tasteless engineers will fawn over his impeccable design sensibilities and assure him that his bedroom and bathroom are certain to acquire him many females.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What a strange thread for the diy forum.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
The best part of this thread so far is all the :five: thread titles

Complete bathroom overhaul - Double down on joists, not misogyny.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MeccaPrime posted:

Probably a :siren:FEMALE:siren: that reported you, am I right, OP?

It was a harridan.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Do not loving call women "females" you loving rear end in a top hat. If your defense against being told your behavior is sexist is "don't criticize me or I'll get even more sexist!" you are loving trash and I hope your electrified bedframe burns your chinstrap off.

Now, now. Let's not be hormonal about all this.
:munch:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

OP, if you PM goons messages to post to the thread from you, you are still participating in this thread.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MeccaPrime posted:

absolutely loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Okay, I was bored...so i wandered around the house to take some shots of some of the old stuff in it. As a highlight, though- this nightmare, which has its own fire alarm.

I would love to rewire the first half of the house, but "inheriting a house" should indicate that wife and I are both lucky and as poor as hell. We're saving up for it, and this thing only seems to control two rooms.

We just try not to plug in anything more complex than a lamp. :catstare:

The resident evil people should come photograph poo poo in some parts of this house.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 6, 2017

• Locked thread