Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the Schrodinger's Cat stuff is foreshadowing that the ex-Chief is both alive and dead, hence why the door never opens for her and cell phones don't hear her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That epside was great. Why are we here, watching fargo?

I felt like I got fargo out of this episode for sure. Moments were able to breath, we chased down a lead, got to the bottom of it.... and it turned out to be a deadend. Oh well, thems the breaks sometimes. She thought she had a lead. We got a story.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

precision posted:

I think the Schrodinger's Cat stuff is foreshadowing that the ex-Chief is both alive and dead, hence why the door never opens for her and cell phones don't hear her.

Is her son also a ghost?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtIx5F3516c

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
The SoCal aesthetic really struck a dissonant chord for me. The theme of this season clearly is dipping into the nature of storytelling, but the Hollywood meta-narrative well has been sucked dry at this point.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why do people always call character development episodes "filler"? Character development is important, y'all.

I hope Ray Wise isn't just a cameo. I'd like to see him show up later. He strikes me as the kind of character who might have something to do with VM Varga.

tweet my meat posted:

So I'm sure this gets asked a fair bit, but what the hell was the deal with the ufo's?
A reference/homage to the Val Johnson Incident. Apparently that region of the US was a hotbed of UFO sightings in the 70s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely expect Ray Wise to show back up, after all, "What're the odds?"

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

sticklefifer posted:

Why do people always call character development episodes "filler"? Character development is important, y'all.

Have you ever been to TVIV before? Or any other tv forum, really.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I wonder sometimes if people even saw the movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Heck I see it all the time in webcomics threads. Right down to “I'm sure it'll work fine as a page in the book.“

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great episode but I'd agree that it would've been better placed a few weeks later, but I guess they had to have her learn about Stussy name now.

The uncertainty principle stuff was really hammered in too but I can't really see it fitting particularly well with anything we've seen so far, unless they go "everyone was dead all along!" or something ridiculous like that. So this is something they'd probably expand on in the near future.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://youtu.be/TQSMmwQyEjk

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

also

https://youtu.be/6HJqPZ-KmZs

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a serious man is so good and they've fit it to this season very well

https://youtu.be/NbzWYjVrvpI

https://youtu.be/uoetGnTIjWY

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Help me out here: I watched that whole episode and didn't notice a Ray Wise and don't recognize his character's name on IMDb. What are we all talking about with him? Was he just in the preview of episode 4?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Henchman of Santa posted:

Help me out here: I watched that whole episode and didn't notice a Ray Wise and don't recognize his character's name on IMDb. What are we all talking about with him? Was he just in the preview of episode 4?

He was the older guy in the airplane and bar.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIfyR0XFhSM

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Howard reminded me a lot of Sy Ableman.

I also felt a bit of Inside Llewyn Davis for that episode.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

precision posted:

I definitely expect Ray Wise to show back up, after all, "What're the odds?"

Plus he just seems like a somewhat sinister character. Of course I could be biased because I last remember him playing the devil in Reaper.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Howard reminded me a lot of Sy Ableman.
Well he is played by Sy Abelman.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

What did the scammers get out of Ennis? I must have missed something.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

What did the scammers get out of Ennis? I must have missed something.

He kept writing cheques to Zimmerman from the advance for his book, on the false premise Zimmerman would use it for "greasing the right wheels" to sign big stars and help the movie come together.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

He kept writing cheques to Zimmerman from the advance for his book, on the false premise Zimmerman would use it for "greasing the right wheels" to sign big stars and help the movie come together.

Oh yeah I forgot all about the checks, thanks.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm just going to openly admit to stealing money and then taunt the victim, surely nothing bad could befall me now that he knows I can't go to the police. :gibs:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If he hadn't got him into a coke rage he probably would've gotten away with it.

That must have been some beating if it left him in a nursing home for 35 years.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ArmZ posted:

a serious man is so good and they've fit it to this season very well

https://youtu.be/NbzWYjVrvpI

https://youtu.be/uoetGnTIjWY

Very troubling... very troubling...

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

He's also Ray's brother, who vaguely looks like Philip from The Americans.

Whatever that late '90s movie was about the small town beauty queens with Kirsten Dunst and Denise Richards hit on this, too: "I got 2nd Runner Up! I finished second!" "No, hun, that's third."

I don't know why the hell I remember that, but that movie was also very Midwestern, complete with accents.

This is from way back, but that movie is Drop Dead Gorgeous. I don't remember the name of the town but it was set in Minnesota as well. I think Dunst used pretty much the same midwest accent in it as she did in fargo s2. I haven't watched the movie in awhile but I recall it being pretty funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So are we to presume that Theodore saw "Ennis Stussy" on the toilet, and decided "I'll change my name to Ennis and go where Stussy Toilets are operated out of"?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

He named himself "Ennis Stussy" and went to Minnesota without knowing there was any other Stussy family there.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A name he got from the toilet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Supercar Gautier posted:

He named himself "Ennis Stussy" and went to Minnesota without knowing there was any other Stussy family there.

"What're the odds?"

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Holy crap, was the robot animation sequence done by Don Hertzfeldt (It's Such a Beautiful Day, World of Tomorrow)?

Surprised that I didn't see this mentioned on a forum search (unless the forum search is broken or I did the search wrong).

Google searches come up with articles that mention that the sequence definitely is reminiscent of World of Tomorrow, but nothing that confirms if Don Hertzfeldt did it or not.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I realize this may have been the point, but the robot animation sequences made me... incredibly sad. That final shot of it... holy poo poo, man. Wrecked me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Maldoror posted:

Holy crap, was the robot animation sequence done by Don Hertzfeldt (It's Such a Beautiful Day, World of Tomorrow)?

Surprised that I didn't see this mentioned on a forum search (unless the forum search is broken or I did the search wrong).

Google searches come up with articles that mention that the sequence definitely is reminiscent of World of Tomorrow, but nothing that confirms if Don Hertzfeldt did it or not.

yea, i went through the same thing (also with mac) a little dissappoiting that they didn't get hertzfeldt themselves

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you want to ruin the robot animation for yourself, just remember that it's literally the same ending as A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nahhh

nah on both counts: havent seen it and also not ruining it

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm loving the casting even more this season than the past two. Great stuff.

SaviourX posted:

Also, it's nice to play spot the landmarks with a city (and towns) other than Vancouver or Toronto this time. Yay, Calgary!

I hung out in Inglewood a couple weeks ago and recognized the air conditioner murder apartment. In fact I even found a surprisingly reasonable rental listing!

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

If you want to ruin the robot animation for yourself, just remember that it's literally the same ending as A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

I didn't think David shut himself off at the end like Minsky did. As an aside, the box she found on the floor of the hotel room was invented by a man named Minsky.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A machine that shuts itself off named Minsky. Nice catch.

I think they say David "goes to sleep" after they give him his perfect day.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just couldn't get Ralph Wiggum out of my head every time I heard "I can help!"

• Locked thread