Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elem7 posted:

I've seen tridents for sale a couple times but it looks like they got nerfed pretty hard. Atropos aren't nearly as hard hitting as they used to be and Tridents have no other weapon now, didn't they have a burst laser before?

Previously, possibly multiple LR PD Lasers?

Fighters have broadly been reworked across the board so it's not easy to draw comparisons to older situations. Right now a Trident wing costs an expensive 28 OP but they provide salvos of 4 Atropos torpedoes per fighter slot. Dagger wings are considerably cheaper and can launch salvos more frequently but only 3 Atrospos torpedoes per fighter slot. Tridents are very expensive but it feels like they have their niche with the heavier torpedo throw weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
I wish that Starsector automatically stripped ships when placing them in storage and restored their weapons when taking them out.

With autofitting, it’s not nearly as much of a hassle as it was in previous versions, but it’s still annoying to have to pull a ship out of storage to pull a rare gun off it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Daggers are probably better now anyway since they're a bit faster and smaller targets.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is the endgame (remnant battlestations, I presume) breadcrumbed anywhere? The 'go scan this' missions, perhaps? I stopped doing those because they're turning into 40-50 day (one way) hikes for less money than a bounty, but that'd still be better than searching through the edge of the map one system at a time

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Platystemon posted:

I wish that Starsector automatically stripped ships when placing them in storage and restored their weapons when taking them out.

With autofitting, it’s not nearly as much of a hassle as it was in previous versions, but it’s still annoying to have to pull a ship out of storage to pull a rare gun off it.

Nah, or at most this should be an option, because this sounds really annoying.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nosre posted:

Is the endgame (remnant battlestations, I presume) breadcrumbed anywhere? The 'go scan this' missions, perhaps? I stopped doing those because they're turning into 40-50 day (one way) hikes for less money than a bounty, but that'd still be better than searching through the edge of the map one system at a time

scanning derelicts sometimes breadcrumbs you to bigger derelicts

but it's probably easier to just fly around until you find a red beacon and then explore that system normally

kertap
Mar 13, 2010
Is it worth buying a Salvage Rig?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
No. Get a shepherd so you've got something that can contribute in early fights.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

queeb posted:

Is taking all the industry junk fleet stuff viable? flying around with a scrap fleet full of ships i've salvaged sounds fun.

I've got every industry skill maxed, the right 3 science skills maxed, fighter doctrine, fleet logistics maxed and some extra officers and speed boost. First time I've played this and not had a single combat skill. I benched my top of the line tri-tech fleet and decided to see if I could work my way up from the bottom to the top without buying any ships or weapons.

Started out with a Hegemony Auxiliary Kite. Not exactly going to be soloing pirate fleets, so early on I was helping other fleets with pirates, and looking for derelicts floating around.

The Hermes got to sit in the bottom right corner of the battlefields for the Nav and ECM bonuses. Was very lucky the wolf came with a blaster attached, didn't have any other medium energy weapons to put on it!

Floating around near a tri-tech star system. Didn't give me the option to salvage the ship. So so gutted. I'd picked up an enforcer and hammerhead by this point it looks like. Could start taking on pirates solo.

This is the sort of loadout my early ships would get. Beggars can't be choosers. This hammerhead is one of the few ships that never got blown up again after being salvaged. When an older ship got blown up and I had to refit it again, it generally got slightly improved as I'd often have a few more weapons available. This guy is still in my final fleet, a proud veteran. Meanwhile I think my original kite has been disabled somewhere in the double digits.

My first cruiser also managed to survive against the odds. Picked it up helping an independent scavenger fleet against a big ol' blob of pirates. Had just the 1 large weapon, so used the spare OP to give it the only wing of fighters I had. 1 Gauss cannon actually puts out a ton of pressure by itself, so I left it lopsided as time went on. It's got an assault chaingun behind the Gauss cannon, whilst the right hand side is pretty much just flak. Benefits of everything being a pile of D-mods started to show as I got bigger ships. This guy costs 13 rather than 25 supplies to deploy, and 6.5 instead of 25 supplies a month to run.

If I'd looked a little closer I'd have noticed that even though we had the numbers advantage, my ally salvage fleet was pretty pathetic compared to the pirate salvage fleet. Whoops! Closest fight I've had in a while. We were forced to retreat, but I managed to turn the tables during the pursuit since the enemy was having CR issues. Got a venture out of the whole ordeal though! This was also the last fight I had against ordinary pirates, after this I started chasing bounties since there aren't too many big pirate fleets around the inner systems.

Once the bounties started getting 200k+, I started getting some interesting fights. These guys had a couple of destroyers and frigates with them. Took out a good chunk of my fleet before going down. Buuuuuut reinforced bulkheads means none of my ships stay dead for very long. My fleet just grows and grows.

2 on 1! I think by this point my fighters were carrying me. Messed around in the settings to bump battle size max from 500 to 1000 just so both sides could deploy everything at once. My XIV enforcer, a Dominator and a couple of destroyers spent the battle chasing the aurora and a few medusa around the bottom half of the map whilst the rest of the two fleets waged an endurance battle up top. Those things are really hard to catch. After this battle not a single one of the tri-tech ships was available to salvage. Urgh.

Hadn't seen this line before. Very true though!

My final fleet. Come a long way from a single kite. By the end I had so many weapons that new ships had access to top weapon loadouts immediately and I had to start putting the excess in storage to make room for supplies. Industry all the way!

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 5, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's triggering me that you haven't sorted your fleet by size/class.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

kertap posted:

Is it worth buying a Salvage Rig?

Carcer posted:

Yeah, early on, a a Shepherd or two is a better choice. But if you end up trying to maximize your salvage rating, then a pair of Rigs is all you need and is more fuel and supply efficient overall.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 5, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think I'm gonna install that cheat/command line mod and see if I can cut supply upkeep and deployment costs. I wanna subject backwater pirate fleets to my death stacks without going through obscene supply consumption. Part of the fun of warband is sometimes ganking small raiders with all you got.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
How do you people skip the +50% energy and ballistic projectile speed? :psyduck:

I can barely function without it.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It's triggering me that you haven't sorted your fleet by size/class.

Haha, since they got rid of crew experience I stopped bothering with ordering my ships. Plus since when a ship in my fleet gets destroyed and re-salvaged, it gets sent to the back of the line. So I can see which ships have survived the longest. The Dominators and carriers have done well. And inexplicably the hammerhead. The enforcers and wolves get sent to the back of the line pretty often!

buglord posted:

I think I'm gonna install that cheat/command line mod and see if I can cut supply upkeep and deployment costs. I wanna subject backwater pirate fleets to my death stacks without going through obscene supply consumption. Part of the fun of warband is sometimes ganking small raiders with all you got.

Get the skill that halves supply consumption, and the one which reduces maintenance supply cost by number of D-mods. That fleet I posted above uses 4.3 supplies a day which is pretty cheap. Or use a red beacon star system to farm up supplies and fuels midway through your trip!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I just used the neutrino detector on this sensor package mission to find a probe in the outer reaches of a system and it actually worked! Just blew my mind. I would never have found it, thing was ages away from anything else.
Normally when I accidentally click those types of missions it's always some probe way off hidden in a freaking ship graveyard and system-wide debris field.

Tanith posted:

How do you people skip the +50% energy and ballistic projectile speed? :psyduck:

I've played on and off for years and I don't think I've ever actually unlocked this skill.
I spend a lot of time with all my weapons computer-controlled because I can't hit for poo poo and just assumed any skills related to it would do me no good.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 5, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Now that you've gone from an Ace Custom kite to a shambling scrap murder blob, how well do you think this would this work out if you didn't already have every relevant skill and 5 million in the bank to fall back on?

Like, serious question. The idea sounds amazing, but I can't honestly imagine how viable by comparison it would be starting from scratch. At the very least, it would take much longer until you scraped up enough skills to get over the hump (More so if you were limiting yourself to salvaged Hull Mods, not just salvaged weapons and fighters)

I know I will always appreciate my first two recovered D lashers, but I bought myself some more intact Lashers once I could afford it in the early game for a reason.

Tanith posted:

Aside from it being just your ship vs fleet wide logistics and perks? The fact that a bonus to pulse and bullet speeds means a lot less when the primary cause of missing is kiting around at or past the edge of effective range being the cause of "Oooh, I barely missed that wolf/remnant drone/etc with my Kite's railgun", rather than sick dodges. Most shots I see miss or end up grazing hits, would most likely have still been so even with a 50% increase. Then you have stuff like 300-400 range weapons where you'd never see the difference at all because most things that get close enough to let those fire at them in the first place either are stuck in for a while, or kite back out too fast for it to matter.

That's ignoring the fact whether or not the bonus applies if the you let the AI or auto-fire handle weapons.

EDIT: Full disclosure, my aim isn't exactly what you would call "Good". But if I'm only missing maybe one in three deliberate heavy mauler shots with my Brawler shooting at Kites and wolves? Projectile speed isn't going to change that very much. (I say "deliberate shot" because I'm lazy and have a Heavy needler and Mauler in the same fire group).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 5, 2017

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
It's a good question. I imagine it'd take a fair bit longer since I essentially had infinite supplies/fuel/manpower/hull mods galore. I didn't store a single ship, just kept snowballing since resources weren't an issue. I reckon supplies maintenance would be pretty harsh for larger ships until you unlocked the relevant skills. Might have to be a bit more tactical and field smaller fleets, and store more expensive ships.

(Also I'm suddenly imagining hull mods being a limited resource like fighters. Any idea what Alex has planned for them? If you scavenge a rare one you don't suddenly get to plunk it on every single ship. Maybe with the outposts you'd be able to churn out fighters/hull mods if you find the rarer master chip.)

Anyway I guess I'm going to see how well I can make a scrap murderblob starting from scratch at level 1!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tanith posted:

I honestly barely notice the difference between having it and not having it. I've always considered that one basically a point tax on the way to getting the range boost, which is actually a fantastic bonus.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Prav posted:

scanning derelicts sometimes breadcrumbs you to bigger derelicts

but it's probably easier to just fly around until you find a red beacon and then explore that system normally

Word. Do you specifically mean red? I've seen lots of beacons but they look orange to me so I'm not sure if there's two types

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

There are 3 types: yellow, orange, and red. I think the number of pulses it sends out might also tell you something? Orange and red are not super easy to tell apart.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nosre posted:

Word. Do you specifically mean red? I've seen lots of beacons but they look orange to me so I'm not sure if there's two types

it's yellow/red/orange, but all three look mostly orange. they could stand to be differentiated better.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Nosre posted:

They all appear orange on the map but when viewed from your ingame screen they have a different colour. They're hard to differentiate even still though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok I thought it was just my colour-blindness making it nearly impossible to tell.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm sure that isn't helping but nah it's legit difficult. Would be nice if it went green-yellow-red or something like that, just said 1/2/3, etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I decided to try my hand at bounties for some variety. Went out to the system, found them in short order. Smashed up half the terrible frigate pack while the other half of the frigates retreated. Start chasing the remaining fleet who has the same max burn as I do. We circle around a planet for a while, I hit emergency burn, he hits emergency burn. We keep circling the planet.

Then suddenly, they stop, which lets my fleet hovers over them doing nothing for several seconds and... they vanish from existence.

What the gently caress? The mission list still says they are "In system", so they didn't just spontaneously develop the ability to warp jump even if active burst turns up nothing. Do pirates just decide that if they can't escape you, they just remove themselves from the map? Are they able to just interact with planets to go "Enter low orbit" and then be safe from you indefinitely?

What's making this guy able to pull a vanishing act with me right next to them, even if I reload my save. I figure it's best to work this out now, rather than run into it again after having fought a tougher fight.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 5, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you beat up a bounty fleet bad enough, they'll run away to the closest planet and disappear. you still get the bounty once you're back in relay range though so it's really just making your life easier.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

quote isn't edit

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Prav posted:

if you beat up a bounty fleet bad enough, they'll run away to the closest planet and disappear. you still get the bounty once you're back in relay range though so it's really just making your life easier.

Ah, that's good to hear. I just assumed it was a mission failed considering they still had the ! marker, and I still had the mission listed as active. So I was figuring they would just tell me to get hosed and not paid for not finishing the job.

I've also been experimenting. I wonder if they get hidden logistical benefits when their AI decides the 'gently caress this, we quit" card? If I just let my auto-pilot track them, they will scoot into the planet in short order. If I herd them away from the planet with lots of micro clicks piloting, they will immediatly veer back for the planet if I try to just auto-track them again.

If I chase them to the rear end end of the sector hammer Emergency burn (I have the no CR loss skill) and then chase them back eventually doing a loop around the corona blasting sun... They don't seem to suffer, I blew through nearly 300 supplies just from the sun cooking my fleet but they never lost speed and scooted back to the planet to vanish hammering emergency burn as often as I was with no loss of speed :v: Not bad mileage for a pirate Kite, D hound, and wayfarer that had previously escaped a live battle against me.

EDIT: There, I reloaded again to catch them out of spite by abusing their hard wired desire to veer back towards a planet. A drastic net loss in fuel but I want blood at this point. :black101:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 5, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
The Domain‐era mothership is a pushover. I didn’t know what to expect so I restored my Paragon and flew out there with a robust fleet of cruisers.

Its fleet went down to a Medusa, one cruiser, and some fighters as distractions.

Section Z posted:

Ah, that's good to hear. I just assumed it was a mission failed considering they still had the ! marker, and I still had the mission listed as active. So I was figuring they would just tell me to get hosed and not paid for not finishing the job.

In previous versions what matters for bounties is disabling/destroying the flagship piloted by the named criminal, and I think that’s still true.

Come to think of it, that criterion was more important in 0.7 when it was common for major factions to fight the bounty fleet and you had to race them to kill the flagship.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

TheWetFish posted:

Good point. Unfortunately it appears that the Console Command mod's ForceMarketUpdate is broken right now, so perhaps not super accurate information. From a relatively new game, FindItem Crew gives the price at all markets, with these ones standing out to me;

402 available @ 29 credits each at Ancyra's Open Market (Hegemony, Galatia star system)
189 available @ 35 credits each at Garnir's Open Market (pirates, Corvus star system)
270 available @ 37 credits each at Nova Maxios's Open Market (independent, Magec star system)
720 available @ 38 credits each at Sindria's Open Market (Sindrian Diktat, Askonia star system)

I did the rounds and Anycra and Nova Maxios’s prices weren’t so good in my game, so I installed Console Commands and ran it for myself. ForceMarketUpdate works now.

Sindria does seem to be consistently about as good as it gets.

Laicaille Habitate, Isirah and Kazer, Thule, both Persean League, were the other two markets of note. Still, their stock is less than Sindria, and they only beat it price 41 to 43.

So seek them out if you’re hostile to the Sindrian Dictat or need more crew than Sindia stocks (if you went on a cap‐buying spree, perhaps), but otherwise it’s probably just best to buy from Sindria when you get fuel. Two credits saved on a few hundred units doesn’t amount to much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

Actually I had a look and I believe a salvage rig is destroyer class, which means its salvaging equipment is at 25% strength as opposed to the shepherd's 10%

So there is a reason to buy them, though I find Shepherds more versatile and more easily concealable for sensors.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I put together a Google Doc spreadsheet that lets you mess around with all the all the vanilla weapons against armor. There are a few issues but it works pretty well for most scenarios.

Try it out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXqQwjRQw_jP1Hc0rx6jdC7ZEAp9KeSydM339NffjIQ/edit?usp=sharing

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So there's an Independent station I've picked out as where I do my storage and ship drop offs for a while now. Derinkuyu mining station, in the Galatia system in particular.

Though I've just realized now that I've settled down on impulse purchasing from black markets for quite some time, that my black market suspicion level rises when I buy or sell things on the open market...

"Hmm, I'm medium black market suspicion am I?" *hammers the open market button to ensure he's not accidentally buying from the black market* "There, this is the shop screen without piles of drugs. Let's get some supplies... my suspicion level is now Extreme."

In hindsight, the open market button has the skull icon on it. While the Black market is a crossed out independent faction icon (Even though it's not a pirate station). But yeah, what the gently caress with buying and selling stuff on the open "Not full of recreational drugs" market raising my suspicion level? Makes the tooltip over the black market button that using the open market lowers suspicion that much more :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 6, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

So there's an Independent station I've picked out as where I do my storage and ship drop offs for a while now. Derinkuyu mining station, in the Galatia system in particular.

Though I've just realized now that I've settled down on impulse purchasing from black markets for quite some time, that my black market suspicion level rises when I buy or sell things on the open market...

"Hmm, I'm medium black market suspicion am I?" *hammers the open market button to ensure he's not accidentally buying from the black market* "There, this is the shop screen without piles of drugs. Let's get some supplies... my suspicion level is now Extreme."

In hindsight, the open market button has the skull icon on it. While the Black market is a crossed out independent faction icon (Even though it's not a pirate station). But yeah, what the gently caress with buying and selling stuff on the open "Not full of recreational drugs" market raising my suspicion level? Makes the tooltip over the black market button that using the open market lowers suspicion that much more :downs:

If your station has a skull for the main market and a crossed out indy symbol for the black market, that's a pirate station. Independents use the sunburst and stars motif for their main market.

I don't know why Derinkuyu station is actually a pirate station but it has pirate music and pirate colours, even though the map says it's indy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 6, 2017

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Derinkuyu's part of the tutorial and starts out under pirate control. It'll be fixed in the next patch.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Actually I had a look and I believe a salvage rig is destroyer class, which means its salvaging equipment is at 25% strength as opposed to the shepherd's 10%

So there is a reason to buy them, though I find Shepherds more versatile and more easily concealable for sensors.

Salvage Rig is indeed a destroyer class. Wiki updated to explicitly point it out the bonus difference.

FooF posted:

I put together a Google Doc spreadsheet that lets you mess around with all the all the vanilla weapons against armor. There are a few issues but it works pretty well for most scenarios.

Try it out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXqQwjRQw_jP1Hc0rx6jdC7ZEAp9KeSydM339NffjIQ/edit?usp=sharing
Thank you FooF, amazing as always! Effectiveness Analysis is extremely useful

Cannot take into account both relevant D mods Structural Damage & Compromised Armor
#DIV/0! for Flux Efficiency vs Armor when using 0 flux weapons (missiles)

Was that you on the Starsector Forums querying the armour mechanics and mentioning writing a guide on armour? Keenly awaiting it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whoever said surveying brings in bank was 100% correct. Also large gas giants hardly seem to be worth the risk with how much supplies are required. Class IV and V's appear frequently enough on small planets

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

If your station has a skull for the main market and a crossed out indy symbol for the black market, that's a pirate station. Independents use the sunburst and stars motif for their main market.

I don't know why Derinkuyu station is actually a pirate station but it has pirate music and pirate colours, even though the map says it's indy.

ErKeL posted:

Derinkuyu's part of the tutorial and starts out under pirate control. It'll be fixed in the next patch.

Given the lack of actual pirates loving with me, and letting me dock with my transpoders on. It felt more like it would have been a bug the other way around. At least it's apparently a known bug.

EDIT: So, to be clear... If you are shopping in a pirate station, the Open Market is supposed to ramp up your black market suspicion despite all the tooltips talking about how Open market = Lower suspicion? Because that was the more confusing part, Buying and selling stuff from the Open market ramping up the suspicion levels.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 6, 2017

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Nosre posted:

Funny, I only ever do scan jobs because bounties never breach 70k rewards.

Why do you not use sustained burn? Better than emergency in every single way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

McGiggins posted:

Funny, I only ever do scan jobs because bounties never breach 70k rewards.

That's because you're not doing them. If you start doing the bounties they start ramping up to several hundred thousand and the fleets get bigger and bigger.