Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DeathSandwich posted:

Honestly, I actually think his short stories work a lot better because the bigger novels he does always wind up collapsing under it's own weight in the end. Skeleton Crew had a lot of really good horror stories in it that don't wind up being really hamfisted by the end.

I can agree with this. My two favorite stories of his are The Running Man and The Long Walk. The Running Man got a loose spiritual adaption with Series 7: The Contenders but I'm honestly surprised no one adapted The Long Walk when teen dystopian movies were the rage a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
The Long Walk seems like it'd be difficult to make into a movie, if I'm remembering it correctly (I read it in high school, years ago).

I mean, isn't it basically just... the long walk? If your teen rebel protagonist isn't fighting The Man or falling in love with a mythical creature there's no space in the YA movie boom for you.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

The next book will be out by 2037,just in time to cash in on Game of Thrones nostalgia.
The final book in the series will be done when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

You seriously think Martin is going to live til 2037? Within a month of his death his estate will be throwing together whatever scraps he's written and release as the next book, people won't have to wait that long.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

zandert33 posted:

You seriously think Martin is going to live til 2037? Within a month of his death his estate will be throwing together whatever scraps he's written and release as the next book, people won't have to wait that long.

Martin loves to troll his readers, so I'm sure he's going to outlive most of them...and still die before he finishes the series, because by then it will have ballooned to 13 books.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Parasol Prophet posted:

The Long Walk seems like it'd be difficult to make into a movie, if I'm remembering it correctly (I read it in high school, years ago).

I mean, isn't it basically just... the long walk? If your teen rebel protagonist isn't fighting The Man or falling in love with a mythical creature there's no space in the YA movie boom for you.

I need a movie where a character dies of blue balls.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Parasol Prophet posted:

I cluld see it working as a movie like The Mist in that it's a character study of a bunch of people trapped in a terrible situation and slowly become unhinged from fear and exhaustion. Only instead of giant bugs from another dimension it's a fascist dystopia engaging in blood sport.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I generally agree that King has trouble with endings but I actually like the whole final act of The Dark Tower, even if there are hundreds of fairly awful pages leading up to it.

His short stories are definitely his best.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Martin loves to troll his readers, so I'm sure he's going to outlive most of them...and still die before he finishes the series, because by then it will have ballooned to 13 books.

George R. R. Martin is actually an immortal trickster god, recognized by many cultures throughout the ages as The Pear Shaped Man.

Edit: Considering the modern climate, it seems like a remake of The Running Man that keeps the original premise, where the guy is sacrificing his life through bloodsport to try and lift his family out of poverty, would resonate.

Blastedhellscape fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 5, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The good news is we're going to get a satisfying ending to the show and that will make GRRM mad that everyone loves it and is all feel-goody and then he'll write a completely different ending where everyone is raped to death by their own family because gently caress you and we'll have the best of both worlds.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can agree with this. My two favorite stories of his are The Running Man and The Long Walk. The Running Man got a loose spiritual adaption with Series 7: The Contenders but I'm honestly surprised no one adapted The Long Walk when teen dystopian movies were the rage a few years ago.

FWIH, Frank Darabout had planned to do a The Long Walk adaptation, but the Hunger Games movies derailed his plans. Or so the rumor goes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy Mann posted:

I cluld see it working as a movie like The Mist in that it's a character study of a bunch of people trapped in a terrible situation and slowly become unhinged from fear and exhaustion. Only instead of giant bugs from another dimension it's a fascist dystopia engaging in blood sport.

Yeah, it could make for a very bleary and oppressive movie. Faceless soldiers staring down at the kids the entire movie, only speaking to issue warnings. The Major starting as an inspiring figure slowly twisting into an infuriating face of a cheerfully morbid state.

I haven't seen a good creeping, hopeless dread movie in quite a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, it could make for a very bleary and oppressive movie. Faceless soldiers staring down at the kids the entire movie, only speaking to issue warnings. The Major starting as an inspiring figure slowly twisting into an infuriating face of a cheerfully morbid state.

I haven't seen a good creeping, hopeless dread movie in quite a while.

That is because the news exists, much cheaper.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

The good news is we're going to get a satisfying ending to the show and that will make GRRM mad that everyone loves it and is all feel-goody and then he'll write a completely different ending where everyone is raped to death by their own family because gently caress you and we'll have the best of both worlds.

In his original pitch for the books, he was going to have Arya marry her brother. Dude is going to have Arya and Sansa double teaming Ghost in the last book depending on how much the show pisses him off.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
With regards to modern Stephen King I think 11/22/63 was well done. It even has a pretty decent ending!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently it had a worse original ending but Joe Hill suggested the one it has now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

With regards to modern Stephen King I think 11/22/63 was well done. It even has a pretty decent ending!

11/22/63 isn't good horror but it's pretty good as a general melancholy trip into the past kind of story.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Well it's not horror at all. It's more like sci-fi.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

In his original pitch for the books, he was going to have Arya marry her brother. Dude is going to have Arya and Sansa double teaming Ghost in the last book depending on how much the show pisses him off.

I thought Arya was supposed to get with Tyrion?

fake edit: it was both

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

FWIH, Frank Darabout had planned to do a The Long Walk adaptation, but the Hunger Games movies derailed his plans. Or so the rumor goes.

I had heard it's because he insists on shooting it in black and white and no major studio wants to make a black and white movie in this day and age. Then again maybe are just mixing it up with The Mist, which he wanted to be B&W too but wound up having to settle for putting it as an extra on the DVD.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure Dreamcatcher was written in King's drug faze and I haven't read the book but by judging by the movie it should have probably never been published.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Madkal posted:

Pretty sure Dreamcatcher was written in King's drug faze and I haven't read the book but by judging by the movie it should have probably never been published.

I've never read the book either and only know the movie by its reputation of being awful. Would it cause massive King-fan nerd rage if there was some reference to shitweasels in the Dark Tower movie?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phylodox posted:

I think the King book that best delivers is Pet Sematary. Probably because the ending is pretty clearly telegraphed from the outset, but it lends the book this overwhelming sense of dread and inevitable doom.

problem with pet sematary is it's a 300 page novel stretched to 600 pages (another king trap).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Madkal posted:

Interestingly enough, it was written long after King was sober.

As I've said before, King's best work was during his drug and alcohol addiction. His worst was after getting hit by a loving van.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We should make a movie where a crazy fan kidnaps King and feeds him loads of booze and drugs, hoping it leads to the creation of his greatest novel.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The MSJ posted:

We should make a movie where a crazy fan kidnaps King and feeds him loads of booze and drugs, hoping it leads to the creation of his greatest novel.

In the back of a loving van that hits Dean Koontz

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Interestingly enough, it was written long after King was sober.

As I've said before, King's best work was during his drug and alcohol addiction. His worst was after getting hit by a loving van.
Dreamcatcher was written right after the accident when he was on a lot of painkillers. He's outright said it's not good and you shouldn't waste your time with it, the same goes for Tommyknockers.

I personally don't like the narrative that artists do their best work when behaving self-destructively. For many it becomes an excuse, and then untalented people latch onto it and think they've got license to be a drunk/junkie because they're just such a tortured soul, man.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Casimir Radon posted:

Dreamcatcher was written right after the accident when he was on a lot of painkillers. He's outright said it's not good and you shouldn't waste your time with it, the same goes for Tommyknockers.

I personally don't like the narrative that artists do their best work when behaving self-destructively. For many it becomes an excuse, and then untalented people latch onto it and think they've got license to be a drunk/junkie because they're just such a tortured soul, man.

I'm not saying that all artists do their best work when they're on drugs. But ask around and most people would agree that King's best stuff was when he was still drinking and/or coked up, especially compared to when he got hit by a loving van.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm not saying that all artists do their best work when they're on drugs. But ask around and most people would agree that King's best stuff was when he was still drinking and/or coked up, especially compared to when he got hit by a loving van.
He's written some great books since then, of course he's had some major stinkers too. Some of that can be chalked up to his high volume of output and throw stuff at the wall till something sticks. Some stuff just isn't going to work.

I personally feel a lot better that he's not in danger of killing himself with drugs anymore.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We need some already sober writers to get hit by vans as a control group.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dreamcatcher had some neat ideas at least, with the real enemy being telepathic bacteria that control larger animals as they multiply, and the guy organizing his brain like a library and fighting the mind control.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ImpAtom posted:

11/22/63 isn't good horror but it's pretty good as a general melancholy trip into the past kind of story.
A long while ago, I read an interview where King really lamented how loving terribly his generation squandered the chance they got to change the world, and this series seemed like it was born out of that.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

It even has a pretty decent ending!
I could really have seen it be some super hosed irradiated hellscape, or like the protagonist has to stay in the past to meet up with his future self b.s. Hill probably suggested drawing back to the personal instead.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dreamcatcher is a loving dreadful movie but it's probably the most Stephen King movie ever made. Every detail and every line is dripping with his stink, more so than probably any other movie adapted from his books.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

Dreamcatcher is a loving dreadful movie but it's probably the most Stephen King movie ever made. Every detail and every line is dripping with his stink, more so than probably any other movie adapted from his books.

Jason Lee was born to deliver Stephen King dialogue.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I never read Dreamcatcher or watched the movie, but wasn't it a in-direct sequel to It?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There are one or two very indirrect refrences to IT. Not much more than that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Casimir Radon posted:

He's written some great books since then, of course he's had some major stinkers too. Some of that can be chalked up to his high volume of output and throw stuff at the wall till something sticks. Some stuff just isn't going to work.

I personally feel a lot better that he's not in danger of killing himself with drugs anymore.

I swear I'm trying to be a colossal gaping rear end in a top hat when I ask you to name the great books he's written since getting hit by a loving van.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I generally agree that King has trouble with endings but I actually like the whole final act of The Dark Tower, even if there are hundreds of fairly awful pages leading up to it.

His short stories are definitely his best.

Yeah, there's a lot to the last Dark Tower book that I think is good, including the various endings. And I like Wolves of the Calla a lot, too. Song of Susannah was a complete waste, on the other hand.

I feel like most people who read King come around to agreeing that his short stories are the best. Night Shift is maybe my favorite book of his.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've got a ton of love for Different Seasons. I wish he had more stories about that weird story club.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I swear I'm trying to be a colossal gaping rear end in a top hat when I ask you to name the great books he's written since getting hit by a loving van.

Taking a quick peak at his bibliography on Wikipedia:

-From a Buick 8 was cool because it was about a bunch of highschool-educated small town cops trying to understand and contain an otherworldly threat, a lot of people don't like it because nothing is really explained but I think that's why it works so well.

-Duma Key was a really engrossing story about a man trying to put his life back together after losing an arm in a workplace accident and the supernatural horror stuff is mostly in the background until the final act. It kind of kicked off king's post-accident renaissance and is also fairly emblematic in that regard.

-Under the Dome is over a thousand pages but it still flies by because of all the character work is so good. There are a few clunky moments where he had to write modern teenagers and his understanding of modern technology is just so Grandpa (there's a scene where the whiz-kid teenager sets up a video feed with a Macbook camera and it's treated like he's hacking the Gibson) but it's still a rad book aside from the usual King ending and him being a bit too heavy-heanded with the gently caress BU$HITLER stuff with the two heads of the city government being obvious stand-ins for Bush and Cheney.

-11/22/63 is just a great all-around story, it balances the time travel and conspiracy stuff with slice-of-life 1960s living really well and it actually has a good ending.

The last book of his I read was Doctor Sleep, which was OK aside from being a big sloppy blowjob to Alcoholics Anonymous, so I can't comment on anything past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Joyland, 11/22/63, Duma Key, Mr. Mercedes, and Finder's Keepers. On Writing is also a really good read.

Edit: Duma Key feels explicitly like he was talking about the van accident. The Shining was born out of his fear that he might hurt one of his kids one day as a result of his drinking. He's acknowledged that a lot of his work is him working through things that he himself is scared of.

The 11-22-63 Hulu series is pretty good but I think it makes some big missteps in the places it diverges from the book. in the book his second trip back is an attempt to save Harry and his family from being severely brain damaged and kill by his father. He is partially successful but finds out that Harry was instead killed in Vietnam, making it clear early on that there can be a lot of unintended consequences when messing with the past. I also didn't like the way Al went out in the show, it just felt sour. Another thing they didn't sell hard enough was the cognitive dissonance George feels in the past between everything he finds better than the present but is then confronted with some of the biggest downsides, like the ever present racism. I don't know that making Bill a main character really worked out in the end. They also kind of pushed the conspiracy angle more but never did much with it past one episode.

For things it did better I think they made Sadie more likable early on. In the book I didn't like her at first because she seemed like a diversion from the mission Al had stressed the importance of early on. George's meeting with Harry at the end of the series wasn't in the book but it was pretty touching. George breaks down because his whole time in the past came to nothing and he didn't manage to help Harry. Not understanding what's going on Harry just gives him a hug and tells him it's ok.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 6, 2017

• Locked thread