Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

A friend of mine in Wisconsin is apparently planning on selling his turbo swapped E30. He has done a monumental amount of work on tearing it apart and rebuilding it into something beautiful out of nothing. I guess he thought a head gasket was leaking but it looks like cylinder 5 and 6 have low compression. He texted me last night saying he doesn't have the time to swap the rings out and his wife is pretty over it.

I am so gutted because I seriously want the car, and when I breathed that I want it (to the point of trading straight across for my E36) I was met with a barrage of NO from Mrs. Heroic. If anyone is looking for a well sorted car that is going to be extremely reasonably priced PM me:

I told him to send me more current photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I haven't bought anything in a few months and would love to play with boost. Where in WI and what's his asking, shoot me a PM.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my search is at an end! signing some papers on a pretty loaded '15 328, CPO off lease, 20k miles on it. the car itself isn't terribly exciting, it's black, got boring 17in alloy wheels and no luxury line - but the interior is oyster, and got tech package, premium, and a couple others. getting out for $25,800 + taxes, think I got a decent price.

more importantly, I can stop checking cpo.bmwusa.com every fukin day :smith:

if anyone is interested in a decent '97 328is with 115k miles, hmu. I'm the second owner.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Having bought two 328 cpo cars previously, that is a good deal. They're not performance monsters, but you can tune it for a bit more pep, and they're nice to drive. Enjoy!

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Would I be wasting my time with the 228 if I threw on some performance parts?
I'm thinking of getting these (in this order):
- Air Intake
- Intercooler/Downpipe
- ECU tuning
- Exhaust

Has anyone had experience with these parts?
Any recommendations on brands?
How difficult would it be to do each of these? (could I do it myself)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Intake will change the sound more than it'll increase horsepower. Intercooler and downpipe tend to be later stage improvements. I'd start with a tune, and explore from there.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173501 This is a decent overview of the ECU tunes (all piggyback, I believe). Burger Tuning JB4 has been popular for a lot of BMWs in the recent years.

You can do all of it yourself. I'd probably have a shop do downpipe if you go that route, largely because I suspect having a full lift would make it easier. Intake and ECU tune are pretty straightforward.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Put an LS in it instead perhaps.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Not yet, he has to blow the N20 first. THEN he puts in the LS.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
This just popped up near me and I've been looking for an extra vehicle for a family hauler and road trip car. Just how completely will this destroy my wallet in maintenance? Any major things I can ask the seller for records of?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/6118185569.html

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my excitement about this car has dulled a little, now that I'm reading all the fine print about the warranty and CPO stuff. It looks like BMW's cpo plan went from pretty good to ??? whaaatt

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/BMW/2015-BMW-328i+Sedan-b60be63c0a0e099132711a0fa5075a49.htm?geoZip=30316

the sales dude called me up today to try and clarify that it was a CPO "Elite" car (evidently, "elite" means less coverage than just a normal CPO car, despite obviously sounding better). He also tried to upsell me on some extended 2 year (after factory warranty runs out) maintenance program that will cover brakes and poo poo for $2100. I tried to clarify what was included in the regular purchase of the car, the CPO program, and it being an "elite" CPO vs normal, and just felt like he was blowing smoke. after an hour of talking I'm still not really sure what is/isn't covered - and having read 40 pages of fine print in the BMW warranty manual, it's entirely unclear to me if the basic new-car 4 year maintenance package is even transferable to me. (per this : http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/bmwmaintenanceprogram.aspx )

anyone have experience with all the new changes to the programs post '14? should I even consider the $2k upsell?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Honestly, if you've done any car maintenance, the BMW is easy to work on yourself. Oil and brakes are designed to be result serviced. The maintenance plan is not with it. I've had a couple things replaced under cpo warranty, but not enough to cover the increased initial cost.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
BMW spent at least $15k MSRP fixing my car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mindphlux posted:

my search is at an end! signing some papers on a pretty loaded '15 328, CPO off lease, 20k miles on it. the car itself isn't terribly exciting, it's black, got boring 17in alloy wheels and no luxury line - but the interior is oyster, and got tech package, premium, and a couple others. getting out for $25,800 + taxes, think I got a decent price.

more importantly, I can stop checking cpo.bmwusa.com every fukin day :smith:

if anyone is interested in a decent '97 328is with 115k miles, hmu. I'm the second owner.

Where you at?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BlackMK4 posted:

Where you at?

ATL

Cojawfee posted:

BMW spent at least $15k MSRP fixing my car.

ouch?? this is honestly what I'm afraid of. :( but I mean what are the chances that adding two years on would catch this, instead of whatever dumb thing happening 2 years and 1 day after poo poo ran out. argh.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 6, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

Post the invoice for your swap :v:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I finally installed the M3 mirrors I bought on my e46. The good news is that whatever year M3 they came off matched perfectly with my '04 and I didn't have to cut and splice the harnesses, they just plugged in and worked.

One question I have is the passenger side mirror on my car had the "dip" function where it moved down when the car shifted into Reverse. The M3 mirror doesn't do that. So, does that functionality live in the mirror motor itself? Or is it that the wiring harness doesn't match up on that wire? All the other adjustments work fine.

I still haven't painted them. This was going to be a test install but since they worked with no modification, I just bolted them up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

willroc7 posted:

This just popped up near me and I've been looking for an extra vehicle for a family hauler and road trip car. Just how completely will this destroy my wallet in maintenance? Any major things I can ask the seller for records of?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/6118185569.html

I'd ask the seller why the pictures are photographs of a screen of pictures of the car. If it's some old person - fine. But Any younger than 60 and it becomes shady in my opinion.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

One question I have is the passenger side mirror on my car had the "dip" function where it moved down when the car shifted into Reverse. The M3 mirror doesn't do that. So, does that functionality live in the mirror motor itself? Or is it that the wiring harness doesn't match up on that wire? All the other adjustments work fine.

Really stupid thought I assume you've tried already - the mirror adjustment/selector switch has to be in the correct (driver's side iirc?) position for that function to work, so try playing with that? Might have something to do with it either way.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'd ask the seller why the pictures are photographs of a screen of pictures of the car. If it's some old person - fine. But Any younger than 60 and it becomes shady in my opinion.

I suspect olds. I might go look at it this morning as it's not far from me. Anything to look out for on these?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mindphlux posted:

ouch?? this is honestly what I'm afraid of. :( but I mean what are the chances that adding two years on would catch this, instead of whatever dumb thing happening 2 years and 1 day after poo poo ran out. argh.

It's just luck if the draw. Getting a warranty is you betting on your car breaking at some point in the next few years. I technically won in that I didn't pay for a new transmission, ecu, valve cover and the other things that broke. But did I really win? What if my car ends up with other issues?

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
What's a good range for mileage to look for on a CPO 3 series?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Most off lease ones are going to be between 20k and 33kish. Lower will cost more, but if you really don't drive, enough to hit the max mileage before the time runs out, it won't matter as much. I definitely cap the mileage first.

Starting with the 2017(?) model year, base warranty is 3/36 instead of 4/50, so that'll eventually impact how long the CPO part runs. 2014 and 2015 cars definitely still have the 4/50 base, which is probably what you're looking at.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just went to get in the car and found it looking rather sorry for itself. Looks like the front driver's side suspension has collapsed.

Making the car jack up on the offside rear. V8s be heavy.

And levelling out a slanted surface.

Any thoughts on what it's likely to be? Failed shock? Sheared spring? I can't get under it to have a look and can barely get my hands under the car. Last I drove it Active Steering threw up a fault but I didn't think anything of it. When I tried to move it just now it felt horrible and groaned quite ominously.

Just glad it didn't happen last weekend when I was gunning it down the motorway. :stare:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
My spazdas are gone, my licence is back and I need a car. Still have the falcon ute but going to respray that and keep it for tool/life stuff storage under the canopy if I need a storage space for free, but still need a 4dr sedan for running about in.

Thinking of bmw or volvo
pop quiz:
budget 4-5k
Which would you buy, e30 320 man, e28 528 auto, e34 525 auto? (the e30 is the most expensive @ well over 5k, e28 needs work @ $2500, e34 is 4k. All prices aussie
What to look at in particular faults on all of them.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 6, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Theophany posted:

Just went to get in the car and found it looking rather sorry for itself. Looks like the front driver's side suspension has collapsed.

Making the car jack up on the offside rear. V8s be heavy.

And levelling out a slanted surface.

Any thoughts on what it's likely to be? Failed shock? Sheared spring? I can't get under it to have a look and can barely get my hands under the car. Last I drove it Active Steering threw up a fault but I didn't think anything of it. When I tried to move it just now it felt horrible and groaned quite ominously.

Just glad it didn't happen last weekend when I was gunning it down the motorway. :stare:

It'll be a spring I bet. They've literally done this since the e30. Springs break every 5 minutes on all M3s. Ridiculous really

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Impressive it's lasted 13 years and nearly 90,000 miles then with all that weight in that case!

Luckily it seems OEM front springs are only £90 a throw.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Alarbus posted:

Most off lease ones are going to be between 20k and 33kish. Lower will cost more, but if you really don't drive, enough to hit the max mileage before the time runs out, it won't matter as much. I definitely cap the mileage first.

Starting with the 2017(?) model year, base warranty is 3/36 instead of 4/50, so that'll eventually impact how long the CPO part runs. 2014 and 2015 cars definitely still have the 4/50 base, which is probably what you're looking at.

The dealer near me has CPO 328's from '14-'16 anywhere between 1,500 and 45,000 miles....I usually put on about 5,000 miles a year. I also know nothing about DIY maintenance.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Really stupid thought I assume you've tried already - the mirror adjustment/selector switch has to be in the correct (driver's side iirc?) position for that function to work, so try playing with that? Might have something to do with it either way.

This is the answer and I bet it's tripped up almost everyone at some point, it's definitely made me go 'hey wait wtf' before when I noticed the feature not working.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Mouse Cadet posted:

The dealer near me has CPO 328's from '14-'16 anywhere between 1,500 and 45,000 miles....I usually put on about 5,000 miles a year. I also know nothing about DIY maintenance.

Basic stuff like oil and brakes are super easy. Both need basic car things like jack, jack stand, socket set, torque wrench, etc. I honestly found both things easier to do on the 3 series than my older Toyotas.

Don't buy one with 45k miles, you'll be a whole lot closer to needing tires/brakes/etc.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Alarbus posted:

Basic stuff like oil and brakes are super easy. Both need basic car things like jack, jack stand, socket set, torque wrench, etc. I honestly found both things easier to do on the 3 series than my older Toyotas.

Don't buy one with 45k miles, you'll be a whole lot closer to needing tires/brakes/etc.

Thanks, still early in my research but I was thinking some where between 10 and 20K miles would be a good spot. For example this one http://www.fieldsbmworlando.com/certified/BMW/2014-BMW-328i+Sedan-Orlando-For-Sale-d468f1250a0d0cc7437f6c73461a4f0a.htm

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Ether Frenzy posted:

This is the answer and I bet it's tripped up almost everyone at some point, it's definitely made me go 'hey wait wtf' before when I noticed the feature not working.
Nah, back in the day my original mirror "stopped working" and that was the culprit, so I know to move the switch to the correct position.

However, it has magically just started working after being driven a few times. Superior German Engineering my rear end!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fo3 posted:

My spazdas are gone, my licence is back and I need a car. Still have the falcon ute but going to respray that and keep it for tool/life stuff storage under the canopy if I need a storage space for free, but still need a 4dr sedan for running about in.

Thinking of bmw or volvo
pop quiz:
budget 4-5k
Which would you buy, e30 320 man, e28 528 auto, e34 525 auto? (the e30 is the most expensive @ well over 5k, e28 needs work @ $2500, e34 is 4k. All prices aussie
What to look at in particular faults on all of them.

if the e34 is an m50 and has the ZF transmission it's going to be way better than the e28

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

I haven't bought anything in a few months and would love to play with boost. Where in WI and what's his asking, shoot me a PM.

You have a private message

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

rscott posted:

if the e34 is an m50 and has the ZF transmission it's going to be way better than the e28
I don't think this is possible. I'm pretty sure all m50 e34s came with the A4S-310R aka 4L30E. I rebuilt the one in my 525i and it actually drove quite nicely when it's in good shape, but objectively not a great transmission.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

rscott posted:

Yeah, I might go the e34 as they seem the cheapest anyway. The 4k e34 is a 1994 so it's a m50 upgrade with vanos. Is that system fairly reliable? Expensive to fix? What's more reliable a 525 with m50u with that GM auto, or a 535 m30 with the zf auto? There's a 1989 e34 535i for sale for 2k and it has the proper rims. (I'd like the 525i better if the owner didn't put lovely 18" rims on it)

E: also found a e36 320i around the corner that looks pretty good for $1500. Only problem is that it's unlicenced and auto. I wouldn't mind an auto 5 series, but prefer 3 series in man trans.

Lots of good bargains around on sub 3k cars at the moment since CTP auto insurance has gone up $100 as of last year to cover no fault and long term medical care for traffic related injuries. So it's about $700 a year to register a car with compulsory injury/medical ins. so a lot of people are getting rid of their cheap spare cars just as rego expires.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 7, 2017

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Anybody got any idea what part #11 would be? After my engine swap on my 98 540i, I cannot find what would be on the T and this diagram is my best bet:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DE63-USA-07-1998-E39-BMW-540i&diagId=13_0631

Car is running okayish, but still idling a little rough on start up. Plugging the open line off the T doesn't really impact that problem much.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm looking for something new after driving Audis for the past ten years. Audi covered all my needs with AWD and cargo space and then had decent power and gas mileage with their wonderful oh so great TDI.

So now I'm being forced into something new and have heard great things about the xdrive. I have been wondering about BMWs and what direction to go with them. I would almost prefer a diesel wagon as they get decent mileage and have space for snowboards, bike and sleeping. What's the difference between the 3 and 5 series and how do they compare? How are BMWs overall and what's the satisfaction like? How are the diesels? Should I just stick with gas so this doesn't happen again?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When I turn my wife's e70 off, I can hear a small motor grinding away near the front of the engine compartment; sounds like it's slightly struggling. Occasionally it'll pause very briefly for a little pneumatic-sounding pshhh, accompanied by soft gurgling. But mostly it's just the motor sound. Does this for about 10 minutes after turning the motor off. The engine fan is not turning.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Might be an Electric water pump that continues to circulate the coolant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

mindphlux posted:

I tried to clarify what was included in the regular purchase of the car, the CPO program, and it being an "elite" CPO vs normal, and just felt like he was blowing smoke. after an hour of talking I'm still not really sure what is/isn't covered - and having read 40 pages of fine print in the BMW warranty manual, it's entirely unclear to me if the basic new-car 4 year maintenance package is even transferable to me. (per this : http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/bmwmaintenanceprogram.aspx )

quote:

These maintenance programs are available to the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle, Aftersales Mobility Program vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico). Coverage is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. The sole exception to the non-transferability of coverage is that household transfers—transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center—will not terminate coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle. In the event of a household transfer, purchasers, owners, or lessees of a BMW vehicle should promptly advise their authorized BMW center to document and confirm the household transfer for purposes of coverage. The payoff of a loan on a vehicle by the initial purchaser and the purchase of a leased vehicle by the initial lessee are not considered transfers for purposes of coverage.

Looks like it's not transferable.
I'm pissed off about this myself. The sales guy at Audi dealership (who said he was sales at BMW previously) straight up lied to me about this when I picked up the 228i and even had the balls to call the BMW dealership and ask "Do these cars have a 4 year, 50k mile warranty?" "...uhhh, yeah" "OK THANKS!"
That was one of the huge buying points for me and I feel kinda duped.
Here's to hoping nothing fucks up in the next 22k miles.