Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Kruller posted:

I suggest sleeving it, the card stock is dogshit. Otherwise I don't recall any weird hangups.

Are we talking Magic Card size? Cause luckily I've got enough sleeves for those lying around.

Is the second printing any better? Cause I will be getting that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

!Klams posted:

We played a huge game of Eldritch Horror, and it was just abysmal. I was wondering, are there any games that are similar, but where you all do something on everyone's turn, so that you don't just sit there waiting until its your turn?

I find that it helps when other people read each others encounter cards. Normally my fiancee and I play as just the two of us, but if we play a larger game with more people we have each person read the encounters for one other person. It gives you something to do while its not technically your turn, and makes you a little bit more invested in other people's encounters. But yeah, like Bombadilillo said, it should be a group effort to discuss strategy for the action phase, then everyone does those actions pretty rapidly.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
After reading about it enough in this thread and getting tired of seeing it sit unplayed on the shelf I got to learn and play Dungeon Lords last night.

Coming from Dungeon Petz it felt similar but different (in a good way) and I really enjoyed it... after I figured out what I was doing. The worker placement part was lightning fast and the only slow parts were resetting the board between seasons and assigning adventurers. Also, because we were playing 2p, it meant my GF and I both had to run the dummy player boards (which honestly wasn't difficult, just slightly cumbersome and one more thing to think about during our first playthrough). I was taken by surprise though at how dangerous the adventurers were and how tricky it was to maintain a great mix of all the resources, monsters, and traps you needed to not get steamrolled. It really reminded me of Galaxy Trucker, the way you can A) peek at the attack cards and B) need to prepare for a bunch of different avenues of attack through constructing you ship/dungeon creatively.

Also, the taxes event is brutal. It came up second last the first time and last the second year, totally crippling me. Also, I think I got too many imps that weren't doing enough because I could only mine 2 or 3 gold a turn (if I even issued the order) and had only one production tile that gave me something, so there were a couple of turns where I had surplus imps just sitting around.

I really enjoyed the experience and would love to try it again with 4p. My only real complaint was trying to understand how combat worked which took me a bunch of re-reads of the (typically Vlaada cute) manual. After I figured it out, it mostly was super fast but my GF thought everything felt kinda fiddly, which I don't totally disagree with beyond the fact that I didn't mind it once we both had a grasp on the mechanics. Just a clarification though for combat: do you go in turn order for each attack card? So the first player does his round of adventurers attacking, and then the second and so on, and after everyone has done one round you go back to the planning phase, flip over the next attack card, and then repeat until all adventurers are taken care of?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FulsomFrank posted:

I really enjoyed the experience and would love to try it again with 4p. My only real complaint was trying to understand how combat worked which took me a bunch of re-reads of the (typically Vlaada cute) manual. After I figured it out, it mostly was super fast but my GF thought everything felt kinda fiddly, which I don't totally disagree with beyond the fact that I didn't mind it once we both had a grasp on the mechanics. Just a clarification though for combat: do you go in turn order for each attack card? So the first player does his round of adventurers attacking, and then the second and so on, and after everyone has done one round you go back to the planning phase, flip over the next attack card, and then repeat until all adventurers are taken care of?
Yep, pretty much. The condensed turn sequence for combat is Everyone prepare -> Reveal Round Combat Card -> Everyone shows how they fight in turn order -> Everyone prepares -> Reveal Next Card etc etc.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

After reading about it enough in this thread and getting tired of seeing it sit unplayed on the shelf I got to learn and play Dungeon Lords last night.

Coming from Dungeon Petz it felt similar but different (in a good way) and I really enjoyed it... after I figured out what I was doing. The worker placement part was lightning fast and the only slow parts were resetting the board between seasons and assigning adventurers. Also, because we were playing 2p, it meant my GF and I both had to run the dummy player boards (which honestly wasn't difficult, just slightly cumbersome and one more thing to think about during our first playthrough). I was taken by surprise though at how dangerous the adventurers were and how tricky it was to maintain a great mix of all the resources, monsters, and traps you needed to not get steamrolled. It really reminded me of Galaxy Trucker, the way you can A) peek at the attack cards and B) need to prepare for a bunch of different avenues of attack through constructing you ship/dungeon creatively.

Also, the taxes event is brutal. It came up second last the first time and last the second year, totally crippling me. Also, I think I got too many imps that weren't doing enough because I could only mine 2 or 3 gold a turn (if I even issued the order) and had only one production tile that gave me something, so there were a couple of turns where I had surplus imps just sitting around.

You always know taxes are coming, so really you should be preparing for them, knowing they can be huge hits to scoring. Preparing isn't necessarily about the variety you field, but the ability to prepare for your specific line of adventurers. No thieves? Traps are great, etc. You have a good idea about what you're going to face, short of upsets

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sloober posted:

You always know taxes are coming, so really you should be preparing for them, knowing they can be huge hits to scoring. Preparing isn't necessarily about the variety you field, but the ability to prepare for your specific line of adventurers. No thieves? Traps are great, etc. You have a good idea about what you're going to face, short of upsets

Yeah I didn't find the adventurers that tough to take out, just surprised me in my first game how much trouble they can cause if you didn't consider the make-up of the party. And the taxes part I agree with, it was just really tough to acquire the gold necessary to avoid the penalties while still affording traps and other things. The placement/ordering of your minions is such an important mini-game on-top of the raw worker-placement that leads to some neat thinking about what your opponents are going to be up to and balancing trying to do as much as you can (getting your minion into the best spot at the best time) while realising that you can't do two of those three things again next round.

It's really something and a lot of fun.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The trick to fighting the adventurers in Dungeon Lords is to aim for specific ones during the year, so you can dictate the make-up of the party coming to raid you. If you get 1 thief, try to avoid others. If you get 2 thieves, try to get the third because you're not going to be using traps anyway. Be flexible with your Evil-o-Meter and try to ditch situationally bad adventurers on your rivals.

Juggling the paladin around can be very profitable, but it is difficult.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have a hard time believing that High Treason: The Trial of Louis Riel would be as entertaining IRL as the PbP version has been so far. Has anyone played it all the way through yet?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Played Chopstick Dexterity Mega Challenge 3000 last night as an end of night game. It was actually pretty fun and hectic with 3 grown men trying to grab little pieces of wood with chopsticks and fighting each other with said chopsticks.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Random Tile orientation, could you get into some layouts where you need teleport/flight/etc to get to cities then? I've already had some nasty layouts where there was only 1 normal tile access to a city.

You can, it's not at all likely though and I usually end up with at least one effect to cross water.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

homullus posted:

I have a hard time believing that High Treason: The Trial of Louis Riel would be as entertaining IRL as the PbP version has been so far. Has anyone played it all the way through yet?

My copy just showed up :riel:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone tried Unfair? The theme looks fun and the art is bright and colorful and the mechanics seem to remind me of tableau builders. Don't know how engaging it is in execution, though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Trastion posted:

Played Chopstick Dexterity Mega Challenge 3000 last night as an end of night game. It was actually pretty fun and hectic with 3 grown men trying to grab little pieces of wood with chopsticks and fighting each other with said chopsticks.

The dilemma of playing a game that's kind of fun but also supporting Mayday Games :thinking:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone tried Unfair? The theme looks fun and the art is bright and colorful and the mechanics seem to remind me of tableau builders. Don't know how engaging it is in execution, though.

If you're at all in the market for a tableau builder/set collection game with a longer play time and a heavy amount of take that, it's pretty solid. My fiancée is very much into all of that, so it's been getting lots of play time. Probably works best at 3, but it's solid at 2 as well.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

GrandpaPants posted:

I played it once and I would be content never playing it again. It was entirely too random and 'take that' just for the sake of it. The other 3 players seemed to like it though for what it's worth.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

GrandpaPants posted:

That was actually our main game last night before the chopstick game. Unfair is the best Amusement Park themed game I have played and my group loves amusement parks more than board gaming so we play them all. It is a pretty good game and has replay value. It is somewhat simple yet there is a lot of strategy to it also. The unfair part comes in at the end when the City Event deck tears your work apart just before the game ends.

Kiranamos posted:

The dilemma of playing a game that's kind of fun but also supporting Mayday Games :thinking:

Luckily a friend bought an extra copy and gave it to me so I didn't directly support them.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this is probably a longshot, but is there any game out there that is like a boardgame version of Unreal Tournament or Quake gameplay-wise?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I feel like this is probably a longshot, but is there any game out there that is like a boardgame version of Unreal Tournament or Quake gameplay-wise?

Adrenaline is as close as you're going to get. Imagine Unreal Tournament, but it's an area control euro, and you're not that far off.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kashuno posted:

As mentioned, Adrenaline apes a lot of FPS aesthetics, but doesn't really evoke a (good) FPS deathmatch type game. Positioning is an afterthought and map design is really, really, REALLY dull. The game itself is pretty dull too, since there aren't that many good or interesting decisions besides "What weapon do I want"? Also I think the Chainsaw is a promo of some sort, which is pretty hosed up.

I'm trying to think of a tactical arena type game, but the only thing that comes to mind is like, Mage Wars, which is a fine game but doesn't at all evoke the FPS feel.

So yeah, no you're kinda out of luck.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I guess it depends what part of arcade FPS you want in your game. Execution and fast decisions aren't super common in board games for obvious reasons, though many real time games evoke something of a similar feel. Escape: Curse of the Temple is probably the most panicked I've ever been in a board game since you absolutely cannot stop moving (literally, performing the physical act of rolling dice) for about 10 minutes and need to make snap judgments constantly about how to manage your dice. Obviously it has zero thematic overlap with the FPS genre but it's the closest I've ever felt to something like chasing another player down via rocket jumping and then trying to hastily get behind a corner before getting taken out by a hitscan gun across the map.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm trying to think of a tactical arena type game, but the only thing that comes to mind is like, Mage Wars, which is a fine game but doesn't at all evoke the FPS feel.

How about Hoplomachus ... or Advanced Squad Leader (you _can_ run around blasting things!).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Crokinole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCepU6kCeZ0

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

They're making a game based on The Thing. I think we all just got an idea of what sort of game it would be and the levels of paranoia and distrust that could not possibly live up to our imaginations, but it was a nice dream while it lasted.

quote:

It is the start of the bleak, desolate Antarctic winter when a group of NSF researchers manning the claustrophobic, isolated U.S. Outpost 31 comes into contact with a hostile extraterrestrial lifeform. Bent on assimilating Earth's native species, this being infiltrates the facility — creating a perfect imitation of one of the Outpost 31 crew. The staff frantically begin a sweep of the base, desperate to purge this alien infection before escaping to warn McMurdo Station that somewhere, out there in the frigid darkness, something horrible is waiting.

In the hidden identity game The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31, you will relive John Carpenter's sci-fi cult classic in a race to discover who among the team has been infected by this heinous lifeform. Play as one of twelve characters as you lead a series of investigations through the facility using supplies and equipment to clear the building. The tension mounts and paranoia ensues as you question who you can trust in the ultimate race to save humanity!

The weird part of the story is that the company behind it is Mondo, of the t-shirts and posters. Which is, uh, what? And true to Mondo's Cartmanland marketing, there's a limited edition:

quote:

The game will be released in two forms, with the standard edition hitting retail outlets in October 2017. The deluxe edition, which is limited to 1,982 copies, will be sold exclusively through Mondotees.com; this edition features different packaging artwork by Jock, a Mondo print, an enamel pin, and two additional sculpted movers: the Norwegian character and the Palmer Thing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

They're making a game based on The Thing. I think we all just got an idea of what sort of game it would be and the levels of paranoia and distrust that could not possibly live up to our imaginations, but it was a nice dream while it lasted.

The weird part of the story is that the company behind it is Mondo, of the t-shirts and posters. Which is, uh, what? And true to Mondo's Cartmanland marketing, there's a limited edition:

I saw this! The Thing is one of my favourite movies, so I'm hoping for the best. There better be a MacReady character, if I can't play as Kurt Russell... :argh:

Kind of bizarre about the limited edition stuff, especially mentioning "sculpted movers", I wonder if that means it'll be a mini-heavy game?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Johnny Truant posted:

I saw this! The Thing is one of my favourite movies, so I'm hoping for the best. There better be a MacReady character, if I can't play as Kurt Russell... :argh:

Kind of bizarre about the limited edition stuff, especially mentioning "sculpted movers", I wonder if that means it'll be a mini-heavy game?
I'm a huge The Thing fan but I'm getting flashbacks to Panic Station and that isn't a good thing.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Someone already made a The Thing card game, but I don't know if it was any good.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/75828/thing

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I'm a huge The Thing fan but I'm getting flashbacks to Panic Station and that isn't a good thing.

Speaking of Panic Station. I played Burke's Gambit and it seemed like a stripped down fixed Panic Station that coulda been the thing themed.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
There is also Stay Away which is a social deduction verision of that, though without the brand. It has some mechanical wonkiness, but our group has had great fun with it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I thought you guys were all sick of Lovecraft poo poo?
Escape from New York. Now theres a board game idea.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For all my hardcore video gamer goons.

I don't know what the gently caress.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
uh, what

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Holy poo poo

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
No way

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Sleekly posted:

Escape from New York. Now theres a board game idea.

It's being done.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

al-azad posted:

For all my hardcore video gamer goons.

I don't know what the gently caress.

You're not making any sense, Zach.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

According to Swery's Twitter he's supervising it. So even if the game ends up bad, and it probably will, it will probably look/feel authentic.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

The game will be entirely turn based, except for brief, frantic moments of real-time when the pot starts getting cold.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Cashing in on the new Twin Peaks? I can't even begin to comprehend.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Instead of dice you swirl cream into coffee. Cross reference a CRT (coffee results table) determines the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Real talk. Vague spoilers for a seven year old game.

I liked Deadly Premonition. But I'm not super excited to revisit the plot's kinda fuckin' cringey take on trans folk in TYOOL 2017. I hope its handled a little better in the board game.