Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DoW3 is extremely disappointing to me, like mentioned before its all about the multiplayer, the single player is okay at best and the multiplayer turns into Dota2 except you habe to control the minions as well as the hero unit.

I'm real sad they tossed out the old campaign style with the overmap and cover and poo poo. Now you just build a blob consisting of tje entire blood ravens chapter, throw them at the enemy, they all die, repeat. Ork missions are loving choice though.

Been playing Armada a lot instead, whoch is rad as gently caress and I want to play with some folk but the MP is dead :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i havent finished the campaign yet but it seems like the dow1 style before dark crusade. im not really sure where the dota nonsense is coming from. feels like dow 1 with some dow2 stuff mixed in.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait no Eldar skirmish?

I would've not posted this if it wasn't mentioned. The Eldar can sod off. Them being 1/3 of DoW 3 is enough for me to dislike that game.

Iretep posted:

i havent finished the campaign yet but it seems like the dow1 style before dark crusade. im not really sure where the dota nonsense is coming from. feels like dow 1 with some dow2 stuff mixed in.

It's really horrendously dumbed down DoW 1 with far too many skills and whatnot to use on each unit and not enough great upgrades. I want to give this squad of Space Marines flamers and these heavy bolters to distinguish them as units, and that one I want to attach a force chaplain to and the other a librarian. I don't want lovely "Elite Units" that respawn and can take on an entire army by itself. Davian Thule was a respawning hero unit, but he couldn't defend against three or four units of Ork Boyz by himself, that's why you could attach commanders to squads and poo poo. No cover system or morale also is a step down. The Dota comparisons mostly come from the Power Core mode they're trying to push, but really its just that they're trying to put DoW 2 levels of micromanagement and ability casting in a game the scale of DoW 1. Also, I hate the look of the game but that's entirely subjective.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Orks, the best race. I will never love another as much as you! Only the IG come close.

Give me Ork baneblades and the gap widens, otherwise I'm in the same boat as you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I would've not posted this if it wasn't mentioned. The Eldar can sod off. Them being 1/3 of DoW 3 is enough for me to dislike that game.

Ha! I am still a constant thorn in your side!

EDIT: You sounded so heartbroken when you read "Doesn't count for Ramming"

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 3, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

It's really horrendously dumbed down DoW 1 with far too many skills and whatnot to use on each unit and not enough great upgrades. I want to give this squad of Space Marines flamers and these heavy bolters to distinguish them as units, and that one I want to attach a force chaplain to and the other a librarian. I don't want lovely "Elite Units" that respawn and can take on an entire army by itself. Davian Thule was a respawning hero unit, but he couldn't defend against three or four units of Ork Boyz by himself, that's why you could attach commanders to squads and poo poo. No cover system or morale also is a step down. The Dota comparisons mostly come from the Power Core mode they're trying to push, but really its just that they're trying to put DoW 2 levels of micromanagement and ability casting in a game the scale of DoW 1. Also, I hate the look of the game but that's entirely subjective.

Not really sure how its dumped down to dow 1 since that was mostly build units, maybe upgrade stuff and put on auto reinforce forever. Its pretty hard to be MORE dumped down than dow 1 and i feel im having to think about a lot more in dow 3 right now than in 1. Though i definetly liked dow 2 more than 3 so far. But like i said im not super far into the game yet.
As far as hero focus goes, they were pretty significant even in 2. Not sure why them being powerful is an issue. Also morale was barely ever an issue in dow1 to the point it might as well not have been a mechanic by time soulstorm was released. Though i wish the game had a supression mechanic. Not that there arent ways to slow down melee units.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My issue with the powerful hero units is that they're the only powerful unit. In DoW 2, a bog standard tactical marine squad could turn the tide if properly managed. In DoW 3 every unit except for the heroes are almost entirely worthless and it seems like they exist only to pad out the game and provide experience points for your heroes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Biplane posted:

My issue with the powerful hero units is that they're the only powerful unit. In DoW 2, a bog standard tactical marine squad could turn the tide if properly managed. In DoW 3 every unit except for the heroes are almost entirely worthless and it seems like they exist only to pad out the game and provide experience points for your heroes.

That's exactly it. Also the dumbing down comes from the lack of meaningful unit interactions other than "move here, shoot this" whereas in the previous two titles, fire arcs and positioning thanks to the cover mechanic were a big deal. Plus, I heard the only fixed defensive structure that could be built are the Orks' Waagh Towers (and listening posts of course), which is a dealbreaker for me since I'm a turtle kinda player. Also not fond of the towers around the base like a MOBA, but I'm not sure they're present outside of Power Core mode.

Anyhow, that's enough Dawn of War 3 for this thread. This is botes, those are mans xenos and mutants.

E: A VoD for the Final Liberation stream you missed. You monster.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 3, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
On the eldar skirmish video, the best way ive heard of playing eldar in multiplayer actually involves using the Alaitoc favor. You just use the biggest ships possible and try to keep yourself as a blip on the radar so the enemey cant shoot back while you can. This can be hard countered but luckely eldar are very rare and the most common meta doesent automatically counter it very well so its still a decent strategy if youre lucky enough not to meet a guy who has the option to counter it. Basically Eldar are very competetive if they are rare opponents in the current meta and die instantly if the meta changes so their gimmick gets hard countered commonly.
Now is it a fun strategy to do? No, it takes a while even when it does work and i imagine if its working as intended its very frustrating to the opponent since they can barely do anything. Basically victory through the opponent deciding "gently caress this, i cant do anything" and warping out.
Edit: EMP bombs is also a bit better for eldar i think since they do more hit and runs. Dont really want to waste time dealing with shields over and over so better get rid of them as soon as your firing again after running away.
Edit edit: Also seems like BFG armada is on sale right now.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 4, 2017

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hey Herp, either the recording or the upload of the latest episode is hecked up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Hey Herp, either the recording or the upload of the latest episode is hecked up.

Hence why I didn't post it here after hoping it would magically sort itself out after upload (it didn't). Trying to figure out what actually went wrong before re-recording.

E: Change that to re-editing, I saved over it. :suicide:

Figured it out! It turns out I accidentally copied and pasted a second audio track on top of both the game and microphone audio tracks. No, I don't know how I did it either I was very drunk.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 6, 2017

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Clearly the dark influence of Tzeentch is to blame. He must have mutated your sound encoder out of spite.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ah, the great and petty plots of Tzeentch.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Chapter 4, Part 5 all according to the plan.

E: Half of it is because it just played choppy (in the loadout screen) and I've no clue as to why the rest got choppy.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 6, 2017

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The video's still pretty choppy

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Looks like the video smooths out as soon as you say a video has finished rendering. Think that might have something to do with it?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
That first chaos fight went really well for you because you blew up a third of their ships using lucky nova cannon shots.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Looks like the video smooths out as soon as you say a video has finished rendering. Think that might have something to do with it?

Nope, it's affecting other attempts at recording BFG:A without anything else system intensive going on. I bet it's windows playing up again.

E: Turns out I have had multiple instances of OBS running since when it crashes (which it occasionally does) it doesn't actually close if you don't click the crash message. As a result, I've got four spare versions of the same video to give out! :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 6, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
The Ruinous Powers strike again!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Chapter 4, Part 6 wherein we come a turn away from potential defeat, meet Captain Okar and say that we've avenged Rogal Dorn after killing the wrong ship.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Rogal Dorn isn't dead. Not when GW can sell models of him. One theory is that he survived and went back to Terra to help guard the Emperor. Also, the ship Dorn "died" on was the "Sword of Sacrilege" according the Lexicanum.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

White Coke posted:

Rogal Dorn isn't dead. Not when GW can sell models of him. One theory is that he survived and went back to Terra to help guard the Emperor. Also, the ship Dorn "died" on was the "Sword of Sacrilege" according the Lexicanum.

in the Grimdark Future of the 41st Mileenium, there are only retcons

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

In the Grimdark Future of the 41st Millennium, there are only retcons.

Just wait until they reveal Ferrus Mannus managed to survive having Fulgrim cut his head off.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

White Coke posted:

Just wait until they reveal Ferrus Mannus managed to survive having Fulgrim cut his head off.

Of course he lived. His hands were made of iron. What do you think his head was made of? :pseudo:

I mean, clearly his neck wasn't very tough. :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Dang, those Chaos ships blew up violently.

Also, I agree that reintroducing the Primarchs is annoying.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Rogal Dorn is currently at the Emperors Palace and is dispensing advice to his farther. In this episode we find out what a Primarch finds funny.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 9, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Chapter 4, Part 7 where we discuss avenging Rogal Dorn again, fight alongside the sons of Dorn (Obviously the Ultramarines) and have a pop at our erstwhile allies.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I am perpetually amused that His Divine Overcompensation keeps squeaking through these fights by the slimmest of margins.

I suggest naming a replacement cruiser the Everlasting Gobsmacker, as commanded by Captain Charlie.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Chapter 4, Part 7 where we discuss avenging Rogal Dorn again, fight alongside the sons of Dorn (Obviously the Ultramarines) and have a pop at our erstwhile allies.

Herp continues to deliver smugness followed by galling defeat

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

It really shows how well the alliance will hold with the prince calling us erstwhile allies.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Veloxyll posted:

Herp continues to deliver smugness followed by galling defeat

I have only a napkin-scratchings understanding of BFG rules, but it seems intuitively that if the enemy can go twice as fast as you, that relying on Shoving Your Face Into Their Stern and never ever ever evolving beyond that tactically is probably going to end with 100% of those battles looking kind of embarassing as "the weakest faction in the game" pretty much does whatever the gently caress it wants while the main body of the fleet succumbs to the consequences of multiple whiffed rammings and airball broadsides. I'm sure there's also a corollary to that for closing to melee against The Melee Space Combat Faction, as well.

Weirdly, those seem to be the two factions Herp struggles against the most :haw:

But it makes for a tense campaign arc, so its all good IMO.

Atomikus posted:

It really shows how well the alliance will hold with the prince calling us erstwhile allies.

hooo buddy as a Fargo fan i have got opinions about the use of that word in a sentence, i tell you what

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also I suspect that, as well as fleet strength adjustments, bars fill twice as fast on Hard. Since my Eldar/Ork bars are about half full at a similar point on Normal.

(I fluffed one of the Inquisitor's missions so lost one of the relics)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Can I propose a name for one of the destroyed vessel? The Imperial ship Pinafore, commanded by Captain Corcoran.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The good Light Crusider Edith Captained by Mr Moon

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Extremely satisfying nemesis battleship kill, Herp!

As someone who does not own the game, I hava a question: I noticed that Herp split the defense-platform attacking fleet and subsequntly lost two cruisers against a fleet that was not much larger than our own. Could you have kept your fleet together as a doom ball, killing both the platforms and the defesnsive fleet? Or is splitting up really the best strategy?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
I tend to do a rolling doom ball. Go from one end and roll the enemies up one at a time. If I can take some of them out before the rest of their fleet catch up with me then I have the advantage through overwhelming firepower (unless it's orks. They're tacky enough to be able to get the rest of the fleet caught up before I can take out too many ships.).

I typically tend to find if I split my fleet up then my weaker fleet will be the ones to find the opponents stronger ships first and be decimated before they can really contribute to the battle. But I may just be bad at the game

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I see splitting up as a diversionary tactic. The best way to do breakthrough missions (most missions in general) is to get the enemy fleet away from your main damage dealers and understand how many ships you can sacrifice and how many you need. Plus, with the lower speed of the Imperial fleet, getting stations on both map sides is a pain.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Seems like it just gets weak ships blown up doing something ineffectual instead of blown up supporting your bigger ships. Considering the AIs habit of deploying all spread out, wouldn't it be more effective to concentrate your ships and defeat them piecemeal as they arrive to the actual fight?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
From what i can tell kiting ork ships is usually ideal since a murder blob will have a hard time against an ork murder blob. Every other time just go full murder blob because your murder blob is better than everyone elses.
Edit: also eldar assasination missions are why all my light cruisers have the space marine favor on them and speed booster trait.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 13, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Chapter 4, Part 8, wherein we get screwed by shifty xenos smug bastards that deserve nothing but exterminatus.

paragon1 posted:

Seems like it just gets weak ships blown up doing something ineffectual instead of blown up supporting your bigger ships. Considering the AIs habit of deploying all spread out, wouldn't it be more effective to concentrate your ships and defeat them piecemeal as they arrive to the actual fight?

On Hard, the enemy has more deployment points. This means that for us to be successful consistently, we cannot fight them when they hold a defensive advantage from stations firing alongside a points advantage so we must rely on Obvious Tactics to keep the enemy away from our main force and take out periphery stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, Spire's comments re. the Eldar are the more bowdlerized version of what I remember, namely: 'Trust not the Eldar, for they say both yes and no, walk both forwards and backwards, and disappear up their own arses for an encore.'

• Locked thread