Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The music on this map coming up is one of my favorite tracks in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
While I do like this map, it's basically blatant "HEY BUY REVELATION YOU DINGUS".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The music on this map is great

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Gunter is amazing as a stat booster for Corrin thanks to his P..Skill. Corrin at this point should be good enough not to really need Dual Attacks, so it's a fair tradeoff.

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's a reason he's the most popular Fates male

That has more to him being voiced by Mamoru Miyano, one of the most popular VAs in Japan.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, given it is literally the exact same voters voting Leo into #1 as it is voting (F)Corrin #1 for the female side of the list, pointing out that he's the most popular Fates male , as shown by said polls, isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for him in and of itself. Not to say he isn't a good character, but being a relatively well-written and complex character (for this game) are not the reason he's #1.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Actually, Gunter's level cap is 30, much like how Felicia and Jakob's level cap is 40. :eng101: They also gain exp as though they're unpromoted, I believe.

I wrote off Gunter when I got him, but now that I think about it, there are worse you could do with a team slot than a pair-up fodder that gives a massive offensive boost to one of your strongest characters.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Finally after a game and a half I'm actually curious about what the plot will turn out to look like after a battle!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Glazius posted:

Finally after a game and a half I'm actually curious about what the plot will turn out to look like after a battle!

It will be stupid, and you will be disappointed. I guarantee it. And no, I don't know what's about to happen (beyond the fact that, in true Fates fashion, it will never be mentioned again, at least for this route).

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

AradoBalanga posted:

Is that manga really focusing on Conquest or is it focusing on Birthright? I've heard both answers, so I'm not really sure.

The manga hasn't gotten to the decision point yet, but the foreshadowing seems to indicate Birthright to me.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Melomane Mallet posted:

The manga hasn't gotten to the decision point yet, but the foreshadowing seems to indicate Birthright to me.

All the foreshadowing in the game before that point indicated Birthright.

What I really want to see is Fates: Rebellion. Where Corrin goes back to Nohr to check Garon's plans, figures out he's evil immediately, then takes advantage of the suicide mission and My Castle to recruit the Ice Tribe and Cheve into their own rebellion. Odin would decide to stick around for reasons of his own, while Niles would be a likely traitor - Until Leo wises up and begins siding with Corrin and Elise.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

MightyPretenders posted:

What I really want to see is Fates: Rebellion. Where Corrin goes back to Nohr to check Garon's plans, figures out he's evil immediately, then takes advantage of the suicide mission and My Castle to recruit the Ice Tribe and Cheve into their own rebellion. Odin would decide to stick around for reasons of his own, while Niles would be a likely traitor - Until Leo wises up and begins siding with Corrin and Elise.

Unfortunately, the writers aren't likely to write this, if only because it'd be out of character for Corrin (as in, it's too smart for them to think of it).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The 20 turns is way more than enough time to kill the boss, which is desirable because he has a Speedwing.

This is one of the only missions in Fates where there's no guard stance and all dual strikes. The enemies in this mission are surprisingly not that big of a deal, since most of them don't have skills.

The tactic for most of the chapter is Gunter baiting out an enemy, and Corrin supports some major damage in return.

The Levin Sword will also be invaluable to deal safe ranged damage.

Azura moves over to the Dragon Vein to activate the gimmick.

That's right, the Dragon Vein creates three replica characters on the other floating island. Anything that happens to them, happens to the original and vice versa. The limitations are that any weapon that's switched, is also switched to the other so be careful about your turn order or Gunter might be stuck with a Javelin instead of a Steel Axe.

The other limitation is that clone Azura's Sing and healing PSkill don't work. That does mean clone Azura will see a ton of combat use.

One MORE thing, debuffs apply to both so this ninja is doing double duty on his shurikens.

I'm starting to get a little tiny bit annoyed that Corrine is reliably hitting speed on a coin-flip stat.

I never really show off Azura's start animation because why would she start combat, but here it is.

Also I'm totally wrong on Gunter's leveling problem, he gains levels like a prepromote and his level cap is 30. So he will gain levels at a decent pace, just 19 more of these if you use him.

Azura's stats. Same as ever, she is immensely strong as a fighter if she never, ever, ever gets hit.

Levin Sword is seriously one of the best purchases you can make on Conquest and a reason why +Mag boon is so powerful.

Save your Aethers for things that need it, Corrine

Wow holy poo poo

Even if I gave her an HP tonic every single map, she still can't fight well. That ninja drops a Goddess Icon.

This guy can ruin your short run, because he has Seal Defense. Do not approach his aggro range without a fully healed Gunter.

...really

She doesn't need magic, but it helps. Although if I'm wishing, I really need her to gain some skill because she's slowly approaching Nyx level of missing.

Ow, ow. I hate Seal Defense so much. At least he gets a Spirit Dust. Reminds me that I still haven't actually used them, and now I have choices on who to give them to.

The menace is dead. Meanwhile, Azura has been giving Gunter the bonuses from her song for quite some time, more so for healing twice a turn with vulneraries.

This chapter is all about showing off Azura and Gunter battle lines.

He hit a 25% growth twice in three levels. Goddamn.

I reached the boss with most of the enemies dead by like turn 10. Like I said, plenty of time.

As for the boss, he has double steel ranged weapons with just enough skill to have a 3% crit on Gunter. Also, he doubles Gunter substantially.

The safer option is to just let Gunter counterhit with Javelin, though it still doesn't stop him from dying to the crit event.

And Corrin reaches the first level cap with a great power-up, and picks up the Speedwing.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Surprised you used Gunter so much. Maybe it is my pathological hatred of Jeigans and wasting experience, but I normally make this chapter the Corrin show. Granted, it takes longer but still nowhere near the time limit.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Time to vote Gunter into every map for the rest of the game.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Spend all stat boosters on Gunter.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Time to vote Gunter all of the stat boosters and then into every map for the rest of the game.

Fixed it for you.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So did they change something about the crit dodge formula in this game? It seemed like my dudes always were facing a 2-5% crit chance despite having a higher Luck than the crit chance listed on the enemy's stat page. Looks like Tae is starting to experience the same thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Crit Evade is apparently is Lck/2 in Fates.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

blizzardvizard posted:

Spend all stat boosters on Gunter.

Not an emtyquote

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

These games got a lot easier once I realized that tonics all stack.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Here's the sweet as hell track that plays on this map. I know it's looked down upon to say your own link is a pro click, buuuut...

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
For as memorable as this map is, it's a surprisingly easy one. I think the only time I even remotely had a problem with the time limit was on lunatic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Out of curiosity, where would you escape to?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Glazius posted:

Out of curiosity, where would you escape to?

The real party was hanging around there for like 5 turns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I on the other hand had no end of trouble with this map when I played it. I never bought a Levin Sword and I think my Corrin was promoted by then so that might've changed things.

Eventually I accepted being bad at Conquest and dropped it down to Phoenix.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 6, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He was certainly nowhere in Birthright. What was the difference here?

As you may recall, Hans knocked me into the Bottomless Canyon. I hit solid ground, but it wasn't a canyon floor. When I came to, I was here. I barely had time to find my bearings before those monsters started attacking me. I tried to fight, then to run. I almost died a number of times, but then Lady Azura—
You know Azura?!

In this abyss I tried to derive some clue as to how I could achieve peace for the world. During one of my visits, I found Gunter here, on the brink of death.
Lady Azura taught me how to hide here—where I could go to stay safe. I would be dead right now if it weren't for her kindness. I am forever in her debt.

Wait, doesn't that mean Gunter is stuck forever in this dimension in Birthright?

Thank you, Gunter, but I don't deserve your praise. After I left you that day, I was captured by Hoshidan soldiers. I wasn't able to come back for you until now. I'm so sorry I left you alone...
Think nothing of it, milady. I'm just happy to see you again.

But we came here by diving into the lake. It sounds mad... Is that even possible?

Different Dimensions sound crazy!! Who would even think of using them? *stares at Lilith*

It is. We are no longer in Nohr, but we are not in Hoshido either. It is a land separate from both. Ever near, but hidden to all.
A hidden land?
Yes. Time flows differently here than it does in the world we came from.

There exists a curse...if you speak of this land outside of it, you'll vanish.
Vanish?!
Don't worry. So long as you don't talk about it, you'll be fine.
We should head back. Please heed my warning and keep this place a secret. Both of you, follow me.

So there you go. That's why Azura can't say or explain poo poo to Corrin back in Birthright.

*Azura walks the group over to a cliff side*

If we jump here, we can return to the world from whence we came.
Wow, so this is how you go back and forth between worlds. Amazing.
Hm? Oh no, it's actually not. I always travel through water.
Oh. Then why don't we just go back the same way we came?

This is the only way to bring Gunter back with us. I realized that last time I was here. I tried to take Gunter with me but was unable to.
Just the two of us can travel through water? But why? Why us?
That's......
I'm sorry, but that's not something I can talk about right now. We need to get back to the other world now, before those things attack again.

What. Why. This is a safe place. Tell us.

No? Oh. Okay.

*Azura jumps*

Wow! She didn't even hesitate...

So, um...basically...you're saying you want me to jump first? ...

OK, I'm going to do it... Deep breaths...
HERE GOES NOTHING! *jumps*

*Screen fades to black*

Welcome back, Corrine.
I'm back already? Incredible.
Wait a minute... Where's Gunter?! H-he didn't get lost or something did he?!
Not to worry. If he jumped off the cliff as instructed, he'll show up here eventually.

That's why there´s a lag between when someone jumps and when they arrive back.
While we wait for him to appear...there's something I need to tell you.
Oh? What's that?
I've heard you say numerous times that you'd stop at nothing to end this war. If that's true, there's something you must do. It won't be easy though...

Oh man, you're asking her to ki...wait, dethrone? Is that...like, a fancy way of saying to kill him?

Dethrone Father? Are you mad?!
I'm sorry, but it's the only way. All he does is spread hate and evil. He's a cruel and heartless man, even to his own children. It's despicable.
Sadly, I can't disagree with any of that. But, Azura...

He is literally not your father. He literally killed your real father and kidnapped you. He killed your mother. He killed a city full of innocent people multiple times.

And oh my god, dethrone is seriously just demoting him. And she still won't do it.

The man you call Father...is not King Garon. Not anymore. The man masquerading as your father is not of this world. He's being controlled by something—by a demon of some sort.

...Why would you keep that secret to yourself till now? If anything, saying that evil king in Corrine's mind is evil because of a demon would motivate her more to do your plan. What the hell's going on?

I know that's a lot to swallow, but I think I can prove it to you......with this.

*Azura shows a crystal ball*

What...is it?

This is probably the same crystal that she gave to Leo back in the other route.

It has the power to reveal the truth. It takes an incredibly gifted mage, like Leo, to access its power at will. ...Or someone with highly potent dragon blood in their veins. Someone like you.

...Boy, this is just making Birthright Azura kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Now, if you would, go ahead and touch the crystal.
Um, OK...

Garon is a goopy monster, interesting that it doesn't show his dragon form.

The ball shatters after one use. You...probably should've brought more than one.

Now you know the truth about King Garon. Are you OK, Corrine?
...I'll be fine.
Azura... Can I ask you something? Is there really no way we can save him? No way at all?
Sadly, it's far too late for that. His soul has been corrupted beyond salvaging. The best we can do for him is to defeat him and release his soul to the next world.

So it was you...
It was. That song I sang has a mysterious power. I thought perhaps I could use it to turn Garon back to normal. ...It didn't work. That's when I realized he was too far gone to save.

Oh right, the singers. Man, this is the first time a sub-plot lasted this many chapters.

It's my fault they're being hunted. I'll never forgive myself for that.
You're not the only one who has suffered failures on the path to peace. I wanted so badly to end this war without sacrificing any lives. And yet...in Cheve, I was unable to stop the murder of all those innocent people.

Scarlet is dead because of you. :mad:

Corrine...

FINALLY

I can't do it without Xander and the others, though. They need to know.
Ugh, but how do I explain all his to them? Will they even believe me? I don't know where to begin, and what's worse, I can't mention that other world!
Hmm...
There might be a way to show them, but it's risky...
What do you have in mind?

...what

Once we've won, all we have to do is get Garon to sit on the Hoshidan throne.
That's right. I remember Mother saying something about that throne. She said those who sit on it regain their true form and mind.
Precisely. With that crystal, I was able to show you the truth. But with that throne, we could reveal the truth to our siblings too.

And to conquer Hoshido, we'll have to keep fighting your Hoshidan siblings. It won't be easy for you, Corrine... For that, I'm sorry.

So to keep the peace...we have to murder conquer the opposing kingdom. How exactly is this "change from within," because this is really skirting the line.

...My happiness is a small price to pay for the good of the whole world. I will continue to fight for Nohr and follow my father's every command. If I must sacrifice my soul and walk the path of evil to end this war, so be it.

So after 10 chapters, Corrine ends up fighting for Nohr and conquering Hoshido. NO, but don't worry it'll work out in the end guys

If that's the path you choose to walk, I shall walk it with you. I am ever at your service, Corrine. Together we will claim victory for Nohr.

SIEG NOHR

SIEG NOHR

Why exactly did we need to keep this secret from Gunter. He ain't loyal to Garon.

Welcome back, Gunter.
I'm so glad you made it back safely.
Well, no time to spare. Let's hurry back and rejoin the others. King Garon will grow suspicious if we're gone too long...

...So yeah, we're going to destroy Hoshido for a fancy chair and then....uh...stuff will happen with the siblings?

I don't think this plan is exactly thought out.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Tae posted:

[/url] You're so strong, and you're all curvy! But I'm just a little string bean...

There's a broken link in the conquest supports.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

And this is where the Conquest wild ride really starts. I could forgive the plot up to this point, despite all of its Corrin moments, but finally we get to the meat of it, and...we're going to stop Garon by letting him do exactly what he wants and helping him accomplish it.

I just...I don't understand.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Corrine's plan makes about as much sense as trying to have a staring contest with a nuclear explosion. I mean, the only logical way this plan makes any sense is that the writers wrote down "Garon sits on the Hoshidan throne, revealing he's some kind of rejected BOW made by the Umbrella Corporation" first, then worked their way backwards to write the plot. Except, writing the ending first is a dumb idea because then you have to crowbar everything that comes before it to lead to that predetermined conclusion, and 99% of the time it is going to fail in some fashion.

Also, why not use Azura's magical orb in front of the Nohrian siblings to reveal Garon is a goop monster? Why did Azura not do this when she first joined? Why does the orb only have one use before it breaks? Explain yourself, game!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

In theory, I like that the Hoshidan throne's magic power that we were explicitly told about at the start is being used. In practice, there were much better approaches to the problem of Garon that Corrine could take.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, why not use Azura's magical orb in front of the Nohrian siblings to reveal Garon is a goop monster? Why did Azura not do this when she first joined? Why does the orb only have one use before it breaks? Explain yourself, game!

From what Azura was saying, it might be that the image of Garon as a slime monster can only be seen by people who have high magical power or Corrine. So Leo might see the slime, but the other siblings would only see the crystal. Maybe.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

In theory, I like that the Hoshidan throne's magic power that we were explicitly told about at the start is being used. In practice, there were much better approaches to the problem of Garon that Corrine could take.

Not to mention their "we have to kill Hoshido to save them!" plan doesn't actually ensure that Garon will sit on the throne once all the Hoshidans are dead. In fact, there's no reason to believe that he'll do it.

What if he just... chooses not to sit in the chair? Boy, will Corrine's face be red! with the blood of her family.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

BlazeEmblem posted:

From what Azura was saying, it might be that the image of Garon as a slime monster can only be seen by people who have high magical power or Corrine. So Leo might see the slime, but the other siblings would only see the crystal. Maybe.

I like to think the other Nohr siblings would be capable of seeing reason with Corrin, Azura and Leo all in agreement on this issue, but then I remember what Xander did in Birthright :laffo:

Writing a conclusion and working backwards from there is a reasonable way of crafting a story, but you actually need to have it make sense going forwards too. It feels like the first draft had Corrin be Actually Bad (willingly serving Garon, crushing rebellions, invading Hoshido) and then got revised in the dumbest possible ways so that they can still be morally pure despite still doing all the Bad Things?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
At this point it becomes a contest: who's worse, Azura or Corrine?

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
And here we go. This is the moment where any hope I had for Conquest's story went up in smoke. This is the moment that immediately plunged Conquest, in my eyes, to be the worst plot in the entire series, and easily one of the worst plots I have ever seen in a game period. This is the moment that made the story so excruciating for me, it actively deterred me from playing. (That and how stressful the maps got) Azura, horribly, despicably condemning thousands upon thousands of her own adopted countrymen, likely her siblings too, to death just to prove it to the Nohr siblings (Read: Xander) and Corrine immediately agreeing to it. Corrine and Azura are bordering on being Tales Villains here (Which came to me initially from how I interpreted the goal of the plan to be to cure Garon, pulling a Mithos Yggdrasil, but no, it's to kill him, which is... Better?)

I brought up how I thought Conquest could have been improved if Yoko Taro wrote it before. One factor is that Corrine scarily reminds me of Nowe from Drakengard 2 (The non-Yoko Taro one, for those that do not know) in their sheer callous disregard for the consequences of their actions, while being blindly loyal to the point of bottomless stupidity. A Yoko Taro Conquest would have made Corrine and Azura realise how bad an idea their plan was, as it all descends into a road of unintended murder and insanity.

Worth noting, there was one other major pitfall in this route that drowned it deeper in it's own poo poo, but it takes until the end to truly realise it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
... This is going to somehow get even stupider before it's over, isn't it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

And here we go. This is the moment where any hope I had for Conquest's story went up in smoke. This is the moment that immediately plunged Conquest, in my eyes, to be the worst plot in the entire series, and easily one of the worst plots I have ever seen in a game period. This is the moment that made the story so excruciating for me, it actively deterred me from playing. (That and how stressful the maps got) Azura, horribly, despicably condemning thousands upon thousands of her own adopted countrymen, likely her siblings too, to death just to prove it to the Nohr siblings (Read: Xander) and Corrine immediately agreeing to it. Corrine and Azura are bordering on being Tales Villains here (Which came to me initially from how I interpreted the goal of the plan to be to cure Garon, pulling a Mithos Yggdrasil, but no, it's to kill him, which is... Better?)

I brought up how I thought Conquest could have been improved if Yoko Taro wrote it before. One factor is that Corrine scarily reminds me of Nowe from Drakengard 2 (The non-Yoko Taro one, for those that do not know) in their sheer callous disregard for the consequences of their actions, while being blindly loyal to the point of bottomless stupidity. A Yoko Taro Conquest would have made Corrine and Azura realise how bad an idea their plan was, as it all descends into a road of unintended murder and insanity.

Well, they might not.

But the narrative would be pretty sure about how horrible this plan is, and how awful of people they are.

Meanwhile, Conquest seems convinced Corrin's poo poo don't smell.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...How is it possible for them to look at this and think "this could work?" I'VE written better plots than this, and I could never make a living as a writer! Granted, at least part of that is my inability to come up with original settings, and another part is sheer laziness, but still...

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
What? Did you think because Garon was an evil dragon in Birthright that he wouldn't be an evil goo monster in this route? How naive of you! :v:

I find Azura's plan to conquer Hoshido potentially killing thousands just to reveal Garon is similar to Adrian Veidt's in Watchmen, except very poorly thought out and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Me feel stupider from watching stupidest scribbles in little boxes under pretty pictures.

JFC Azura "let's earnestly help at Dachau it'll give us a chance to take down Hitler" THAT's what you're saying.
Are we sure Corrin and Azura are not actually siblings? Because they feel equally stupid. Goddamn inbred dragon royals*.

E: * and I'm referring to Corrin and Azura specifically here, the other royals are fine people and even Xander and Takumi's rear end-sticks are bad, but not THIS bad.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 6, 2017

• Locked thread