Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Serotonin posted:

Im sorry for your loss. They've still got one seat though and if you ask very nicely Nige might come back.

gently caress off you oval office. Yet another 'Oh you have to be a racist because you think Corbyns poo poo'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn supporters are very good at telling people to gently caress off and vote for someone else.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ewan posted:

https://excelpope.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/rant/

I think it’s fair to say that the past 18 months have put me firmly on the anti- side of the Corbyn argument. On Twitter I’ve made a lot of jokes at the expense of Corbyn and his supporters, on Facebook, and in real life, I’ve argued and debated with them, been round and round their loops of obfuscation and denial, but I’ve never been angry with them.

Until now.

I think this is probably quite a common sentiment.

Very well constructed argument. Its also been clearly demonstrated on here over the past 36 hours where the extreme devout Cobynistas don't seem to want a political party they want a mouthpiece. Its really worrying, as their actions are going to indirectly cause a lot of people to die.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Corbyn is poo poo and no amount of apologising us going to disguise his gross incompetence and inability to lead an effective opposition that might be capable of actually running a country.

The polls coming back saying Theresa May is a better PM are coming back like that not because there's not a sudden surge in conservatism. They're coming back like that because Corbyn is not Prime Minister material and everyone knows it.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 6, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You know, you could just hold your nose and vote for Labour, even if you disagree with Corbyn's policies. ;) You don't want the Conservatives to win, do you??

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

WMain00 posted:

The polls coming back saying Theresa May is a better PM are coming back like that not because there's a sudden surge in conservatism.

Agreed. It's been there for the last 30years.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dammit I'm on my phone. I mean there's not a sudden surge.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn supporters are very good at telling people to gently caress off and vote for someone else.

Now the British people are all doing it.

The far left is an anti-Labour movement.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

hakimashou posted:

The far left is an anti-Labour movement.

Good job the Labour party aren't far left then, you Nazi gently caress.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Serotonin posted:

Agreed. It's been there for the last 30years.

Corbynista '15 - "Jeremy will win back Scotland, rejuvenate the Labour heartland, and energize non-voters with a new kind of politics!"
Corbynista '17- "We always planned to lose catastrophically, Death to Labour, Death to Britain, Long Live Corbyn"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

You know, you could just hold your nose and vote for Labour, even if you disagree with Corbyn's policies. ;) You don't want the Conservatives to win, do you??

most people in this topic who aren't massive fans of Corbyn are still voting Labour and have more of a problem with his incompetence than his policies.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It baffles me no end when frustrated Corbynites throw their rattles out of the pram, declaring democracy itself to be the problem and the only solution to be 'violent revolution'.

Who, exactly, is going to be doing it? The working classes are all voting Tory.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

serious gaylord posted:

I genuinely couldn't even imagine it would be this bad.

Some funky numbers here.

How can the SNP have won 425 council seats in 2012, and have 431 yesterday, if -7 means they lost 7 seats? Surely it should be +6?

:shrug:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's as bad as those who think that the lurch to the right by all levels of society is an issue entirely down to one man. A sacrificial lamb who once slaughtered will bring us back to the 'moderate' centre 'non-loony' ground.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think the tories might be extremely popular

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

BigHandsVince posted:

Some funky numbers here.

How can the SNP have won 425 council seats in 2012, and have 431 yesterday, if -7 means they lost 7 seats? Surely it should be +6?

:shrug:

Boundary changes since 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think brexit might be extremely popular

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

I don't want an incompetent administration with a man with no experience running the country either. Funny I know, as I realise the Conservatives are hardly the bastion of competency in affairs at the moment, but a Labour administration at the moment would be disastrous.

What exactly do you think would happen in the hypothetical situation that Corbyn actually won? His cabinet are a mix of bumbling fools, frustrated assassins or yes-men, none capable or concentrating on the aspect of actually leading a country. Do you think they're just suddenly going to spring to action overnight? Go "Oh well you won us the country Corbyn, all is forgiven." They're a disorganised mess and they'd remain a disorganised mess even if they were in control. The knifes would still be out for Corbyn, the PLP would still be scheming behind the scenes and the party would still be internally fighting with each other. The swords might go away, but it would be back to the dark arts of politics, of which Corbyn has no experience.

Not only that, but he'd have to contend with Tory or SNP led councils, dwindling party numbers, a budget that neither he nor McDonnell have any knowledge of challenging and the mounting issue of leaving the EU, which will not wait while Labour tries to sort itself out.

I hate to say this, because it's been said before, but the man is a very nice chap, but he cannot possibly be Prime Minister, nor should he.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, the whole "Corbynista" thing is directly the PLP's fault, when you think about it. They didn't realize that people wanted genuine change from failing liberal sameness, and then when people flocked to the first genuine leftist choice they fought it tooth and nail instead of trying to deal with it. Of course the people who back Corbyn are super defensive about it! If Corbyn is ousted, the PLP have made sure everyone knows it's going to be back to politics as usual as soon as they can arrange it. The PLP has created this situation in what can only be described as an incredible act of Political Seppuku.

The UK seems pretty doomed.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, the whole "Corbynista" thing is directly the PLP's fault, when you think about it. They didn't realize that people wanted genuine change from failing liberal sameness, and then when people flocked to the first genuine leftist choice they fought it tooth and nail instead of trying to deal with it. Of course the people who back Corbyn are super defensive about it! If Corbyn is ousted, the PLP have made sure everyone knows it's going to be back to politics as usual as soon as they can arrange it. The PLP has created this situation in what can only be described as an incredible act of Political Seppuku.

Pretty much, alas.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder if more people would have been more receptive to a new leader last year and treated the resignations from the shadow cabinet more seriously if there weren't a bunch of resignations and constant briefing against him from the moment he was elected?

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Party Boat posted:

Boundary changes since 2012

That's what I thought. Still makes no sense.

According to https://news.gov.scot/news/council-ward-boundaries-agreed

The total number of seats increased from 1223 to 1227, so it still doesn't make sense that they have 6 more seats than last time, but this is treated as a -7 loss.

BBC impartiality at work I guess.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

two years ago today we reached the pinnacle of hard hitting serious journalism never forget

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Rip Ed. If only you hadn't played by the media's rules you could have won. Your loss is Jeremy's gain.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MonsieurChoc posted:

How many spots is "PLP!!!!" worth in corbynista shift-the-blame bingo?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ewan posted:

quote:

He’s incompetent. Massively, massively incompetent. He can’t do a no-seats-on-the-train stunt without falling flat on his face.
Corbyn messes up PR stunts, while the Tories mess up political maneuvering on a scale that's now taking us out of the EU and risks breaking up the Union. Diane Abbott gets her numbers wrong on the radio and is excoriated while Boris Johnson parades around for months in front of a bus with an eight-foot-high lie printed on it but basically gets away with it.

The Tories are so good at incompetence that people don't even see it as such any more and just call it 'politics'.

quote:

He doesn’t want to. He’s spent his entire adult life fighting the establishment and fighting against his own party, and when he is the establishment all that’s left for him to fight against is his party.
Like how Theresa May didn't want Brexit and campaigned against it? And by all means put up an alternative candidate for leadership with sound policies. That Corbyn got voted in as leader twice shows a deep desire for someone with his political leanings. We haven't yet found anyone better to replace him than Normal Human Owen Smith.

quote:

He won’t win anyway.
Nothing matters, hope is a lie and death is certain.

quote:

You’re a hypocrite. Because if you’d wanted to keep the Tories out you’d have backed away when it became clear he wasn’t going to be any good at the job.
"Shut up and vote for the status quo" is a popular sentiment right now but it doesn't seem to be a vote-winner. "Stop voting for Corbyn and instead vote for Candidate X who embodies similar views" is far less common but might be more productive.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WMain00 posted:

I don't want an incompetent administration with a man with no experience running the country either. Funny I know, as I realise the Conservatives are hardly the bastion of competency in affairs at the moment, but a Labour administration at the moment would be disastrous.

I'm just having a laugh at the idea that "hold your nose" only counts if you're going right and not left.

But yeah Labour as a party is hosed, even if you replace Corbyn the issues between the party proper and the base are pretty bad at this point, not to mention leaving the EU has made UKIP leave their single-issue party and go back to voting for the Conservatives.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

What loonies? The 'far left' of Labour want the NHS protecting, more houses and, worker rights and a fairer society. They're not after full communism.

The far left is currently seems to be defined mainly by the fact that they don't accept that anyone else in the Labour Party wants any of that.

I don't see anything there a pre-Iraq Blair wouldn't have signed up to. Which means that if Blairites are evil scum, then the 'far left' are basically just conflicted about actually being New Labour for slow learners.

radmonger fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 6, 2017

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

BigHandsVince posted:

That's what I thought. Still makes no sense.

According to https://news.gov.scot/news/council-ward-boundaries-agreed

The total number of seats increased from 1223 to 1227, so it still doesn't make sense that they have 6 more seats than last time, but this is treated as a -7 loss.

BBC impartiality at work I guess.

It depends how new / merged seats are treated I guess but I can't follow how they've got there either. The Guardian's summary seems to treat every changed seat as a brand new one which means the SNP go from a base of 400 to 431.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/may/04/local-and-mayoral-elections-2017-live-results-tracker

Just found this:

BBC politics posted:

In some councils, boundary changes take place where councils are re-organised and the number of seats on the council changes.

In cases like this, the BBC uses "notional results" to project what the previous result would have been if the new boundaries had been in place at the last election.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 6, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ewan posted:

https://excelpope.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/rant/

I think it’s fair to say that the past 18 months have put me firmly on the anti- side of the Corbyn argument. On Twitter I’ve made a lot of jokes at the expense of Corbyn and his supporters, on Facebook, and in real life, I’ve argued and debated with them, been round and round their loops of obfuscation and denial, but I’ve never been angry with them.

Until now.

"I may have spent every minute since Corbyn was elected trying to detract from him/mock his supporters, but now I really mean it!"

Sure. Truly the people responsible for the way things are in this country are not the ones who voted for it, they are blameless. The true villains are the ones who didn't vote for more neoliberalism.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

TACD posted:

Corbyn messes up PR stunts, while the Tories mess up political maneuvering on a scale that's now taking us out of the EU and risks breaking up the Union. Diane Abbott gets her numbers wrong on the radio and is excoriated while Boris Johnson parades around for months in front of a bus with an eight-foot-high lie printed on it but basically gets away with it.
PR matters, it matters massively. Whether you like it or not. If you are caught failing to do the most simple things, people extrapolate that and expect you to be equally incompetent at running a country.

And I'm sorry, Diane Abbot's gently caress up was a gently caress up of epic proportions it wasn't just "getting her numbers wrong". You had the shadow home secretary on the radio during campaign season effectively announcing a new policy. In the backdrop of a campaign where one of the largest criticisms of Labour is "none of their policies are costed / they don't know what they're doing". Then when asked the single most important and obvious question (what will it cost?) she gets it horrendously wrong, over and over again. How can you expect this woman to be able to be the Home Secretary, where she has to deal with immigration, police, counter-terrorism on a daily basis? These are arguably some of the most important things people care about.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WMain00 posted:

What exactly do you think would happen in the hypothetical situation that Corbyn actually won? His cabinet are a mix of bumbling fools, frustrated assassins or yes-men, none capable or concentrating on the aspect of actually leading a country. Do you think they're just suddenly going to spring to action overnight? Go "Oh well you won us the country Corbyn, all is forgiven." They're a disorganised mess and they'd remain a disorganised mess even if they were in control. The knifes would still be out for Corbyn, the PLP would still be scheming behind the scenes and the party would still be internally fighting with each other. The swords might go away, but it would be back to the dark arts of politics, of which Corbyn has no experience.

Not only that, but he'd have to contend with Tory or SNP led councils, dwindling party numbers, a budget that neither he nor McDonnell have any knowledge of challenging and the mounting issue of leaving the EU, which will not wait while Labour tries to sort itself out.

I hate to say this, because it's been said before, but the man is a very nice chap, but he cannot possibly be Prime Minister, nor should he.

Nice hypotheticals, but the only way to know if Korbyn's Krew would be poo poo in government would be to see them in government. Otherwise, all you've got is a press (and a PLP) determined to seize on every mistake made by Corbyn as evidence of how poo poo he is.

You say Corbyn can't control his party, well, half of the reason May is calling an election now is that she can't control enough of her backbenchers to govern effectively, costing the country ~£125m in the process.
You say Corbyn has no experience of the "dark arts of politics", well, neither do the Tories, if Boris and Gove's - two of the most high-profile, well-regarded (by the press anyway, lol) Tory MPs - leadership campaigns were anything to go by.
You say Corbyn and McDonnell have no knowledge of challenging the budget, but the Tories - on an election pledge of reducing the deficit - borrowed more public money than EVERY SINGLE LABOUR GOVERNMENT EVER, COMBINED - and the deficit is still set to rise again next year, even while the economy continues to gurgle and poo poo itself in the gutter.

And even on the PR side of things, let's not forget that even loving Sky News took the time to put together a vignette of May having a disastrous door-knocking session. Bad PR is everywhere, not just within Labour.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The fault isn't just Corbyn's, it's the fault of the people and unions who voted him into leadership and continued to support him despite his clear unsuitability.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

The fault isn't just Corbyn's, it's the fault of the people and unions who voted him into leadership and continued to support him despite his clear unsuitability.

They should have elected Owen Smith or Angela Eagle? They would have beaten the Tories into submission for sure.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

kingturnip posted:

Bad PR is everywhere, not just within Labour.

Yeah but you can't attack Corbyn's Labour on policy because the policy is moderatly okay left of centre stuff. You've got to attack them on PR and image.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah but you can't attack Corbyn's Labour on policy because the policy is moderatly okay left of centre stuff. You've got to attack them on PR and image.
You missed one, possibly the most important. Their policies might be good, but it's no good if they're so incompetent they can't implement them without loving up. That is the perception most people have - and frankly you can't say it's not true because there is no evidence (equally you can't say it is true either).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ewan posted:

You missed one, possibly the most important. Their policies might be good, but it's no good if they're so incompetent they can't implement them without loving up. That is the perception most people have - and frankly you can't say it's not true because there is no evidence (equally you can't say it is true either).

its really good they chose the extremely competent Owen Smith as the most recent corbyn challenger

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

We also have to rememember fault is not a zero sum game. Multiple people and factors are at fault.

Is it the fault of the media for disproportionately attacking Corbyn? Yes
Is it the fault of the PLP and their constant backstabbing and attempts to undermine? Yes

But
Is it also the fault of the Corbynistas carrying a "holier than thou" attitude and telling anyone who doesn't agree to gently caress off and go vote Tory? Yes
Is it also the fault of Corbyn and his team over and over again loving up the simplest of PR/media skills? Yes
Is it also the fault of his Cabinet constantly loving up, cross briefing, back-tracking, etc? Yes

On the Corbynista attitude one, it is one that annoys me a lot. Their reaction to people suggesting Labour would better off more centrist or that they'd "never vote Corbyn PM" is to say "gently caress off Blairite/neoliberal/Tory scum", rather than trying to understand why they think that way, and come up with ideas to win them over rather than just telling them they're thick/evil cunts. You have to remember 95% of the population doesn't have a clue what "neoliberal" means, don't have a clue what being a "Blairite" is, doesn't have a clue about the Tory's vision for privatised/corporate-run Britain, doesn't have a clue other than you can pick between some well-spoken competent-looking men and women in suits and a ragtag bunch of jokers who gently caress up at every corner. You don't win these voters over by calling them names.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Stop loving pretending that you would have voted for a socialist and that all the bad PR is anything but a convenient smokescreen for you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jose posted:

its really good they chose the extremely competent Owen Smith as the most recent corbyn challenger
Other people also being incompetent does not suddenly make Corbyn & co competent.

• Locked thread