Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Munchables posted:

I didn't realize I had to make passes, and I think I might have been a bit too close. What do you suggest for stripping? I've never done it before.

Yeah you generally want to get a thin coat on the model so you don't lose any detail. The goal is to get one coat of coverage so you can lay the base color and paint will adhere to the model better.

I haven't really had to strip a lot of models, but people swear by Simple Green cleaner to strip things. There's a guide to stripping models on Dakka: https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/WarOne%27s_Simple_Green_Stripping_Method

S.J. posted:

I just use Krylon double coverage primer for basically everything. Works perfectly and is 1/3rd of the price of GW poo poo.

Undiluted simple green for about a day, then an old toothbrush.

fwiw, the GW primer is pretty good, it's just overpriced. I like it more than Krylon, but it isn't worth what they charge for it. This isn't a result of the brand of primer he used.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah you generally want to get a thin coat on the model so you don't lose any detail. The goal is to get one coat of coverage so you can lay the base color and paint will adhere to the model better.

I haven't really had to strip a lot of models, but people swear by Simple Green cleaner to strip things. There's a guide to stripping models on Dakka: https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/WarOne's_Simple_Green_Stripping_Method

fwiw, the GW primer is pretty good, it's just overpriced. I like it more than Krylon, but it isn't worth what they charge for it. This isn't a result of the brand of primer he used.

Yeah I use Krylon myself but this is certainly a case of too many heavy coats.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you guys have any recommendations for painting yellow (both dudes and vehicles) as well as any guides for applying decals?

My tentative plan was a light tan undercoat (something like Skeleton Bone Army Painter or equivalent), hitting the upper surfaces with a white airbrush pass, doing a thinned wash of a sepia color, and then hitting the whole model with a yellow ink pass. Reviewing my collection it seems like the majority of GW paint pots have dried out (except of course for the pots originally made by Coat d'Arms in the 90s which are still going great) so I'm not afraid to start over with better paints.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for painting yellow (both dudes and vehicles) as well as any guides for applying decals?

My tentative plan was a light tan undercoat (something like Skeleton Bone Army Painter or equivalent), hitting the upper surfaces with a white airbrush pass, doing a thinned wash of a sepia color, and then hitting the whole model with a yellow ink pass. Reviewing my collection it seems like the majority of GW paint pots have dried out (except of course for the pots originally made by Coat d'Arms in the 90s which are still going great) so I'm not afraid to start over with better paints.

I found that a light black wash on a white primed model with zenith yellow airbrushing gives a really easy and decent yellow base. That is all I did for my guardians as they spend most of the game inside a wave serpent.

I imagine if I put another 20 minutes per model I could make them look even sharper.

As for applying decals the only trick is micro sol and micro set, then a consistent varnish over the whole model, whatever you style you prefer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh for sure. I just can't justify the GW prices unless I'm needing to prime a particular color.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

I haven't really had to strip a lot of models, but people swear by Simple Green cleaner to strip things. There's a guide to stripping models on Dakka: https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/WarOne%27s_Simple_Green_Stripping_Method

I didn't want to pay 19 for a can of leadbelcher for primer and I just major clogged my airbrush making my own primer with Vallejo model air gunmetal. Ugh. I'm using krylon next time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I found that a light black wash on a white primed model with zenith yellow airbrushing gives a really easy and decent yellow base. That is all I did for my guardians as they spend most of the game inside a wave serpent.

Sweet holy hell I love some nice gradient / checkerboard eldar vehicle paintjobs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did a bunch of testing to get a yellow I liked (the left guy)

That's a base of VMC Pale Sand

- Spot highlights of VMC ivory

- Forgeworld Sigismund yellow tint

- GW Cassandora yellow wash

- Spot highlight of P3 Cygnus yellow, then the same with a bit of white, then 2/3rds white.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Is there a way to put the Sigmar upgrades onto the snapfit models? I got the Storm of Sigmar little box, and I'll probably use the chaos dudes to practice priming and painting lol. I bought the Knights Excelsior upgrade box, because the sun matches my chapter theme.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I imagine if I put another 20 minutes per model I could make them look even sharper.

As for applying decals the only trick is micro sol and micro set, then a consistent varnish over the whole model, whatever you style you prefer.

Looks great.

Do you know any guides for making custom decals? I want to use the MM logo but I suck at freehanding.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks great.

Do you know any guides for making custom decals? I want to use the MM logo but I suck at freehanding.

I have never done it but if you have an ink jet printer I guess you can buy paper you can just print custom decals on.

Also heres more pics of my wave serpents, pretty proud of these models as they are perhaps the closest I have ever gotten to getting a model the way I pictured it in my head before starting painting.

Currently working on this Voidweaver.

Sadly this has kind of been put on hold as I wait for some car insurance stuff to go through (lady hit me and broke a sit ton of my models and don't want to fix them or work on them until everything is sorted out.

So instead of working on models I am taking the opportunity to build an ice theme board for my group. Very early stage, but have really enjoyed the change of pace.

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 6, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

There are no cool marine chapters.

Sisters of Battle, Imperial Guard and Cult Mechanicus are way more interesting than any marine chapter as far as forces of the Imperium go.

Doom Cogs.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just bought one of those Taotronic lights. Bloody nice actually, would recommend for painting.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I picked up the new White Dwarf model, the one in power armor. It's a great little sculpt and even comes with an alternative 25mm scenic base to put him on.

Guess who's getting his feet magnetized? :swoon:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo Marines Malevolent are the best. Definitely the chapter for me.

Have you considered Sons of Malice?
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sons_of_Malice

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
the guy at my store who more or less exclusively uses the hosed up mechanicus formation was having a huge sook about wasted money and models, so.... 40k good?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Munchables posted:

I didn't realize I had to make passes, and I think I might have been a bit too close. What do you suggest for stripping? I've never done it before.

Literally a video of me priming and then showing the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk1ZxRABLNg

Hope that helps. But a swim in the simple green is the next step.

On a related note, is there demand for a painting basics video series?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Clawtopsy posted:

the guy at my store who more or less exclusively uses the hosed up mechanicus formation was having a huge sook about wasted money and models, so.... 40k good?

Honestly this is why I welcome game balance so much.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Clawtopsy posted:

Same, except it was a massive Skyhammer army and he tried to claim those codex vouchers on -all- his codexes and threatened to report GW to... someone for bad trade practice? idk, but I could barely repress my grin at his grog tears.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
warhammer might be the only hobby where you need to laugh and jeer at your fellow gamers

it's weird as heck now that i've stopped playing

"Haha this guy is the bad kind of guy who paints plastic spacemen. this is the opposite of me, the good spaceman guy."

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Thundercloud posted:

Honestly this is why I welcome game balance so much.

It's my favourite part of the edition change over so far.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Idea for a Space Marine chapter- The Iron Lobsters. Now for a color scheme.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Screaming Bell straight out the pot, wash gloss Reikland Fleshshade, drybrush Necron Compound. Give everyone Striking Scorpion claws.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Milky Moor posted:

warhammer might be the only hobby where you need to laugh and jeer at your fellow gamers

"Haha this guy is the bad kind of guy who paints plastic spacemen. this is the opposite of me, the good spaceman guy."

Pretty sure laughing at bad sports getting owned is universal my dude

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is but very few other games have bad sports overtly supported by purposely overpowered rules in order to sell more models.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Golf gets a lot of people to spend crazy amounts of money on gear or training aids just to shave a couple strokes off.

Paintball also has people dropping $2k on markers, but those people are usually mocked.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That is true, but there is no option to pay an extra 1000 dollars at a golf tournament to start 1000 yards closer to the hole.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

goose willis posted:

I will never understand the appeal of playing Ultramarines

Doing that is like getting a gigantic box of chocolates as a gift and then eating the box

And that is why you fail.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Milky Moor posted:

Most games where a competitive advantage is directly tied to what you spend can have that element. It's particularly evident in video games, but I've even seen it in high school robotics competitions where some teams have robots that are basically designed and built by adults.

I don't particularly feel the need to mock someone unless they're absolutely insufferable, but schadenfreude is definitely real and watching a WAAC player complain because the rules change is definitely enjoyable.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ultramarines?

More like... No...ltramarines

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Little does Moola know they were originally called the Skultramarines but rowboat girlyman decided he might want to be a little less overt about his treason.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

"poo poo talking only exists in warhammer"

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Double post. GW is good and cool

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

Little does Moola know they were originally called the Skultramarines but rowboat girlyman decided he might want to be a little less overt about his treason.

gently caress Skulltramarines is a good chapter idea...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Ultramarines are cool and good and also I now want to make Skultramarines successor chapter.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Make them traitors and give them noice weapons so they can rock.

Travoltramarines, loyalist successor chapter all modeled without helmets and greenstuff coiffed hair.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/06/new-warhammer-40000-war-zone-cadia-may6gw-homepage-post-4/

quote:

We’ll be back tomorrow with more news on the new edition, when we look at how the biggest models in the game will work.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

quote:

Cadia may have broken; the Guard, have not.
:getin:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

quote:

Cadia may have broken; the Guard, have not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Games Workshop posted:

Big models tomorrow

Moment of truth, ladies and gents: can anyone overcome the insistence of the design team to charge Eldar 1/3 the points for a superheavy that's twice as effective and with superior stats as other factions?*

*Except Tyranids compared to whom they are roughly 1/5 the cost.

• Locked thread