Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I usually hate "horror" games, especially the ones that excessively jump scare you but somehow I not only don't mind Prey but I kinda like how tense the game is.
I think it's probably because most "jump scares" in Prey aren't scripted to be unavoidable. I can be proactive about not getting spooked by being observant, since mimics have a whole bunch of tells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Punch everything! I just noticed that the waterfall in the garden area before deep storage is a looking glass. This game is so loving good :allears:.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are Psi Packs the only way to restore Psi?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Jack Trades posted:

Well aside from the Science Operator roboty things that will restore you to full, I think Energy drinks give you a little bit.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah I'm early in the game and iv'e just been stealthing around phantoms instead of fighting them usually. You can also spec into better stealth attacks so you can do huge damage with the wrench.

Oh so this is a Bethesda game after-all. Stealth archery challenge, kill the biggest mimic with a sneak attack from the huntress.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Why no reviews? Embargo is till day after release?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Bethesda operates a policy of not supplying reviewers with review copies before launch. They got it at launch just like anyone else (apart from certain high profile streamers it would seem).

The reviews are probably being written as we speak.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

So some major spoilers regarding the December plot

I went to alex's office and I had level 4 hacking and lifting by this point so I got everything there. Found his private escape pod which needed the ep101 key. This was in his private quarters the crew quarters. I then went back to the Escape Pod and January didn't like I was abandoning the station. But I jettisoned the escape pod and got some kind of looking glass error or something, an achievement, and alex saying something about me being a failure / not the one. Then I got a non standard game over and a loading screen.

The error screen and Alex's line will make more sense once you finish the game the 'normal' way.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I JUST REALIZED YOU CAN USE THE RECYCLER BOMBS TO OPEN SUPER LOCKED DOORS.

AHHHHH. I NEED TO GO BACK. I HAVE SO MANY ROOMS.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone tried to fabricate something you didn't find a fabricating license for by manually shoving the ingredient blocks into right places, minecraft-style?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rookersh posted:

Those things are way more useful than I initially gave them credit for. They don't give much in terms of mats so I use them as master keys for all the "need level 3 leverage to access" places.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Those things are way more useful than I initially gave them credit for.

The toolbox this game provides for navigating its world is super flexible and engrossing. I love it. In any other game the nerf crossbow would be a one-off joke, but here it actually has some practical applications!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Some are dropping here and there from possibly just speed running the game as hard as they can, and this one does bring up the excellent question of how the mimics are like the evolutionary step of the over reliance on jump scares. Now there's a scare from anything and everything!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone help me reach Josh Dalton?
I can see him, but there's not quite enough room to squeeze through this opening (the pipe takes it all up). I can enter the pipe, but it goes somewhere completely different.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=920157439

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Can someone definitively tell me if I want to mess with typhon nueromods but don't want to trigger some bad ending or w/e ending is associated with it, can I install any of them? There are some mind controlled humans I want to try to save but it seems to require the associated psi power...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No idea. I'm still on my first run and taking things very slow as I creep around.

That being said I installed the coffee cup power (because hell yeah I want to sneak through tight gaps) and the turrets don't shoot me (yet) but they do comment about it when they scan me. I think that's all I'm going to use until I'm happy with all my tech skills anyway.

Not really trying to metagame as such, just taking it as it comes.

I was immediately told off for turning the prisoner into exotic materials without a second thought. Sorry January, I just wanted more materials and that was all I cared about..

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 6, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SoggyGravy posted:

Can someone definitively tell me if I want to mess with typhon nueromods but don't want to trigger some bad ending or w/e ending is associated with it, can I install any of them? There are some mind controlled humans I want to try to save but it seems to require the associated psi power...

Your use of typhon nueromods and whether or not you killed any humans is mentioned in the post-credits scene, and it's... implied that it might have some impact on the outcome of that scene but I'm not sure how much.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

There's a chipset in Psychotronics that'll give you a small amount of passive psi regen. I think it's in the little tunnel where you get your psychoscope behind a level 3 leverage box.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phoix posted:

There's a chipset in Psychotronics that'll give you a small amount of passive psi regen. I think it's in the little tunnel where you get your psychoscope behind a level 3 leverage box.

Dammit I'm down that drat zero G tunnel at the sub junction. I am NOT backtracking through all the nasty poo poo behind me.

Hopefully I remember to go back there once I reach the lobby again at some point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Neuromod Fabrication License uses a bunch of metal? Guess I'll have to find a way through the game without crafting any more ammo, ever.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Phoix posted:

I think chipsets/misc loot are randomised.

Some other stuff seems to be too, one point early on in the game my helper buddy told me he got the impression some minor character really admired me. I reloaded that section and my buddy said he thought the guy hated me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:stare: :sweatdrop:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Prey is the spiritual sequel to System Shock 2 we should have gotten all those years ago. Biolol, amirite?

I'll have to revisit my developing opinion on the game, but drat if this isn't GOTY material so far. It feels refreshing to play a game in a setting that feels like a real place and not just a series of plot-locked doors.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Protip, don't get kinetics. It looks good on paper but it's a huge pile of psi power used and it isn't that useful in practice.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

My waste paper basket fell over out of the corner of my eye and started rolling.

My dog knocked it over sniffing a greasy napkin

I swear I did not scream

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Awwww yeah golden gun! Finally I can pop those burning skulls in style!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blattdorf posted:

Prey is the spiritual sequel to System Shock 2 we should have gotten all those years ago. Biolol, amirite?

I'll have to revisit my developing opinion on the game, but drat if this isn't GOTY material so far. It feels refreshing to play a game in a setting that feels like a real place and not just a series of plot-locked doors.

Basically yes. Games like this don't come along often.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rookersh posted:

gently caress me...
Now I want to refund my Leverage Neuromods.

Oh well, now I know for the second playthrough.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
this game is good

really, really good.

buy it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

gently caress me...
Now I want to refund my Leverage Neuromods.

Oh well, now I know for the second playthrough.

At least on Nightmare difficulty leverage is still super useful because I have no idea how I'd kill some of the stronger enemies without throwing poo poo at them.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If this doesn't sell that well because the Bethesda marketing department is utterly poo poo, I'll be so goddamn annoyed. Game is really darn good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im enjoying the game but don't feel it's really going to open up until I get whatever alien powers are in the game into my skill tree. iI reached the atrium workshop just now and have some neuromods but really want to wait for the cool poo poo.

I rushed Necropsy so I could harvest lots of alien corpse poo poo and recycle but I hope I find another recycler soon, it's a bummer to have to rush back over to Morgan's office right now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

im enjoying the game but don't feel it's really going to open up until I get whatever alien powers are in the game into my skill tree. iI reached the atrium workshop just now and have some neuromods but really want to wait for the cool poo poo.

I rushed Necropsy so I could harvest lots of alien corpse poo poo and recycle but I hope I find another recycler soon, it's a bummer to have to rush back over to Morgan's office right now.

You get them pretty soon after that.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Can anyone tell me how well this plays on a not-pro PS4?
Dishonored 2 felt really treacly and awkward, and I hear the early press demo had some input lag issues which are supposedly fixed...? How is it?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a good place to get a poo poo load of mineral material? I'm always low.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fadam posted:

Is there a good place to get a poo poo load of mineral material? I'm always low.

Like someone said earlier, you can make a big pile of robot corpses, trashcans, and other metal junk then throw one of those grenades at it to break everything down into crafting mats.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Concerned Citizen posted:

this game is good

really, really good.

buy it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

Can anyone tell me how well this plays on a not-pro PS4?
Dishonored 2 felt really treacly and awkward, and I hear the early press demo had some input lag issues which are supposedly fixed...? How is it?

Good news it plays the same on a pro as a non pro because there is no pro version. Bad news the input lag wasn't fixed. The FPS okay at least :shrug:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I was amused by the lab where there's a post-it on everything in the lab that reads "NOT A MIMIC".

I'm stuck in the Morgue though:
I've been waiting about 15 minutes for a Science Operator to turn up to tail into the Morgue, which supposedly happens on the half-hour, but it's now 05:03 in game time and still no sign of the critter... am I missing something here?

There is another way in, but I'm trying to avoid the action that enables that way...

Quinton fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So cool, I have a quest in space! I'm going to wander around space a bit!

What's this a hull breach in Power Plant? I'll go explore that while I'm here! Could be some survivors/stuff down in the Power Plant.

:stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE.