Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Punitives are going to the jury ladies and gents.

I hope you get filthy rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Trip Report: Deus Ex Machina, or "I thought you'd be dead."

This will not be as detailed as I hoped, because there was a continuance, which is a great thing for me, but not great for giving you guys the juicy stuff.

So roughly two minutes before the hearing, a third party approaches me with documents from the 1920's showing her family has a claim to some of the land at issue. With her are two old people. One of them is someone I was 99% sure was dead, and I had intended to grill the guy I'm going after on that point, because his m.o. was taking title from dead people and forging deeds to himself. So dodged a bullet there. But we then have a 90 minute argument in front of the judge on getting a continuance, because the potential crooks know that more time = more chance that we find out about their scheme. Luckily, the judge was friends with the third party that showed up and got all teary eyed requesting time to press her claim, so booyah.

Will fill in more later if/when the prosecution commences.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I worked in a Notorious BIG line into my closing address today. Shockingly it didn't make it into the paper. Snobs.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Toona! You're a rising 3L. How's it going?

I'm solidly set up to be a degenerate alcoholic public defender after law school, so pretty good I'd say.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I worked in a Notorious BIG line into my closing address today. Shockingly it didn't make it into the paper. Snobs.

Was there also a bow tie reference?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

Punitives are going to the jury ladies and gents.

Pay off my loans and I'll come open your eminent domain practice group.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Lote posted:

Was there also a bow tie reference?

No but there will always be more trials.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Speaking of punitive damages, here in Iowa the legislature just passed "tort reform" of med mal cases. Except in very specific circumstances (basically negligence one step removed from battery) the damages are statute limited at $250k.

Hilariously, no one is quite sure what that means for jury instructions, or whether juries should even be told there's a ceiling. Making it even better, both plaintiff and defense firms are unhappy. Plaintiffs are unhappy because it will clearly lower payouts. But defense attorneys are unhappy because they think that juries will treat it as the floor for damages, and default to $250k, even when it isn't called for.

Basically the only group this dumbass statute helped are companies that insure doctors.

Oh also, they passed a law that says you must be allowed to carry a gun into state buildings, INCLUDING COURTHOUSES. From what I hear there are a number of judges who are going to make sure no guns come in, in accordance with a separate statute giving judges control over administration of their buildings. So look for that fun case in a couple years.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are they declaring a mistrial as a result? What's the outcome?

I think there's also a bar complaint, maybe? One of my public defender acquaintances likes to tell the story of how he won a Batson challenge and got a bar complaint filed against a prosecutor on her first trial ever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are they declaring a mistrial as a result? What's the outcome?

If anyone is interested.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article148511089.html#wgt=trending

My dad appears in federal court a lot and apparently likes this judge quite a bit. The defendant's attorneys are not exactly babies either, the two guys have 5 digit bar numbers (we're in the 300,000s now) which means they've been at it for at least 40 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nm posted:

If anyone is interested.

My dad appears in federal court a lot and apparently likes this judge quite a bit. The defendant's attorneys are not exactly babies either, the two guys have 5 digit bar numbers (we're in the 300,000s now) which means they've been at it for at least 40 years.

That's loving awesome and glad they got called out publicly.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

nm posted:

If anyone is interested.

Dang, I wish my local news could cover anything in that kind of detail.

I honestly think they're not capable of writing anything that isn't a fluff piece.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh also, they passed a law that says you must be allowed to carry a gun into state buildings, INCLUDING COURTHOUSES. From what I hear there are a number of judges who are going to make sure no guns come in, in accordance with a separate statute giving judges control over administration of their buildings. So look for that fun case in a couple years.

P Barnes better watch the gently caress out!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I hope you get filthy rich

Notice of appearance just filed by defendant's appellate attorney. Things are looking good.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Notice of appearance just filed by defendant's appellate attorney. Things are looking good.

I mean the thing is once you hit a big case you realize you have to keep working even though an exorbitant amount of money is going towards taxes this year and you realize you're working this year to keep money flowing for the years to come.

So have fun with that motivation.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I mean the thing is once you hit a big case you realize you have to keep working even though an exorbitant amount of money is going towards taxes this year and you realize you're working this year to keep money flowing for the years to come.

So have fun with that motivation.

We just need the verdict to set the settlement amounts on the other cases. Even if we hit it big, tort reform will gut what ever they give us.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Defense verdict. On to the next one.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
gently caress. Sorry man.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roger_Mudd posted:

hey at least it's a Friday right?

I'm real pissy about some job interview stuff but I'm gonna distract myself with trying to figure out how and if I'm supposed to dethatch my lawn. I recommend the same for you

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

hey at least it's a Friday right?

I'm real pissy about some job interview stuff but I'm gonna distract myself with trying to figure out how and if I'm supposed to dethatch my lawn. I recommend the same for you

I'm on day 4 of being bedridden after b surgery. Im finally conscious enough to start watching tv again.

I've yet to check my work email that whole time.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm on day 4 of being bedridden after b surgery. Im finally conscious enough to start watching tv again.

I've yet to check my work email that whole time.

Man your doctor must have given way better painkillers than I ever got

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

EwokEntourage posted:

Man your doctor must have given way better painkillers than I ever got

Ligament replacement, micro fracture treatment, 8 hours a day strapped to a continuous passive motion machine. And they hosed up my Achilles during surgery. Pain has sometimes reached like 9/10.

Plus I'm a wealthy American attorney so they don't care what I get. And I haven't taken any opiates in ten years and don't drink so I have no tolerance.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Got an email threatening sanctions against us at 6:00 today. Great way to start the weekend!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

Sorry, man.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Lotta advice here for the summer associates. It's all dumb - they will give you an offer if you do these two things:

1) Do your work on time (meet internal deadlines) and try a little bit.
2) Don't get wasted at summer events

Done - you have a job.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Sab0921 posted:

Lotta advice here for the summer associates. It's all dumb - they will give you an offer if you do these two things:

Done - you have a job.

You posted this from work didn't you

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Sab0921 posted:

Done - you have a job.

Except we have non-offered numerous summer associates who did those two things, but were otherwise annoying.

Like we literally non-offered the one I spoke about earlier who was constantly babbling about how she was experienced at life and knew things they younger people couldn't because of her age. Because she was a condescending know-it-all, and no one wanted to work with her.

So if "try a little bit" means, "Don't be a condescending dolt," then yes, I guess we have the same advice. But there are a lot of things you can do to irritate people. Some of which, at the right firms, will result in a non-offer.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You posted this from work didn't you

:(

The correct answer is big law is stupid and summer associates should do other, cooler poo poo.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

Except we have non-offered numerous summer associates who did those two things, but were otherwise annoying.

Like we literally non-offered the one I spoke about earlier who was constantly babbling about how she was experienced at life and knew things they younger people couldn't because of her age. Because she was a condescending know-it-all, and no one wanted to work with her.

So if "try a little bit" means, "Don't be a condescending dolt," then yes, I guess we have the same advice. But there are a lot of things you can do to irritate people. Some of which, at the right firms, will result in a non-offer.

We have only non-offered in my brief time for those two things. But, I'm a third year and new to this, so YMMV.

However, I have a distinct preference for older summer associates (likely not the ones you describe though). You have to train "K through JDs" how to be a lawyer and also how to have a job. It's very annoying.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

stairs in abugadu's house confirmed.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The concept of K through JD really bothers me, even though that's almost what I did.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The concept of K through JD really bothers me, even though that's almost what I did.

I'm convinced that people don't actually grow up until they're working a full time job (or jobs) with no hope of doing something else, no end in sight, and no ability to call in sick constantly without consequences.

so you can be a grown up at 16 after dropping out, or not be one at 35 like my sister

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

One of our K through JDs bought a $100k+ sports car. When the revolution comes, he will be guillotined.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

I'm convinced that people don't actually grow up until they're working a full time job (or jobs) with no hope of doing something else, no end in sight, and no ability to call in sick constantly without consequences.

so you can be a grown up at 16 after dropping out, or not be one at 35 like my sister

I never grew up, so I got a gubberment job.

Also, you while I did K-JD, I had actual jobs (rather than interships) from 16 to 1L year every summer but one and often during the school year.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Some people (brace yourselves) work full time jobs and go to school at the same time.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
From the age of 15, the only times I didn't have a job were during 5 semesters of law school, and for the floundering months thereafter before I started practicing.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I worked as a pharmacy technician from 17 until I graduated from law school at 27. Full time or as close as I could manage.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I was always broke as gently caress and worked 40+ hours all through high school/college, the idea of summer vacation was laughable: nobody is going to hire you if you want to take four months off, plan on being around.

Also don't bring up the fact that all poor people did this regularly (or joined the military) and it was accepted to a millennial, they tend to freak the gently caress out about you triggering them because they really just need to focus on this one brutal socy class this semester.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I worked 50-60 hours while in law school. Practice meant I had more time off. :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Done - you have a job.

My friend was a SA at a major firm and her firm just decided at some point that they didn't need half of their summers, so she got cut with a good review.