Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm playing as Russia, it's 1550 and I am super behind in tech. This is bad, because my main enemies, Ottos and the Teutonic Order, are not, and after a period of rebuilding they slipped out of my truce rotation. I can hold off one of them and even make gains, but not both. What should I do to not suffer so much because of very slow institution spread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Tevery Best posted:

I'm playing as Russia, it's 1550 and I am super behind in tech. This is bad, because my main enemies, Ottos and the Teutonic Order, are not, and after a period of rebuilding they slipped out of my truce rotation. I can hold off one of them and even make gains, but not both. What should I do to not suffer so much because of very slow institution spread?

Develop for the institutions, if you have the DLC for it.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Morocco is the colonialism disabler

Also :staredog:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dang hello Kurland, Gaeldom, Bar, Corsica, Pisa, Livonia

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm the completely unlabeled migrating Wallachia.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's dumb that I can't join my colonial nation's defensive war. This is basically an attack on me!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm the completely unlabeled migrating Wallachia.

yo get this. that's austrian land

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, exactly. A system you can almost certainly ignore (like sailors and, mostly, corruption) is pure bloat

The only time I've ever had to take note of my sailors pool was when I first got access to navies as Aztec (and other techblocked/landlocked nations). It seems almost silly to me how they keep tweaking the numbers with Sailors because they still don't matter.

I get that it's supposed to be naval manpower, but what was it supposed to address, gameplay-wise? What was the thesis behind its creation and continued existence?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mr. Fowl posted:

The only time I've ever had to take note of my sailors pool was when I first got access to navies as Aztec (and other techblocked/landlocked nations). It seems almost silly to me how they keep tweaking the numbers with Sailors because they still don't matter.

I get that it's supposed to be naval manpower, but what was it supposed to address, gameplay-wise? What was the thesis behind its creation and continued existence?

The lack of other notable features in Mare Nostrum

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I can't figure out why my conquistador won't enter terra incognita. The TI is clearly land, the army isn't in exile and has nobody attached, there's no war, I can't enter manually or through the seven cities hunt.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

snoremac posted:

I can't figure out why my conquistador won't enter terra incognita. The TI is clearly land, the army isn't in exile and has nobody attached, there's no war, I can't enter manually or through the seven cities hunt.

Is it wasteland?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Failed a Golden Horde -> Graze achievement run. I'll never be able to do WCs or achievements that are basically WCs. The AI is a better blobber than me.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

No. He can't enter any TI.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm in South America if that matters. Despite switching the conquistador between armies and hiring a new one I still can't enter TI. My explorer isn't having any problems.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is your army exiled?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

No. I can't even walk from my colonies into adjoining TI. Maybe it's a bug?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Can you post a screenshot?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

snoremac posted:

No. I can't even walk from my colonies into adjoining TI. Maybe it's a bug?
Have you restarted your game (as in, turned it off and turned it back on)?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Have you restarted your game (as in, turned it off and turned it back on)?

Yep.

If I select the hunt for seven cities it says "exploring" for a moment but the unit doesn't move. This isn't showing the cursor, which has the red X.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

snoremac posted:

Yep.

If I select the hunt for seven cities it says "exploring" for a moment but the unit doesn't move. This isn't showing the cursor, which has the red X.
Those areas are wasteland, and it looks like you've fully explored South America so they have nowhere to go to search since I assume you don't have access to walk past Central America. It would be nice if the game actually told you this.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Poil posted:

Those areas are wasteland, and it looks like you've fully explored South America so they have nowhere to go to search since I assume you don't have access to walk past Central America. It would be nice if the game actually told you this.

Serves me right for not knowing my geography. Thanks.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Alright, think Its about time I started chowing down on those CN's in South Ameri-?

Hi again england? Guess you decided to move on down after I kicked out out of Canada. the question is why you even have the option.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Nations wanting your subjects' provinces is a real relationship killer. I saw my eternal friendship with Castile shoot to -200, and now my alliance with France feels like it's on a tightrope because their desire for four South American provinces (they are not even landed in or near SA) carries a -136 penalty. I think this alliance is the only thing stopping Castile from raining down on me (Portugal).

When nations consider war against you do they factor in the mass number of military/navy you and your allies have, or is it more complex than that? I figure that if I lose the French alliance I might ally with a bunch of the little European states, who are the only ones who'll accept it. A few of them together might make me look daunting in sheer numbers.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 6, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Militaristic AI leaders are jerks. More than once a new monarch in an allied nation decided our decades-old alliance wasn't worth keeping, because some of our provinces were touching.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Tevery Best posted:

I'm in the middle of a Russia run right now, at one point I was up to about 85% tech penalty between colonialism and printing press and it was painful. I didn't develop for them, waited for natural spread and took loans to embrace, and for quite a long time my economy was in the shitter from shitloads of debt and corruption from being behind in diplo tech, but I pulled out of it, now it's the middle of the 1600s, I'm sitting on 90 absolutism, my economy is booming, colonizing Alaska, Prussia and Brandenburg are marches, and I'm dunking on the Ottomans and Ming as I expand to the Soviet/Warsaw Pact borders. Keep at it.

E: Also, how'd you end up at war with the Ottos so early? I made it a point to vassalize the Teutons early in the 1400s, between my first and second wars with Poland-Lithuania, but I left the Ottos alone until the early 1600s, when I was able to call France in against them... I thought they were in the middle of Janissary Decadence when I DOW'd but they totally weren't, and that first war was painful :v:

Also something funny I noticed, new to the dynamic cultural province names while colonizing Alaska as Russia- I grew up in Sitka, and the province adjacent to Sitka is called "Novoarkhangelsk", but Novo Arkhangelsk was the Russian name for the city of Sitka :v: The location of the port in the province of Sitka isn't in the right spot, but at least it's in the correct province...

Azuren fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 6, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Azuren posted:

E: Also, how'd you end up at war with the Ottos so early? I made it a point to vassalize the Teutons early in the 1400s, between my first and second wars with Poland-Lithuania, but I left the Ottos alone until the early 1600s, when I was able to call France in against them... I thought they were in the middle of Janissary Decadence when I DOW'd but they totally weren't, and that first war was painful :v:

Poland got destroyed super early into the game and the Teutons ate all their turf. I stole almost all of Lithuania, but without the Commonwealth as a buffer the Ottomans just pushed all the way to Kamenets. Meanwhile, I expanded south to reach the Caucasus, and whoops.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I watched some of Arumba's MEIOU stream, that mod is like weaponized autism...

So of course I'm going to try the new version when it comes out :eng99:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Got quickly tired of Austria, the HRE sucks. I started a game with france, I ate catalonia from Aragon and made them release sardinia but then castile got the iberian wedding.. But due to me marrying them before, a de valois is on the throne with no heir :getin: instantly broken my alliance with them (they would've done it anyway) and 2 years away from the end of the truce they're still heirless. I claimed the throne, and the Ottomans are on board to join the war on my side while they have only naples, a much reduced Aragon and Portugal... I might just pull it off

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

IAmThatIs posted:

So I watched some of Arumba's MEIOU stream, that mod is like weaponized autism...

So of course I'm going to try the new version when it comes out :eng99:

Watch DDRjakes sneak preview stream of it, he sounds so incredibly happy about everything in it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I know it's a limitation of how much you can mod and there's not really any way around it, but I really hate how so many huge mods these days use giant strings of events to replicate a mechanic. Like in Meiou, all the education stuff for instance is put into this compendium style thing, and if you go deep into it you have to flip back through fifty different "back, thank you" popups again to get out of it and so on.

I was kinda interested in trying out the 2.0 version but it seems like half the interesting new mechanics are locked behind that stuff, it's so cumbersome.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.
This might seem like a dumb newbie question, but how do I make colonies? I seem to colonize them and they become cores.

I have the following expansions so far.

Art of War
Res Publica
Conquest of Paradise
Wealth of Nations
Common Sense

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
If you mean colonial nations, they need to be in the new world and consist of five provinces in one colonial region.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I haven't played much on this most recent patch but man the diplo relations slot change is really terrible and game breaking especially for smaller nations and in Europe. Surprised it hasn't been hot fixed.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Playing again after not playing for many a year.. (Trying Poland)

I presume I need to chip away at TO slowly, letting AE decay down? Only taking a few provinces at a time? Seems super slow. Anything I can do to speed things up?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

How many of those provinces do you have a claim on, and what was your CB?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

TTBF posted:

How many of those provinces do you have a claim on, and what was your CB?

It says "conquest" right there. Given the number, it's probably one claim and trying to eat all/most of the teutons at once.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Yami Fenrir posted:

It says "conquest" right there. Given the number, it's probably one claim and trying to eat all/most of the teutons at once.

Yeah. Should I work on having a bunch of claims before attacking?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

alcaras posted:

Yeah. Should I work on having a bunch of claims before attacking?

It lowers the aggressive expansion, and also makes it so the claims that you take do not cost dip power ( aka Unjustified Demands).

If you can, you should, but it's not entirely necessary. But really, eating nations piecemeal is usually better than in one go. What you can do is completely block off provinces from anybody else for later eating - as long as they don't already have claims/cores on them, they'll be unable to declare war for them.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As Poland for the first war with the Teutons in particular it can be useful to pass some stuff on to Lithuania that'll eventually become yours anyway. They're the ones who get the AE for that after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

As Poland for the first war with the Teutons in particular it can be useful to pass some stuff on to Lithuania that'll eventually become yours anyway. They're the ones who get the AE for that after all.

important to remember that poland needs danzig and marienburg and lithuania needs less than 40 provinces

• Locked thread