Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

The League of Merchants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Ullama, as faith must be spread, even up to the highest mountaintops.

The llama is my light in this dark time

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

The League of Crypto-Ulama Merchants

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Christianity has had its claws in Iberia for too long. It is time we rectify that.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

New Taifas

We've gotta secure our position on the continent before we look to the west.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

New Taifas

The light of Islam in the west must be defended!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

New Taifas

At least for now we need to defend our position on the peninsula and protect against the people of the cross.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

The Ulama Our Faith Guards the peoples of our land, it guards us from hell, from the barbarism of the men of the cross, and from the worst desire of the nobility. We must do all we can to encourage the spread of the one true faith to all people on Allah's earth.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The League of Merchants, explore, expand, exploit and exterminate.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

League of Merchants

The endless wars of the Old Taifa burned our fields and our ports. The Jihad after Jihad, sponsored by the Ulama sent thousands of our bravest to die on the seas to Filastin.

Enough. We have no quarrel with the Northern kingdoms, nor should we build castles for men that do not work. We must do labour, and we must do so on the seas.

Besides, I hear there are islands west of the Canarias that will make us rich enough to buy Aragon outright.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

New Taifas until we secure the peninsula.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Al Andalus shall become a beacon to Allah's glory!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

New Taifas

Al-Andalus will become a beacon to Christ's folly! Let the Pyrenees stand as the first barrier to the Christian World, then push the barrier back to the Rhine!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 6, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peace through power. Power through having more silver than everyone else.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Learned men should aid our little Sultan to ensure that the people of Al-Andalus feel safe under the light of God.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

New Taifas

If we want silver, let us acquire more dhimmis for the jizya!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

The age of holy wars is faded. We should focus on development.

Purplebeard
Feb 27, 2014
League of Merchants

Prince Orcus
Mar 1, 2016

All is as Allah wills it, and with the Ulama as our guide, we cannot fail.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
QUOTE IS NOT EDIT

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

The League of Merchants

Dinars Rule Everything Around Me

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ulama

I want to see someone do a Paradox campaign Tall instead of Wide.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
First Meeting of the Majlis, cont’d.

The New Taifas have emerged as the first Ruling Faction, and will thus determine the course taken by the Sultanate over the next few years. An important thing to note is that members of the Majlis cannot change factions until the next Meeting, which will occur upon the death of the current Sultan.

Factions

The New Taifas

The Taifas advocate for:
- Expansion of the standing army, rather than the navy.
- Rapid territorial expansion, especially on the Iberian Peninsula.
- Constructing Army and Defense buildings.

Effects: Bonus to army morale, larger army force limit, significantly smaller naval force limit, greater AE impact.

33, PurpleXVI, ZearothK, MuteAllison, Chief Savage Man, Crazycryodude, Lord Cyrahzax, punched my v-card at camp, sheep-dodger, paragon1, theblastizard, Hitlers Gay Secret, Affi, tunapirate, Rodyle, Tendronai, Mikl, catlord, Sampatrick, ShootaBoy, Captain Oblivious, GSD, ThatBasqueGuy, Snipee, Flavius Belisarius, paragon1, LJN92, Bloody Pom, NewMars, Dikkfor, Aeromancia, Viola the Mad, Luhood, inscrutable horse.

The Ulama

The Ulama advocate for:
- Religious conversion of non-Muslim provinces.
- A focus on increasing development within Al Andalus.
- Avoiding war with same-religion countries, and aiding them against Christian powers.
- Constructing Taxation and Production buildings.

Effects: Higher missionary strength, cheaper buildings, more tolerance of the true faith, less tolerance of heathens.

15, Mountaineer, Duey, CommissarMega, Zakrelo, Frionnel, AJ_Impy, BravestOfTheLamps, Erwin the German, Sinner Sandwich, Ralepozozaxe, Slaan, LordGugs, devildragon777, Chatrapati, Prince Orcus, Veryslightlymad.

The League of Merchants

The Merchants advocate for:
- A focus on trade and maximising income above all else.
- Avoiding costly wars.
- Constructing larger navies, both trade fleets and war navies.
- Exploration and overseas expansion.
- Constructing Trade and Navy buildings.

Effects: Bonus to naval force limit, boost to trade power, significantly smaller army force limit.

24, GunnerJ, Yvonmukluk, Dick Trauma, Technowolf, HannibalBarca, Archaeology Hat, Soup du Jour, Samovar, RZApublican, Ikasuhito, HailedUser, Lynneth, HiHo ChiRho, KYOON GRIFFEY JR, Whit27, the JJ, Rubix Squid, TildeATH, Talas, Kayten, The Lone Badger, Dance Officer, Purplebeard, Invader Zym.

---

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power is divided between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: The New Taifas
Permitted Factions: The Ulama, the League of Merchants
Rivals: none
Alliances: none
Subjects: none

---

The Taifas currently have a majority in the Majlis, however this does not mean they alone will determine the future that Al Andalus takes. Smaller factions will be able to put forth their own proposals via policies, as described below.

Policies

Between updates, factions may submit Policies, which is essentially a way for minority factions to influence the direction taken in the next update. Policies generally include most things that I can do in-game, so they can range from declaring war and forming alliances to raising development and sabotaging reputation.

Each faction may submit one policy, so members within a faction can either write up their own policy or declare their support an already-submitted policy, and the one with the most supporters will be carried out in the next update.

The current Ruling Faction (faction with the most members) will be able to submit one extra policy, for a total of two.

Policies are only valid for the length of a single update, after which they become void, even if they go unfulfilled. New policies must therefore be submitted between updates.

If two different policies conflict, the Sultan will pick between them, so it in the interest of factions to avoid submitting clashing policies.

Note: Some things cannot be submitted as policies, and can only be done if the right Ruling Faction is in power. For example, I will only construct manpower buildings when the Taifas are in power, I will only convert provinces when the Ulama are in power, and I will only colonise if the Merchants are in power. If unsure whether something qualifies as a policy, just say so and I’ll let you know.

Example:

I, x of the Taifas, propose that we declare war on England, with the intention of capturing London and severing their alliances.
I, x of the Ulama, propose that we raise the development of Cadiz up to 30 development, as soon as possible.
I, x of the League of Merchants, propose that we rival and embargo England, thus diminishing their trade power in the English Channel node.

The Sultan (assuming he's a capable monarch, and not a 0/0/0) currently retains the right to veto any policy he either dislikes or feels threatened by. Especially talented sultans may even go beyond this, depending on their personality.

---

For now, I'm just going to play according to the Ruling Faction and influential policies. Depending on how things go though, I may add a few extra things that can be determined by the Majlis in the future, like Laws and government changes.

I’ll allow for about 12 hours for policies to be submitted and voted on, after which I’ll sit down and (finally) play the first actual update.

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Though we control the gateway to the Great Ocean, we must secure our fortunes within the Mediterranean itself. We must establish a naval presence to protect our Trade Interests, particularly around our enclave on Sardinia and in Genoa.

Therefore, I, HailedUser of the League of Merchants propose using privateers to extract wealth from Mediterranean nations, in particular the Genoese.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

I, Al-rusim khataan taht-Impy of the Ulama, propose that we purge all infidel and apostate individuals and nations from the peninsula. As we are not in power, let us work with our New Taifa brothers and start with those to our north rather than those within our borders.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 7, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

HailedUser posted:

Though we control the gateway to the Great Ocean, we must secure our fortunes within the Mediterranean itself. We must establish a naval presence to protect our Trade Interests, particularly around our enclave on Sardinia and in Genoa.

Therefore, I, HailedUser of the League of Merchants propose using privateers to extract wealth from Mediterranean nations, in particular the Genoese.

I, Dance Officer, esteemed member of the League of Merchants wholeheartedly support this proposal

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 6, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the glorious and unopposable Taifas, propose that we focus our efforts in annexation on the three westernmost Christian kingdoms of Iberia: Portugal, Galicia and Leon.

These realms are the weakest of our neighbors and the most vulnerable to direct military force: we must crush them before greater Christian kingdoms, France especially, decide to interfere with them. Every Christian king in Iberia is threat and a wild card- it's intolerable!

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Iberia is ours by right but Portugal should fall first. Controlling Sevillan trade will let us dominate the rest of Iberia with ease.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the glorious and unopposable Taifas, propose that we focus our efforts in annexation on the three westernmost Christian kingdoms of Iberia: Portugal, Galicia and Leon.

These realms are the weakest of our neighbors and the most vulnerable to direct military force: we must crush them before greater Christian kingdoms, France especially, decide to interfere with them. Every Christian king in Iberia is threat and a wild card- it's intolerable!

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, wholeheartedly support the al-Cyrahzax family in this suggestion!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
These merchant swine should have no say in the majis!

Ban the merchant faction and all its members!

/Glorious new taifa

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Affi posted:

These merchant swine should have no say in the majis!

Ban the merchant faction and all its members!

/Glorious new taifa

After drunkenly attempting to stab one of the merchants present at the assembly, Wali Affi is dragged out of the hall by a pair of guardsmen, and thrown into the oubliette to await just punishment for his crimes.

Don't ban factions guys.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
We need an Oubliette Faction icon.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I'm down with this. A clean and pretty border between Islam and Christendom is the most important thing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

TildeATH posted:

We need an Oubliette Faction icon.

Oubliette faction: Affi

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Only when the Christians are driven off the Iberian peninsula can the kingdom of Andalus turn its attention to projects of peace and faith. As long as the kingdom's enemies are at our borders, we can't afford to let down our guard. drat straight I'm supporting this policy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tendronai posted:

Iberia is ours by right but Portugal should fall first. Controlling Sevillan trade will let us dominate the rest of Iberia with ease.

I agree, not to control Sevillan trade, but because gently caress Portugal. They have been a thorn in our side for far too long. Make Morcar's bones into a little cat tree.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm down with this. A clean and pretty border between Islam and Christendom is the most important thing.

As long as that border goes along the Rhine I'm game!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I agree with this policy. It will have the benefit of allowing us to more easily contain Aragon, who we should not immediately seek a conflict with until we have a countermeasure for their French backers.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I entirely support this, and upon hopefully expanding our territory by the next update, I am eager to switch to the Ulama faction for some conversion policies. Let's make Iberia Muslim again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I support this motion provided that it's a start. All of Iberia, from the Ocean to the Pyrenees, must be Andalusian.