Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I didn't get a call back about working for HP on the NMCI contract but I did get picked up for a position at Bangor. The pay for bad IT is outrageous.

Thanks Navy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

The greatest threat to American naval operations is NMCI.

I've been trying for a while to think of a snarky sarcastic counter-proposal for something like contract maintenance or the like, but I honestly can't. It's NMCI, absolutely. I'm not even going to get into all the myriad ways that NMCI is awful, just... gently caress NMCI. Forever.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Godholio posted:

I still get multiple emails daily from NMCI telling me that poo poo doesn't work and there's no estimate on when service will be restored.

I am in class with people that work for NMCI and this isn't surprising. I am surprised that our network works at all.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seqenenra posted:

I am in class with people that work for NMCI and this isn't surprising. I am surprised that our network works at all.

Did the rest of you Reservists get your drill pushed back? Apparently we ran out of funding.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
IRR chit dropped. The command here seems super incredulous about it getting approved. I guess worst case I get a General under honorable discharge.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

LingcodKilla posted:

Did the rest of you Reservists get your drill pushed back? Apparently we ran out of funding.

No reservists in my class. Just active duty and other civilians. All we had to do was setup an exchange server and 2 people (actual IT people) managed to somehow destroy their computers.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Seqenenra posted:

All we had to do was setup an exchange server and 2 people (actual IT people) managed to somehow destroy their computers.

I uhh. Whut?
I thought only my wife has the power of spontaneously exploding technology.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PneumonicBook posted:

IRR chit dropped. The command here seems super incredulous about it getting approved. I guess worst case I get a General under honorable discharge.

Why would you not get a regular honorable?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ded posted:

Why would you not get a regular honorable?

If the chit gets denied and I just stop showing up its an admin Sep, general under honorable conditions.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2017

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

LingcodKilla posted:

Pushed back 2 weeks. Speaking of discharges, would a hypothetical OTH discharge "override" the honorable discharge from AD on one's DD214 or how does that work? Reserves is still a complete mystery to me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gray Matter posted:

Pushed back 2 weeks. Speaking of discharges, would a hypothetical OTH discharge "override" the honorable discharge from AD on one's DD214 or how does that work? Reserves is still a complete mystery to me.

No idea. I'm fairly useless with admin stuff.

Found out my reschedule is not until September but there will be some ADT available if I dont mind going to Hawaii that will cover it.

Dont mind if I do... But of course show me the orders first.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Gray Matter posted:

No, once you get an honorable by either reenlisting or being discharged or going to the reserved you're good to go

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I heard the reserves are not taking people (specifically SWO officers) until the next fiscal year. Is that true? My friend who is getting out at the same time as me asked about going to SELRES and they said they're out of spots and he's gonna have to wait or if he really wants to be in it then drill without pay. He said "lol kthx."

Seems like funding is an actual issue in the reserves.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

I heard the reserves are not taking people (specifically SWO officers) until the next fiscal year. Is that true? My friend who is getting out at the same time as me asked about going to SELRES and they said they're out of spots and he's gonna have to wait or if he really wants to be in it then drill without pay. He said "lol kthx."

Seems like funding is an actual issue in the reserves.

It's is. People's at orders are getting cancelled left and right, forcing them to do at locally. This might be part for the course though, I've only been in the reserves for a year.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

It's is. People's at orders are getting cancelled left and right, forcing them to do at locally. This might be part for the course though, I've only been in the reserves for a year.

No, this is a problem that's been getting worse every year. Admittedly, I've only been reserves for five years, but it's bad now. First few ATs, I got 21 days AT, 7 days IDTT no problem. Then 21 AT was a problem, so 14AT, 14 IDTT (this is better). This year, it was beg and plead for 28 days of ANYTHING, and accept 14 AT and 7 EAT and I had better like it. IDTT is right out. People with 4th quarter ATs are sucking hard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've been trying for a while to think of a snarky sarcastic counter-proposal for something like contract maintenance or the like, but I honestly can't. It's NMCI, absolutely. I'm not even going to get into all the myriad ways that NMCI is awful, just... gently caress NMCI. Forever.

:lol: I actually got an email to fill out a survey on their service today. Nobody will ever read it, but it was fun. My final sentence was "It's the 21st century, maybe we should act like it."

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Wasn't losing the contract why that NMCI guy went ballistic in JBAB 4.5 years ago and took a gun to the place?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vriess posted:

Wasn't losing the contract why that NMCI guy went ballistic in JBAB 4.5 years ago and took a gun to the place?

Guess he really didnt like interviewing.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Did funding for posting dry up or do all you reservists post here only after you get paid?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The reserves owes me about 15k right now. Goddamn auditing error from crossing over fiscal years with my c school.

Then I hosed up my AT paper work by uploading the wrong version of my goddamn itinerary (without the $ in one corner) so they have delayed my $ by two weeks + whenever they pick it up again. $5k

So yeah I'm waiting on 20k or so.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Well that blows. We've got a pile of people who aren't getting paid for a det that happened right over the budget bill nonsense. I know our people love working for IOUs.

The active duty side managed to underpay me for two years and I only caught it when I saw a negative number show up on an les and I stopped getting paid completely.

They decided to claw back $30k in OHA and cola because one idiot changed my country code when she caught a 'mistake'. She didn't realize that postal abbreviations​ and the pay codes don't always match up. In the end I went over everything with a fine tooth comb and found out all those Page 2 updates I sent when I got married and spawned had been piling up on some admin desk.

The Navy ended up paying me $27k in back OHA and cola, instead of literally paying me $0.00 for months on end for that imaginary $30k overpayment.

Fun fact though: when you get a random rural area of China on your les, DIA calls all sorts of people to ask why you were there.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I have less than a month left. Still had to do a midterm. Put down "get a dog" as one of my goals.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

I have less than a month left. Still had to do a midterm. Put down "get a dog" as one of my goals.

I have to do midterm counseling as well. I'm not as close as you are​ to getting out but it will be my last regular FITREP. Supposed to list 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. Have to figure out what my comedy options are.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I have to do midterm counseling as well. I'm not as close as you are​ to getting out but it will be my last regular FITREP. Supposed to list 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. Have to figure out what my comedy options are.

"Woke up my roommate with the smell of my flatulence immediately after taco Tuesday"

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sir Lucius posted:

A guy who was getting out put "Get closer to Jesus" down on his.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Nothing personal, but I'd way rather have a dog than find Jesus.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Blackchamber posted:

A guy who was getting out put "Get closer to Jesus" down on his.

I thought DADT got repealed.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Started terminal leave yesterday.

Doesn't feel any different than regular leave but then I realize I will never go underway again. Still not registering yet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah it's the same as leave you just don't check in at the end

Don't go get a DUI or something equally as dumb

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

Doesn't feel any different than regular leave but then I realize I will never go underway again. Still not registering yet.

You can go underway again whenever you want. Just two years ago I went on a camping trip and a bear ate half the food we had packed. Consequently our day of rest around a lake was canceled, and no one had actual toilet paper until we made it back to Aspen.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You can go underway again whenever you want. Just two years ago I went on a camping trip and a bear ate half the food we had packed. Consequently our day of rest around a lake was canceled, and no one had actual toilet paper until we made it back to Aspen.

Did you eat the shitter paper?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

SMOKE WEED

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Want to but want to keep options open later for lifestyle poly. :/

I have no desire to look for a job and don't want to go to school full time. Feeling pretty burnt out. Going traveling in Asia for about two months, I figure after two months of loving off and spending money I will get my motivation back.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

orange juche posted:

Did you eat the shitter paper?

I survived little buddy. Don't try to make me relive that deployment.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

Want to but want to keep options open later for lifestyle poly. :/

I have no desire to look for a job and don't want to go to school full time. Feeling pretty burnt out. Going traveling in Asia for about two months, I figure after two months of loving off and spending money I will get my motivation back.

What was your rate? You could possibly make fat stacks of contract cash.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

Noble SWO.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sir Lucius posted:

He's a stupid goddamn officer

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Next time try enlisting with a degree I guess.

Anything cyber related in the dc area should get you six figures.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-pedestrians-reportedly-struck-car-times-square/story?id=47489279

"

quote:

A driver plowed into a crowd in New York's Times Square midday Thursday, killing an 18-year-old woman and injuring 22 others, police said.

The motorist, a Navy veteran, tried to flee the scene, according to police, but was tackled by a traffic agent.

quote:

Rojas has had multiple arrests, including two for driving while intoxicated, police said.

Which one of you was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

people like that should be stomped to death at the scene of the crime