Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

someone w experience please describe the differences between chinese hot pot, japanese nabe and korean chige thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Hot pot is bad for drinking because it doesn't line your stomach, and you end up half cut because you've spent 30 minutes watching noodles and raw meat boil.

Uigher food is the way to go for drinking. Get one of those using bread as a plate pizza for the food with the meat and peppers and onions cut on top and you're there.

Hot pot is some bullshit too long weak rear end meal for boring people waiting to stave off the inevitable ktv trip where they sing the same songs.

Hai de lao hotpot has fantastic service tho, and are a bright shining light of service in the Chinese restaurant world.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

peanut posted:

someone w experience please describe the differences between chinese hot pot, japanese nabe and korean chige thx

Chinese hot pots are all different types of broths that you boil food in and then eat the food. Most of them you don't eat the broth. Nabe is more of a stew where you eat the whole thing. Jjigae is a soup or stew that is cooked in the kitchen and brought out, you don't put anything in it. Sometimes it's cooked at the table.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"Ruth Lee, a hostess at a Chinese restaurant, flies a Chinese flag so she isn’t mistaken for Japanese when she sunbathes on her days off in Miami, in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec. 15, 1941"

And Chinese-Americans passed out pins saying they were Chinese so laowai wouldn't mistake them for Ribenese.

I bet we could put this one a t-shirt and sell it to tourists.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

"Ruth Lee, a hostess at a Chinese restaurant, flies a Chinese flag so she isn’t mistaken for Japanese when she sunbathes on her days off in Miami, in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec. 15, 1941"

And Chinese-Americans passed out pins saying they were Chinese so laowai wouldn't mistake them for Ribenese.

I bet we could put this one a t-shirt and sell it to tourists.

Seeing that poo poo makes me angry. People are so loving stupid (not the people trying to defend themselves from "mob justice").

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

I'm disappointed in you :colbert:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm fine with hot pot like once a year, otherwise it's a waste of my loving time

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm fine with hot pot like once a year, otherwise it's a waste of my loving time
Mainlanders love it. A critical thinker will see that 99% of what Mainlanders enjoy is garbage, so...

nickmeister posted:

Seeing that poo poo makes me angry. People are so loving stupid (not the people trying to defend themselves from "mob justice").
Redneck: "loving towelhead Sad-dam!!"
Sikh: "Sir, I am not Muslim."
Redneck: "Whatever, Moohamid! Go back to Riyadh!"
Sikh: "I am from India, and I am not a Muslim."
Redneck: "Fuckin intolerant human being!"
*Attacks and injures/kills the poor Sikh gentleman*

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Haier posted:

A chinese woman, sunbathing? :confused:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

hakimashou posted:

The whole BRICs inanity was hilarious.

It took what, a couple years to completely crash and burn?

Brazil- just lol.
Russia - RIP
India - lol
China - lololol

South Africa

Has a booming rural population, a corrupt single-party political system unwilling/able to do anything to speed growth so the population bomb isn't catastrophic, is set to lose about 50% of its agricultural yield to global warming in the medium to long term future. What could go wrong?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

peak debt posted:

An American woman, actually.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

peak debt posted:

Actually a Japanese spy.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

Mainlanders love it. A critical thinker will see that 99% of what Mainlanders enjoy is garbage, so...

You really can go gently caress yourself for saying that

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Haier posted:

is this why they keep flocking to your apartment

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

:iceburn:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Jeoh posted:

:drat:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I honest to God stared at peanut brittle that someone brought to work for a good 5 to 10 mins, so thanks Haier.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Jeoh posted:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's cute how you guys get so touchy over hotpot.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
You should see how nerdy idiots get over pho in other threads... :rolleyes:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

It's cute how you guys get so touchy over hotpot.
For real. It's just soup comprised of heavy metals and pesticides.

Jeoh posted:

Someone in this thread called me a raccoon before.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Jeoh posted:

From what he's posted here it doesn't seem that most women actually enjoy sex with him sooooo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Best Hot Pot is Hunan where the whole bowl is covered in red chilis and none of those bullshit Sichuan peppers.

Unfortunately its really bad meal if you plan to start drinking heavily since youre likely to give up and start drinking long before you have food ready to eat and its mot super harty.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haier posted:

Mouth-scalding factor: 9/10
Flavor: 5/10
Time wasting factor: 10/10
"I just want to eat, hurry the gently caress up and cook you stupid loving noodle" factor: 10/10
Shocked Chinese stare factor: 10/10
Would I ever try it again?: 1/10

My girlfriend loves hot pot. And there's so much Chinese immigration to Canada that there's 3 hot pot restaurants in this city, so I can't avoid it. I don't get it. The meats are these thinly sliced things that don't have much flavor, and the vegetables are just... water cooked vegetables. But it ends up being really expensive. More than a sushi buffet.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Good hot pot can be nice, but you need good company and PATIENCE. Patience is a motherfucking VIRTUE you savages.

Of course bad hot pot is diarrhoea in, diarrhoea out.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
sorry haier but a certain vlogger has already written the definitive hot pot story

quote:

I have seen some pretty bad stuff on here, but here’s my contribution.

I am a university English professor in Inner Mongolia, China. I worked in Taiwan last year, and met a lovely girl on a train. We hit it off over the 20 minute train ride, and I asked her if she was free for dinner. We arranged to meet at a swanky hot pot restaurant the next evening.

Now for the uninitiated, hot pot is a popular Asian dish where one dips raw pieces of meat, vegetables, and other tasty morsels into a scalding hot metal bowl of oil and spicy broth. It is usually heated by hot plate, and sometimes by a live flame.

It took 30 minutes for the food to arrive, and I had gotten to know her even better by that point. Turns out she was miserably depressed, and worked far from her family in an animal testing facility. Her job was to inject chemicals into the bones of rabbits, and monitor their progress. Every rabbit had to be disposed of, so it was her job to kill them when testing was finished. She also told stories of having to chase and kill pigs, and she said that every time she had to do it, she felt she would become used to it, but she cried for hours every night after work. She was a devout Christian (in some ways), and she felt that her work was just too cruel/immoral to handle. She had tried many other jobs before, but it was the only way she could make enough money (on top of government aid) to support her down syndrome brother, who her dead beat parents had abandoned years ago.

Now, I had already had 2 beers, trying to wash away the pain of the conversation. I admit, I was too weak for this kind of baggage, so I excused myself for a piss, and tried to craft a get away plan. When I was pissing, I heard a large crash, a scream, and wondered what had happened. After I came out, I saw her on the floor, the server pouring water all over her back and hair, which were both on fire. The server had tripped, and the boiling oil/broth, as well as the flammable gel stuff that was fueling the pot, had spilled over her entire rear end, back, and hair. When we got the flames out, we waited 5 minutes for an ambulance, but it wasn’t coming, so I had her sit face to face with me on my motorcycle as I drove her to the emergency room.

The doctor came out and told me she had 3rd degree burns all over her back, and there would be definite scarring. I waited for about 6 hours with her, holding her hand as she slept off the shock, and stayed with her as they repeatedly changed her bandages. A little while later, the boss of the restaurant showed up. She was an attractive woman in her 30s, and she was carrying paperwork. She asked me to leave so that she could talk settlement with my date. I told her that she would be getting a lawyer, and that she had no business trying to communicate with her at the present time. She insisted that I leave, but I didn’t. She then proceeded to try to settle for 3000 NT (about $100 US), while my date shook with pain. She just wanted her to go away, so she said “whatever.” I became very angry and shouted at the woman to leave. As soon as the security guards heard me swearing in Chinese, they took me outside and made me wait there for a half an hour. When everything was done, the woman got her to settle, and my date was crying at the loss. She told me that the woman berated her until she finally was too weak to argue. I was so angry, sad, and confused, that I told her I would stay with her until everything was over.

The next day, the doctors said that she needed to go home, change her bandages, apply some stuff on her skin, and rest for about a week, returning to the hospital if anything happened/ for testing.

I took a few days off of work, and I said that she could stay with me, and that I would take care of her. After one night at my house, she was still in very much pain, but kept asking me to lay with her and hold her. She cried constantly. Eventually, she said that she wanted to “show me” how much it meant to her that I was taking care of her, and asked me to “make love to her gently.” I was really not in the mood, and I told her that it wasn’t a good idea, but she said the numbing agent on her back made everything OK. Reluctantly, I agreed.

I did what she said, but after about 1 minute, I smelled something strange… All of the blisters on her back had finally burst and soaked through the bandages, staining my blankets with putrid pus. I gagged, and moved her to change the bed. She was too embarrassed to speak, and she just rolled over in the other bed and cried.

After another couple days, she asked me to take her back to the restaurant, where she proceeded to talk to the server and the boss. She asked me to wait outside, and when she came back, she told me that she forgave them both, and that Jesus would have done the same…

I moved away from Taiwan a couple weeks later, and we don’t really keep in touch anymore, but my parents and my friends always ask me, “how’s burn girl doing?”

God it feels good to write all that down! Sorry for the epic length. But you now know the story of “Burn Girl”.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hey a hot pot story I bet this will be gr

:yikes:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

One thing is common with expats.

They'll gently caress anything in any circumstances

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I typed that fast and lovely upfront for some cancer walk thing and my wife is glaring

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BCR posted:

Uigher food is the way to go for drinking.

Or just in general. Halal is the way to go in China, since at least some attention was paid to hygiene.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Man, Haier. You really need to step up your game, dude. I bet that English professor has probably been with a fraction of the girls you have and yet his story trumps anything I've read of yours.

As an aside, stories like that and all the other BUSINESS IN CHINA stories are a really good primer in why unfettered capitalism is basically the most evil thing one can imagine. Like according to ding-a-ling libertarians, restaurants giving people diarrhea and causing life changing injuries should just completely ruin them but here we are. All you have to do is yell at someone long enough and any liability will go away when proper consumer protection laws are not in place. "Yes it was technically our fault that someone tripped and got scalding hot oil on you but WHY WERE YOU THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE, HUH? Just sign this piece of paper and this will all be over." Also whenever I've dated a girl in Japan and it came out they were a "devout Christian" I've always found a way to end it soon after and I've never regretted it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Dating a devout *anything* is a terrible idea unless you also subscribe to that particular strain of madness. Christian, Buddhist, vegan, yoga, Crossfit, anime, racial supremacy etc etc

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah but devout Christians in Japan are usually from South America or the Philippines and live with their parents. Even if they're impressionable and maybe open to fuckin' they still have to go home to two religious weirdos at the end of the day.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
That hot pot story is likely bullshit anyway. Something like that there would be new stories and more attention. Also no ambulance? Taiwan has a pretty good medical system from my understanding.

Edit: someone post the source.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 6, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I've gotten food poisoning literally every time I've had hot pot, both in China and the US. Which is probably at least a dozen times. gently caress hot pot.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've gotten food poisoning literally every time I've had hot pot, both in China and the US. Which is probably at least a dozen times. gently caress hot pot.

Cook your food longer.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.chinasmack.com/chinese-girl-engulfed-in-flames-at-yiwu-barbeque-restaurant

'Memba this?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's deleted now since the author has a popular youtube channel but here's the source courtesy of archive.org.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

LimburgLimbo posted:

That hot pot story is likely bullshit anyway. Something like that there would be new stories and more attention. Also no ambulance? Taiwan has a pretty good medical system from my understanding.

It really sounded more like a story about China than Taiwan.

• Locked thread