Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

parallelodad posted:

The average rating for the show is surprisingly low at three stars. I would think mainly fans would be watching and rating it.

What you see on Netflix before you rate a show or a movie is not its average rating, but a guess how you would rate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Jet Jaguar posted:

I really like Catalina Caper but it also was incredibly hard to get as a trade back in the day, I think the rights expired very shortly after the episode aired. And it contains the immortal line, "There's a promising young artist hopped up on goofballs" when Little Richard is moseying through "At The Party."

Went to see the Mads riffing tonight. They dealt with a ton of technical difficulties, but they were introduced by the actress who played Debbie in Manos, whi evidently lives near Portland. She told a couple of fun stories, I guess she has a book about the experience.

Catalina Caper was the first episode I saw back in the day so its always got a special place in MST3K lore for me, and anyone who doesn't think Little Richard "hopped up on goofballs" is funny needs to get a new sense of humor. Plus, "I can't siiiiiiinnnnggggg, I can't siiiiinnnnnnggggggg" and Creepy Girl make it a classic.

Tikifire fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 6, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ringu0 posted:

What you see on Netflix before you rate a show or a movie is not its average rating, but a guess how you would rate it.

Well then how come all these power rangers shows are rated so low? Their guessing algorithm is terrible

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 6, 2017

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I don't care what anyone says, Carnival Magic is hilarious and a good MST3k.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How are you guys still seeing the stars? I thought it changed to the thumbs/percentages for everyone last month?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I'll definitely rewatch it at some point, it was just putting me to sleep when I tried watching it originally. But then, there's always an episode or two per MST3K season that don't quite do it for me, so nothing new there. :)

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Agreed. So boring while still making me interested in the story because it was so weird. I think my favorite thing was the wooden acting of the "evil doctor" at the end of the movie.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

How are you guys still seeing the stars? I thought it changed to the thumbs/percentages for everyone last month?

Device dependent. My Blu-Ray shows stars and the interface hasn't been updated in six years (and sucks).

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Where is the kickstarter for More Carnival Magic?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I was totally convinced that the chimp was the guy's dead kid through some sort of, let us say, 'Carnival Magic'. But nope, just a regular everyday talking chimp.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I doubt the star rating is that important when deciding on renewals anyway. The relevant metric is most likely number of views.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I doubt the star rating is that important when deciding on renewals anyway. The relevant metric is most likely number of views.

Yep, plenty of trash gets renewed because of eyeballs. Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous 6, for example, was panned by everyone under the sun, but it still holds the record for the most views within a 30-day span of any movie in Netflix's history. The number-two spot belongs to The Do-Over, and Sandy Wexler will likely knock it off its perch. So even though the movies are unbelievably terrible, Netflix still extended Sandler's deal to cover eight movies. If people watch something, they'll fork out the money for it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's sort of impossible to tell. Netflix may also be at the point where they have a few prestige shows that aren't seeing as many views as their other shows but are seeing glowing reviews from critics that they want to keep around. I really wonder how they feel about something like Iron First, that probably got a ton of views but was almost universally panned. Are they trying to establish an identity or is it "Whatever the hell will generate subscriptions"?

Whatever the case, it sort of feels like MST3K is a no-brainer. It's cheap to make, Joel (or someone working for him) is weirdly good at doing the show's promotion with a fairly multi-tiered plan, it gets good reviews, has nostalgia value, is unique, and has to be generating at least decent view numbers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

It's sort of impossible to tell. Netflix may also be at the point where they have a few prestige shows that aren't seeing as many views as their other shows but are seeing glowing reviews from critics that they want to keep around.

This is basically the exact reason House of Cards is still being made despite it getting steadily more expensive every year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

Yep, plenty of trash gets renewed because of eyeballs. Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous 6, for example, was panned by everyone under the sun, but it still holds the record for the most views within a 30-day span of any movie in Netflix's history. The number-two spot belongs to The Do-Over, and Sandy Wexler will likely knock it off its perch. So even though the movies are unbelievably terrible, Netflix still extended Sandler's deal to cover eight movies. If people watch something, they'll fork out the money for it.

What the gently caress even is Sandy Wexler? The trailer thing that plays when you start the app looked like a completely vanilla movie about a young girl making it in the music industry, and also Adam Sandler is there for some reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

parallelodad posted:

What the gently caress even is Sandy Wexler? The trailer thing that plays when you start the app looked like a completely vanilla movie about a young girl making it in the music industry, and also Adam Sandler is there for some reason.

It's Adam Sandler's latest excuse to goof off on a movie set with his friends for a few months.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

It's Adam Sandler's latest excuse to goof off on a movie set with his friends for a few months.

Yeah but what is it? It seemed like a light black family drama/comedy, which is not what he would usually produce or star in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

parallelodad posted:

Yeah but what is it? It seemed like a light black family drama/comedy, which is not what he would usually produce or star in.

quote:

Sandy Wexler (Adam Sandler) is a talent manager working in Los Angeles in the 1990s, diligently, albeit erratically, representing a group of eccentric clients on the fringes of show business. His skills as a manager are challenged when he discovers a legitimately talented singer, Courtney Clarke (Jennifer Hudson). The Wexler character is a satirical homage to Sandler's real-life manager, Sandy Wernick.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gavok posted:

You just reminded me of the time Oswalt started tweeting stuff like "I just deleted the offending tweet. I apologize for all the Native Americans I offended" in response to nothing and people would get super offended over a tweet that never existed in the first place. I always thought that was pretty funny.

I will never bad mouth a Koenig so Oswalt's a ok by me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gavok posted:

You just reminded me of the time Oswalt started tweeting stuff like "I just deleted the offending tweet. I apologize for all the Native Americans I offended" in response to nothing and people would get super offended over a tweet that never existed in the first place. I always thought that was pretty funny.

He also had a run where he wrote two part tweets that when read together were utterly banal, but taken separately were incredibly offensive.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really like Patton Oswalt. But he's a little too cozy with A. Wyatt Mann and it makes me uncomfortable.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'll definitely rewatch it at some point, it was just putting me to sleep when I tried watching it originally. But then, there's always an episode or two per MST3K season that don't quite do it for me, so nothing new there. :)

Mods, please change Sydney Bottocks' name to Gus so he has the strength to watch Carnival Magic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

howe_sam posted:

He also had a run where he wrote two part tweets that when read together were utterly banal, but taken separately were incredibly offensive.

I don't think that kind of stuff is funny and it seems like edgelord trash but he seems like a good TV's Son of Tv's Frank. :shrug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Volume 17 has gone out of print, so order it on Amazon while you still can!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nessus posted:

Reading the reviews, there seems to be a lot of Patton Oswalt hate. What gives? Is this some complex drama? Is he the foe of the Internet hitler brigade?

Some people believe he killed his wife. Like, they actually believe it.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

parallelodad posted:

Well then how come all these power rangers shows are rated so low? Their guessing algorithm is terrible
I don't know about power rangers, but here's a quick example:

What you see in stars is "our best guess for you", not an average

e: the movie was meh, but Mads' take on it was one of the most hilarious episodes of their podcast.

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 6, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You can also see the Average Star Rating on instantwatcher still.

edit: no you can't, everything says 3 stars now, oh well :(

precision fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 6, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Volume 17 has gone out of print, so order it on Amazon while you still can!

Which episodes were on that one?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

drrockso20 posted:

Which episodes were on that one?

The Crawling Eye, The Beatniks, The Final Sacrifice, Blood Waters of Dr. Z.

Also, I don't mean to bog this down with more Netflix star chat, but I thought it was funny that, for me, Netflix suggests a rating of 4 stars for The Return and 2 stars for classic MST3K. :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wait stars still exist? I thought they'd switched over to thumbs up/down.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sash! posted:

Device dependent.

I can't wait to get off work so I can go home and finish Wizards 2. Holy poo poo, this movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

It depends on the device you're using. Some of them update the UI a lot faster than others do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Land That Time Forgot referenced the Hartford Yard Goats. I had to rewind to hear that because I didn't believe it. I don't think that team has had more than 10 games in their home stadium yet. As someone who works in Hartford, I lost my mind at that joke.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They really hated Carnival Magic didn't they?

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

Did anyone else take their shirt off while they were watching Carnival Magic?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I feel like Carnival Magic takes place in the same universe of Girl in Gold Boots, except just a few years apart.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Amazon has MST3K #17 for $18.60. They also have a bunch of other sets for $20 and under right now.

I guess I should get on picking up the rest of the missing sets before they go bye-bye like the one with Soultaker and the Gamera set.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It eats at me a bit that I didn't get the Gamera set while it was still available for a sane price. But years ago I was fortunate enough to get the set with Godzilla vs. Megalon before the recall. Can't win 'em all I guess.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, Amazon has MST3K #17 for $18.60. They also have a bunch of other sets for $20 and under right now.

I guess I should get on picking up the rest of the missing sets before they go bye-bye like the one with Soultaker and the Gamera set.

:holymoley: I can't believe how much eBay folks want for Gamera.

Any clues as to what other sets may go out of print soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I was not ready for the "stay away from those mirelurk eggs" riff in at the Earth's Core. Man, do I hope they get another season.

E: HR Crushin' stuff