Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
and the curse/twitch client. I hope it never catches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

gwrtheyrn posted:

Come back to amar we're top 10 now!

I know, I'm still reading the Amar thread ;)

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

Xmpp clients on phones are trash

I never said it's good, unlike they discord claimers :smugdog:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mynameisbatman posted:

Yeah I totally hosed up and applied with the new account, sorry.

I just sent an email so hopefully they can tell me what to do.

You'll fit right in, friend :)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Actually, Discord is very good at what it is designed to do, that being getting small to moderately sized groups of nerds onto a unified, centralized platform from which they can communicate in the various manners to which they have become accustomed.

It's reasonably stable, has decent voice, requires minimal configuration, is multi-platform, and doesn't cost you any money to set up.

It also is selling all of your personal data to advertising companies, but if you use facebook/twitter/amazon/google/et loving cetera, you are already implicitly okay with this.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

It is also the objectively wrong choice for Goon Messaging Service in case there was any confusion as to what point I was making

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

being drunk should be a prereq for apping to GSF anyways

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Yeah nobody ever has conversations they would rather not be shared except eve players :rolleye:

No one is planning the hostile take down of the us government over discord. Well, if they are, they're idiots anyway. Discord is for small groups of people to do gaming poo poo. No one confuses actual security with "these people we shoot in a game are spying on us to gain an advantage". No one cares about actual security on discord.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Cool I'm in thank you, hopefully now I can shoot other spaceships while I'm drunk. :colbert:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
posts eve stats itt

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

posts eve stats itt

HOLY poo poo!! THIS IS SO.....

Sorry i tried to feign excitement but really, no one cares.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

Discord is just another typical example of a start-up running on venture capital fumes, aside from the whole "selling your data" thing which they readily admit to, not that your personal data is quite the goldmine it used to be, mind you.

I dunno after reading tons of articles on the horrors of people trying to sell me books that are semi like the books I buy already I'm just not entirely sold on the whole "My Data is Worth Selling" thing. Maybe I'll get up in arms if they find a way to flip my webcam on while I'm jerking off or something. There are privacy breaches that mean virtually nothing "This guy sure does play a lot of _______ game!" is pretty tame compared to say... stealing my credit card, or doxxing me and leaving a severed horsehead on my pillow.

EDIT: it should be noted that I'm not dumb enough to put my phone number into any of this poo poo, so the invasive stuff pretty much never happens and gmail has a primo spam blocker.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 5, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CainFortea posted:

No one is planning the hostile take down of the us government over discord. Well, if they are, they're idiots anyway. Discord is for small groups of people to do gaming poo poo. No one confuses actual security with "these people we shoot in a game are spying on us to gain an advantage". No one cares about actual security on discord.

"I wish for some conversations to be private," is not equivalent to, "I wish to bring about regime change in my home country."

Sometimes I just want my conversations to be private.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

"I wish for some conversations to be private," is not equivalent to, "I wish to bring about regime change in my home country."

Sometimes I just want my conversations to be private.

That is correct.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you use a mobile client so you can be screamed at about spaceship games when you are not at home

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

lol if you use a mobile client so you can be screamed at about spaceship games when you are not at home

lol if you're not doing the screaming yourself just lol

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Actually, Discord is very good at what it is designed to do, that being getting small to moderately sized groups of nerds onto a unified, centralized platform from which they can communicate in the various manners to which they have become accustomed.

It's reasonably stable, has decent voice, requires minimal configuration, is multi-platform, and doesn't cost you any money to set up.

I like Discord. It works well for a dozen friends scattered all over the place who are online at various times, sometimes together.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Stunt has never had problems "Fitting in" when he's been a member. His problem is wherever goons are housed is honestly some of the best hunting grounds in eve because we actually use our space, and goons naturally compound that by being whiny as poo poo whenever killed by an ex blue.

Note that when I'm saying goons here I'm being inclusive and saying"Goons and all the trash we surround ourselves with." The kind of people that get shocked and offended when Mandozer does Mandozer things instead of grabbing a beer and watching all the directors who made the same mistake two times ago queuing up to yell "Not my fault this time." Honestly it's a service if you think about it. We should drag him in yearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLequ6dUdM

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
A while back in the thread someone was talking about editing PYFA files for fitting (changing CPU/PG etc). How do you do that again? Could I theoretically make the new CONCORD ships in pyfa? Thanks.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

CainFortea posted:

No one is planning the hostile take down of the us government over discord. Well, if they are, they're idiots anyway.

yeah thats the only type of conversation people wouldn't want others to see and have stored functionally forever, you figured it out a plus good job to you

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

yeah thats the only type of conversation people wouldn't want others to see and have stored functionally forever, you figured it out a plus good job to you

literally exactly what I meant thank you. LITERALLY.

Couldn't possibly be a hyperbole fill in for "stuff you don't want recorded". Nope. No sir. Quick Draw McDeadtear would notice that. Because he's very smart.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Is this thread still the same idiots bickering over poo poo that doesn't matter?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yes

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Is this thread still the same idiots bickering over poo poo that doesn't matter?

I hope VG makes this the new thread title.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I'll check back in another 2 months.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I'll check back in another 2 months.

There are 2 more threads which are other people actually talking about EVE, if you're interested. One of them being a chill thread.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Discord is trash software for trash people. So is jabber on mobile devices and most desktop clients too hth

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow even by eve thread standards the last couple pages were bad

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

eonwe posted:

wow even by eve thread standards the last couple pages were bad

They just got worse now.
Go away, eonwe.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Sup Wibla. How you been buddy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wibla posted:

They just got worse now.
Go away, eonwe.

nah

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Syndic Thrass posted:

Sup Wibla. How you been buddy

Been slacking off with my exercise since last fall, played too much Internet spaceships, and had a blast at fanfest a few weeks ago. You?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wibla posted:

They just got worse now.
Go away, eonwe.

Eonwe makes bad thread good

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Non-player here. I was just looking at sov.space to see who owns what chunks of space, and I noticed the "NPC faction map," which I've determined is the unclaimed middle area in the main player sov maps. Now I am 100% aware that the backstory doesn't "matter," and the setting is just a backdrop for player hyping, but it is very noticeable that the Minmatars have eaten huge chunks of the Amarr's territory. How does NPC vs NPC faction war work, is it something you can influence in PvE "quests," or does the game generate AI controlled fleets which fight? Is "the Amarr are on the ropes" part of the story? (I recall looking a while ago and they were huge)

So what influences this, what if any minor in-game implications does it have, and is it going to inevitably rubber band back?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Non-player here. I was just looking at sov.space to see who owns what chunks of space, and I noticed the "NPC faction map," which I've determined is the unclaimed middle area in the main player sov maps. Now I am 100% aware that the backstory doesn't "matter," and the setting is just a backdrop for player hyping, but it is very noticeable that the Minmatars have eaten huge chunks of the Amarr's territory. How does NPC vs NPC faction war work, is it something you can influence in PvE "quests," or does the game generate AI controlled fleets which fight? Is "the Amarr are on the ropes" part of the story? (I recall looking a while ago and they were huge)

So what influences this, what if any minor in-game implications does it have, and is it going to inevitably rubber band back?

That's the faction-warfare map, which doesn't show the non-conquerable systems or their neighbors; actual Amarr space is about four times that size, it's just that the vast majority of their space isn't conquerable. Basically the NPC wars are a long series of king of the hill matches, and once your side does enough of those in one system you get sent to blow up a structure that then gives your faction control of the system. This has absolutely no story influence (the Caldari took over Intaki once, which is sort of like China somehow occupying Alabama; nothing happened in the plot iirc?), but it does pay a lot of money given the low effort involved. It eventually rubberbands, but often people have an alt in every faction anyway.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

Eonwe makes bad thread good

thx

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh also, what's the deal with this prion plague The Scope is talking about. Do you guys have missions where you can help set up research labs, or bombard infection areas, or spread the plague to other areas?

Also I'm going to Iceland in 2 weeks. Anyone have any recommendations on things to do, since I'd imagine a nonzero amount of you go to the big annual convention?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh also, what's the deal with this prion plague The Scope is talking about. Do you guys have missions where you can help set up research labs, or bombard infection areas, or spread the plague to other areas?

Nope. It was a LARP thing for Fanfest, basically.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

dragonshardz posted:

Nope. It was a LARP thing for Fanfest, basically.

We're under quarantine due to a super virus? How do you LARP that? Would Maximilian Singularity IV have to lay his hands on you to be cleansed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

We're under quarantine due to a super virus? How do you LARP that? Would Maximilian Singularity IV have to lay his hands on you to be cleansed?

It was some sort of "Inquest" thing, I didn't really pay attention to it. Super-deadly prion plague breaks out, SoE anchor a Keepstar (IRL the Harpa Conference Center) near one of the afflicted locations to do ~~research~~, CCP and the company P runs a LARP thing that determines what the NPC empires do about the super-plague.

• Locked thread