Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Reprint swords but with "target creature takes up farming"

still sincerely wish farming was a keyword, drat richard garfield for doing things like making the card read easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
"You may cast this creature from farming."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PJOmega posted:

"You may cast this creature from farming."

Cincinnatus legendary creature looking good, Roman Republic block confirmed

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Can't wait to see voting and monarch wreak havoc in non-multiplayer sets. :getin:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

If the creatures didn't draw cards, produce tokens, reanimate, and have evasion you would be correct.

It's more that the cost of all those things is too high. 3 mana and 1 or less card in hand is a lot different than 1 mana and a zombie. Tapping three zombies to draw a card rather than attack seems like a weird anti-synergy. The menace is probably the best thing it has going for it, but card for card and synergy wise it feels so much worse than GB to me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Marketing New Brain posted:

It's more that the cost of all those things is too high. 3 mana and 1 or less card in hand is a lot different than 1 mana and a zombie. Tapping three zombies to draw a card rather than attack seems like a weird anti-synergy. The menace is probably the best thing it has going for it, but card for card and synergy wise it feels so much worse than GB to me.

Yet g/b is like the decks best matchup.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Being able to tap your dorky aggro creatures to draw cards when they can't attack profitably sounds awesome to me. My problem with the deck is the lack of reach. The white splash for the 2-drop seems to help a bit, but that's only ok. I'd actually consider splashing red for Cut//Ribbons instead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Marshall: "IT'S MOUTH!"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I managed to go off with Hapatra and Archfiend of Ifnir against a board full of creatures, and it was glorious.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Would legit love to see a Roman period block but that nut was probably already busted when the Theros setting was created. Then again the thing that made Rome last so long was co-opting good poo poo from over civilizations, so you could set up a block where four colors each have their own distinct flavor and the fifth color just cribs stuff from each of them, with a little bit of its own unique stuff too.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Maro has said that they intentionally designed Theros in a way to leave the door open for a Rome-themed set.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

Maro has said that they intentionally designed Theros in a way to leave the door open for a Rome-themed set.

Only if the second set of that block ends with the plane burning itself down.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

I managed to go off with Hapatra and Archfiend of Ifnir against a board full of creatures, and it was glorious.
Going off with Hapatra feels so good. I managed this turn three play last Friday, after a mull to five: "Okay, untap, draw. Attack with Hapatra? Since there's no other creatures on board she takes the -1/-1 on herself, creates a snake. Swamp, cast Plague Belcher, takes the counters, another snake. Go."

Then I lost because my opponent found his wrath. Oh well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Would legit love to see a Roman period block but that nut was probably already busted when the Theros setting was created. Then again the thing that made Rome last so long was co-opting good poo poo from over civilizations, so you could set up a block where four colors each have their own distinct flavor and the fifth color just cribs stuff from each of them, with a little bit of its own unique stuff too.

Most people can't tell the difference between Roman and Greek settings and just assume that Rome copied or stole everything around them and never ever made anything on their own. They'll just think it's Theros II.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Siivola posted:

Going off with Hapatra feels so good. I managed this turn three play last Friday, after a mull to five: "Okay, untap, draw. Attack with Hapatra? Since there's no other creatures on board she takes the -1/-1 on herself, creates a snake. Swamp, cast Plague Belcher, takes the counters, another snake. Go."

Then I lost because my opponent found his wrath. Oh well.

Few things are as fun as going from facing down a Rhonas with five other creatures to turning your 0/2'd Archfiend into a counter cannon by playing Hapatra, cycling to shrink their board and get six snakes...and then drawing another cycler to do it again.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ugh. Sealed GPs are the loving worst.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Who opened 2x Glorybringer? With Edifice of Authority backup?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Fun thing to do this standard: start a debate about the pronunciation of Canyon Slough

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

PJOmega posted:

Who opened 2x Glorybringer? With Edifice of Authority backup?

Oh I mean for watching. Mostly because of that reason right there.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Canyon Slough: "Black-red dual"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

its really not very good as a format, it only "works" for pre-releases since people there for that just want to see a bunch of new cards

i really don't understand why it's a gp format, it's incredibly luck-based

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mandatory lesbian posted:

its really not very good as a format, it only "works" for pre-releases since people there for that just want to see a bunch of new cards

Basically this. I'm not a fan of just randomly lucking into cards and getting multiple perfect bomb rares/mythic means you usually just win.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My guess is because adding in a bunch of drafts and extra deckbuilding time is like adding in a couple extra rounds of play and GPs already run absurdly late

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

Canyon Slough: "Black-red dual"

It's slew

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's pronounced wooster

Elyv posted:

My guess is because adding in a bunch of drafts and extra deckbuilding time is like adding in a couple extra rounds of play and GPs already run absurdly late

how many people show up to gp's on average? would truncating the number of rounds possibly be a solution

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Shortest Path posted:

But I don't think those cards were ever printed in a version that had Landfall on the card.
Ability words have no rules meaning in and of themselves but still count as text on the card.

Elyv posted:

This, plus Sealed isn't entirely luck based. It's more so than Draft but there are still things you can do deckbuilding wise and it rewards you for knowing the set and what cards are total beaters.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

how many people show up to gp's on average? would truncating the number of rounds possibly be a solution

so many that the cut to top8 is always on tiebreakers already

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

UberJew posted:

so many that the cut to top8 is always on tiebreakers already

dang...

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Logistically there's just no way to do drafts on Day 1 of a GP without adding another 2-3 hours to an event that's already 9-10 hours with no breaks

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Fun thing to do this standard: start a debate about the pronunciation of Canyon Slough

slew is US pronunciation
sla-oo is UK pronunciation
sluff means shed skin or discard

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

At least we didn't have to sit through the legacy GP that an entirely new deck played by one of the best players in the world won!

Angry Grimace posted:

This, plus Sealed isn't entirely luck based. It's more so than Draft but there are still things you can do deckbuilding wise and it rewards you for knowing the set and what cards are total beaters.

But you're still going to lose to the Stormbreath/Gearhulk/Skysovereign/Glorybringer deck if they draw them. I think I've said this before but of the top 12 seats at the Kaladesh prerelease, I was one of 2 people who didn't have a Gearhulk, Skysovereign, Nissa, or Chandra. Even I had a Saheeli which was almost good.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Sl-ow as in ow my balls

Sl

Ow

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

Being able to tap your dorky aggro creatures to draw cards when they can't attack profitably sounds awesome to me. My problem with the deck is the lack of reach. The white splash for the 2-drop seems to help a bit, but that's only ok. I'd actually consider splashing red for Cut//Ribbons instead.

The deck with 4 Blood Artists lacks reach?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'm like Billy Madison going back to high school in my Trans Am and acid washed jeans. I just got crushed by a sliver deck? Things were going well until turn 6 or 7 then I got one shotted by multiple 4/4 and 5/5 first strike death touch flyers.

Is it safe to say power creep and the evolution of the game has rendered my strategy of "1. Cast Serra Angels 2. Cast Mahamoti Djinns 3. Profit" to being as effective as the 10 year old I played in a tournament who literally had his entire collection as his deck and was trying to discreetly discard on the floor to avoid my Black Vice?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yes

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm like Billy Madison going back to high school in my Trans Am and acid washed jeans. I just got crushed by a sliver deck? Things were going well until turn 6 or 7 then I got one shotted by multiple 4/4 and 5/5 first strike death touch flyers.

Is it safe to say power creep and the evolution of the game has rendered my strategy of "1. Cast Serra Angels 2. Cast Mahamoti Djinns 3. Profit" to being as effective as the 10 year old I played in a tournament who literally had his entire collection as his deck and was trying to discreetly discard on the floor to avoid my Black Vice?

That's absolutely how it is. Both of those cards are horrible now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

At least we didn't have to sit through the legacy GP that an entirely new deck played by one of the best players in the world won!

But you're still going to lose to the Stormbreath/Gearhulk/Skysovereign/Glorybringer deck if they draw them. I think I've said this before but of the top 12 seats at the Kaladesh prerelease, I was one of 2 people who didn't have a Gearhulk, Skysovereign, Nissa, or Chandra. Even I had a Saheeli which was almost good.

Tell me about this entirely new deck Steve

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tell me about this entirely new deck Steve

I mean, it's an incredibly boring midrange snoozefest but at least it was something new! And 2nd place went to that terrible BR Reanimtor deck which was also pretty new!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Yeah, over the last 15-ish years creatures have generally gotten better while non-creature spells have generally gotten worse. There are obvious examples going against both of those trends, but if you look at Legacy and even Vintage very few decks are running pre-Modern creatures unless they're some sort of combo enabler (like in Legacy Elves)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also he doesn't wash his hands after making GBS threads.

I am so glad we still remember this like 7 years later