Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

So, what's the latest on black people in the 'verse?

So I hadn't saw this before but the people on reddit were berating someone for saying this wasn't impressive because it was a canned animation. They said its completely organic and can happen at any angle in an infinite number of ways depending on the physics.

Its a canned animation and that's okay. Whats not okay is that it takes 5 years for it to look that lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Netcode and fps will always be just a couple patches away :allears:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Well technically Q1 2018 is when 3.0 releases so its still in the 3.0...from Gamescom.

Also some guy got called a troll and told to check his facts because he noticed that they keep cutting content and pushing dates farther out every week.

Apparently they're fitting in a rework for an fps gun into 3.0 now. So content is getting added all the time.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 6, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

1988 is really recently?

The first episode of Doctor Who came out in 1963, so I would say really recently.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Samizdata posted:

The first episode of Doctor Who came out in 1963, so I would say really recently.

Well, 1988 is closer to 1963 than 1988 is to 2017....

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

super size soft serve posted:

Mods please change my username to Wonton Hyphening.

This is the yummiest grammar.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Post-3.0 Release, Late 2017

Chris Roberts: [...] I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I see this pop up in comments like "Oh, Star Citizen is cancelled" or "Where's Star Citizen?!" Star Citizen was just a dream for people to imagine until I could finish making my movie using their money. NOCLIP flight model, T-posing around, shooting worse than an amateur CryEngine mod, that's what's in 3.0. That's what's in the minimum viable product.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

People don't hold items and adjust their grip like that

They can't even mocap anything without it looking weird and unnatural

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

If that box had anything in it at all that guy's back would shatter like loving glass.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Sappo569 posted:

They didn't have the forward, fidelity-driven thinking required to use a box that was actually filled with something when they mocapped it. See also: mopping the floor without a mop head attached to the handle.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

If that box had anything in it at all that guy's back would shatter like loving glass.

Yea that's another thing. He was very clearly mocapped picking up an empty water cooler or something.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Also I'm glad CIG is doing Homage to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the Xian. CIG must be getting big bucks from the TMNT company to advertise their brand, just like they are flush with Hello Kitty cash. Guardians 2 even got CIG to put in Groots.

Everyone wants in. Even Herbert's family gave CIG a shitload of cash to put in a sandworm. Discovery's wallets must be hurting with all the advertisement they've been purchasing from CIG for Top Gear refs every year.

Eidos must be hurting after advertising ships from the final fantasy series in SC. Strike Vector, hoping to stir up some legacy sales, even paid CIG to slip in a couple logos of theirs in CIGs art.

EVE, in desperation, even had SC put in their star and nebula maps into the game just in the hope of getting more subs.

I'm sure theres 50 more things I'm missing but the reality is CIG can go on forever with all this advertisement money. People just want their copyright brands in SC.

Its amazing.

No IP is really "great" until it's been poached by Chris Roberts to be added to his story of ages.

It begins... in a cafeteria...

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I've always wondered this since they started selling "merchandise".

:discourse:
[/quote]

This was the exact line of questioning I had a year and a half ago and what caused the community to turn on me. Backers gave money for a game to be made. Not for them to build lavish studios across the globe with merchandise and weekly shows. Those are not needed to make a game. Those are things that come when a company has a profit from a released product, not off backers kickstarted dimes.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
wouldn't containers in the future have anti grav poo poo on them or just fly themselves to their destination or something

why the gently caress are we still throwing around luggage like we're working at LAX in the year 3,000

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

This is Bobby, he's a storeman, notice the bad habits

1) Not taking the time to assess the load or his work area.
2) Not putting his best foot forward to have the correct stance for lifting or bracing.
3) Not using his legs when bracing or lifting.
4) Bending his back rather than using his knees to take/drop/lift the load.

Bobby will accrue 200 days of sickness related absence in the next three years due to back pain and sciatica.

Don't be like Bobby, don't be the storeman in bad mo-cap movies. :)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

And that's probably taking place next to the space mop closet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

wouldn't containers in the future have anti grav poo poo on them or just fly themselves to their destination or something

why the gently caress are we still throwing around luggage like we're working at LAX in the year 3,000

The only way to deliver fidelity is to make something the backers are familiar with?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

Never mind, then.

Motion capture! And Hollywood actors!

The only thing that can make a game a game! Game play optional.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

X-Ultron posted:

They didn't have the forward, fidelity-driven thinking required to use a box that was actually filled with something when they mocapped it. See also: mopping the floor without a mop head attached to the handle.
You want fidelity?

You mocap lifting the box multiple times with different weights in it. Then you map the animation used in game to the weight of the box. Fidelity.

You can have that one for free Chris, you loving hack.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also, the fidelity on Mark Hamill has taken a huge nosedive. :(

We're not even up to CoD standards of appearance now.

Is this the difference between "CGI rendering of in game" and "for real in game this time"?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

Ironically modern warehousesuse loaders n poo poo for everything. Noones doin that poo poo by hand

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
game designer: lets just have all your cargo load itself in with antigrav thrusters because its the future and its an easy way to save thousands of hours of animating and coding poo poo

chris roberts: lets just have all your cargo be hand loaded, every single piece of baggage from every height must be mocapped and then animated by hand for every type of different cargo bay and storage space and then gently caress, what if the players character model is smaller or a different height, I forgot about that unless our female models are the same height as the male models, gently caress, are they, I don't know, lets kick that can down the road a bit because we need a lot of loving money to keep this place afloat and I don't have time to consider things that don't cost us a shitload of time, money and energy for something gamers are going to be sick of after the 5th hour of playtime

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Ironically modern warehousesuse loaders n poo poo for everything. Noones doin that poo poo by hand
yeah even the new amazon warehouses have auto driving loaders, auto shipment preppers and storage robots

this is now, in 2017

I'm sure no progress in logistics will be made in 700 years

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Fidelity means more polygons, shaders and kinematics optional.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

So I hadn't saw this before but the people on reddit were berating someone for saying this wasn't impressive because it was a canned animation. They said its completely organic and can happen at any angle in an infinite number of ways depending on the physics.

Its a canned animation and that's okay. Whats not okay is that it takes 5 years for it to look that lovely.

People are expecting something like Uncharted level of dynamic animation. What they are getting may as well be sprites.

The decision to do IK based locomotion vs keyframed locomotion would have had to have been made a long time ago.

There's nothing wrong with keyframed animation and it's still hugely used. You just will not get that dynamic feel that games like Uncharted and GTA have. Your character will feel a little less physical in the world.

Not a horrible thing, but I hope Citizens are expecting movement more like Skyrim than other more technically advanced games.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

People are expecting something like Uncharted level of dynamic animation. What they are getting may as well be sprites.

The decision to do IK based locomotion vs keyframed locomotion would have had to have been made a long time ago.

There's nothing wrong with keyframed animation and it's still hugely used. You just will not get that dynamic feel that games like Uncharted and GTA have. Your character will feel a little less physical in the world.

Not a horrible thing, but I hope Citizens are expecting movement more like Skyrim than other more technically advanced games.

And, even then, I have seen some body horror moments with animations in Uncharted.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

yeah even the new amazon warehouses have auto driving loaders, auto shipment preppers and storage robots

this is now, in 2017

I'm sure no progress in logistics will be made in 700 years

Its like when they removed HUDs from the game and cited it as not realistic.

All modern planes from airliners to fighter jets have HUDs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tooterfish posted:

The box uses the same gravity technology that ships and space stations employ. Magic gravity.

Just wait until more fidelity is layered in.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

The box uses the same gravity technology that ships and space stations employ. Magic gravity.

Well, at this point, there are enough layers to make geological strata and the game still doesn't work worth a drat.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

And, even then, I have seen some body horror moments with animations in Uncharted.

IK always has the potential to go crazy. But it looks hugely more satisfying and makes the character feel like part of their environment than just snapping between keyframe points.

Motion capturing 8 ways to sit in a cafeteria seat is a point most developers might consider building in a dynamic animation system that employs something like IK.

But that would mean huge amounts of programming and talent, and less time playing director in a motion capture studio. Needless to say, dynamic animation will not be making an appearance in Star Citizen or any CIG products.

The most dynamic animation you will get will be death animations where they flip off the canned animation system and say "now rag doll!"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

game designer: lets just have all your cargo load itself in with antigrav thrusters because its the future and its an easy way to save thousands of hours of animating and coding poo poo

chris roberts: lets just have all your cargo be hand loaded, every single piece of baggage from every height must be mocapped and then animated by hand for every type of different cargo bay and storage space and then gently caress, what if the players character model is smaller or a different height, I forgot about that unless our female models are the same height as the male models, gently caress, are they, I don't know, lets kick that can down the road a bit because we need a lot of loving money to keep this place afloat and I don't have time to consider things that don't cost us a shitload of time, money and energy for something gamers are going to be sick of after the 5th hour of playtime

Oh the character height and size slider! Surely Chris Roberts will have that in his Mona Lisa.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they implement a height slider, or different sized models, and everyone is rubbing their chin as 5,000 hours of motion capture doesn't line up with anything.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 6, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Its like when they removed HUDs from the game and cited it as not realistic.

All modern planes from airliners to fighter jets have HUDs.

…as do more and more cars, because why the hell wouldn't you?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Magic gravity for ships and stations, except for things like the rings of Post Olisar and the spinny cargo arms of the Hull E, which will use centripital force to create artificial gravity, and, as luck would have it, also create enough torque to cause whatever is the axle to counter-rotate. Fidelity! :science:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Magic gravity for ships and stations, except for things like the rings of Post Olisar and the spinny cargo arms of the Hull E, which will use centripital force to create artificial gravity, and, as luck would have it, also create enough torque to cause whatever is the axle to counter-rotate. Fidelity! :science:

It's sometimes realistic... unless it's hard. Then it's a hand wave away.

You can expect realism in such like it taking 5 minutes to climb a ladder animation, but gravity, or other dynamic events that can't be animated as being realistic... not gonna happen.

Fidelity and realism only goes so far as the motion capture studio.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Chris Robert's Brain when asked to explain why Joe Schmoe is now throwing boxes around on a super advanced spaceship posted:

The cargo loading technology of 2017 was lost in the Great War of 2917.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

It's sometimes realistic... unless it's hard. Then it's a hand wave away.

You can expect realism in such like it taking 5 minutes to climb a ladder animation, but gravity, or other dynamic events that can't be animated as being realistic... not gonna happen.

Fidelity and realism only goes so far as the motion capture studio.

I wonder how much it would cost to charter that jet with the padded walls that NASA uses to train astronauts for zero-gravity, and also why Crobbers hasn't done it yet so that he can do some more pointless motion capture

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Mark Hamill's character actually fought in the war to retrieve the schematics for the legendary BOX-MOVING ROOMBA 5000 but unfortunately his mission was unsuccessful and the plans are still held by the evil Space Turtles of China.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Woops didn't mean to spoil the opening of SQ42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Someone posted a link to a paper in which an LSTM neural network was generating lifelike movement animations for changing environmental conditions. Not quite my field, but neural networks can generate some crazy good stuff, so why not animations?
No source code released, so it might not be as good as that youtube video, but the technology is there in some manner. And CIG is doing it all by hand, you visionaries you.

Also, anything good happen in the last couple of days? You goonie cuntiflas.