Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

rockcity posted:

Pre ground coffee (assuming you mean it was packaged ground and not that you had it ground for you) is ground to for a drip machine. Even though you have a pressurized portafilter, you still need to be in the right ballpark of grind size to get a decent shot of espresso. Try buying beans that are whole and get them ground for an espresso machine which will be much much finer.

I think at Trader Joe's they can do it right then and there for you to specification on a Grindmaster 890, or at least at some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

rockcity posted:

Pre ground coffee (assuming you mean it was packaged ground and not that you had it ground for you) is ground to for a drip machine. Even though you have a pressurized portafilter, you still need to be in the right ballpark of grind size to get a decent shot of espresso. Try buying beans that are whole and get them ground for an espresso machine which will be much much finer.

Yes, it was packaged ground. If I find a local place that will grind the beans for me, for how long can I keep those ground beans before they get bitter?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I found out today that I've been paying for Amazon Prime for months despite thinking I'd made a point of unsubscribing from it after my free trial. I'm using this and my recent birthday as an excuse to get some decent coffee gear. But I'm still not made of money, so: Is the Baratza Encore a decent cheap grinder or would you have a better suggestion? Most of my coffee is from a CCD, but I do sometimes use a cafetiere or a moka pot (not ideal for electric stovetops though) so I don't need espresso-quality grind. Also, if I need a cheap, reliable, accurate scale what would you recommend? Is there anything else I might have overlooked that I might/will want? And what is the best place to order coffee beans from in the UK?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Best place is wherever you can get them freshest. Has Bean has a good selection, and I like the design of their bags. Check out Coffee Forums though.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

TheDarkFlame posted:

I found out today that I've been paying for Amazon Prime for months despite thinking I'd made a point of unsubscribing from it after my free trial. I'm using this and my recent birthday as an excuse to get some decent coffee gear. But I'm still not made of money, so: Is the Baratza Encore a decent cheap grinder or would you have a better suggestion? Most of my coffee is from a CCD, but I do sometimes use a cafetiere or a moka pot (not ideal for electric stovetops though) so I don't need espresso-quality grind. Also, if I need a cheap, reliable, accurate scale what would you recommend? Is there anything else I might have overlooked that I might/will want? And what is the best place to order coffee beans from in the UK?

Encore is a solid selection for a first, decent grinder and you can get it more cheaply through Baratza's refurb site. I used this scale for a couple of years before it broke and I finally gave in and got a Hario one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After tax and the high shipping cost the Baratza site really sucks.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Yes, it was packaged ground. If I find a local place that will grind the beans for me, for how long can I keep those ground beans before they get bitter?

Coffee doesn't get more bitter as it ages, it mostly just loses flavor. The subtle things in the coffee are what drop off the most. It just tastes muddied and bland.

Ideally if you have an espresso machine you should really have a grinder. Pre-ground coffee does espresso no service, even with pressurized portafilters. With a pressurized basket, you can get away with a Capresso Infinity if you want to keep cost down. They can be had for a decent price at Bed Bath and Beyond if you have a 20% off coupon.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

rockcity posted:

Coffee doesn't get more bitter as it ages, it mostly just loses flavor. The subtle things in the coffee are what drop off the most. It just tastes muddied and bland.

Ideally if you have an espresso machine you should really have a grinder. Pre-ground coffee does espresso no service, even with pressurized portafilters. With a pressurized basket, you can get away with a Capresso Infinity if you want to keep cost down. They can be had for a decent price at Bed Bath and Beyond if you have a 20% off coupon.

I thought grinding coffee immediately stars a process where the coffee loses its flavor, so grinding it one day and drinking the next is a really bad idea. Perhaps "bitterness" was not the right word.

Let me ask this: If I had a budget of $200, could I buy a grinder that would give me a better mocha than (1) using pre-ground coffee and (2) grinding my own beans using a cheap Cuisinart DBM-8?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Any grinder is better than preground. The Baratza Virtuoso will do a decent job though it will take a lot of fiddling.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Any grinder is better than preground. The Baratza Virtuoso will do a decent job though it will take a lot of fiddling.

Noticeably better than a Cuisinart DBM-8?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes because it has over twice as many grind settings. For espresso you ideally want more than that.

The cuisinart is entering a world of pain with espresso. Probably would be fine for just drip coffee though.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 7, 2017

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

After tax and the high shipping cost the Baratza site really sucks.
They're in the business of making grinders, not selling them; look to their multiple retailers for a good deal. They do occasionally have refurbished units on their site though.

theHUNGERian posted:

I thought grinding coffee immediately stars a process where the coffee loses its flavor, so grinding it one day and drinking the next is a really bad idea. Perhaps "bitterness" was not the right word.

Let me ask this: If I had a budget of $200, could I buy a grinder that would give me a better mocha than (1) using pre-ground coffee and (2) grinding my own beans using a cheap Cuisinart DBM-8?
Coffee does start to lose flavor once ground (just like spices) but it's nowhere near that extreme, and if you're mixing in a bunch of chocolate I doubt you'd notice the difference between a few days and a week. Are you using an Aeropress for all of this? Are you using the metal filter, controlling for water temp and dosing by weight? If not you aren't going to get anywhere close to a good, consistent shot of espresso from that device, and that might be your problem. If you want to throw money at this quest it should be towards a proper espresso machine, not a more expensive grinder.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bizwank posted:

They're in the business of making grinders, not selling them; look to their multiple retailers for a good deal. They do occasionally have refurbished units on their site though.

Coffee does start to lose flavor once ground (just like spices) but it's nowhere near that extreme, and if you're mixing in a bunch of chocolate I doubt you'd notice the difference between a few days and a week. Are you using an Aeropress for all of this? Are you using the metal filter, controlling for water temp and dosing by weight? If not you aren't going to get anywhere close to a good, consistent shot of espresso from that device, and that might be your problem. If you want to throw money at this quest it should be towards a proper espresso machine, not a more expensive grinder.

No, I'm using a Capresso EC50 which I got as a gift. I know it probably sucks, but it was the least poo poo gift option. I would be happy to throw some money at this to get a decent Mocha out of it, but $200 is the absolute limit.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That's as good as anything else you can get for under $300; are you temperature-surfing it at least?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bizwank posted:

That's as good as anything else you can get for under $300; are you temperature-surfing it at least?

I'm not doing anything beyond what is written in the manual. Fill with cold water, wait until a light turns a certain color, flip lever to 'make coffee'-mode. I'm pretty sure I am not even brewing the correct amount.

But alright, I'll play with it (beans and finding a place for grinding) more without sinking money into new gear and see what I get. Thanks.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Carpet posted:

Best place is wherever you can get them freshest. Has Bean has a good selection, and I like the design of their bags. Check out Coffee Forums though.

Seconding Has Bean. Super fast delivery for cheap as well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Yes. Grinding coffee greatly accelerates that process. There are several grinders in the $200 and under range that would be ok. Check out the Breville Smart Grinder. That is my daily grinder for all my coffee needs, including use on my Rancilio Silvia espresso machine.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a Clever Coffee Dripper, or equivalent, that's big enough to make about a liter of coffee? I like the idea of a chemex, but I don't want to bother with proprietary filters.

The boyfriend has a sensitive stomach and can't take the silty dirtiness of french press anymore, and we don't really want to get anything that takes up a bunch of counter space. All our coffee cups are oddly shaped otherwise I'd just grab a Melitta from Canadian Tire and call it a day.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've never used it, but I think the Kalita Wave 185 brewer can get close to that (16-26oz). They've got their own filter system though so not sure how that helps you.

We've also got a Grosche "ultra mesh" metal pourover thinger in the store that says it can do 1-4 cups at a time if you want to go non filtered.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You could also just filter french press coffee with anything that holds whatever coffee filter you want.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there a Clever Coffee Dripper, or equivalent, that's big enough to make about a liter of coffee? I like the idea of a chemex, but I don't want to bother with proprietary filters.

The boyfriend has a sensitive stomach and can't take the silty dirtiness of french press anymore, and we don't really want to get anything that takes up a bunch of counter space. All our coffee cups are oddly shaped otherwise I'd just grab a Melitta from Canadian Tire and call it a day.

I avoided the chemex until it was gifted to me, but I really like it for my large travel cup and it's a very clean cup, moreso than the CCD. The CCD can do 16oz in a go, chemex 20. The difference between a french press and the CCD is just the paper filter though; both seep. Check to see if pouring a french press through a #2 filter or similar will be sufficent? If you want to use melitta filters I advise the beahouse, it's taken over my aeropress for go-to single cups.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Hario V60 03 will comfortably do large volume brews if you don't want the expense of a Chemex and its filters.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
So I bought a thing...

The Expobar Pulser had gone out of stock so upgraded to the Appartamento. Still dialling the Eureka Mignon in, but have made some acceptable espressos even with the seasoning beans they provided (they also included some fresher beans a set of the Inker cups I'd been planning to get anyway).

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Carpet posted:

So I bought a thing...

The Expobar Pulser had gone out of stock so upgraded to the Appartamento. Still dialling the Eureka Mignon in, but have made some acceptable espressos even with the seasoning beans they provided (they also included some fresher beans a set of the Inker cups I'd been planning to get anyway).

So much chrome. It's beautiful. :swoon:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Carpet posted:

So I bought a thing...

So very nice. How do you like the Mignon?

I went with the 270W and now that it's back from repair I like it, but wish I had done the Mignon instead since Baratza has been a pain to deal with. The Breville Smart Grinder was okay as a stopgap but having something that can do espresso fine is going to be a lot of fun.

As for the Rocket, I know people like the Exobar or Profitec, but drat if Rocket isn't a sexy machine.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm looking to upgrade my espresso machine and man it seems like since I bought my machine 3 years ago the options have really exploded. If you were looking to spend $2-3k on a machine what would you be getting? I'm very tempted by the Lucca M58 at this point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This is the best pour over tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8QO0Y7fgQ

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dik-dik posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my espresso machine and man it seems like since I bought my machine 3 years ago the options have really exploded. If you were looking to spend $2-3k on a machine what would you be getting? I'm very tempted by the Lucca M58 at this point.

Two of us recently purchased Rocket machines (the Appartamento a few posts up and my Mozzafiatio R).

The Lucca certainly has some nice features as well. Depending on your use case and where you are coming from even things like the Breville Oracle offer unique perspectives on the price point.

What do you have that is three years old and why are you looking to upgrade?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I have a Gaggia Classic with a PID and a Baratza Vario. I'm looking to upgrade because I made a bunch of money betting on politics online and need something to spend it on.

I feel like at this price point the main distinguishing features between the models I've looked at come down to stuff like what kinds of switches/knobs/etc it uses and other silly little things. I doubt I'll honestly notice a huge difference between the quality of the shots I pull from a new machine but I think I might enjoy the process a bit more.

Rocket makes some beautiful machines, but one of the things I want if I buy a new machine is a built-in shot clock and I don't think any of them have that? If they made one with an analog shot clock I would probably buy it instantly though, because I do like the all-analogue aesthetic they have.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dik-dik posted:

I have a Gaggia Classic with a PID and a Baratza Vario. I'm looking to upgrade because I made a bunch of money betting on politics online and need something to spend it on.

I feel like at this price point the main distinguishing features between the models I've looked at come down to stuff like what kinds of switches/knobs/etc it uses and other silly little things. I doubt I'll honestly notice a huge difference between the quality of the shots I pull from a new machine but I think I might enjoy the process a bit more.

Rocket makes some beautiful machines, but one of the things I want if I buy a new machine is a built-in shot clock and I don't think any of them have that? If they made one with an analog shot clock I would probably buy it instantly though, because I do like the all-analogue aesthetic they have.

Gambling money from politics? Half tongue-in-cheek: get a Slayer

You are spot on that it is fiddly stuff. I would value a scale over a timer. If timing and profiling are your bag, then check out Decent espresso? Their + machine looks pretty interesting.

Really you need two analog gauges: one timer counting up one way and a scale that weighs the shot going the other way on another dial. And analog pressures and temperatures at the boiler and brew head. Ultimate steampunk espresso machine mods.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dik-dik posted:

Quickmill Vetrano 2B has a built-in PID indicator that doubles as a shot-clock when you're extracting, if that's what you mean. It counts up from 0.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so, coffee goons, I request your help.

I'm debating getting a Moka Pot mostly because I want to start making lattes at home without having to go to a coffee shop all the time but not splurge the money for a proper espresso maker.

Could I get some advice on this?

Also, before anyone asks, no, I can not afford a true espresso maker, so the moka pot is the only option here.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Aeropress?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Having used both and not really getting along well enough with either, I'd say the Aeropress might be a better call. An Aeropress doesn't produce the kind of pressure needed to get a decent espresso, but it does make espresso-ish. And espresso-ish is still coffee, and it's certainly coffee enough to make a latte with. The instructions that come with the Aeropress should be immediately discarded, and instead you should go find out what Aeropress methods people use to win competitions, inverted or otherwise. But it's still simple: Boiled water, coffee in the correct ratio, leave to brew, plunge and if you're using an inverted method please put the thing together before you plunge unless you like covering everything in boiling hot coffee.

A moka pot is a stovetop brewer that could be described as an upside down espresso machine (not my description, but I read it on the internet so it must be true), but it doesn't really make espresso either. Again, it's a slightly thicker, stronger coffee, espresso-ish, which will be fine for your lattes. My argument would be that they're a bit more fiddly than the Aeropress, and can have problems if you have an electric cooker rather than gas because you might not have as much control over your brewing temperature. Mine is electric and the stove top stays hot forever so if I don't cut the heat too early and fail to brew the coffee at all, I just end up boiling half the water away instead, neither of which are really recommended. That and the fact that my moka pot is 100% metal and gets 100% too hot to touch might be influencing my decision somewhat, and maybe someone's got the perfect way to get what you need out of a moka pot that starts with not buying the cheapest one you saw.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Aeropress & Aerolatte or some other milk frother is probably the cheapest way to make faux-latte at home.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

dik-dik posted:

I'm very tempted by the Lucca M58 at this point.

Really happy with mine, but nothing to compare it to. I think I'm glad I went with the joysticks. Knobs seem like more work. The steam boiler might be a bit on the small side? I don't run out, but would be nice to know there's a bit more in reserve. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

iospace posted:

Ok, so, coffee goons, I request your help.

I'm debating getting a Moka Pot mostly because I want to start making lattes at home without having to go to a coffee shop all the time but not splurge the money for a proper espresso maker.

Could I get some advice on this?

Also, before anyone asks, no, I can not afford a true espresso maker, so the moka pot is the only option here.

I have an aluminum moka pot by Bialetti (I think it was ~$20 for "3 cups" worth, meaning 3 shots of espresso-ish coffee, maybe $30 for the "6 cup" version), and I use a milk frothing wand to make my lattes.

I would recommend actually getting the Bialetti stainless steel model over the aluminum, though. Less residue.

Anyway, I have an electric stove top and it works fine for me. I leave the lid at the top open and keep my eyes on it. Once I see that the coffee has started to bubble out, I leave the stove top on for a few more seconds, then turn it off. That's usually enough time for all the coffee to be made, at which point I pour and then add my frothed milk.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

geetee posted:

Really happy with mine, but nothing to compare it to. I think I'm glad I went with the joysticks. Knobs seem like more work. The steam boiler might be a bit on the small side? I don't run out, but would be nice to know there's a bit more in reserve. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yeah, my Gaggia has a knob, and while it's fine, I think a joystick would be a big improvement.

What's the most steaming you've done on it in quick succession? I can't imagine I'll run out because the vast majority of the time I'm just making coffee for myself or one or two other people.

How long have you had the machine? Run into any issues with it yet?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I really never make more than two drinks at a time. Pretty sure I could make cappuccinos all day at a normal leisurely pace. Bigger milk drinks might need to wait an extra 30 seconds in between. I'm running at 15amps, but it can do 20 where both boilers heat at once.

Build quality is great. No sharp edges. Feels solid. Only have had it for about 4 months, but no problems so far. I'm curious how some other machines at the price point compare, but would probably make the same choice again instead of gambling. I don't feel like I'm missing anything, just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I could use a little advice, since what I am seeing online is a bit counterintuitive. I know the answer may just be 'git gud' but maybe y'all have some wisdom for me.

I got my 270W back from Baratza and it seems to be working, which is better than not working. I think I a, having trouble dialing it in. With the Breville Smart Grinder, I think I was going way too coarse and over dosing to compensate. Now with the 270 I am going much finer and the scale tells me I am dosing 18.5g. I was getting flow pretty fast, but it was tasty. In an effort to slow down the shots, I started going finer, but now the shots have started tasting acidic to me.

Here is where I need help: the Internet tells me that to correct acidic shots I need to go finer and longer, but it seems I got into this pickle by going finer to begin with?

I am to the point where I will need to add a shim to go finer, and I wonder if coarser and higher dose is really what I need to do?