Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

will_colorado posted:

probably :nws:

twitter.com/orangeNblueblog/status/860700406468530176

Between this and that "they call me daddy...they'll be punished later" interview, I have some...concerns, about the Mets clubhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

God his swing is so bizarre.

It looks like he's generating all his power from his hips, which is just the strangest goddamn thing.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Berzerker posted:

I think they said he's throwing with a pitch limit of 60 so I'll assume he goes ~4 and then maybe Tepera goes ~2 and then cobble together the rest with the rest of their ten man bullpen

Ah that makes more sense

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Cody Bellinger has no bend in his knees for his swing, how does he generate any type of power

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/860932257133080577

V: I'm going to actually die.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh boy

https://twitter.com/JoeTrezz/status/860934690043297793

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

he might be out til August, yikes

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves beat writer Mark Bowman has been tweeting out some cheery stats, including that the Braves have the worst ERA in the majors and the worst ERA at this point of the season since 1990. Also, this gem on lineup construction:

Brandon Phillips is having a solid season but he has tanked in the 2-spot, vs. being very good around the 6-spot. I don't think Snitker would ever bat Freddie 2nd, so barring Markakis moving up there, it's likely to just remain an abyss most of the year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
So this is what a near heart attack looks like

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've watched this probably a dozen times but all I can think of is how loving garbage that pitch was.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

he might be out til August, yikes

I think 8 weeks was about what people were expecting so this isn't a huge surprise. Still sucks though.

e: and considering the Mets medical staff takes a mountain of poo poo (mostly deserved) for rushing players back they're right to go slow with the club's ace.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 6, 2017

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

I've watched this probably a dozen times but all I can think of is how loving garbage that pitch was.

seriously.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just wanted to say I had a great time hanging out with Inspector_666, Pancakes, and RD Mangles this afternoon. Let's do it again sometime. :cheers:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just wanted to say I had a great time hanging out with Inspector_666, Pancakes, and RD Mangles this afternoon. Let's do it again sometime. :cheers:

Don't forget Ice Fist!

But yes, good times.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Don't forget Ice Fist!

I had forgotten his forum name, since he doesn't post in baseball threads.

Enjoy Wrigley! Maybe today's game can feature the Yankees losing in soul-crushing fashion instead of the other way around.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Inspector_666 posted:

God his swing is so bizarre.

It's in that uncanny valley between a goofy baseball swing and someone loving around with a long iron on the driving range.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:cheers:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I was there too!

Watching. And taking notes.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

rickiep00h posted:

Not necessarily disagreeing but why? It was 96mph high, possibly out of the zone. Hardly a meatball.

On another note, I'm very pumped to be going to Sale vs Santana tomorrow. Ice Phoenix, any chance you're going?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Anyone goon go to any of the "Pitch Talks" events? It's in Philly next week and I'm debating if I should go. Anyone read Keith Law's "Smart Baseball?" He's peddling it and I'm wondering if there's anything new and exciting in it or its just classic Kieth Law?

http://www.homestandsports.com/upcoming-shows/2017/5/8/pitch-talks-philadelphia

Just got cancelled

:smith:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Eric Thames has really come to earth the last week. Sample sizes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Not necessarily disagreeing but why? It was 96mph high, possibly out of the zone. Hardly a meatball.

In a situation where a giving up a home run loses you the game the last thing you want to do is throw a high fastball down the middle, particularly on a 1-2 pitch.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dear friends,

Please vote for the Brewers man or something for NL catcher. Vote Seager for short because hell even I did. Vote for Thames just because people's desperation to build narratives as early as April is funny (see also: Trevor Story, April 2016). Just don't vote for any Giants, because they simply don't deserve it.

I'm sure this won't be a problem for many of you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
A couple times in this series I've noticed that the pirates pitchers are wearing hoodies or jackets whole running the bases. I would have assumed it was illegal to wear anything more than your uniform. Is that allowed?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

A couple times in this series I've noticed that the pirates pitchers are wearing hoodies or jackets whole running the bases. I would have assumed it was illegal to wear anything more than your uniform. Is that allowed?

Jackets are allowed, it's common for pitchers to wear one on the basepath when it's cooler. Because pitchers are fragile and will shatter if they get chilly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

They changed the rule back in 2008 or 2009 to allow pitchers to wear jackets on the bases. They're the only players who are allowed to do so.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Jackets are allowed, it's common for pitchers to wear one on the basepath when it's cooler. Because pitchers are fragile and will shatter if they get chilly.

cool. love how pitchers take the phrase "stay warm" literally and wrap their arms in towels and poo poo instead of, you know, moving it around to keep blood flowing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/861024183282749441

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Are dugouts typically heated in any way or is the pitchers wearing jackets thing just a weirdo thing that's like, "well I can so I guess I will??" like footballers wearing that elastic stretchy tape that was trendy in the Prem like 5 years ago

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Are dugouts typically heated in any way or is the pitchers wearing jackets thing just a weirdo thing that's like, "well I can so I guess I will??" like footballers wearing that elastic stretchy tape that was trendy in the Prem like 5 years ago

More like when someone will ride a stationary bike on the sideline than magic tape, it does serve a purpose. Well, I don't know the science, maybe this is bullshit and does nothing but the idea is to keep their arm as warm as possible since getting warm and cooling off supposedly isn't good for you.

Sometimes you'll see a pitcher not bother to put the jacket on all the way, just on their throwing arm.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Enjoy Wrigley! Maybe today's game can feature the Yankees losing in soul-crushing fashion instead of the other way around.

Oh I certainly enjoyed it :kheldragar:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Waffles Inc. posted:

At least in the newer parks, dugouts are absolutely heated-in addition to having the torpedo-style heaters that the NFL uses on sidelines. With that said, it's not like they keep it 68°.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grittybeard posted:

More like when someone will ride a stationary bike on the sideline than magic tape, it does serve a purpose. Well, I don't know the science, maybe this is bullshit and does nothing but the idea is to keep their arm as warm as possible since getting warm and cooling off supposedly isn't good for you.

Sometimes you'll see a pitcher not bother to put the jacket on all the way, just on their throwing arm.

That's just it, "keeping warm" is just an idiom describing the sensation of heat one perceives when there is increased blood flow in an area. Keeping your arm physically hot is not doing anything to actually keep the joint lubricated and blood flowing. They'd be better served doing some dynamic stretching with a 2lb dumbbell. But baseball players are super routine-oriented so even if every sports trainer in the world knows this good luck convincing a pitcher to change his ways.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/861056068901900288

someone needs a time-out.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The ump's reaction is perfect. :)

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Dude has a point, that call sucks poo poo

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Timby posted:

They changed the rule back in 2008 or 2009 to allow pitchers to wear jackets on the bases. They're the only players who are allowed to do so.

That has been allowed for a looooooot longer than that. Like since the 90s at least.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Here's Jesse Orosco wearing a jacket on the bases in the '86 World Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmODgrzd_b8&t=8613s

iKickDogs fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 7, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Brett Anderson to DL with aggravated suckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

cis autodrag posted:

That's just it, "keeping warm" is just an idiom describing the sensation of heat one perceives when there is increased blood flow in an area. Keeping your arm physically hot is not doing anything to actually keep the joint lubricated and blood flowing. They'd be better served doing some dynamic stretching with a 2lb dumbbell. But baseball players are super routine-oriented so even if every sports trainer in the world knows this good luck convincing a pitcher to change his ways.

It's not going to necessarily help with injury prevention but keeping the temperature of the muscles raised via layers does help with ease of muscle contraction and fine motor function.

• Locked thread