Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

I won't believe your lies.

How loving long does it take to cycle the drat companion list? I failed Gilgy 3 hours ago and I still don't see who I used last time on there. I've restarted the app, and fun Earth Shrine to try to cycle...

Once you use someone it's usually at least 3-4 hours before I can get them to show up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Cartoon Man posted:

Don't fall for this ever, it's a Lapis trap. Wait till the next King Mog event, there's one every month.

Yeah I figured it might be and as you say, the next event won't be far off. I'll probably spend the rest of today chuckling to myself and humming 'Come on Aileen...' from that cliche 80s song.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ratzap posted:

I bring you a tale from the luck side today. One of those "I thought it could never happen to me" moments.

Doing my daily log in tasks I flipped over to summon for the daily. It threw me a blue crystal as usual and I thought "ho hum, another Fran?" and tapped it. It turned into a yellow crystal. "OK", I thought "this is unusual. Maybe it'll give me something handy". So I tapped it and it turned into a rainbow crystal. I kind of stared at it gobsmacked for a couple of seconds then thought "Meh, it's just teasing. It'll be some garbage or other". I tapped it, it swirled and up came a unit I'd never seen before and frankly not even heard of (I don't really bother chasing the news or scanning spreadsheets). I thought I'd better look this up and see if it's any use, swiped back to the summon banners and there she was looking at me. "Oh, I pulled the main banner unit..."

:stonk:

There's even a bundle to get her to 6 star. So keep on hoping guys, it CAN happen and one day, it might happen to you.

Counterpoint: I pulled a Shadow today.

I'm back in after quitting for a bit, since there was an FF6 event. Got myself a Trance Terra and fished up enough stuff to get her, Cecil, Terra, and Firion to 6*. Had I known I was going to get a Trance Terra, I'd have done Kefka, but I'll do him next time.

What should I be doing? Mostly just work my way through the story to get better gear? I'm still on the first island, story-wise.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Why Cecil instead of Snow for the dragon? Just backup heals?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Echophonic posted:

What should I be doing? Mostly just work my way through the story to get better gear? I'm still on the first island, story-wise.

Just burn through the story.

If you like, set up a No-Lapis TM Macro to run overnight and farm up Trust Rewards while you sleep, so you don't waste energy. But don't worry about it if that sounds like a hassle or too obsessive.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shoenin posted:

Outside not hitting it with Water/Ice so it doesn't counter with a fire res attack, and bringing Minfilia for that gently caress you confuse/offbrand Barfiraga,

what else does he have for nasty tricks?

He has some kind of gently caress-of big attack that might trigger at 10% or some other mystery trigger. It dropped my Cecil from full, but that doesn't change the fight. Mostly just ruins a no death run if you're tickling him down for an LB kill.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BDawg posted:

Why Cecil instead of Snow for the dragon? Just backup heals?

Backup heals, can wear helms & heavy armor which makes getting him over 100% fire resist a lot easier. Snow has poo poo for gear options. Also Cecil can use BarFira just in case. Cecil is more useful in the Plant fight too.

Echophonic posted:

I'm back in after quitting for a bit, since there was an FF6 event. Got myself a Trance Terra and fished up enough stuff to get her, Cecil, Terra, and Firion to 6*. Had I known I was going to get a Trance Terra, I'd have done Kefka, but I'll do him next time.

Definitely get through the story. There's a lot of good items to be had from Silver Chests and the various Vaults. The most recent vault(Aurora) for instance has the Dragon Shield as a reward which is the only Light Shield that grants fire resist making it very useful for the current event. Also try and hit the missions as you go, they should be pretty easy to do if you have T.Terra at max level.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 6, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, using friend point unit Mel you can glitch the game and AOE elixir...

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/69cvri/mel_and_salve_ability_again/

Megalixir!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol, using friend point unit Mel you can glitch the game and AOE elixir...

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/69cvri/mel_and_salve_ability_again/

Megalixir!

There is a 5 star chemist later down the line that has a skill boosting how much recovery items restore, and this basically makes them amazing as thats aoe phonix down revive, aoe turbo ethers that restore mp to full, and aoe Hyper.

Provided gumi never ever decides to fix this.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Thanks Dana!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is it worth it to try a 11 pull on this banner if my best damage dealers are Noctis and Setzer?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

almost definitely not

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is it worth it to try a 11 pull on this banner if my best damage dealers are Noctis and Setzer?

Hell no. The one year anniversary is coming up which have all kinds of interesting options. We may also get Tidus and Rikku before then and that is one banner you are going to want keep pulling on until you get Rikku. Rikku is almost going to be a requirement for upcoming trial bosses.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, Tengames, for letting me beat Greg with the proper party.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Dana Crysalis you are at capacity. If you get a slot freed up can you friend me?

878 326 285

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I hate these alcryst. Why couldn't they have given us a separate inventory for them?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I knew those 40 skill awakening inventory slots were going to annoy people. That's why I invested the story Lapis in them the second I finished the newest update.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nuebot posted:

I hate these alcryst. Why couldn't they have given us a separate inventory for them?

:homebrew:

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

hagie posted:

Dana Crysalis you are at capacity. If you get a slot freed up can you friend me?

878 326 285

Freed up and request sent!

MohShuvuu posted:

Thanks Dana!

You're welcome! :unsmith:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i actually finally finished my bracer and i discovered it only gave my gilgamesh something like six more attack than the much reviled cold snap. which is fine, since that bracer is really for olive anyway. i just think it's sort of funny that people poo poo on cold snap so much and its really not that much worse than a pretty good piece of tm gear.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Khisanth Magus posted:

gently caress no.

rabidsquid posted:

i actually finally finished my bracer and i discovered it only gave my gilgamesh something like six more attack than the much reviled cold snap. which is fine, since that bracer is really for olive anyway. i just think it's sort of funny that people poo poo on cold snap so much and its really not that much worse than a pretty good piece of tm gear.

Bracer is also a ton of HP's. We poo poo on cold snap because it's a lovely, restrictive Ruler Ring. There aren't too many units who can actually use it well, so there's a narrow range of players that will find it useful. You need to have one of the few units that can use cold snap, and not have access to two better accessories for that character.

It's more comparable to the staff of wrath or priest crowns from that event, not the other unique item, secondary knife.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

. Nvm

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 7, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Lasswell: requiring twice as much XP to hit 100 as Rain because gently caress you, that's why.

All the main story characters are max level now, though! Tempted to try and figure out some strategies for killing endgame level content with them, but I think I'd need most of them to have their awakened abilities unlocked and I'm not ready to commit the materials to that yet.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Hey, I just tried to add you from the goon spreadsheet but I get a user not found when I punch in your code.

Oops. Must have fat fingered the code. It should be:

891 565 523

Would someone mind updating that for me? I'm currently on my phone and can't seem to update it from there.

My Orlandu is only at 623 dmg currently. Still working on him.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
A bit of future planning here... current top tier characters by role on Famitsu, which splits rankings between subroles. 3*/4* base are bolded. Chain attackers rely on multiple hits from multiple characters to stack the chain multiplier high (Setzer's Red Card or Orlandeau's Divine Ruination are good examples). Brute force attackers rely on big hits and penetrating defenses to get the job done (Olive's True Shot and Firion's Fin Briar are good examples). Chain casters typically rely on ancient magics (Freeze, Tornado, Flood, Burst, Quake) or awakened abilities (Tri-Beam Laser+2, Ultima+2) to chain. Provoke tanks attract attacks, cover tanks will move to intercept attacks, shield tanks place protective shields on the party, magic tanks attract and nullify spells.

Physical DPS
---------------------------------------
Brute Force: Cloud, Frost Flame Lasswell, Luneth, Noctis, Veritas of the Flame, Balthier, Randi, Nyx, DK Cecil, Beatrix, Knight Delita, Julian, Katarina, Gilgamesh, Firion
Chaining: Aileen, Orlandeau, Veritas of the Dark, Agrias, Tidus, Onion Knight, Beatrix, Nyx, Fohlen, 2B, Lorraine, Knight Delita, Prishe, Aura, Harid

The rainbow pool is filled to the brim with powerful physical DPS, which is why hardly any 4* units show up here. Agrias and Firion are going to be your workhorses if you have terrible luck. JP does not have Olive, but she'd probably be near the front of the brute force list. JP also does not have Fryevia, Yun or Elza, but they'd probably be near the front, middle and end of the chain list, respectively. Setzer would be just off the end of the chain rankings.

Magic DPS
Brute Force: Emperor, Dragon Lord, Lunera, Lulu, William, Victoria, Dark Fina, Shantotto, Kuja, Rem
Chaining: Ace, Lulu, William, Victoria, Shantotto, Lunera, Dark Fina, Trance Terra, Ashe

Shantotto has dualcast ancient magic after the FF11 event, which is why she's such a beast despite capping at 5*. Also note that several of these characters are also healers. Victoria is a great 4* catch from the first Veritas gacha, and unlike most other mages, doesn't need enhancements to wreak havoc.

Healing
Healing: Ayaka, Tilith, Eiko, Rem, Yuna, Y'shtola, Luka, Hunter Fina, Aria, Rikku, Refia, Kuja, Veritas of the Waters, Krile, Dragon Lord, Ashe
Mana Battery: Ramza, Roy, Ace, Zidane, Ayaka, Tilith, Lunera, Bran, Ilias

Tilith and Hunter Fina are must pulls when their events come around, especially since both are limited edition. There are quite a few casters that can Curaja, some dualcast. JP doesn't have Ling, but she'd be high on the mana battery list.

Support
Stat Boosting: Ramza, Roy, Soleil, Tidus, Crowe
Damage Mitigation: Crowe, 9S, Rikku, Sakura, Veritas of the Earth, Hunter Fina
Elemental Resistance: Marie, Rikku, Chloe, Minfilia, Garnet, Olan

Crowe and Rikku are 4* must pulls. Sakura is a storyline character, and you should level her.

Enfeeblement
Single Target Debuffs: Ramza, 9S, Tim, Lorraine, Orlandeau, Nyx
Area Stat Debuffs: Lorraine, Veritas of the Dark, Desch, Warrior of Light, Elfried
Elemental Debuffs: Ace, Seven, Veritas of the Flame, Balthier, Marie, Tim

JP doesn't have Ling, else she'd be high on the area stat debuff list - she's basically Lorraine without the killer offense. Tim is the 3* booby trap of the first Veritas gacha with Dark/Flame/Earth and Victoria - there's not a single bad character on that pull. Seven is great for softening up enemies for Fire/Ice/Lightning casters, but many casters can do this on their own, leaving her as as niche character.

Tanking
Provoke Tanks: Metal Slime, Wilhelm, Warrior of Light, Elfried, Veritas of the Earth, Ouga, Noctis, Snow
Cover Tanks: Gladiolus, Paladin Cecil, Mercenary Ramza, Charlotte, Rasler, Warrior of Light
Shield Tanks: Warrior of Light, Charlotte, Gladiolus, Rasler, Veritas of the Earth, Libertus
Magic Tank: Mistair, Gladiolus

Warrior of Light is the swiss army knife of tanks, and you should level him if you have him, as his 6* is Soon(tm). Charlotte is a support-oriented version of WoL that can mana battery, plus her Patriot shield from the storyline gives her Esunaga and she can do some basic magic tanking with enhancements... once she gets 6* in half a year. Rasler is the offensive version of WoL/Charlotte. Celes would be on the magic tank list if she had a 6* upgrade, but otherwise has extremely niche uses right now. Metal Slime is a 3* with a 5* max, but has 999 defense by default because Dragon Quest. Libertus is also a 3* with a 5* max, but has an excellent AoE mitigation ability... and you'll probably get him anyway while trying to pull Crowe.

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 7, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I actually really like Sakura's toolkit, I'm a bit sad she's 5* max.

AegisP posted:

Lasswell: requiring twice as much XP to hit 100 as Rain because gently caress you, that's why.

All the main story characters are max level now, though! Tempted to try and figure out some strategies for killing endgame level content with them, but I think I'd need most of them to have their awakened abilities unlocked and I'm not ready to commit the materials to that yet.
Just finished doing the same thing, no wonder I felt confused it was taking so long. I think it's trying to be a story thing ("Look how much harder it is for Lasswell" basically) but let's face it they just wanted to waste our resources.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Lani is my new Shadow.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Double posting for separate reasons.

Decided to do a single ticket pull off that Noctis banner. All morning I kept telling myself that today was going to be my day and I am going to pull a Noctis.

Load up the ticket, hit the pull button. I immediately turn it towards my 4 year old because he gets a kick out of tapping the screen.

DADDY ITS A RAINBOW!

ohshitohshitohshitohshit

He taps, I turn

Freyvia.

I'll take it. But just now I remember the 9000 moogles I tossed in the event. I don't think I have the TMRs to make this unit stellar, but she is a decent game changer for me. Suggestions on gearing?

Enhancer
Beret
Cupid Robe
Icy veins x2
Mag15
Mag10 x3

Best I can do at the moment...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thanks for posting that list Varance, it's a real shame we probably aren't gonna get liquid metal slime. i am holding out hope we'll get the nier automata collab since the game sold so well but I'm a little skeptical on that one too

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hagie posted:

Double posting for separate reasons.

Decided to do a single ticket pull off that Noctis banner. All morning I kept telling myself that today was going to be my day and I am going to pull a Noctis.

Load up the ticket, hit the pull button. I immediately turn it towards my 4 year old because he gets a kick out of tapping the screen.

DADDY ITS A RAINBOW!

ohshitohshitohshitohshit

He taps, I turn

Freyvia.

I'll take it. But just now I remember the 9000 moogles I tossed in the event. I don't think I have the TMRs to make this unit stellar, but she is a decent game changer for me. Suggestions on gearing?

Enhancer
Beret
Cupid Robe
Icy veins x2
Mag15
Mag10 x3

Best I can do at the moment...

Fryevia will be fine with that gear. You'll want to get her TMR sooner or later though because it's really drat good. Work on L&A if you are able to and want to use her for the long term.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

My TMR team the last 2 weeks or so has been

Chizuru
Cecil
Bartz
Agrias
Ludmille

I just swapped out Chizuru, for Ingus to get L&A going (currently 15% from getting the 5% unit specific moogles). I'm not sure if i should swap out Agrias instead or both Agrias and Chizuru to put in Ingus and Frevia...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks Tengames! Got all the stuff from Greg now.

My Orlandeu is at 722 ATK with Odin. Am I good yet? I've got some TMRs cooking for him but it's gonna be a little bit before they're done.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I got Bediled today and heavily considered uninstalling. What a system, the gacha.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

OH OF COURSE I would be a handful of 6* awakening mats to get Fryevia bumped up

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

WebDO posted:

I got Bediled today and heavily considered uninstalling. What a system, the gacha.

The conditioning to be optimal at all times which many gamers succumb to can actually make things like this worse. I feel you, dude. Don't give up (but certainly don't spend any money.)

I've never felt the need to be optimal, I've always enjoyed games where you make the best of a bad situation, survival games, "gimped" builds, not reloading if I "gently caress up" a story point or other choice, etc, and am generally a stronger player overall because of it. It's all habit, of course, and purely subjective.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with sticking with the rare-but-not-insanely-rare 3*/4* units, and it's probably the best strategy to shoot for. That's why I bolded them in the last post,

Yes, you're not going to be killing bosses in one turn, but a relatively good stock of lesser 6* units like Firion, Refia, Paladin Cecil, Chizuru, Setzer, etc. will get you through 99% of the game (and friend units will help you through that last 1%).

You really, really don't need rainbows to succeed. Rainbows are just quality of life enhancements.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
My favourite fight in this game remains Maxwell's Trial back when my party's only 6* unit was Cecil and my healer wasFina.

Uphill all the way.

Edit: Okay, I guess I had Refia at the time.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 7, 2017

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Are those lists from best -> worst? Because I feel like Greg is way better than 2nd to worst as a finisher. Snowpetal is a really good move, and his innate boosts and access to most of the gear in the game makes his TM options really versatile.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Varance posted:

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with sticking with the rare-but-not-insanely-rare 3*/4* units, and it's probably the best strategy to shoot for. That's why I bolded them in the last post,

Yes, you're not going to be killing bosses in one turn, but a relatively good stock of lesser 6* units like Firion, Refia, Paladin Cecil, Chizuru, Setzer, etc. will get you through 99% of the game (and friend units will help you through that last 1%).

You really, really don't need rainbows to succeed. Rainbows are just quality of life enhancements.
also its worth mentioning that no amount of TGCids and rare pulls are gonna save your rear end against a trial if you fail to oneshot the boss, but the boss has no issue one shotting you. Minfillia/cerius have been far more important to the latest trials then any rainbow DPS unit has been, and one of those was given away free with free equipment while the other is a base 3. Don't focus only on the super rare units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i almost never use my rainbows in really hard fights unless i can fit in an extra dps (this is very rare) in which case gilgamesh comes along. once i finish my olive she will definitely be my dps in those though, so i mean, it is nice to have rainbows. and the day when ramza becomes mega bard will be very nice

• Locked thread