Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Neither are Japanese words for any meaningful definition of "Japanese". They're not pronounced the same as the Japanese words of the same meaning they are derived from.

But tsunami is pretty much pronounced the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

But tsunami is pretty much pronounced the same?

About as much the same as smorgasbord and smörgåsbord. (I.e. not at all the same.)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tony Bologna posted:

The reason people like music is the same regardless of genre, attractive people. As a kid, adults used to be super impressed that I listened to "opera," but really Dmitri Hvorostovsky is just a beautiful man.

I like Tom Petty, this doesn't add up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Das Boo posted:

But I think we can all agree if said person is injecting Japanese words into conversation, he is likely a monster.

I do this, but only a skosh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tony Bologna posted:

The reason people like music is the same regardless of genre, attractive people. As a kid, adults used to be super impressed that I listened to "opera," but really Dmitri Hvorostovsky is just a beautiful man.

I love metal so much because people with Matt Pike's physique are frequently shirtless

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

About as much the same as smorgasbord and smörgåsbord. (I.e. not at all the same.)

No, tsunami is pronounced the same in Japanese and English.

Karaoke, that's a word pronounced differently enough to support whatever dumbass point you're trying to make.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Das Boo posted:

But I think we can all agree if said person is injecting Japanese words into conversation, he is likely a monster.

The term is kaiju, you uneducated gaijin.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tony Bologna posted:

The reason people like music is the same regardless of genre, attractive people.
I don't even know what most of my favourite musicians look like. :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I don't even know what most of my favourite musicians look like. :shrug:

There were a ton of people last time I went to see Crazy Cavan and the Rhythm Rockers and I'm pretty sure no-one in the audience would have boned any of them.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do you also get angry when people are described as 'entrepreneurs'? Perhaps you despise avalanches too? Or when someone mentions their fiancé? I know you're a posting extraordinaire, do you explode when people mention that film noir is the greatest genre, or that one should not flambé in the kitchen? Perhaps you slap away such fancy sounding entrees known as hors d'œuvres because they aren't called starters, or finger food? The cavalcade of french words in the english language is deeply entrenched, perhaps you didn't get the communiqué? Do you complain about such things to your chauffeur, because his resume said he was an excellent listener, the creme de la creme of the blasé conversationist?

Your post had a certain je ne sais quoi, I had to respond to your unpopular opinion in the form of a coup de grace. Such is the esprit de corps of the goon, and though camaraderie binds us all...c'est la vie, c'est la bon mot. You gave me somewhat of a carte blanche to post.

I have no doubt you are a connoisseur of true english words, and will appreciate the anglo nature of my riposte, I hope others are au fait with english and don't find my response too cliche.

Behold, a beautiful blast upon blaisé beliefs of the basic and bleary too breathtaking to besmirch. I bow before your exhaustive efforts as they break down the bullish attempt on my behalf to befoul the bourgeois attitudes of the body politic.

:golfclap:

edit: gently caress I go through all that effort to alliterate and forget to put in a markup symbol :shepicide:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think Beyoncé is overrated. And the whole "Beyoncé is the queen of everything forever" meme is played out.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

If you can spend hours on social media railing against The Wrong People then you have time to educate them.
Even if you have the time they might lack the ability or willingness to learn, thus negating your efforts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think Beyoncé is overrated. And the whole "Beyoncé is the queen of everything forever" meme is played out.

I feel like I didn't have to deal with this as much anymore when I got out of college but yes. She definitely makes music that's more interesting than most pop stars (Countdown in particular is built on really cool instrumentals) but the perceived infallibility is really weird.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

People who make fanart/fansites for media that hasn't been released yet are 100% doing it for the attention.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Astrofig posted:

Even if you have the time they might lack the ability or willingness to learn, thus negating your efforts.

So maybe don't get into arguments unless you're prepared to back them up, regardless of what they're about.

Also seven months, drat son.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Thing is though, even the best arguments will fail in the face of sheer stupid, and yet that same dangerous stupidity is what is gradually destroying this country. Maybe the best idea would just be to build a wall around all the stupids until they die off. Not like they're adding anything of value to the genepool anyway.

Seven months of what? Idgi....

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I feel like I didn't have to deal with this as much anymore when I got out of college but yes. She definitely makes music that's more interesting than most pop stars (Countdown in particular is built on really cool instrumentals) but the perceived infallibility is really weird.

It's basically a different kind of racism. White people like to put her on a pedestal like she is a perfect inhuman god or something. It's pretty hosed up to do that to a person in my opinion.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tony Bologna posted:

you really think everyone's tastes in music are based on how attractive the artist is? :laffo:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The_Rob posted:

It's basically a different kind of racism. White people like to put her on a pedestal like she is a perfect inhuman god or something. It's pretty hosed up to do that to a person in my opinion.

It's definitely not just a white girl thing though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

bradzilla posted:

you really think everyone's tastes in music are based on how attractive the artist is? :laffo:

No, but it can enhance the experience.

Also, consider this post a refutation of the claim that No band has ever managed more than about ten really good years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TBH I don't know what most of the bands I listen to even look like unless I see them live and even then it depends on how drunk I was.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only musician I started listening to mostly because of how they looked was Michelle Branch. I have no regrets though, I still listen to her stuff on occasion when I'm in the right mood.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started listening to Meatloaf because looking at him makes me so effing horny.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

No, but it can enhance the experience.

Also, consider this post a refutation of the claim that No band has ever managed more than about ten really good years.

Man is that Tom Waits?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

I started listening to Meatloaf because looking at him makes me so effing horny.

Meat Loaf is probably the worst concert I've been to which was super disappointing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't think religious schools should be a thing based purely on how damaging an authority figure exerting The Law of God can be, especially when a kid's in contact with them 40 hours a week for 13 years and mostly without parental supervision. It's way too much power for something that shouldn't be enforced in the first place. It also seems like everyone I know that went to a Catholic school came out an atheist, so good job there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Jerry Cotton posted:

Man is that Tom Waits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzwG3r9_L9o

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I don't think religious schools should be a thing based purely on how damaging an authority figure exerting The Law of God can be, especially when a kid's in contact with them 40 hours a week for 13 years and mostly without parental supervision. It's way too much power for something that shouldn't be enforced in the first place. It also seems like everyone I know that went to a Catholic school came out an atheist, so good job there.

I know one non-Atheist that went to Catholic school and she is Jewish. There just weren't any other good private schools in the area I guess.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know one non-Atheist that went to Catholic school and she is Jewish. There just weren't any other good private schools in the area I guess.

We had a few Jewish kids at mine :shrug:.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huey Lewis is a good looking man and his band is still going on

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I mean I went to one and came out gay so ymmv

(Disclosure: in all fairness it was an all-boys, Catholic military elementary school)

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

bradzilla posted:

It is unless you are the kind of person who listens to bad music. Chaka Khan, beautiful, great music. Robert Fripp, ugly, boring music.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Tony Bologna posted:

It is unless you are the kind of person who listens to bad music. Chaka Khan, beautiful, great music. Robert Fripp, ugly, boring music.

:swoon:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, tsunami is pronounced the same in Japanese and English.

Not quite, the way syllable accent works is different.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's been said before, and I may be biased as a suthna, but for the most part jastiger's opinions and the whole "nuke the south" meme actually mean "nuke minorities and poor people, they are so dumb"

The confederacy sucked, modern southern state governments suck, but y'all realize that for a government to suck it needs people to oppress?

Bless jastiger's heart

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Bless jastiger's heart

:iceburn:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The USA is too big and varied for its federal government to ever have the freedom to enact policy that makes anyone happy, liberal or conservative.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

europe tho

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ah yes, a land noted for its harmonious union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

The_Rob posted:

We do that because saying "I'm not a racist, I have a black friend" doesn't work any longer. We had to up our game.