Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

And at least blue assemblers are something you already build. Unlike gray assemblers which only exist to be the thing that goes into blue assemblers.

I started a new game and built exactly two gray assemblers, and that was just to automate tech early, and as soon as I got automation 2 they were replaced.

It's not as dumb as iron sticks, which exist only to require you to build one more assembler next to the assembler making rail tracks.

I strategically also put lamp and steel pickaxe production next to rail production so I don't need to build more iron stick factories :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Are you playing with the 0.15.x experimental build? If you are, the only resource that changes how the island looks is the water one (should be low frequency and very big size for Goon Island). Also it should drop you right in the centre of the island every time (you can see the whole island on the minimap, with a bit of the mainland appearing in the top right and at the bottom).

I had some trouble at the start getting the island when I was playing around with resources and thinking I had to put the map string in again, but after mucking about a bit tonight I've been able to get it working every time:

Play > New Game
Basic Settings tab: Preset doesn't matter. Paste the map exchange string into the box. Map seed will then appear.
Resource Settings tab: Change whatever you want in this tab, except for water which stays low frequency and very big size
Advanced Settings tab: Again, change whatever, it won't affect the island
Go back to the Basic Settings tab, the preset will now be "[whatever preset you picked] (custom)", the map seed will still be there, and the map exchange string will be gone (don't paste it back in again, that was stuffing me up)
Hit Generate, and voila, Goon Island

I don't think the preset you choose makes any difference, since the exchange string changes stuff in the resources and advanced tabs anyway (hence the "custom" label after you change things yourself).

Here is my Goon Island map exchange string, the only things I've changed are the resources are now back to the railworld defaults (very low freq, big size, regular richness). If you want to use this just plonk it into the box and hit generate.

Hope that helps :)

I'm apparently still on 14.23, I'll get right on that. 15.x is the recommended version here, not some crazy unstable dev-version, I'm assuming?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
.15 is on the early days of a public run so no promises on stability, but the hard crash stuff is usually fixed same day so 0.15.x is fairly safe.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only trick is when they change recipes, which they did a couple days ago for blue and purple techs.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I added my own upgradeable refinery setup to the Goongle doc.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I take it I've succeeded in generating goon island, but now it seems to me that this is rather small?

I read something about "landbridges", so it occurs to me that I'm gonna need some basic mods for this, but outside of a :blueprint mod", the OP doesn't really have details on that. Are there recommended mods or modpacks for this?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I take it I've succeeded in generating goon island, but now it seems to me that this is rather small?

I read something about "landbridges", so it occurs to me that I'm gonna need some basic mods for this, but outside of a :blueprint mod", the OP doesn't really have details on that. Are there recommended mods or modpacks for this?

The item is "landfill" and it's green tech and a lot of stone. It's vanilla.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
There is a landfill recipe in the base game that allows you to turn 20 stone to one block of landfill, like the previous mod.

Granted, I haven't generated goon Island yet but that doesn't seem right?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
thats goon island, before the terrorforming :getin:

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 6, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yup, that's Goon Island and there's plenty of space and resources to get nuclear power and purple and yellow science, even. There's a huge stone deposit on the southern end you can use to make landfill.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

zedprime posted:

.15 is on the early days of a public run so no promises on stability, but the hard crash stuff is usually fixed same day so 0.15.x is fairly safe.

the only hard CTD i've encountered in .15.x so far has been cars* and who cares about cars when you can have tanks

*specifically, you can build and place them, and then getting in them causes a CTD

e: does anyone have a basic one-reactor nuclear setup? all the layouts i see online are ridiculous 4-reactor monsters

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 6, 2017

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

President Ark posted:

the only hard CTD i've encountered in .15.x so far has been cars* and who cares about cars when you can have tanks

*specifically, you can build and place them, and then getting in them causes a CTD

e: does anyone have a basic one-reactor nuclear setup? all the layouts i see online are ridiculous 4-reactor monsters

There is a reason for that - while 1 reactor works as 1, 4 reactors work as 12. That's kind of an incredible fuel efficiency boost you don't want to miss out on.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

DmitriX posted:

There is a reason for that - while 1 reactor works as 1, 4 reactors work as 12. That's kind of an incredible fuel efficiency boost you don't want to miss out on.

i'm aware but it also takes a shitload of resources and i figure for Baby's First Nuclear Reactor™ instead of building the entire thing whole hog i'll start with one reactor and build up to the megamonster as i need more power

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

President Ark posted:

i'm aware but it also takes a shitload of resources and i figure for Baby's First Nuclear Reactor™ instead of building the entire thing whole hog i'll start with one reactor and build up to the megamonster as i need more power
If you can afford to, I suggest building four reactors but only fill one or two wings of turbines/tanks in. You'll still need a minimum of ~15 steam tanks to capture the heat of a single 4 fuel burn or you're wasting fuel. If you can capture a single burn completely and you have a modest factory of blue science you'll have multiple hours worth of power in the steam tanks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The whole increasing underground belt length for better belts is maybe the most feel-good change among an unlistable amount of improvements. I do a lot of belt bullshit and it makes sneaking underground belts through what is normally inserter right of way so much easier.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46646&p=268073#p268073 :rolleyes:

quote:

This one has already cost tens of hours across multiple players. Anyone who has more than one game going at a time (say, a single and multiplayer save) is affected.

1) Start a new game in single or multiplayer, play for a while, save game with custom name, such as "Yokozar May Game".
2) Start a separate new game.
3) Save the game -- and note how default save name is "Yokozar May Game". If you click "save" it will overwrite a completely different game, the previous one you were playing.

What should instead happen is a generated name that doesn't conflict with anything, such as "New Game 4"

moderator posted:

This is not a bug as it is working as intended, if you want it changed, make a development suggestion.
I seriously doubt the developers intended to make it super easy to erase your save.

Is there a way to reach out to a dev directly? The bug forum moderator is being silly.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i know they read reddit so try posting it there

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What the OCD moderator says is probably the best way in terms of Factorio forum. Not flushing the save name auto-populate probably meets some specification somewhere but its kind of dumb and only really coming to light in the brave new multiplayer world that's hit critical mass in the last couple of patches. When you have that sort of Factorio OCD, better stick to the OCD forum organization.

And yeah, reddit might help if you can reach upvote critical mass.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

President Ark posted:

code:
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
It's not pretty but it's mostly optimized and works fine, includes a cell generator and recycle-majig :)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
e: nm..

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is there a link to this Goon google doc of blueprints?

im a lazy fucker

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

im a lazy fucker

been looking for this myself

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bhodi posted:

If you can afford to, I suggest building four reactors but only fill one or two wings of turbines/tanks in. You'll still need a minimum of ~15 steam tanks to capture the heat of a single 4 fuel burn or you're wasting fuel. If you can capture a single burn completely and you have a modest factory of blue science you'll have multiple hours worth of power in the steam tanks.

Why do people do this? The guy just said he doesn't want to build four because it costs an exorbitant amount of resources. Forget efficiency and all that, he wants to start off with one and build up to four. The only thing helpful in this post was the amount of steam banks he needs to capture the entirety of the energy output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Eh7sz1Pik&t=645s

KatherineofSky has an amazing nuclear reactor setup video. Feel free to watch the entire thing, but I paused it where it shows the ratios required for one nuclear station.

For the lazy

MrYenko posted:

im a lazy fucker

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UC9oTYiTcdsG1pTxGWxrdbOvf-FqLRs0ClsYA2DekNk/edit?pli=1#gid=1058988126

Y'all fuckers better add to it. Goon Blueprint library must grow and overshadow all other meagre libraries.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwVHGs2mds_XRUVCekwxYnNldnc?pageId=118385990598174182887 Here's KatherineofSky's personal blueprint library. I personally haven't used it, cause I know if I do I'll probably never add to the Goon library. But whatever, she's got tonnes and they're all probably fantastic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Loopoo posted:

Y'all fuckers better add to it. Goon Blueprint library must grow and overshadow all other meagre libraries.

You do not want this from me. All belts lead to spaghetti.

Thanks for the link, though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

MrYenko posted:

You do not want this from me. All belts lead to spaghetti.

Thanks for the link, though.

No problem, and I mean, if you think a blueprint isn't worth adding or doesn't beat a pre-existing design, don't add it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
How do you handle multiple trains and unloading? Seems infeasible to run a line for every resource.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

How do you handle multiple trains and unloading? Seems infeasible to run a line for every resource.

You can totally run a line for every resource. Between iron, copper, coal, stone, oil and now uranium it's not that many to build, just set out station terminals in parallel and run the belts under the other rail lines.

If you're producing a lot of other stuff off-base you should be deep enough into the robot game that you can have general unloading stations unload into active provider chests and have bots sort them out, but you'll need enough to sort hundreds of items in seconds.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dirk Pitt posted:

Each resource gets its own stop, but they share the track otherwise. You need signals to make that happen. Train signals require a bit of figuring out, but luckily there's a tutorial for that now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

Each resource gets its own stop, but they share the track otherwise. You need signals to make that happen. Train signals require a bit of figuring out, but luckily there's a tutorial for that now.

And once you get over the initial fear of trying to understand them, they're actually very, very simple. I remember when I first got into using trains, signals mindfucked me so hard. But now it's second nature and I scratch my head wondering how I ever got confused by it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a "core" double-line and then everything just branches out from there. I run a strict right-hand-drive on my railways, so trains can never meet head to head.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I'll try and add my main train junction- 4 ore on one side, 4 for fluids in the center, and 4 for ore on the other side for a total of 12 stations to play with. Each station has 2 waiting bays, and a train going into the group of four can move to another station if there is a train already there. I seem to have solved the merging problem as the trains leave the stations, but it may be over-engineered at this point.

Also will add the 4 lane/4 way junction that comes out of the bottom for the higher traffic area.

Since I'm phone posting, is there a command that zooms out further? It's much larger than the normal zoom size.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Made the mistake of tearing down my entire factory so that I could rebuild it nicer. Now all my assemblers and belts are in neat little chests, and I don't actually have a clear plan for rebuilding nicely ;_;

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dirk Pitt posted:

Wait, you mean as a rail line or as a belt line.................................

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

M_Gargantua posted:

Wait, you mean as a rail line or as a belt line.................................

I meant as a big line point to point. The unloading infrastructure takes up a lot of space. I guess I will do like Collateral Damage and run two main rails and at my factory branch some stops with infrastructure to unload and ship to my smelters.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ShadowHawk posted:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46646&p=268073#p268073 :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt the developers intended to make it super easy to erase your save.

Is there a way to reach out to a dev directly? The bug forum moderator is being silly.

"That's not a bug, if you want it changed you need to make a specification change" is the sort of software development bureaucracy that doesn't really have a place when you are developing a game and ordinary people are playing the beta. Jeez.

redleader posted:

Made the mistake of tearing down my entire factory so that I could rebuild it nicer. Now all my assemblers and belts are in neat little chests, and I don't actually have a clear plan for rebuilding nicely ;_;

The perfect factory is the one that exists in my mind. The moment I have to put down any part of it I am making a compromise with reality and it's no longer perfect.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So on my rail world game I've taken to using the car to get between my outposts. To facilitate this I'm building concrete roads all over the place, to mark where I cleared trees and rocks out of the way. The car isn't as fast as getting a train and setting it to go where I want, but I can freely change direction, and I can be much more liberal with my road network since I don't have to worry about messing up the pathfinding with loops. The train network is a strict tree but I can build roads wherever I want to be going.

Plus, you know, pave the world.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

redleader posted:

Factorio.txt

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
idea for remote powering outposts:

have a regular steam stack but leave off the steam engines - put the steam in tanks and load onto short (1 engine + 1 tanker) train - insert train into train network

outposts have a pump and tank powered by 1 solar panel and a couple of accumulators, tank connected to enough engines to power outpost

useful for outposts that you can't be bothered running power lines to.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That sounds a lot more complicated than just running power lines over to an outpost, and also it's really silly that steam can be transported like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id like some way to burn oil instead of turning it into solid fuel