Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Kid chat. Move along.

oh my god, tiny (not really) babies! #3 arrived yesterday and everything is awesome. She's great, mom is great and we just came home a few hours ago. Im still freaking out trying to make sure I can hear her breathe while she's sleeping. And let's not go down the anxiety-laden hole that is "what if something happened to me or someone in my family?" I may need a therapist....

Anyways, it's great, I'm super stoked and she is awesome. :3:

Edit: also, you want a fitness routine? Watch the Barkley marathons on Netflix. :stare:

Congrats! Hooray, another future AI'er!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Congrats we have talked about number three as a possibility because why not YOLO

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good job on having functional plumbing!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Holy poo poo. Any organic chemists around?
I just tried to clean up some black vegetable sludge from potato sweet potato and onions with some orange oil spray. It reacts. Nothing visible but it's nasty. I was suffocating and heaving and my lungs were burning. It gave my SO an instant headache and she was in another room.

Congrats on the baby. I wish you a lifetime free of public embarrassment.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

General_Failure posted:

Holy poo poo. Any organic chemists around?
I just tried to clean up some black vegetable sludge from potato sweet potato and onions with some orange oil spray. It reacts.

I don't know anything about chemistry, but I like it when my sweet potato casserole has orange juice in it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

June chat thread: all my friends are having babies

Congrats on the new addition! We are currently at 33+ weeks with our third, so next month is go time. I have so much to do and not enough time to do it. Our sister in law just delivered their fourth about a week ago. Babies everywhere man.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Very good.

Vaping jackass somewhere nearby in the theater who couldn't stop sucking robodong long enough to watch it: should be drawn and quartered.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

20 hours a week is a lot of loving video game time! I still want to play them, but maybe like an hour a day at most.

I've lost 20lbs in two months. I've cut all sugary juices out of my diet and all fried food. Previously I ate fried chicken 3 times a week, 5 Guys twice a week etc. I buy and eat fruit, low calorie foods, cook at home 5 days a week now.

For exercise I hit the elliptical every day for 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes depending on how much time I have. Three days a week I'm doing a basic weight routine.

The biggest change is I got off my rear end and decided to make a goddamned change. Anyone who knows me in person can attest to how lazy I was, I didn't want that anymore. My friend's murder was a major motivator to make this happen.

And I'm 5 pounds away from my 90 day goal and I have an entire month left to hit it.

Nice man. I got rid of sugary drinks entirely when I found out I had the beetus - I'll have a soft drink once or twice a month, but otherwise I mostly drink water. I try to avoid fried foods too (but I slip up with a chicken fried steak a few times a year). But I don't cook nearly as much as I should.

5 minutes on an elliptical has me begging for death. I can handle about 45 minutes on the treadmill so long as I don't get beyond jogging.

I'm sitting at 190, but I haven't been exercising much. Finally got the new door code for the fitness center at my apartments, I keep telling myself I'll use it more than once every few months. :sigh: They have a couple of treadmills, a couple of bikes, and an elliptical in there.. plus some weights. I'd like to get down to 150-160. I have no excuse not to go there except for laziness - it's probably a quarter mile walk, or a 2 minute drive at parking lot speeds. There's also a lot of trails within a couple of miles of me - I wouldn't call them "hiking", more like a walk/jog around a lake, but they're walker friendly, and bicycle friendly. If I drive a bit further I can find some really nice stuff

Tomarse posted:

Is anybody else here using a fitbit? I want more fitbit friends! This week me, my sister and a mate did the fitbit workweek challenge and it was fun and got me out walking more! (and I'm in the lead by 2k with 1 hour left after a 3 mile hike thisafternoon!)

I have one, but don't use it nearly enough. I've found it winds up counting a shitload of steps while I'm driving unless I keep my left hand off the steering wheel (I should probably get my tires re-balanced... or... well, since they're legally bald, new tires). If I can keep it from counting steps while driving, I average about 8k a day. Used to knock out 15k+ when I worked at Pizza Hut.

There's several nice trails around me that are both walking and biking friendly (I wouldn't really call it "hiking" when it's just a trail around a lake). I need to take my bike out to some of them.

fake edit: huh, I just now noticed you tried to add me on fitbit... last year. :v: Shows how often I actually go to the website.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Very good.

Vaping jackass somewhere nearby in the theater who couldn't stop sucking robodong long enough to watch it: should be drawn and quartered.

This is why if I'm going to the movies, it's usually Alamo Drafthouse. They'll kick your rear end out if you so much as pull your phone out of your pocket and I love them for that. Also, no ads; they do 30 minutes of pre-movie programming, but it's all in-house stuff. They'll promote their own upcoming shows, but none of the typical ads you typically see.

They're running Super Troopers next week, with proceeds benefiting a foundation that helps families of first responders killed on the job :patriot:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 6, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I installed Strava. A week ago. I'm going to try to get out on the bike tonight, even if it's only a little 2-3k loop.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cakesmith handyman posted:

I installed Strava. A week ago. I'm going to try to get out on the bike tonight, even if it's only a little 2-3k loop.

Post link so I can kudos

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I've mentioned that I went to a tiny as hell high school. It'd be a magnet school today; in the 90s, it was essentially the private school for those with severe ADD (along with a bit of kids that got kicked out of alternative schools).

Looked up my favorite teacher the other day. He's on facebook. He got old. We're friends now.

He starts sending me links to random 80s post-punk music videos. Cool, he has awesome taste in music! Finally says "smoke before you watch this"

Me: "tobacco or weed? :haw:"

Him: "BOTH"

It's been 23 years since I had a class with him, but suddenly his teaching style makes so much more sense. Also weed in NM is apparently really cheap. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 6, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Post link so I can kudos

^ and he will. Without fail.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

We're dog watching for the weekend and rascal is on the case

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That dog is obscenely attractive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm at COTA rn and the Ford GT sounds really bad but almost everything else is awesome so it's ok

I sat in a GT350 and I fit pretty well. I'm in ❤️

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm at COTA rn and the Ford GT sounds really bad but almost everything else is awesome so it's ok

I sat in a GT350 and I fit pretty well. I'm in ❤️

I didn't think it sounded that bad. We saw them run May of last year at Laguna Seca and, to me, sounded like a pack of angry bees.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I just scheduled my student loan payoff payment. Feels good, time to finance a truck!

J/k, half is going to my wife's student loans and half to an IRA.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

we had a field trip to the top of a mountain thursday. my professor heavily recommended we carpool into vehicles that were 4wd, and even more preferably suvs with high ground clearance..

my response was to drive my sw20, which has a 1.5 inch drop from stock, up the beat-to-poo poo dirt road instead. no problems. in fact i ascended and descended faster than anyone, without bottoming out. i guess the years of driving on vermont and upstate new york dirt roads taught me a thing or two.

should i get another sw20 and turn it into a rally car.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Or your professor is one of those millions of idiots who think you need a SUV as soon as the road is unpaved.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My younger brother had been sending fuzzy barely focused pictures of their new dog for the last couple of days.

In response my parents started sending pictures of their brand new cockerpoo puppy. Also fuzzy.

And I will go for that ride after I've put the kids to bed, promise.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Or your professor is one of those millions of idiots who think you need a SUV as soon as the road is unpaved.

to be fair the road was super hosed, lots of places where water runoff had created pretty deep channels that prolly lots of people would bottom out on in a regular car if they didn't know how to approach them right. i doubt most college students have much experience with that kind of thing. i do though, so gently caress 'em.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
And that's why Forza Horizon 3 as part of the curriculum in any study is good.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I feel like an idiot.

3 weeks ago while commuting home in my DD the battery charge light came on. I figured my alternator was dying since the car has 188k on it. Since replacing it would be a pain in the rear end (Either have to pull the front bumper/headlights or intake manifold) I parked the car for a weekend I could work on it, and used my weekend car to commute.

Today I go out to test the voltage to confirm my diagnosis of bad alternator, pop the hood and get to the terminals, and my positive post has all sorts of corrosion on it. Why didn't I check this first? I cleaned everything up really well and put it back together. 14.0 volts while running, 13.9 with the lights on.

I guess the moral here is, check for the easy poo poo first, don't just assume you know what the problem is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.strava.com/activities/973975493/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1494099768

Poor cakesmith, thought of cadence and died.

I won't poo poo up the thread with these in the future, promise.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Made the mistake of getting into my neighbor's old beater Mustang with a built 351, no seat belts in tiny bucket seats surrounded by steel and death, and he's basically driving with almost no traction flying through the gears and (kind of) slowing down on manual drum brakes. I was impressed and making GBS threads my pants at the same time wondering why the hell did I get into this car :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Made the mistake of getting into my neighbor's old beater Mustang with a built 351, no seat belts in tiny bucket seats surrounded by steel and death, and he's basically driving with almost no traction flying through the gears and (kind of) slowing down on manual drum brakes. I was impressed and making GBS threads my pants at the same time wondering why the hell did I get into this car :v:

That's weird; I thought by 1965 front belts were mandatory. My '65 Chevy has them (but not in the back), but my 1960 Ford doesn't. (Well, aftermarket ones have been added to both, but the '65 fronts are definitely factory)

I wonder if Chevy just started putting them in before they were mandatory, although that's not like them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Korwen posted:

I feel like an idiot.

3 weeks ago while commuting home in my DD the battery charge light came on. I figured my alternator was dying since the car has 188k on it. Since replacing it would be a pain in the rear end (Either have to pull the front bumper/headlights or intake manifold) I parked the car for a weekend I could work on it, and used my weekend car to commute.

Today I go out to test the voltage to confirm my diagnosis of bad alternator, pop the hood and get to the terminals, and my positive post has all sorts of corrosion on it. Why didn't I check this first? I cleaned everything up really well and put it back together. 14.0 volts while running, 13.9 with the lights on.

I guess the moral here is, check for the easy poo poo first, don't just assume you know what the problem is.

Been bit by lovely and/or shitted up terminals before. I feel your pain. Worst was I had my entire car shut down once because of it, back in my youth (early college), freaked out and called my dad out all the way from home (50 miles) to have him tell me to clean my damned battery terminals. So embarrassing, since I am supposedly a car guy.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Had to euthanize and bury my wife's horse today. Not a great day, but it had to be done.

But her mom agreed to come get (!) the kids and :frogsiren: keep them overnight :frogsiren:. So we'll actually eat out tonight like adults and such.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Been bit by lovely and/or shitted up terminals before. I feel your pain. Worst was I had my entire car shut down once because of it, back in my youth (early college), freaked out and called my dad out all the way from home (50 miles) to have him tell me to clean my damned battery terminals. So embarrassing, since I am supposedly a car guy.

I was on a first date once, and my car wouldn't start as we were heading to the bar afterwards. So I had to disassemble the clamp and try to clean it all up without an actual terminal brush or wire brush. Got it going, but I'm sure I didn't make the best first impression :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

That's weird; I thought by 1965 front belts were mandatory. My '65 Chevy has them (but not in the back), but my 1960 Ford doesn't. (Well, aftermarket ones have been added to both, but the '65 fronts are definitely factory)

Probably was, but the interior is completely gutted besides the seats, bare metal floors and could see the road through the hole for the shifter :v:

It's basically a drag car drivetrain wise, and he's just trying to decide what he's gonna do with the body, if he cuts it up for tubs it's obviously going to lose "Mustang value" once he makes it a race car. And obviously he would go with an auto for the strip as well.....He's just hung up on what to do. Funny thing is he just sold a Fox body set up for the strip and immediately regretted it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Probably was, but the interior is completely gutted besides the seats, bare metal floors and could see the road through the hole for the shifter :v:

It's basically a drag car drivetrain wise, and he's just trying to decide what he's gonna do with the body, if he cuts it up for tubs it's obviously going to lose "Mustang value" once he makes it a race car. And obviously he would go with an auto for the strip as well.....He's just hung up on what to do. Funny thing is he just sold a Fox body set up for the strip and immediately regretted it.

Sounds like it's an awesome daily driver just like it is now! I wouldn't cut it up and convert a 4-speed car to an automatic, but then again I don't really believe in having a car you don't like to drive on the street.

But it's not my car, so that's neither here nor there

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

I was on a first date once, and my car wouldn't start as we were heading to the bar afterwards. So I had to disassemble the clamp and try to clean it all up without an actual terminal brush or wire brush. Got it going, but I'm sure I didn't make the best first impression :v:

See, now if she (I'm assuming, no offense) were smart, she should be impressed that you fixed that poo poo with nothing.
I would be.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cakesmith handyman posted:

https://www.strava.com/activities/973975493/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1494099768

Poor cakesmith, thought of cadence and died.

I won't poo poo up the thread with these in the future, promise.

Metrics don't matter, you got out there and did it. Kudos given. Go do it again!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Would I be stupid to buy an E320 for $1000?
Neighbor renting next door has it. It's moved once. He says it won't start, meaning that it will not crank. It worked once to get it off the street and into the driveway to avoid getting towed off, meaning that it actually runs and drives. I figure it's starter, ignition switch, or some obscure German superior relay or something.
It's a W210, appears to be a later facelifted model. Don't know the exact year - was just bullshitting with him the other day.
Body seems to be in good shape. He says the interior is bad, because he went to school in AZ and it got sun-baked, but it looks OK through the windows (what I could see of it - they're storing crap in it.) Leather looks dry, but intact.

Interior shot didn't come out at all:

Only real damage I've seen:

Wikipedia says it should be a '99-'02, and a straight six.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

stay way way the gently caress away

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those are hellcars

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, that's from Mercedes Malaise period. Avoid

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Talk him down to $250, then teach yourself to hotwire a car.

And replace an entire wiring harness, by which I mean the starter wire. Maybe the brake light wires if you're feeling punchy or you live somewhere with inspections. Sell the wire you don't need to a scrappy for copper value.

For engine management, JB weld a swap-meet weber on the intake manifold after tin-snipping a hole in the hood to clear it. Sell everything in the interior, strip the door cards, permanently jam the windows in the upright position, sell the entire power window apparatus on eBay to afford the car.

Drift stitch all the old-man body damage, or better yet just remove the bumpers and sell those on eBay/to a recycler as cores.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Would I be stupid to buy an E320
Yes.

Darchangel posted:

for $1000?
Someone else's, eh. Your $1000? Hahaha...

• Locked thread