Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Prepick early and, if in doubt, ask them if they're ok with your pick before locking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Over the past week I've gone 7-2 with Thrall. He's still perfectly fine.

I've been playing with wolf build (great for enabling Li-Mings) but later I want to try a max-sustain build with Rabid Wolves/Ride the Lightning/Wind Shear/Grace of Air/Tempest Fury. It's probably silly but that build gets you 18 ticks of Frostwolf Resilience with a single QWE chain. Frostwolf Resilience is roughly 15% of your max health each activation. Rolling Thunder is probably more reliable than Rabid Wolves since a larger range makes it more likely that you get full efficiency out of Chain Lightning.

I think Thrall needs a minor talent review because he still has Envenom/Blood For Blood, and Ride the Wind at 16 is really never ever worthwhile to pick compared to Forked Lightning or Tempest Fury.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bamhand posted:

Yeah you're lucky to have 1 in 4 games be an even match.

The most common adjustment I see is 10-12, which is more than HL but not horrible. The 70 favored adjustments happen maybe 1 in 10.

Compare that to your chances of getting horrible QM comps and OW folks is what I'm saying. Especially now with the Varian/tassadar shenanigans.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dairy Power posted:

Yeah, I just worry that people will tilt because hotslog stats lol. I haven't really given him a chance since I've been back because of that. I'll play a few games with him and see how it goes.

He hasn't changed much from when I played him a year ago, though?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Dugong posted:

What's the best announcer pack?

NaZEEEEEEEEEEbo!

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Over the past week I've gone 7-2 with Thrall. He's still perfectly fine.

I've been playing with wolf build (great for enabling Li-Mings) but later I want to try a max-sustain build with Rabid Wolves/Ride the Lightning/Wind Shear/Grace of Air/Tempest Fury. It's probably silly but that build gets you 18 ticks of Frostwolf Resilience with a single QWE chain. Frostwolf Resilience is roughly 15% of your max health each activation. Rolling Thunder is probably more reliable than Rabid Wolves since a larger range makes it more likely that you get full efficiency out of Chain Lightning.

I think Thrall needs a minor talent review because he still has Envenom/Blood For Blood, and Ride the Wind at 16 is really never ever worthwhile to pick compared to Forked Lightning or Tempest Fury.

Good to hear! I used to do that self-sustain build when I had no support/ a support I didn't feel I could trust. I'd actually take Frostwolf's Grace on 7 from time to time, too. Worked out pretty well, though you definitely lose out on some poke.

Fuzz posted:

He hasn't changed much from when I played him a year ago, though?

Yeah, it's mainly that the meta has changed and he's currently at like 45% winrate on hotslogs. I usually try to pick heroes that people won't tilt over.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I accidentally rerolled a chest with a stim pack in it because it isn't blue or purple. Watched it roll off the bottom of the screen when it was too late :qq:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Abroham Lincoln posted:

NaZEEEEEEEEEEbo!

I'd prefer if the voicepack was his voice from those HotS cartoons. That would amazing. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Why are we limited to 3 loadout slots?

I say, knowing the answer is that this is Blizzard "We think more than 9 deck slots would be too confusing" Entertainment.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Whoa, there's more than one slot? I didn't even notice that, that's crazy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The HotS interface is genuinely baffling.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

go home hots youre drunk

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The HotS interface is genuinely baffling.

My favorite part is that the chat window covers up party invites except for like three pixels. Better pay attention!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dairy Power posted:

Yeah, I just worry that people will tilt because hotslog stats lol. I haven't really given him a chance since I've been back because of that. I'll play a few games with him and see how it goes.

He's at 50% winrate like basically everyone else except Medivh, so you'd have to be the biggest baby ever to complain about his stats. :v:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Lemon-Lime posted:

He's at 50% winrate like basically everyone else except Medivh, so you'd have to be the biggest baby ever to complain about his stats. :v:

there's a lot of heroes that are sub-50 winrate on hotdogs actually sir.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

The most common adjustment I see is 10-12, which is more than HL but not horrible. The 70 favored adjustments happen maybe 1 in 10.

Compare that to your chances of getting horrible QM comps and OW folks is what I'm saying. Especially now with the Varian/tassadar shenanigans.

I see 20+ more often than not as a Gold 1/Diamond 1 duo. Maybe it depends on where you are on the ladder. It's not uncommon for us to get bronze guys while the other team has like a master player.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hey all, I was going to ask what's the best way to get to player level 20 quickly for the associated World of Warcraft achievement. Turns out when you get your 20 free heroes, just play 1-2 quick match games with each to get them to level 2, each hero that reaches level 2 will raise your player level by one. :shobon:

The game seems pretty fun as well, though I'm obviously terrible and have played only a handful of matches so far.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ welcome buddy! /join SAGoons in game and party it up. You get bonus EXP for playing with friends and also for larger party sizes. Also Discord with goons makes things more fun. https://www.tinyurl.com/sagoons

bamhand posted:

as a Gold 1/Diamond 1 duo

Maybe that's it? I usually just say "don't care your rank" and end up with a mix of silver, gold and plat. I'm plat 2. Maybe the gulf between Silver 1 and Plat 1 is narrower than between Gold 1 and Diamond 1? In any case, I'd say 20 rank adjustment isn't bad for a G1/D1.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

chumbler posted:

Why are we limited to 3 loadout slots?

I say, knowing the answer is that this is Blizzard "We think more than 9 deck slots would be too confusing" Entertainment.

The "9+ slots are confusing!" was just an after the fact justification for being shortsighted and also too cheap to pay for a UI update/more art. I imagine it's just because they couldn't imagine most players would need more than 3 skins per character they liked that would need different sprays/mounts.

If people comment on it they'll probably expand it. Or let people buy more slots with shards/gold.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I just want a random option. Let me randomize a skin and mount and spray. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Coolness Averted posted:

The "9+ slots are confusing!" was just an after the fact justification for being shortsighted and also too cheap to pay for a UI update/more art. I imagine it's just because they couldn't imagine most players would need more than 3 skins per character they liked that would need different sprays/mounts.

If people comment on it they'll probably expand it. Or let people buy more slots with shards/gold.

If history is anything to go by, they will wait a year or two before adding the extra slots.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Opinion question, sort of related to the earlier discussion about effort levels and co-ordination. Am I a jerk for often not enjoying or wanting to engage in preforms with people of vastly different skill levels than my own? The situation that got me thinking about it was one with new/out of practice players, but the same really also applies to players vastly better than I am like JamesChrist or MisterHill. I will never, ever claim to be a hot poo poo HotS player, and I will certainly not bag on or yell at someone for being new. I find it so much more engaging, however, to play with and against people of similar skill that I just don't want to spend time in 4 or 5-stacks of people with vastly different experience/ability levels.

I feel weird about this, I don't want to exclude or ostracize people but I also don't want to sacrifice my fun for other people all the time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I just want a random option. Let me randomize a skin and mount and spray. :(

But then you have no guarantee of color coordination, and that is not acceptable.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

chumbler posted:

But then you have no guarantee of color coordination, and that is not acceptable.

I already have properly coordinated loadouts; I just also want to be able to play Chromie Roulette.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kyrosiris posted:

I already have properly coordinated loadouts; I just also want to be able to play Chromie Roulette.

The most dangerous game of them all.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I hope that the brawl-mode cockups aren't solely being done by Overwatch crossplayers, cause this weeks brawl basically replicates the Overwatch payload style of game and trickling in to fights one by one is like, the big Overwatch tactics no no.

I feel that tactic is just as viable in HotS as it is in Overwatch, but there is just something about a MOBA that makes a lot of people just do dumb poo poo when they should know better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Reverend Dr posted:

but there is just something about a MOBA that makes a lot of people just do dumb poo poo when they should know better.

For example, playing a moba.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mind over Matter posted:

players vastly better than I am like JamesChrist or MisterHill

The gently caress? :v:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mind over Matter posted:

Opinion question, sort of related to the earlier discussion about effort levels and co-ordination. Am I a jerk for often not enjoying or wanting to engage in preforms with people of vastly different skill levels than my own? The situation that got me thinking about it was one with new/out of practice players, but the same really also applies to players vastly better than I am like JamesChrist or MisterHill. I will never, ever claim to be a hot poo poo HotS player, and I will certainly not bag on or yell at someone for being new. I find it so much more engaging, however, to play with and against people of similar skill that I just don't want to spend time in 4 or 5-stacks of people with vastly different experience/ability levels.

I feel weird about this, I don't want to exclude or ostracize people but I also don't want to sacrifice my fun for other people all the time.

Nah it's normal to want things to be competitive and feel like you're both contributing and like there's a decent chance of the game going either way.
I kinda like that new-ish "suggested player at your skill-range" star in party finder.
But keep in mind playing with and against better players can be a good way to learn things as long as it's not someone too toxic or you're not so outplayed there's no room for learning.

It's also very common to see goons duck out of grups when they see that. Sometimes politely, sometimes with a raging 'ironic' "gently caress you all!"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wow Lúcio does a great job of carrying disparate skillsets but if you get caught it all falls apart. Butcher :argh:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

BrianBoitano posted:

The gently caress? :v:

You're better than me. I get that and see no reason to pretend otherwise.

Coolness Averted posted:

But keep in mind playing with and against better players can be a good way to learn things as long as it's not someone too toxic or you're not so outplayed there's no room for learning.

It's also very common to see goons duck out of grups when they see that. Sometimes politely, sometimes with a raging 'ironic' "gently caress you all!"

Yeah, I agree on both of these points. I'm not saying everyone has to be my equal exactly, and I feel playing with people in different skill ranges has made me better overall. But sometimes I just don't want that. I will never give the gently caress you, but I will duck out of groups that are unsatisfying. In fact it was doing that that that got me thinking on the topic.

On another note entirely, playing Kael'thas in QM is often an exercise in pain and respawn timers. I will never stop chasing that rare but wonderful Living Bomb dragon, though.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 7, 2017

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I really like the Valla VO "Well at least your gear won't lose any durability"

I am actually kinda shocked there isn't a Raynor/Kerrigan/Artanis voice over since they're all major characters in their own games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Spudd posted:

I really like the Valla VO "Well at least your gear won't lose any durability"

I am actually kinda shocked there isn't a Raynor/Kerrigan/Artanis voice over since they're all major characters in their own games.

I wouldn't be surprised if more announcers get rolled out alongside skins and mounts as the hot new chase cosmetic of choice.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

So Heroes of the Storm restarts my computer during load screens like 50% of the time. Until I can log back in and rejoin, my team has an AI running my character, which will probably be better at it than me.

I'm only actually here for the Overwatch poo poo, so it's not a huge deal to me, but I feel kinda bad potentially ruining other people's games? Even if it's just quick match or whatever. Is there a hero or role the AI is decent with?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if more announcers get rolled out alongside skins and mounts as the hot new chase cosmetic of choice.

I really hope so. I also hope they get cycled in as featured items buyable with gems.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

aegof posted:

So Heroes of the Storm restarts my computer during load screens like 50% of the time. Until I can log back in and rejoin, my team has an AI running my character, which will probably be better at it than me.

I'm only actually here for the Overwatch poo poo, so it's not a huge deal to me, but I feel kinda bad potentially ruining other people's games? Even if it's just quick match or whatever. Is there a hero or role the AI is decent with?

Something conceptually simple like raynor lili or ETC

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I've heard the ETC bot can be an absolute monster, though I don't know that I've seen it happen myself.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Richard Bong posted:

Something conceptually simple like raynor lili or ETC

It also helps if it's someone who doesn't get screwed by the bot 'choosing the wrong talent' which I think Raynor, Lili and ETC fit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I am so bad at playing warriors in ranked! gently caress!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Also double support seems to be re-entering the meta and now I kind of want to kill myself