Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

actually has there been a smart bin yet? because it's easy to imagine the pitch

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brunosmartcan/trash-can-vacuum-bruno-the-worlds-first-smartcan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

actually has there been a smart bin yet? because it's easy to imagine the pitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ&hd=1

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
dumpstr

no, wait, dumpstero

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 7, 2017

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Soricidus posted:

dumpstr

no, wait, dumpstero

sorry this already exists its called yahoo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lol it uses non-standard bag refills

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i thought trash compactors were the smart trash cans

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hifi posted:

i thought trash compactors were the smart trash cans

weren't those awful? the rich ppl I knew growing up seemed to hate theirs and I don't know anyone now who has one

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sniep posted:

weren't those awful? the rich ppl I knew growing up seemed to hate theirs and I don't know anyone now who has one

i have no clue. i've never seen one in my life

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hifi posted:

i have no clue. i've never seen one in my life

yeah talking about early 90s McMansion style poo poo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

looking on google there's forum posts from old people asking where they went and everyone else asking why someone would want one. and of course there's some psycho on youtube with like a collection of them smashing diapers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VaDeM0_b0w

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my brother's house has one but as far as they know it's never been used, and it was installed at least a decade before they bought the house

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they only have 2 tons of force? that's not even one tesla

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

you have to buy special bags, and taking your trash out less often is a terrible mis-feature

who wants to pay money to have a garbage can that smells 10x worse than usual?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a garbage can that smells 10x worse than usual

mlyp

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

was bruno the mute giant muppet that carried around oscar the grouch in a garbage can?

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Sniep posted:

when my parents built their house, those were in style at the time.

I think we used it for like one week.

I mean it's still there, but it's been there for 25 years now, and was used for maybe one week of that.

it was stupid.

There were also other things like "no organic matter" "no this and that" solely because of the "that poo poo rots in there and ranks up the drat place"

so in the end you had to have a normal trash can as well.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

oh boy a garbage can i only have to empty quarterly with super-dense bags that weigh a loving ton and are full of actively rotting months-old crap sign me up yo, i want a part of my house smelling like an apartment's garbage room

doctorfrog posted:

was bruno the mute giant muppet that carried around oscar the grouch in a garbage can?

yup

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

doctorfrog posted:

so pretty much http://www.clickhole.com/video/amazing-watch-how-one-startup-changing-way-we-get--5612

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hifi posted:

and of course there's some psycho on youtube with like a collection of them smashing diapers
Nice to see Schmorky doing well

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Nice to see Schmorky doing well

:newlol:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
wanted to be at a real keyboard when i responded, thanks for the info dump!

Sagebrush posted:

splitting your prototypes into "looks like" and "works like" variants is totally normal and expected in the design process
i never really know what's totally prevalent among ID/PD folks and what was the special split, good to know this is super common

Sagebrush posted:

when you bring people in for user testing, you say "ok, this is what it's going to look like, what do you think" and get their feedback, then "alright, now sit on this mechanical prototype and tell us how it feels." i'm simplifying that a bit, even -- sometimes you'll have pure mechanical prototypes that cannot be used without instruction (your brick example), and sometimes you'll have UX/ergonomics/affordance prototypes where you give it to the user and see what they do -- even the way they initially grasp some unfamiliar object when picking it up can give you tons of information -- and sometimes you'll have pure aesthetic models where you just ask people if it looks cool or swooshy or friendly or if they like the color or w/e.
I've seen the "unfamiliar object" one irl. i interviewed at a startup doing a chemical IoT thing, really really important that the test be done with the gadget "upright"

their first ID model they put in front of folks and the users just didn't get it, had the thing on it's side, rolling it back and forth, etc. like the designers thought it'd be 'natural' to put it one way, users did everything but. their next rev was this triangular thing with a fat base, much higher chance of the user thinking "up" was the same way as the deisgner

Sagebrush posted:

the process continues in a loop like that, getting closer and closer to the "real thing", until you either decide that the design's perfect (only very rare and elite design studios have that privilege) or you run out of time or money and have to ship (everyone else).

so yes, it's totally normal at an early stage to have a shiny plastic model that doesn't do anything but looks like what you want the thing to look like, and a real hacky looking thing with bolts and screws and wires sticking out everywhere that demonstrates how it works. these kicksharter guys have the first one, sort of -- they didn't even paint their 3d printed models, just left them the raw nylon -- but i didn't see any indication that they'd built a works-like model, that would at least show that they can heat up the coffee in the time they claim, that their cartridge-puncturing system works as described, etc. I assumed that was a site requirement, since to me a looks-like prototype of this sort of product, where the intended appearance is "a flat, unadorned plastic thing" and all the important functionality is internal, is like just barely above a rendering in terms of utility.
i've met pure, pure design folks who can't fathom engineering pushback. "we've wrapped fabric before, what's your issue?" "It's C2, what do you mean it can't be molded?!?" those are fun conversations

they COULD be pre-heating the metal outlet, so you're carrying around a block of super secret alloy at 45C in your pocket all day, but that invites more challenges than it solves

Sagebrush posted:

oh lol and with all that sperging i didn't even address this
when i was in school one of the other students was the son of some wealthy car dealer and when it came time for his thesis project, he built a solidworks model of the whole thing, sent the plans to a fabricator to have the pieces cut, took those parts to a welder to have them professionally assembled, and dropped it off at the powder-coater and went skiing for a week, while the rest of us were in the shops 18 hours a day. i think he spent like $4000 on it while most people's models probably cost a tenth of that, and the fit and finish was amazing. (the design itself was still just mediocre, ofc).
lol. guess it hadn't occurred to me that the point might not be the fabrication itself, big miss on my part there

the phrase that i never really got a working definition for as a lowly firmware guy was "design language," and by the end i was pretty sure the craftier ME's couldn't articulate one if they saw it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'd define a "design language" as the collection of characteristic forms, colors, textures, patterns, proportions, and other visual elements that make up the external appearance of a product.

a blunt way of putting it is -- it's why a porsche looks like a porsche and a lamborghini looks like a lamborghini. they're both similar products manufactured in similar ways and they have a similar purpose, but they look totally different. on the superficial level, the porsche uses a lot of rounded forms that blend smoothly into each other, but the lamborghini uses flatter surfaces that merge with sharper edges (chines). notice the rear fenders, the "hips" of the car -- on the porsche they're round and drape smoothly over the wheels. the lamborghini has a sharp crease that runs right along the center of that area and traces the edge of the car under the door.

now look at the air intakes in the front bumper. the edges of the hole in the porsche's are rounded, filleted off, and the whole thing forms one continuous smooth opening (or would if not for the license plate). the lamborghini uses sharp, angular forms for those openings, mirroring the sharp, angular language in the rest of the car.

you'll notice this general theme repeated everywhere: the mirrors, the headlights, the hood seam, even the door handles. each car has a "language" of specific forms, selected from the infinite field of geometric possibilities, and they reuse those forms over and over again. it's what ties the design together and makes it look cohesive. in contrast, a lot of riced-out modded "custom" cars just kind of use a grab bag of different languages, whatever the designers chose for each additional component, and they sometimes look like janky disjointed garbage.

obviously there's tons of this stuff going on -- much more than just the overall geometric forms like i've mentioned here. design language also includes color, pattern, macrotexture and microtexture (macrotexture = like a grille, microtexture = like knurling), logos, subassemblies (all cadillacs use the same headlight), yada yada yada.

furthermore, there's a whole thing to get into about the balance between aesthetic-driven language and function-driven language. like if you want to make a knife handle that's friendly and warm for the kitchen, maybe you make it deliberately recall a leaf or a water drop or something, with organic forms and subtle colors. but if you're making a power tool, the shape of the handle may be primarily dictated by functionality -- grips in these particular areas, bright colors so that it's easily visible, blunt rounded corners so it can take an impact, mechanical fasteners so that it's disassemblable for maintenance. all of those requirements define a particular language of their own, which you can then deliberately apply in other areas of the product, or spread across a product line, or even apply to a totally different product (like make a bbq spatula FOR REAL MEN that recalls all the expected language of an impact driver.)

on and on. i can sperg about this forever. but hopefully that gives you a decent idea of the term :)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
the thing about design is that there's a whole layer of discussions and decisions that aren't about what you see, but they inform the decisions into any cohesive end product whether it's industrial or entertainment or whatever.

anything that looks like a loving mess is probably at least partially because they didn't care to get a vocabulary going that informed the rest of their decisions.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
thanks, making it concrete with the two examples helped. as little as i could pick apart the two cars, its easier to take a common element and pull out the styling/design

and this bit

Maluco Marinero posted:

anything that looks like a loving mess is probably at least partially because they didn't care to get a vocabulary going that informed the rest of their decisions.
just reminds me of TV remotes with 8 different button styles mashed together. i've seen the engineering-heavy failure mode a la "ls in a GUI" too

idk it still feels like the wrong base for the analogy. like is a hard-edged feature on a porsche mirror "outside" the language? "inexpressible"?

if i'm designing OXO grip #56, what kinds of challenges could a designer hit that would require... 'modifying' the design language? 'extending'? 'spoonerizing'?? like it'll be black rubber with fillets somewhere, but is 'symmetry' part of it where the new tool needs to break that?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

putting the lamborghini mirror on the porsche would be outside the porsche's design language, yeah. like see the hard line through the center of the lambo mirror? there's no creases of that type (meaning two surfaces intersecting at that angle with that fillet radius) anywhere on the porsche. it would stand out as something different.

one of the basic concepts in creating a design language is that you need to heavily restrict your field. there are infinite possible forms you could use in your design, but you need to pick a limited number of those and stick to them. repeating the same elements over and over makes things feel consistent and complete. this is a really complex thing to teach -- like when i say "repeating an element" i don't mean just making the headlight outline shaped exactly like the mirror which is shaped exactly like the air vents or w/e. you can distort the shapes in certain ways while maintaining their character, like by keeping track of the radius of curvature of a form and its inflection points and maintaining those same general forms in other parts of the design.

if you try to analyze it like this, it gets really deep really fast, but i guess a good analogy would be like fonts in a printed document. a nicely designed document should limit its use of different fonts. i personally aim to use no more than two typefaces with two variants each (bold, italic, larger/smaller, etc). when people make a document with five different typefaces and each one has a bold and italic variant and three different sizes, it looks like disjointed garbage.

so anyway this sort of consideration to subtleties of form is what makes a well-designed object. edge fillets in particular are something i always look at, and it's really obvious when something was designed by a designer vs. hacked out by an engineer. trivial example:

in the first case you just click "fillet all", pick a radius, and call it a day. all of the fillets collide at every corner and you get this weird little ball-shaped surface that catches highlights weird and adds tension to the corner points.

in the second case, i've used a larger fillet on some edges and rolled a smaller fillet around the others. this creates two distinct surfaces with optical continuity. it feels better. serves the same purpose as fillet-all but this way is just better.

JawnV6 posted:

if i'm designing OXO grip #56, what kinds of challenges could a designer hit that would require... 'modifying' the design language? 'extending'? 'spoonerizing'?? like it'll be black rubber with fillets somewhere, but is 'symmetry' part of it where the new tool needs to break that?

any kind of functional requirements might change the form in a way that requires some alteration to the language. maybe it's a grip for a new kind of tool that has to be held in a different way (potato masher or smth i dunno). so you have to move the grip points around, change the shape somewhat. ideally the designer will invent a clever way to reuse key elements that don't need to be altered. so maybe the handle shape changes and the grips move, but you can still use the OXO-style thin finned grip areas, and the same black rubber, and the shiny black hanging hole element, and the same general radii, and so on.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 9, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yes please worship oxo in this design jerkoff talk just had one of their chinese garbage handles snap in half on me cutting the poo poo out of my wrist

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

cool story

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

having been the engineer in a room full of designers quite a few times I can appreciate the different approaches but designers are also loving stupid sometimes.

I'm in this weird no mans land between the two and it's hard to occupy. I've tried to study A E S T H E T I C and design language and I wouldn't say I'm more than like a sophomore understanding of it but that's leaps and bounds ahead of most of my engineering cohort

my top designer quibble is in architectural stuff they love putting greenery on roofs and elaborate gardens in spec drawings but lol if anybody's going to spend time maintaining your ambitious skyscraper roof jungle

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

putting the lamborghini mirror on the porsche would be outside the porsche's design language, yeah. like see the hard line through the center of the lambo mirror? there's no creases of that type (meaning two surfaces intersecting at that angle with that fillet radius) anywhere on the porsche. it would stand out as something different.
i never really got to the point where i could in-band articulate my complaints about a design, but idk if i ever really tried when "there is no way this will work" was the required bit

most of my input was "no, induction charging is bad, just use pogo pins ffs"

also i meant "fins" when i said "fillets"

Sagebrush posted:

so anyway this sort of consideration to subtleties of form is what makes a well-designed object. edge fillets in particular are something i always look at, and it's really obvious when something was designed by a designer vs. hacked out by an engineer. trivial example:

in the first case you just click "fillet all", pick a radius, and call it a day. all of the fillets collide at every corner and you get this weird little ball-shaped surface that catches highlights weird and adds tension to the corner points.

in the second case, i've used a larger fillet on some edges and rolled a smaller fillet around the others. this creates two distinct surfaces with optical continuity. it feels better. serves the same purpose as fillet-all but this way is just better.
but its not symmetric now :spergin:

Sagebrush posted:

any kind of functional requirements might change the form in a way that requires some alteration to the language. maybe it's a grip for a new kind of tool that has to be held in a different way (potato masher or smth i dunno). so you have to move the grip points around, change the shape somewhat. ideally the designer will invent a clever way to reuse key elements that don't need to be altered. so maybe the handle shape changes and the grips move, but you can still use the OXO-style thin finned grip areas, and the same black rubber, and the shiny black hanging hole element, and the same general radii, and so on.
when you're dealing with a legacy design language like that, is there any choice left? like we're all in a room, agree that the old grip won't work (i was imagining a hinged thing like a garlic press rather than a flipped grip potato masher), the senior designer goes through the existing 55 handles and makes the design language clear, then sends 2 juniors off to make #56, does the previous language constraints guide them towards a common solution or would you expect some variation? is this making the whole process to cut and dry to even consider?

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes please worship oxo in this design jerkoff talk just had one of their chinese garbage handles snap in half on me cutting the poo poo out of my wrist
wow looks like someone brought their easy-grip scallion axe to grind

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Casual Encountess posted:

having been the engineer in a room full of designers quite a few times I can appreciate the different approaches but designers are also loving stupid sometimes.

:h5:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

engineer: "no we can't make it 2mm thick, there needs to be space for the actual components"

designer: ":qq: :emo:"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*picture of transparent iphone mockup*

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sweevo posted:

engineer: "no we can't make it 2mm thick, there needs to be space for the actual components"

designer: ":qq: :emo:"

this is the first thing I thought of

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

having been the designer in a room full of engineers for a long, long time engineers are also loving stupid sometimes, just in the opposite direction.

for every designer who makes a rendering of a solar-powered fully transparent iphone or w/e, there's an engineer who tries to make everything a welded stainless steel cube because that's the optimum material, right? and if you sliced yourself on the razor sharp sheet-metal edge well you should have been more careful, that sounds like user error. and i think it looks just great, lol what do you mean it's "harsh" and "uncomfortable", what are you, a *snort* woman??

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 10, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like that IYG poster who stuck random pieces of skateboard grip tape all over his iphone because it was too slippery. that's the ultimate engineer's solution.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

and if you sliced yourself on the razor sharp sheet-metal edge well you should have been more careful, that sounds like user error

switch sheet metal for machined aluminum and this is among things that the design team of macbook pro have actually said

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i once worked with a designer who wanted to make a magnetic something-or-other, and specified the substrate material as aluminum. when i questioned that she said "oh it's magnetic aluminum." i blinked and stared and she was like "wait, don't they have that?"

i also worked with an engineer who took my solidworks model of a kitchen product and sliced a bunch of vent holes right into the top surface. i pointed out that this ruined the look of the surface, made ingress points for liquids to spill into the device, and made it impossible to wipe the surface clean in a single pass of a sponge. he irritably replied "well if we put the vents on the side the convection won't be as good."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

like that IYG poster who stuck random pieces of skateboard grip tape all over his iphone because it was too slippery. that's the ultimate engineer's solution.
ahhh gently caress i'd forgotten about that guy

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

Sagebrush posted:

rip literally, your pockets and pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

excuse me it's bathtub grip tape

• Locked thread