Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sten Freak posted:

Started Good Girls Revolt, 3 shows in. Set in late 60s at a newspaper. Involves a lot of womens' lib issues. Could be way smarter and less heavy handed. We'll probably finish it as it's only 1 season unless it gets worse.

It goes off the rails, hard, in the back half of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Manchester By the Sea is up on Prime (for free)

Someone sell me on it, I hate Casey Affleck

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Manchester By the Sea is up on Prime (for free)

Someone sell me on it, I hate Casey Affleck

Incredibly well-made but incredibly depressing. Lonergan thankfully resists the urge to get too stylish with his direction and lets the script speak for itself, and Affleck is very understated throughout the whole thing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's one of if not the best movie from last year. It follows the cast struggling with grief from a death in the family, but also focuses on the mundane things and arrangements that have to be made when someone dies that most movies fail to depict. It's absolutely devastating when it gets heavy, but also has a good bit of humor with a very natural chemistry between the cast.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I love Casey Affleck and also live in Massachusetts but the movie is boring as gently caress. And basically has no ending. Or plot to it at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It sounds similar to Blue Valentine but is it anywhere near that good?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Significantly better.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

precision posted:

God that movie hurt. I enjoyed it though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

precision posted:

As far as depictions of quotidian contemporary American life go, Kenneth Lonergan is clearly superior to Derek Cianfrance.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fishtobaskets posted:

Ayyyy amazon just added 3 hours of Warner Brothers cartoons in one episode. Call in to work then call your weed guy.

E: do a double feature. Watch the WB cartoon block, then watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit? on Netflix

Do you have a link to this? All I can find is one hour of Daffy Duck.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. really gets going when it hits Winter Soldier on the timeline. This is a hell of a ride.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jose Oquendo posted:

It got pulled. Pretty sure this was it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cartoon-Classics-Favorite-Cartoons-Hours/dp/B06WD8MNGG

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yeah that was it. I watched about half of it before it got pulled. It was a lot of really old stuff (and in terrible quality) which made it pretty fascinating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sandy Wexler is bad, but as far as Adam Sandler stuff goes it's actually pretty watchable. After the pointless celebrity wankery at the beginning it actually turns into something that resembles a movie with a story.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah I should have mentioned it's catalogued weird: search for Cartoon classics vol. 1-25

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fishtobaskets posted:

Yeah I should have mentioned it's catalogued weird: search for Cartoon classics vol. 1-25

It's been pulled, I just checked my Watch History and it won't let me watch it.

Jesus Amazon, you could have let it go, I doubt any stoners were gonna rat you out to WB. :mad:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

It's been pulled, I just checked my Watch History and it won't let me watch it.

Jesus Amazon, you could have let it go, I doubt any stoners were gonna rat you out to WB. :mad:

Sunuvabitch. I only got through like the 1st hour too :(

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm watching Don't Trust The B In Apartment 23 because I have nothing else. It's so very sitcomy and Krysten Ritter weirds me out but it's a p. ok show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm watching Don't Trust The B In Apartment 23 because I have nothing else. It's so very sitcomy and Krysten Ritter weirds me out but it's a p. ok show.

"Let's get weird and play Mario Kart!" remains one of my favorite lines from any sitcom ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
When Don't Trust the B and Happy Endings both got cancelled it was my proof that the so called Golden Age of Television is a lie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Peak Drama TV came at the price of Nadir Sitcom. Within the same span of time, you had Happy Endings, Don't Trust the B, and several other great comedies get canceled, all while HIMYM was trying to prove the fallacy of sunk costs.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My 20-something roommate experience was much closer to Workaholics than How I Met Your Mother, so while parts of it were enjoyable it mostly came off as nostalgia for a 90s-esque fantasy of what living in New York would be like.

I thought the consensus here was that Don't Trust the B was awful? Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

Watching that show back to back with Jessica Jones made for a pretty great contrast. :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Hound posted:

I thought the consensus here was that Don't Trust the B was awful? Maybe I'll give it a shot.

The promo material looked awful, but it's been pretty well liked by most people who watched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was awful.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Have there been any good reviews or discussion of Bill Nye Saves the World anywhere? The well's kind of been poisoned since there's a lot of whining about the gender episode for obvious reasons, though less insane people have just been saying "the experiments aren't as interesting, live studio presentation is bad, atmosphere just isn't as fun, etc."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's bad. And I don't give a poo poo about the alt right or whatever. It's just poorly done. Re-watch the original Bill Nye that I'm seeding.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Thompsons posted:

Have there been any good reviews or discussion of Bill Nye Saves the World anywhere? The well's kind of been poisoned since there's a lot of whining about the gender episode for obvious reasons, though less insane people have just been saying "the experiments aren't as interesting, live studio presentation is bad, atmosphere just isn't as fun, etc."

Its not that entertaining and lacks the charm of the old show. It felt weird as to who the show was supposed to be directed at as well. Before this Nye could make the case that he was a scientist advocating for more support of scientific education, but the show really exposes himself as a figure that is politicizing science to promote his own world view. Whether you agree with his viewpoint or not, I don't think that makes for a very compelling TV.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's bad. And I don't give a poo poo about the alt right or whatever. It's just poorly done. Re-watch the original Bill Nye that I'm seeding.

The original Bill Nye is not that good. They ignore actual talking points in favor of ADHD editing and mass repeats of "Bill" with varying levels of distortion. It's 90's as gently caress, I loved it as a kid, but I didn't enjoy it enough to pursue multiple episodes.

Unlike Pee-Wee's Playhouse, which also has ADHD editing, but is fueled by the manic energy instead of hindered.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

The original Bill Nye is not that good. They ignore actual talking points in favor of ADHD editing and mass repeats of "Bill" with varying levels of distortion. It's 90's as gently caress, I loved it as a kid, but I didn't enjoy it enough to pursue multiple episodes.

I agree, but it's still better than BNSTW, and holds my kids' attention. BNSTW has no audience. If they had just Inconvenient Truth-styled numberbombed every few minutes with in-studio experiments, it would have been better.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's so bad. I watched most of the first episode and it's exactly like a kids show but I guess it's somehow for adults because a bunch of millennials make up the audience.

Everything about it reeks of pandering to annoying people who post ifl science articles all day on Facebook.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i don't know what the term for it is but i like what guys like bill nye and NDT represent and want to advocate but their public persona/existence makes me want to vote republican

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well said haha.

Mr Wizard 4 life.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh poo poo, is Mr. Wizard streaming anywhere? That was hands down the best kids science show.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
It's really bad. Just weird and uncomfortable. It sounds like they used a laugh track over the really corny jokes the audience didn't laugh at and I couldn't make it past the second episode. I don't know if it's Bill Nye buying his own hype or what happened. The whole gender thing doesn't factor into it for me, bad show is bad.

I didn't worship his old show, it was alright but like mentioned previously, it was all over the place. The fondest memory I have of him is from the universe of energy at Epcot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm in the middle of season 2 of The Wire. I wanna punch Zig in the face. Omar owning in court ruled.

Last episode I watched:RIP D'Angelo

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The original Bill Nye worked because it was a low budget kids show that had a homemade diy feel. It kept your attention was silly and fun and you came out learning very basic scientific ideas. This new one feels like he is above his intellectual threshold and just seems like an empty loveless slog.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've only seen the first episode of Bill Nye Saves the World. I thought the best part was his round table with experts in the field. Mostly because it didn't have the 'wacky" parts and I thought it was interesting and thought provoking. The other parts were pretty eh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Well said haha.

Mr Wizard 4 life.

I had to binge some Mr. Wizard on Youtube to get the taste of Bill Nye Saves the World out of my brain. It's truly amazing that a person/show can be advocating viewpoints I 100% agree on while also annoying the poo poo out of me.

e: like post that .gif of Bill Nye dancing and DJ-ing during "sex junk", that says it all right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
BNStW is just bizarre. He wasn't really funny before, but without the wackiness that Science Guy had it's really apparent.