Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Kendall Marshall was a good P&R player at least so he might in fact be the rich man there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Is Fultz supposed to be that much better than Ball that drafting Ball over him is something to laugh at Magic about?

It's not remotely close. Fultz is the most complete PG prospect since...hell I don't even know. He's a better shooter than Wall or Rose (or Simmons, who is so different it's not very wise to compare), a better and more willing passer than Irving, bigger and more athletic than Paul. Deron Williams might be the last guy who had a similarly well rounded profile coming in, but he wasn't on Fultz's level anywhere but strength and passing. His sole weakness is an inconsistent form on his shot, but it mostly shows in FTs and should be fixable.

I haven't watched as much of Ball yet, but his form is awful, he's relatively slow, and he has almost no instinct for half court shot creation. I think his likely ceiling is something like Shaun Livingston who can shoot open or transition threes, which is great but probably not a top 20, let alone a top 10, player.

Pre injury Livingston that is, he doesn't have modern Livingston style old man moves at all. He's a transition killer only

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 6, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Strawberry Panda posted:

Thanks! All I really know about Fultz is his name and that he's the projected #1.

Was the Simmons and Ingram draft in the same vain? My friends were telling me they thought Ingram would be better in the NBA before that draft. And, of course, with Simmons sitting out the year we don't have even a year sample to see how they compare.

The one similarity between the two situations is that both Fultz and Simmons were on god awful college teams that missed the NCAA tournament, while Ball and Ingram had more team success. Didn't really impact Simmons though other than some bad takes related to it here and there.

Also I agree with Rick that him being able to hit open jumpers from pretty crazy range combined with his court vision and decision making should give him a pretty solid floor even if there's a good chance he won't be a star.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Shear Modulus posted:

Magic totally buying into Lavar's publicity campaign and drafting Lonzo number one is also the most Magic Johnson: GM move I can imagine short of signing Rose or something.

Wait until the ME7O trade

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

I wanna make a documentary about the Rockets non-championship run and call it Premature Threejaculation

Coincidentally, I want a second franchise in Chicago with the same name.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm glad we have discrete evidence that LBJ is a better player than the OVERRATED and DRUG ABUSING Mike Jordan, as well as the UN-AMERICAN Karim Abdel Jaber

In my opinion fans have no place in the stadium. It should be referees and special consultants to referees in the upper decks.

If LBJ can win the next five games CLE will be the first team to start a playoffs going 12-0.

The 1989 Lakers started 11-0 before losing four straight to the Pistons. Likewise, the 2012 Spurs won their first ten before losing four straight to the Thunder. Also, the 2016 Cavaliers won their first ten and the 2001 Lakers won their first eleven.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

so if Boston gets that first pick, what's the move? Markelle honestly probably has a better ceiling than IT the way they talk about him, so do they take him and try to get IT and Markelle to work together? Or do they trade back and pick up more assets for Ainge to sit on for his eventual GODFATHER PART 4 trade?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This means nothing but let's speculate anyway

https://twitter.com/JackRaines15/status/861009535858876417

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Drafting for position is one of the weirder talking points that always comes up about this time of year. Draft picks take at least one and more like two or three years before they're even close to contributing as starters, by which time your present starter is a useful trade piece or more likely on a new contract, probably with a different team.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

dokmo posted:

Drafting for position is one of the weirder talking points that always comes up about this time of year. Draft picks take at least one and more like two or three years before they're even close to contributing as starters, by which time your present starter is a useful trade piece or more likely on a new contract, probably with a different team.

right, which is why I'd think Ainge would go ahead and trade down, or trade for a piece that could improve the team immediately. Ainge loves to hold on to those dang assets though

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

boxcarhobo posted:

so if Boston gets that first pick, what's the move? Markelle honestly probably has a better ceiling than IT the way they talk about him, so do they take him and try to get IT and Markelle to work together? Or do they trade back and pick up more assets for Ainge to sit on for his eventual GODFATHER PART 4 trade?

Make Markelle the 6th man while he develops. He should turn into a good player around the time IT starts to slow down.

GM Doc about to prove us all wrong?

dokmo posted:

Agreed.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

boxcarhobo posted:

Isaiah Thomas, unlike other NBA players, will never hit a ceiling

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

chunkles posted:

:drat:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

boxcarhobo posted:

right, which is why I'd think Ainge would go ahead and trade down, or trade for a piece that could improve the team immediately. Ainge loves to hold on to those dang assets though

He replaces Marcus Smart in the meantime, which may be a day 1 improvement (at least on offense) and almost definitely is by his second year

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

imagine melting down at the thought of lebron owning your team to death

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

boxcarhobo posted:

Ainge does the worst thing, which is he holds on to the assets and drafts guys 2-15 spots higher than they should be picked instead of getting something for those picks.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

chunkles posted:

:golfclap:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

dokmo posted:

You could argue that you should draft for fit 22-30 because all the people who are good bets are off the board already and your team is probably already pretty good, so if you're going to tie up a roster spot, plus millions for multiple guaranteed years for someone, you should make sure you have be able to get contribution from them. So drafting older guys who have lower ceilings but who can play makes sense here.

With two way contracts, though, now, I guess you can turn that million investment into a thousand investment so maybe it makes sense to draft BPA here, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Garnett era Celtics won a title so I mean.... how were they stoppped

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

The Garnett era Celtics won a title so I mean.... how were they stoppped

The real homer in me wanted to say that the Celtics ended Lebron's first Cavs era

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

LeBron ended LeBron's first Cavs era, sorry.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Oh, really?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

more like the incredible ineptitude of the cavs did that, so he had to go to miami, learn to be a gm and not just player coach so he could use his immense talents in all things to barely overcome the crushing shittyness of cleveland as a town

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

If only coach LeBron could have recognized the greatness in Eric Snow and Larry Hughes

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ball's shot, while janky, actually does go in the net unlike Fox or Jackson or whoever

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The Cavs lineup that made the 2007 finals will remain hilarious forever

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

AggressivelyStupid posted:

If only coach LeBron could have recognized the greatness in Eric Snow and Larry Hughes

eric snow is basically the exact player that should have been from akron and become a symbol for ohio sports

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Cavs lineup that made the 2007 finals will remain hilarious forever

Like who the gently caress was even the second best player? Ilgauskas I guess but man Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones and Shannon Brown and Ira Newble. Just brutal.

I'll never forget Lebrons 25 straight, 29 out of 30 point run against Detroit to close out the game. It's still the most insane thing I've ever seen in any goddamn sport ever

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lebrons original big 3 was lbj-big z- larry hughes

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

milk milk lemonade posted:

Like who the gently caress was even the second best player? Ilgauskas I guess but man Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones and Shannon Brown and Ira Newble. Just brutal.

I'll never forget Lebrons 25 straight, 29 out of 30 point run against Detroit to close out the game. It's still the most insane thing I've ever seen in any goddamn sport ever

Big Z is the greatest Lithuanian to have ever graced the NBA!!!

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Larry Hughes one good season was such a huge outlier for him. That contract was awful

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

The real homer in me wanted to say that the Celtics ended Lebron's first Cavs era

I will agree with this.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spacebump posted:

Make Markelle the 6th man while he develops. He should turn into a good player around the time IT starts to slow down.

This is probably the choice with the best risk:profit.

See if Bird will take some combination of Smart/Bradley/2018 Nets pick for George. Run a starting 5 of IT-Brown-George-Crowder-Horford with Fultz as the 6th man. That's a relatively competitive roster with the Cavs/Warriors and parts of the core are still young enough to be relevant if/when LeBron's level of play ever starts to decline.

edit: wrong thread, but still relevant.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 7, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Brown is probably not ready to start on a team trying to have the best record in the league yet and if they play Fultz heavy minutes, they'll lose games because of it just because that's how it works. Although maybe the Celtics can decide to be willing to maybe give up a high seed next year to develop for the future.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Cool Buff Man posted:

This is true.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

milk milk lemonade posted:

I was there, unfortunately. Let's not forget the true hero, Drew Gooden, who scored the other point.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The first lebron cav era began in 2014 with the knicks beating them in a highly televised event

Now like a third of that knicks team plays for lebron

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is lebron's greatest nemesis the warriors, the spurs or the celtics?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lebrons greatest nemesis is a mythical MJ who never existed and whose deeds and abilities are constantly changed just to malign Him imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is probably the choice with the best risk:profit.

See if Bird will take some combination of Smart/Bradley/2018 Nets pick for George. Run a starting 5 of IT-Brown-George-Crowder-Horford with Fultz as the 6th man. That's a relatively competitive roster with the Cavs/Warriors and parts of the core are still young enough to be relevant if/when LeBron's level of play ever starts to decline.

edit: wrong thread, but still relevant.

A. bird is retiring, B. no way they come off paul george without the celtics giving up that top pick (if the lottery balls are kind)

• Locked thread