Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Sebastien Lenorman posted:

the worst foreign policy since george w bush

Jeez, that's a big call to make! Out of all the people who've been President since W, Obama was the worst when he left office? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Amarcarts posted:

Obama ended Don't Ask Don't Tell though before Biden forced his hand on the marriage issue.

The decent strain of American culture has been fine with gay people for a LONG time. The only reason I think Obama wasn't pushing for marriage reform from the get go is that there is a significant amount of homophobia in the black community. He'd rather ride the wave of bottom-up reform than stick his neck out and risk alienating some of his base.

Blaming the black man for Obama's faults, that's a new one

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

dsriggs posted:

Jeez, that's a big call to make! Out of all the people who've been President since W, Obama was the worst when he left office? Wow.

I mean I get your point but just being worse than Dubya is a pretty big achievement

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/Chemzes/status/860960298395738112

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Obama entered office with a really insane, messianic cult of personality around him. It is ludicrous to look back on.

I used to go to Young Democrats meetings, and there was this one 18 year old girl who was super pumped about Obama, babbling about how he was going to fix everything. Made me cringe.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

I used to go to Young Democrats meetings, and there was this one 18 year old girl who was super pumped about Obama, babbling about how he was going to fix everything. Made me cringe.

It's great how Obama turned out to be a complete fraud especially how he let wall street banks get away with crashing the global economy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

does he really want to be known as "the hillary clinton of france"

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
L'Tromp avec baguette

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

etalian posted:

It's great how Obama turned out to be a complete fraud especially how he let wall street banks get away with crashing the global economy.

I wouldn't go that far, but the second coming he was not.

client
Aug 19, 2010

hillary clitson

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

etalian posted:

Taking the Wall Street money for that speech truly revealed where his allegiances were this whole time. He has no plausible deniability anymore.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Alienwarehouse posted:

Taking the Wall Street money for that speech truly revealed where his allegiances were this whole time. He has no plausible deniability anymore.

what his 2 terms weren't enough?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but the second coming he was not.

how many banks were nationalized and how many bankers ended up with 100 year prison sentences?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alienwarehouse posted:

i bet after seeing Trump elected and people posting this own obama could not cash that cheque fast enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0xHOZJH5I0

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

does he really want to be known as "the hillary clinton of france"

L'amour Trumps la haine

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

how many banks were nationalized and how many bankers ended up with 100 year prison sentences?

The latter is a direct result of homeland security. Before, the fbi could transfer resources to big business crime investigations, as happened with savings and loan in the 80s. Now, though, it's all terrorism all the time

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dude, I said he wasn't the second coming.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

L'amour Trumps la haine

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VideoTapir posted:

Dude, I said he wasn't the second coming.

Reagan and HW Bush put more bankers in jail than Obama did, for a far less disastrous fraud. That's just pitiful

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The latter is a direct result of homeland security. Before, the fbi could transfer resources to big business crime investigations, as happened with savings and loan in the 80s. Now, though, it's all terrorism all the time

funny how nothing happens even with the threat of terrorism involved

quote:

The US government decided not to pursue criminal charges against HSBC for allowing terrorists and drug dealers to launder millions of dollars after George Osborne and the UK banking regulator intervened to warn that prosecuting Britain’s biggest bank could lead to a “global financial disaster”.

On Monday, a congressional report published letters and emails from Osborne and Financial Services Authority (FSA) officials to their US counterparts warning that launching criminal action against HSBC in 2012 could have sparked a “financial calamity”.

The House financial services committee report said the UK interventions “played a significant role in ultimately persuading the DoJ [Department of Justice] not to prosecute HSBC”. Instead of pursuing a prosecution, the bank agreed to pay a record $1.92bn (£1.4bn) fine.

The report revealed that Osborne wrote to Ben Bernanke, who was then the Federal Reserve chairman, and Timothy Geithner, the then treasury secretary, to warn that prosecuting a “systemically important financial institution” like HSBC “could lead to [financial] contagion” and pose “very serious implications for financial and economic stability, particularly in Europe and Asia”.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

its cool that people still think obama had his hands tied and the evil republicans are why he couldnt shut down guantanamo or prosecute wall street

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maya Fey posted:

its cool that people still think obama had his hands tied and the evil republicans are why he couldnt shut down guantanamo or prosecute wall street

'Crats gonna 'Crat.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
From what I understand part of the reason very few people went to prison is because there wasn't much going on that was actually illegal. That's what happens when you allow the regulatory infrastructure to slowly crumble over a number of years it eventually blows up in your face.

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 7, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

But his political capital......

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Amarcarts posted:

From what I understand part of the reason very few people went to prison is because there wasn't much going on that was actually illegal. That's what happens when you allow the regulatory infrastructure to slowly crumble over a number of years it eventually blows up in your face.

it's a good thing he closed all those loopholes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Amarcarts posted:

you can always find something to convict someone on if you really want to.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

remember this black mirror episode https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/11/hsbc-us-money-laundering-george-osborne-report

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maya Fey posted:

hes going to spend that political capital any day now......

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rutibex posted:

hes going to spend that political capital any day now......

He converted his unused political capital into Wall Street coins

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
to be fair, iceland prosecuted their bankers and now they dont exist

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Not the bankers. Everyone with money left. The population of Iceland has been reduced to eight to twelve dead bodies.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Amarcarts posted:

No there was quite a bit of flagrantly illegal conduct, as revealed in various leaks and court cases. Like straight up breaking the law then bragging about it via email.

The doj just didn't wnt to prosecute

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

No there was quite a bit of flagrantly illegal conduct, as revealed in various leaks and court cases. Like straight up breaking the law then bragging about it via email.

The doj just didn't wnt to prosecute

For example the government refused to go after HSBC even though they knowingly laundered money for drug cartels.

Because the nuclear option would mean they would disqualified from being able to do any sort of financial business.

Don't believe the Bad Dem myth that it's impossible to go after white collar wall street criminals.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
obama was a big ol fraud

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Homestar Runner posted:

obama was a big ol fraud

He did give hope and change to wall street bankers after they collected their bailout money.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
IIRC that HSBC thing wasn't part of the financial crash.

I do remember a severely orange guy named Angelo going to jail over something.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Look like there are actually lucid and competent people in his HQ then, those poor guys&gals must be nervous wrecks by now.

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

dsriggs posted:

:thejoke:

Poz Party Pooper
Feb 16, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNYmJ5gwLA

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Single payer health care is great. It's really too bad that Americans are too stupid to figure it out, though.

• Locked thread