Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Defeating an army singlehandedly proves she's now officially his protege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean this is nothing new to Samurai Jack. He's, on the reg, just casually slaughtered a few hundred beetle robots before. It's like, his thing. I don't know why it's any different when Ashi does it to some orcs.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 2, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Glagha posted:

I mean this is nothing new to Samurai Jack. He's, on the reg, just casually slaughtered a few hundred beetle robots before. It's like, his thing. I don't know why it's any different when Ashi does it to some orcs.

Jack always has his sword, and usually some kind of help or plan. Like waaay back at the start of the series with the beetle army, he had help from the talking dogs. Here, Ashi did some Looney Tunes style bulldozing and then punched the army to death without receiving a single wound. Jack's never been able to do that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its literally his first fight in the future.
The battle bot army and the 3(4?) Dogs.

E;fb

^^Still though killing legions of enemies is a super common thing in this show.
There was this assassin drone horde that he beat with a bamboo cane.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its literally his first fight in the future.
The battle bot army and the 3(4?) Dogs.

And he had practically an entire day of prep-time. Setting traps, utilizing new weapons, making armor. That, and he got in that bar brawl too.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What about here when Jack beats 50 bazillion sword robots with a single swing each with a stick. Like he literally spends a while just baseball swinging back and forth while robots walk into his stick.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm not opposed to Ashi taking out an entire army. But it came at the expense of her fight with Mother, which had waaaay more potential and suffered from the constraint.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Glagha posted:

What about here when Jack beats 50 bazillion sword robots with a single swing each with a stick. Like he literally spends a while just baseball swinging back and forth while robots walk into his stick.

Guy didn't even lose his clothes either. You know he's super powerful when you're army can't even manage that MUCH.

Das Boo posted:

I'm not opposed to Ashi taking out an entire army. But it came at the expense of her fight with Mother, which had waaaay more potential and suffered from the constraint.

I will agree with this complaint though. I don't even understand why Mother was with them, either. At no other point was there any indication that the cult was in league with an army of trolls; and I also don't understand why she thought she'd be able to kill Jack when her seven daughters failed. Nothing about that makes logical sense unless you look at it from the perspective of "oh shoot, we gotta wrap this show up quick".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Das Boo posted:

this is a legit complaint, and also one i can somewhat agree with, i would have liked to see more of the play of their fight, i liked how mother's main mission was killing jack rather then ashi

i guess the contrast was meant to be seeing how ashi fights when it's to kill people ala the army vs when she 's trying to protect people

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Even odds that Ashi's mother isn't even dead, and will return when Jack fights Aku for a properly extended and gratuitous combat with Ashi so she has something to do that episode.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm familiar with this clip where Mace Windu does that, but never really got around to watching all of the episodes.

Star Wars Clone Wars is good poo poo. and it's too bad it's also the only time General Grievous is badass.

Also I love how in this miniepisode, the bad guys super weapon is a giant hammer thing.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Das Boo posted:

Yeah I think the episode would have been served better by axing the army altogether and expanding the Mother fight.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I could see something like Ashi getting bored, starting to nod off... then suddenly jerking awake and just barely managing to catch her mother's arrow. We then still get a no-holds barred battle of them destroying the ruins that cuts to and from Jack's tea house adventures.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Extending the fight with the mother might have been cooler, yeah. Then again it might have been difficult to actually extend that fight by much, simply because the mother's goal was "kill Jack" not "kill Ashi" and there's only so many ways you can have Ashi barely stop her mother from planting a dagger in Jack's head.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think there should have been some internal conflict with Ashi in that scene...she's trying to overcome years and years of programming, some hesitation or self doubt would've made the scene more interesting. That could've happened instead of her slaughtering an entire army in a consequence-free fight.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

If they had to keep the army, I'd want it to be like

> Army approaches with Aku's flags
> Some internal Jack scenes
> Cut to the army already dead at Ashi's hand, but tired and worn-out
> High Priestess Boss Fight

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That's what I'd have wanted but it goes

*army approaches
*ashi tells the general to turn around
*he smiles
*Jack's teahouse scene
*general orc is bloodstained and terrified running heater-smelter over a pile of corpses and beatle drones
* Ashi picks him off with her kusari-gama from long range

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 3, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think there should have been some internal conflict with Ashi in that scene...she's trying to overcome years and years of programming, some hesitation or self doubt would've made the scene more interesting. That could've happened instead of her slaughtering an entire army in a consequence-free fight.

Personally I'm kind of happy that there wasn't a scene like that. Ashi still showed just a tiny hint of hesitation when Mother asked her to destroy Jack and held up her knife, watching it for a second or two and showing indecision before rejecting her and voicing why - and that's enough for me. I prefer that it wasn't a long and drawn out scene. She already sweated over that indecision when faced with the lie of her life a few episodes ago, so I'm happy she just considered the option and rejected it quickly when confronted. What I would have liked is for her to show regret after killing Mother in the first place, even if only looking sadly over the cliff for a second or two. Which just goes to show they couldn't please everyone no matter they did I guess, so presumably they just pleased themselves. I still liked enough of it to not mind at least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just impressed with how good a weapon that horn made.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

tsob posted:

What I would have liked is for her to show regret after killing Mother in the first place, even if only looking sadly over the cliff for a second or two.

Yeah I'm with you on this one, a moment of reflection would've added some weight.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe Ashi simply isn't the type of person to deeply reflect once they realize their entire childhood was an abusive lie. It's not as though she hasn't had time to think about all this during her travels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I was pretty convinced she was sure about her decision about not wanting to kill Jack anymore once she'd confronted the strange Mom-vision in the sky and refused to kill him then. And then she goes on to search for him after he goes to a graveyard to execute himself and ends up meeting all those people he's helped.

Sooooooo, I think having another revelation about it to her mom would be taking a step back. If she was sure of her decision but stumbling to say it because her mom had her and her sisters beaten regularly for however long training went then sure, that could work.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

that loving image lmao

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I know she took an arrow through the spine and fell off a cliff, but we've seen Ashi plummet to her doom wrapped in a chain and Jack survive having his liver carved out and bleeding for days in a cave so I'm not 100% sure we won't get another Ashi/Mother throw-down in the future.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

I know she took an arrow through the spine and fell off a cliff, but we've seen Ashi plummet to her doom wrapped in a chain and Jack survive having his liver carved out and bleeding for days in a cave so I'm not 100% sure we won't get another Ashi/Mother throw-down in the future.

Two of Ashi's sisters died from falling, and more than that there's not many episodes left. I'd think it's safe to say that Ashi's mom is pretty dead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Ashi was the strongest of all of them after all. Granted, she wasn't injured pre-fall though so that might've had something to do with it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, that reminds me- Mother had a line earlier saying Ashi was always the weakest. I thought at the time that was a pretty interesting choice, making it not so much that she was the best of her sisters but that she was left by merit of not being the most imminent threat. I thought it'd be neat to have a main character be the worst of the best along side the best of the best.
But I guess she was actually the best, she just had a thing for ladybugs.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I believe the rationale is that she was the strongest and most deadly pupil, but the 'weakest' emotionally. That the training took well but the brainwashing didn't.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Metrofreak posted:

I believe the rationale is that she was the strongest and most deadly pupil, but the 'weakest' emotionally. That the training took well but the brainwashing didn't.

Yeah, she refused to become all about the purpose of her and her sisters. Kill the samurai.

But, there wasn't really anything beyond that so I guess if they'd succeeded they'd then be told to kill each other and the last one would get to be a sacrifice to Aku? That sounds like the most cult-y answer to things I could come up with.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Metrofreak posted:

I know. I was just hoping they meant overall weakest because that's be a pretty neat route to take. That the weakest sister survived.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Das Boo posted:

I know. I was just hoping they meant overall weakest because that's be a pretty neat route to take. That the weakest sister survived.

It could well be. The mother strikes me as manipulative to a fault. Whether she's criticizing or praising Ashi depends on how she's trying to trust her at that given moment. Sympathy or shame.

You were the strongest -> You can be that again, kill the samurai, redeem yourself.

You were always the weakest -> you can be strong, kill the samurai.

Plus, she did world the least close quarter weapon, even if she were the 'best' asking them, I doubt she was as strong as the one with the ogre club or as agile as the one with the katana.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, to focus on something petty today instead of something awful, I'm very annoyed that Google Play still hasn't added the latest episode after five days.

At this point I'm just going to stop buying seasons in advance if I'm going to have to wait a random number of days to get things I've already paid for that are showing up already on Amazon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, to focus on something petty today instead of something awful, I'm very annoyed that Google Play still hasn't added the latest episode after five days.

At this point I'm just going to stop buying seasons in advance if I'm going to have to wait a random number of days to get things I've already paid for that are showing up already on Amazon.

Yeah, google play is the loving worst at this crap. Same boat.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Tonight is the night. Tonight, there will be a BURGEONING!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fionordequester posted:

Tonight is the night. Tonight, there will be a BURGEONING!

A Jackening will happen tonight.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
:lol: Billy West doing the Zoidberg voice

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Zoidberg appears!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:laffo: I can't believe there was a time I thought these two weren't gonna bone like rabbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
And you fuckers thought Samurai Jack was going to avoid cliches and fanservice. Bone the 18 year old, Jack. Bone them.

Give em the old 80 year old D.

edit: I was one of those fuckers too. :(

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 7, 2017

• Locked thread