Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

fletcher posted:

I would think something like Evernote would be more appropriate than web based wiki software, no?

For Reasons, I want to use Wiki, partially because I want to eventually move this to another server on a LAN.

The local installation is more to ensure that this system will work adequately for my purposes (and only be accessible by my on my local machine), then either be migrated to a "real" server, or re-set-up on LAN.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Create a VM and install it there. That way you can mimic the environment of the future server and that will be more valuable than installing it on windows 7.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
Use Vagrant, it works great for local dev and/or doing what you're wanting to do.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DarkLotus posted:

Use Vagrant, it works great for local dev and/or doing what you're wanting to do.

Seconding Vagrant, but also docker for windows exists and that might work out alright too.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Question about "doorknob rattling". Let's say that I have an IP address that is obviously trying to find an exploit in phpmyadmin (which isn't installed, btw). Everything that they try is 404ing, so they're not really getting anywhere. So the question is, block them with iptables or ignore them?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

LongSack posted:

Question about "doorknob rattling". Let's say that I have an IP address that is obviously trying to find an exploit in phpmyadmin (which isn't installed, btw). Everything that they try is 404ing, so they're not really getting anywhere. So the question is, block them with iptables or ignore them?

It's 1 of a million other ips that are doing the same.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

LongSack posted:

Fail2ban and automatically block every other ip that will inevitably port scan you

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Pretty sure fail2ban only checks ssh attempts. If you're really paranoid mod_security. Or just keep your web apps updated and ignore the million bad hits you get a day.

E: nm I'm wrong. It checks Apache too apparently. Still. It's 1 of a billion ips that are doing the same thing. Do what you want.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Fail2ban and automatically block every other ip that will inevitably port scan you

I have fail2ban installed, but when I look in the logs there's nothing there since I moved my ssh port off of 22 (before I did that I was averaging 600+ ssh root login attempts a day)

Grandaddy D
Sep 21, 2010
So I signed up for bounceweb several years back after they were featured on the SA Mart. I understand that they quickly went downhill, but I hadn't experienced any of that myself and had no need to contact them for support. Recently one of my databases was hacked and I had need to contact them, but they haven't responded to my ticket in two months. Obviously, I rehosted my sites elsewhere, but I'm scheduled to get charged again for a full year in about a week. I cannot find a way to cancel it, and I they still have not responded to a single ticket. What kind of recourse do I even have? I understand I can do a chargeback, but at this point, I feel the company is shady enough to go after me for an unpaid invoice.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Grandaddy D posted:

So I signed up for bounceweb several years back after they were featured on the SA Mart. I understand that they quickly went downhill, but I hadn't experienced any of that myself and had no need to contact them for support. Recently one of my databases was hacked and I had need to contact them, but they haven't responded to my ticket in two months. Obviously, I rehosted my sites elsewhere, but I'm scheduled to get charged again for a full year in about a week. I cannot find a way to cancel it, and I they still have not responded to a single ticket. What kind of recourse do I even have? I understand I can do a chargeback, but at this point, I feel the company is shady enough to go after me for an unpaid invoice.

Call your issuing bank and put in a request to block payment to that merchant. Should the payment go through, you can file a chargeback. If paying through PayPal, cancel the subscription.

With credit cards, if you put in the effort to cancel a service with a merchant who is unreachable, the issuing bank will work with you to prevent that charge or rectify it should it go through.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
I have just bought a personal domain to host my resume and to have a personalized email address, firstname@lastname.tld. I am using namecheaps email forwarding but attachment size is limited to 20mb. Does anybody know of a simple and safe way to self host my email just to forward them to my gmail with no size limits? Also, namecheaps forwarding can sometimes take up to ten minutes. This way I could also shorten that delay.

e: Also I need a way to send from that address.

River fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 21, 2017

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

River posted:

I have just bought a personal domain to host my resume and to have a personalized email address, firstname@lastname.tld. I am using namecheaps email forwarding but attachment size is limited to 20mb. Does anybody know of a simple and safe way to self host my email just to forward them to my gmail with no size limits? Also, namecheaps forwarding can sometimes take up to ten minutes. This way I could also shorten that delay.

e: Also I need a way to send from that address.

Google apps will do this for 5 dollars a month and it's very easy to setup. https://gsuite.google.com/

You can also use imap pull in gmail to just raw copy all your email over to your existing inbox for free.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Transfer your domain to Google Domains, and they do email forwarding for free.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

blah

Atheist Sunglasses fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 31, 2017

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I've been a reasonably happy DreamHost customer for a long while, but I'm starting to think I'm overpaying. When I started, I was doing more dynamic websites and Wordpress with all sorts of fancy MySQL things and custom apps in PHP and all of that. The sort of things a college kid tools around with.

These days, I just have a handful of personal sites, all of which are generated from Markdown (using, e.g. Jekyll) into static sites that almost no one really reads. I don't need nor want all sorts of fancy whatever hosting. I didn't really think about how much I was possibly overpaying until I was pointed at NearlyFreeSpeech, and looking at their prices. However, I'm not really sure if they're trustworthy, or any of that.

The complicated thing is that I use Fastmail for my email, and I have my DNS records set up to forward to them, and it's hard to tell whether or not anyone will allow me to set MX records, along with DKIM and SPF correctly.

What I'm looking for is:
- Cheaper than Dreamhost
- Static-site friendly
- Domain privacy
- Ability to edit DNS entries for MX, DKIM, SPF, etc.
- Automatic Let's Encrypt SSL on my domains
- SSH support (I use rsync for keeping things up to date, aside from the occasional foray into SFTP, or just sshing in to look around)
- 2FA on the actual account login
- Good uptime
- Probably other things I can't think of

Like, I'm just totally lost with the plethora of options out there, trying to actually think about switching to one to save money is exhausting. And, because my email's tied in, I'm a little cautious about going gung-ho and transferring things around. Momentum's a bitch.

In short, what's a good recommendation for a cheap, reliable hosting for extremely low-traffic static sites, with good DNS management?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
NearlyFreeSpeech.net is trustworthy. I used them for a site back when my needs were smaller, and their integrity was top-notch. There's a bit more busywork to get a site running, though, and I don't know if Let's Encrypt is easy with them.
I've also used BuyShared. They work fine, and they integrated Let's Encrypt into cPanel, but I don't know if they do domain registrations.

Lithium Hosting is a frequently recommended goon-run webhost that might fit your needs. I see they now include SSL certificates for free, DarkLotus could tell you if Let's Encrypt is now integrated with their control panel. I'll let him work with you to figure out if LH is a good option. :)

If you're willing to put in a little more effort, I would suggest splitting off your domain registration and email into separate services for future peace of mind, but you can do that as need be.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Anaxite posted:

There's a bit more busywork to get a site running, though, and I don't know if Let's Encrypt is easy with them.

I don't particularly mind legwork; I'm one of those people who doesn't mind using vim :)

quote:

If you're willing to put in a little more effort, I would suggest splitting off your domain registration and email into separate services for future peace of mind, but you can do that as need be.

I assume you mean hosting instead of email, and yeah, I'm starting to think that might be a good idea, especially if I break from Dreamhost. Not that I particularly know a good place to actually register—I don't approve of GoDaddy in general, and something about Hover just feels off—that can let me twiddle with the DNS records as I see fit. Is there a good recommendation there?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Axiem posted:

Not that I particularly know a good place to actually register—I don't approve of GoDaddy in general, and something about Hover just feels off—that can let me twiddle with the DNS records as I see fit. Is there a good recommendation there?

It sound like you are planning on using your domain registrar's DNS - I suggest instead (as with your web hosting) that you delegate that task to a separate company, e.g. Hurricane Electric or Cloudflare - both of which are free and have the DNS features you want.

For the domain itself, Hover are fine (and offer free WHOIS privacy). Other reputable registrars include Google Domains (also free privacy), internet.bs (free privacy) and Namecheap (paid)

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 20, 2017

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

It sound like you are planning on using your domain registrar's DNS - I suggest instead (as with your web hosting) that you delegate that task to a separate company, e.g. Hurricane Electric or Cloudflare - both of which are free and have the DNS features you want.

How does this work? I would have thought whoever registers the domains would also be who controls the DNS entries—or is there some special way Cloudflare etc. can tell that I own the domain so I can edit the DNS entries?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Authoritative DNS has two separate parts you need to concern yourself with

Say your domain is axiem.com and you choose Cloudflare to host your DNS

• The com. zone is served by the DNS servers at [a-m].gtld-servers.net
    It contains NS records for axiem.com. pointing to [fred,iris].ns.cloudflare.com.
    You update these records using your domain registrar's website.
    It looks this:
    This is how everyone knows where responsibility for the zone axiem.com. is delegated to

• The axiem.com. zone is served by the DNS servers at [fred,iris].ns.cloudflare.com
    It contains A, MX, SPF etc records of your choice
    You update these records using Cloudflare's website
    It looks like this:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

If you've always used your domain registrar's DNS then the first bullet point is the part of the picture they've been hiding from you

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I've seen the nameserver stuff in Dreamhost's Control Panel, but I hadn't realized that's what it did. Now I know! (I'm assuming that setting it up through my Domain Registrar updates gtld-servers).

With Cloudflare: is setting up the DNS stuff part of the Free plan? If I go with them for that, do I also have to put my static site behind their stuff—and what happens when they have an outage, or does that not happen very often?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Axiem posted:

I've seen the nameserver stuff in Dreamhost's Control Panel, but I hadn't realized that's what it did. Now I know! (I'm assuming that setting it up through my Domain Registrar updates gtld-servers).

With Cloudflare: is setting up the DNS stuff part of the Free plan? If I go with them for that, do I also have to put my static site behind their stuff—and what happens when they have an outage, or does that not happen very often?

Dns is free. You don't need to put your site behind their protection. There's an option to not protect it. If they go down they lose business so it doesn't happen often.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Axiem posted:

(I'm assuming that setting it up through my Domain Registrar updates gtld-servers).
yes, your domain registrar sends the changes to Verisign who run gtld-servers

Axiem posted:

With Cloudflare: is setting up the DNS stuff part of the Free plan?
yes

Axiem posted:

If I go with them for that, do I also have to put my static site behind their stuff
no you can turn it all off ("grey cloud" switch in their control panel)

Axiem posted:

and what happens when they have an outage, or does that not happen very often?
it doesn't happen

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

That's...impressive. Okay, I'm convinced on that count.

I'll look again at Hover; one of my coworkers was raving today about how much he liked it.

My big thing about switching hosting is this voice in the back of my head is saying "you get what you pay for", which I'm not even sure is true about Dreamhost—and do I really need exactly what they're offering?

I guess my question is this: if it costs 10$/month at Dreamhost, and 3$/month at Lithium, why is there a 7$ difference? What am I paying for at Dreamhost that I don't get at Lithium? (Much less at NearlyFreeSpeech, which a ballpark estimate puts me at 5$/year)

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Axiem posted:

I guess my question is this: if it costs 10$/month at Dreamhost, and 3$/month at Lithium, why is there a 7$ difference? What am I paying for at Dreamhost that I don't get at Lithium? (Much less at NearlyFreeSpeech, which a ballpark estimate puts me at 5$/year)

Very roughly, the $7 difference is because Dreamhost is an "unlimited" host, and the $3 Lithium Hosting plan is the lowest offered. Lithium Hosting is explicitly not unlimited and thus can be cheaper. It's important to note there are more expensive hosts, better and worse; Dreamhost and Lithium Hosting both fall under the category of unmanaged hosts that don't do too much in the way of special or custom services. See companies like Hostineer to see another pricing structure!

NearlyFreeSpeech.net is cheaper... to a point. They're small, don't do much in terms of presentation, and expect you to get by without much in the way of control panels. They can therefore pass some savings on to you, but the prices will quickly balloon if you do anything more than host a simple site.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Axiem posted:

(Much less at NearlyFreeSpeech, which a ballpark estimate puts me at 5$/year)

I'll leave the question about Dreamhost vs Lithium for someone else but I can vouch for NFS.

I've hosted a static site with them for several years. It got moderate attention at one point, trending on social networks and being featured in print and online media. I put it behind Cloudflare with the most aggressive caching settings and have still not got through my initial $1 deposit from 2013. It's quite astonishing and I would never believe it if it hadn't happened to me.

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007
Newbie question: I'm looking for a !cheap! host to play around with GIS applications, especially GeoServer, OpenLayers and if possible, a PostGIS/Postgres database, but don't know much more about hosting than what's written in the OP. What would be the hosts I should look into?
Location is Germany.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

ButtHate posted:

Newbie question: I'm looking for a !cheap! host to play around with GIS applications, especially GeoServer, OpenLayers and if possible, a PostGIS/Postgres database, but don't know much more about hosting than what's written in the OP. What would be the hosts I should look into?
Location is Germany.

If you are just playing around and don't need this thing accessible from anywhere on the internet, just run your own Linux VM with VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I just took over a domain from someone and transferred it to my namecheap account.

They just emailed and asked "Did you want me to renew the SSL Certificate?"

The domain has A records pointing at a hosting server that doesn't use SSL (it's just http, not https), and it has MX records pointing to outlook.com. As far as I know this means there's no need for an SSL certificate anywhere because any SSL stuff for email will just be handled by outlook.com

Is he confused or am I?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

you sound right

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Alright cool thanks, I just didn't wanna look like an idiot when I ask him wtf he's talking about.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Am I correct in my understanding that if I set up DNS records at multiple places (say, through Dreamhost, and then through NearlyFreeSpeech.net, and then through Lithium Hosting), the only ones that are ever read are those pointed to by the domain's name servers, right?

Or is there something weird around active/authoritative name servers?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Axiem posted:

Am I correct in my understanding that if I set up DNS records at multiple places (say, through Dreamhost, and then through NearlyFreeSpeech.net, and then through Lithium Hosting), the only ones that are ever read are those pointed to by the domain's name servers, right?

Or is there something weird around active/authoritative name servers?

You're correct. Whatever you set as the domain's name servers is where the internet will go looking for DNS records. Other records will be ignored.

Bear in mind that changing authoritative name servers around can be slow. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to a day for the internet to catch up.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 23, 2017

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

However if someone hosts use their authoritative name servers as resolvers then they'll use the local records. Don't leave stray dns records sitting around.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Good to know.

I did discover that Fastmail apparently will also host the DNS records. The advantage of this is that they'll keep the SPF and DKIM records up to date for me (and email is far more important to me than my websites being just a little faster because of DNS response times); the disadvantage is that I can't easily get something like Cloudflare to do caching for me.

Are there any other pros/cons I'm missing there?

Another thing:

I've created free-trial accounts at both NearlyFreeSpeech and Lithium Hosting, because free trials are awesome, and am playing with one of my unused domains.

One of the things with Dreamhost is I have one SSH login to a home directory, and then I can have configured for each of my sites subdirectories—and then, for one of them, more subdirectories. So for example, on my filesystem, I have:
~/foo/
~/bar/
~/blog/

And https://www.foo.com points to ~/foo/
https://www.bar.com points to ~/bar/
https://www.bar.com/blog/ points to ~/blog/

I do this split mostly to have more obvious rsync targets in my "upload static site" scripts. It also means that my rsync call for ~/bar/ doesn't delete ~/bar/blog/, since that's managed by a different script.

It appears that NearlyFreeSpeech doesn't particularly like this, and thinks each site should be its own separate user (and separate SSH login); it looks like it's possible to change this so I have multiple domains under one "site", but it wants to make my directories the full domain name, so I'd have ~/www.foo.com/ and ~/www.bar.com/, which is a little ugly, and also means I have ~/www.bar.com/blog/ for managing my blog.

Poking around Lithium Hosting, I can't find the option for enabling SSH access (it's not where the support documentation says to find it), so I'm assuming I don't get that with the free trial (which isn't unreasonable). It also kind of seems like Lithium is of the "one site is the home directory" model, but I'm having trouble actually getting access to put files to see—and I haven't yet figured out from the docs how to points my DNS records at that hosting.

Am I just thinking about hosting websites wrong or something?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Axiem posted:

Poking around Lithium Hosting, I can't find the option for enabling SSH access (it's not where the support documentation says to find it), so I'm assuming I don't get that with the free trial (which isn't unreasonable). It also kind of seems like Lithium is of the "one site is the home directory" model, but I'm having trouble actually getting access to put files to see—and I haven't yet figured out from the docs how to points my DNS records at that hosting.

Am I just thinking about hosting websites wrong or something?

SSH is not available on Free Trial accounts.
That said, adding domains as Addon Domains will give them each their own directory. Your main domain will exist in public_html while the addon domains will exist wherever you create the folder when adding them to cPanel.
You can the access those files via FTP or SSH (with paid account only)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Axiem posted:

I did discover that Fastmail apparently will also host the DNS records. The advantage of this is that they'll keep the SPF and DKIM records up to date for me

You don't need to host your DNS with them to achieve this

SPF has an include: directive which tells querying clients to look the records up elsewhere. On fastmail you would do something like v=spf1 include:spf.messagingengine.com ~all

similarly DKIM records can be CNAMEd to somewhere else. On fastmail this means fm[1-3].axiem.com.dkim.fmhosted.com or whatever. It's in the docs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Hm. Has this changed since about 2 or 3 years ago? That's when I set up my SPF/DKIM things through my domain at Fastmail, and when I went to look a couple of days ago, it had a thing telling me that my DKIM is out of date, and to move from TXT records to CNAME records.

If the new CNAME way is more stable, then cool, that would be nice, and assuage my fears about undelivered mail.

When I set up my Lithium Hosting account, I enabled Cloudflare, which gave me a Cloudflare account—but Cloudflare tells me that Lithium is controlling the DNS records. Is there a way I can break that? If I do, should I just point the DNS A records to whatever IP Lithium wanted to set them to? Or is there a CNAME record I should use instead?