Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'll go ahead and plug The Haunted Mesa by Louis L'Amore again.

It shares a lot with Urban Fantasy, but filtered through the lens of a Western instead of Noir or a police procedural.

It's one of my favorite books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind reading more Archdruid POV stuff about training new druids and having adventures with werewolves that aren't entirely stupid. Atticus and White Girl can die though.

Yeah, White Girl was just pleasantly bland in the background and then in this book suddenly turns into a violent psychopath.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Dienes posted:

Yeah, White Girl was just pleasantly bland in the background and then in this book suddenly turns into a violent psychopath.

If you were trapped in a Kevin Hearne novel would you make it 9 books?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
A new Rivers of London short story has just been released for free as an audiobook.

http://zenoagency.com/news/surprise-new-peter-grant-audio-short-story-a-rare-book-of-cunning-device-out-now/

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/A-Rare-Book-of-Cunning-Device-Audiobook/B071NDRLBK/

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Thorpe posted:

I was walking through a local bookstore a few weeks ago and saw this set up on a shelf and had a laugh. Has to make sure is didn't miss peace talks release or something

What is this, a picture for ants?!

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!
Hmm, I actually liked the Iron Druid when I first read it, mostly because of the hippie kind of magic and because it was refreshing change, to have at least a few locations and protagonists from outside the anglo world (US/UK). After reading this thread, the flaws in the "Purloined Poodle" were really obvious, though.
The opposite happened with the Laundry files, which annoyed the poo poo out of me for the first few books, because my ethnicity, last name and place of birth showed up as attributes of the bad guys. But then came the "Annihilation Score" and all was forgiven. Although Bob Howard is at least equally as annoying as the Iron Druid, in his own way.

Has anybody read the "Tome of Bill" series by Rick Gualtieri? It's about a software developer/nerd being turned into a vampire, who, of course, is destined for greater things.
It has an interesting worldbuilding, a lot of silly/nerdy jokes and also a few rear end kicking female protagonists. Maybe a bit like the later seasons of Buffy.
The 8th book in the series, "The Last Coven" came out a few weeks ago and brings the whole story to a satisfying end.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

goethe42 posted:

Hmm, I actually liked the Iron Druid when I first read it, mostly because of the hippie kind of magic and because it was refreshing change, to have at least a few locations and protagonists from outside the anglo world (US/UK). After reading this thread, the flaws in the "Purloined Poodle" were really obvious, though.
The opposite happened with the Laundry files, which annoyed the poo poo out of me for the first few books, because my ethnicity, last name and place of birth showed up as attributes of the bad guys. But then came the "Annihilation Score" and all was forgiven. Although Bob Howard is at least equally as annoying as the Iron Druid, in his own way.

Has anybody read the "Tome of Bill" series by Rick Gualtieri? It's about a software developer/nerd being turned into a vampire, who, of course, is destined for greater things.
It has an interesting worldbuilding, a lot of silly/nerdy jokes and also a few rear end kicking female protagonists. Maybe a bit like the later seasons of Buffy.
The 8th book in the series, "The Last Coven" came out a few weeks ago and brings the whole story to a satisfying end.

The difference between Bob and Atticus is that Atticus is supposed to be thousands of years old but he acts like a loving teenager.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

goethe42 posted:

The opposite happened with the Laundry files, which annoyed the poo poo out of me for the first few books, because my ethnicity, last name and place of birth showed up as attributes of the bad guys.

I am also an American.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OneTwentySix posted:

You can always read the urban fantasy not worth reading. Iron Druid, anyone?

What about the urban fantasy series Simon R. Green wrote? Does that one count as not worth reading, or is there more than one person (me) actually liking that schlock?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

goethe42 posted:

Tome of Bill was much better than I thought it would be. It kept popping up in my recommendations, so I finally gave it a shot. I ended up liking it for what it was, which is popcorn fiction. It's refreshing to see both strong women characters and a main character that gets seven shades of poo poo stomped out of him on a regular basis as opposed to being AUTHOR INSERT SUPER MAN.
ng

Libluini posted:

What about the urban fantasy series Simon R. Green wrote? Does that one count as not worth reading, or is there more than one person (me) actually liking that schlock?

I was a real fan of the Nightside series through the end of the Lilith arc. After that they just got more and more same old/same old as John Taylor just Gary Stu'd his way through the story. Pretty much the same with the Drood series.

I will say, I do like his world building.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 5, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Libluini posted:

I enjoyed it for what it was. Green had some neat ideas but too often his laziness as a writer bogged everything down. I can't necessarily recommend it, but at the same time I won't dissuade anyone from reading it if they're interested. I would suggest not blowing through the whole series at once, though, because that really, REALLY underscores the problems.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I will say, I do like his world building.
You mean his copy/pasting.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

goethe42 posted:

The writing is terrible, even though he has a decent idea, although the idea is cliched as hell anyway. I read the first one because it kept being recommended to Dresden readers. But, man, the "you're a vampire, here are the rules, but *amazing twist* the rules don't apply to you!!!"

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!
I recently read a short story (Nightstalker)set between first and second book and it was really bad. The story and world really starts to fill out with the "Woods of Mourning", the third book I think.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I am also an American.

Well I'm German and from a small town, so while for an American/Brit/Londoner it may be no big thing to see their hometown or last name from time to time in a book set in the US/UK/London, it was a first for me in the 500 + English books I've read.
While the space Nazis were only annoyingly unoriginal, seeing name and town used by an author who additionally shares my initials made me very briefly consider, if this was the start of my very own real life UF adventure. :tinfoil:
I mean that's​ how at least half of them begin, some funky coincidences happen and suddenly the pasty white nerd throws magic fireballs and zippy one-liners like there's no tomorrow (which often there isn't without him or seldom, her).
Alas, no dice, but at least it made me read on until the POV book of the violin lady, which made me appreciate the Laundry Files infinitely more, especially as they also give one of the most probable explanations for (former Home Secretary)Theresa May. :cthulhu:

goethe42 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 5, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Finally, finally reading Stiletto after however long since it came out. I'm about halfway through it and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Libluini posted:

I've said it before, but while the Nightside sort-of-spinoff standalone Drinking Midnight Wine isn't high lit I find it charming in a way and much less annoying than the mainline Nightside books.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I've said it before, but while the Nightside sort-of-spinoff standalone Drinking Midnight Wine isn't high lit I find it charming in a way and much less annoying than the mainline Nightside books.

Wasn't that one published before Something From the Nightside? I know Shadows Falls was, but Taylor visits it during the Lilith War.

EDIT: Yep, 2001 for Midnight Wine, 2003 for Nightside.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Thanks for the heads up!

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
I just finished the first landry files book. Maybe I'm just jaded but it was awful. The main character felt like a mary sue type person, who never really had to work to achieve anything. The heroine just is magically attracted to him, and he just happens to always make the right decisions. Everyone else is stupid and only he can figure out what to do to win. I really like the math can be a weapon idea, but the rest of it was just nails on a chalkboard. What am i missing that so many people liked about this series?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

evil_cheese posted:

I just finished the first landry files book. Maybe I'm just jaded but it was awful. The main character felt like a mary sue type person, who never really had to work to achieve anything. The heroine just is magically attracted to him, and he just happens to always make the right decisions. Everyone else is stupid and only he can figure out what to do to win. I really like the math can be a weapon idea, but the rest of it was just nails on a chalkboard. What am i missing that so many people liked about this series?

I just read the Atrocity Archives too, and got pretty much exactly the same impression. Bob's an entitled rear end in a top hat that deserves nothing.

Edit: Also there's a professor in the books that says that 'publishing too much' is a bad thing in academia. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dienes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 6, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dienes posted:

I just read the Atrocity Archives too, and got pretty much exactly the same impression. Bob's an entitled rear end in a top hat that deserves nothing.

Edit: Also there's a professor in the books that says that 'publishing too much' is a bad thing in academia. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's been a while since I read the books, but wasn't that referring specifically to mathematics and/or metaphysics? Which in the Laundry Files universe makes complete sense.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

evil_cheese posted:

The first book is not good. It has good parts, but it's not good overall.

The second book drags a bit, but it has one of my favorite plot devices ever.

I love all of the ones after that.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

ConfusedUs posted:

The first book is not good. It has good parts, but it's not good overall.

The second book drags a bit, but it has one of my favorite plot devices ever.

I love all of the ones after that.

The end of the most recent book left me in tears. It was Terry Pratchett level funny.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

flosofl posted:

It's been a while since I read the books, but wasn't that referring specifically to mathematics and/or metaphysics? Which in the Laundry Files universe makes complete sense.

Nope - it was the philosophy prof talking about regular academia before she knew about the whole eldritch math thing.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at the Mercy Thompson books today at Chapters, and wondered at how her tattoos change on the covers. I'm only two novels in, but is it ever stated that she has more than the coyote tattoo on her stomach?

I'm guessing this falls into the same category as Dresden wearing a hat on the covers of his books.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Covers are always inaccurate. She has a single tattoo the whole series and never dresses so you can see it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dienes posted:

Nope - it was the philosophy prof talking about regular academia before she knew about the whole eldritch math thing.

This here?

quote:

“Oh, it was a natural progression. In Edinburgh I was working on inferential reasoning. When I got the job in Arkham I started out doing more of the same, but the belief systems field has been undersubscribed for years, and it seemed like a good place to stake my claim, especially given the interesting closed archives in their stacks: Arkham has a really unique library, you know? I began publishing papers, and that’s about when the poo poo began happening inside the department. Maybe it was departmental politics, but now I’m beginning to wonder.”
“They’ve got long tentacles, not to mention other nameless organs. It would help if I could see the documents you signed.”
“They’re at the office. I can go in and pick them up later.” We’re on a steep slope now, going uphill and I’m breathing hard. Mo has long legs and evidently walks a lot. Exercise or habit?
“Your research,” I say. “You’re certain it’s not about any specific military applications?” I know immediately that I’ve made a mistake. Mo stops and glares at me.
“I’m a philosopher, with a sideline in folk history,” she hisses angrily. “What do you take me for?”
“I’m sorry.” I take a step back. “I’ve got to make sure. That’s all.”
“I shan’t be offended then.” I get a creepy feeling that she means exactly what she says. “No. It’s just, I’m certain—no, positive, in the exact meaning of the word—that it’s not that. A calculus of belief, a theory for deriving confidence limits in statements of unsubstantiated faith, can’t have any military applications, can it?”
“Did you say faith?” I ask, hot and cold chills running up and down my spine. “Specifically, you can analyse the validity of a belief, without—” I stop. “Let’s not get too technical without a whiteboard, hmm?” “Faith can mean several things, depending on who uses the word,” I say. “A theologian and a scientist mean different things by it, for example. And ‘unsubstantiated’ has a dismayingly technical ring to it. But let’s take a hypothetical example. Suppose I assert that I believe in flying pigs. I haven’t seen any, but I have reason to believe that flying peccaries, a related species, exist. You’re saying you could place confidence limits on my belief? Quantify the probability of those porcine aviators existing?

Pretty sure the meaning of "don't publish too much" here isn't what you interpret it as.

Decius fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 7, 2017

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Decius posted:

Pretty sure the meaning of "don't publish too much" here isn't what you interpret it as.

Good thing that wasn't at all what I was talking about.

Atrocity Archives posted:

We eat, and we talk about people things, not necessarily in complimentary terms. Mo explains what it’s like to be married to a New York lawyer and I commiserate, and she asks me what it’s like to live with a manic-depressive psycho bitch from hell, and evidently she’s been talking to Pinky and Brains about things because I find myself describing my relationship with Mhari with sufficient detachment that it might as well be over—ancient history. And she nods and asks if running into Mhari in Accounts and Payroll isn’t embarrassing and this leads to a long discourse on how working for the Laundry is about as embarrassing as things can get: from the paper clip audits to the crazy internal billing system, and about how I hoped that getting into field ops would get me out from under Bridget’s thumb, but no such luck. And Mo explains about tenure track backbiting politics in small American university departments, and about why you can kiss your career goodbye if you publish too much—as well as too little—and about the different ways in which a dual-income no-kiddies couple can self-destruct so messily that I’m left thinking maybe Mhari isn’t that unusual after all.

God, I only hope the meaning of "you can kiss your career goodbye if you publish too much" is what I interpret it as. :rolleyes:

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
These excerpts mostly remind me that I really enjoy the Laundry novels, but I wish Charles Stross would write in past tense. Present tense irks the hell out of me for some reason (I know it's a perfectly valid way to write, it's just a personal dislike that I can't back up with reasons) and it's a testament to Stross's skill that I generally stop noticing it partway into each book because I'm so caught up in the story. As opposed to Chuck Wendig, who I just bounce right off of every time I try to read his stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure whether or not I'll finish the Laundry Files. I expect I probably will - I don't like leaving things incomplete - but at the same time, big, hopeless end-of-the-world plots are about my third least favourite (after assimilation plots where everyone's under some kind of mind control and infection plots where everyone's sick with some kind of disease - those blur together a lot).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dienes posted:

Good thing that wasn't at all what I was talking about.

God, I only hope the meaning of "you can kiss your career goodbye if you publish too much" is what I interpret it as. :rolleyes:

To be fair, the old boy's network in academia is really lovely toward women. Mo's perspective is going to be skewed that way.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

To be fair, the old boy's network in academia is really lovely toward women. Mo's perspective is going to be skewed that way.

I don't think the text has even half the nuance you suggest. (And the general advice I've always received/followed was that a lot of pubs was one of the few ways a woman could overcome the Ol' Boys Club.)

I think its more of a case of Stross not knowing how research in academia really works and talking out his rear end there. Which is fine, he can have flubs same as anyone. But that doesn't make it any less hysterical.

I really like the parts of the novel when they are deep diving into some eldritch poo poo. Its the "What if James Bond was an even more cynical computer janitor?" that I can't get into.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just dropping back in to say that the American Gods TV adaptation is the best urban fantasy I've seen in years.

And also, goddamn, it's been three years since Skin Game was released.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ghetto Prince posted:

Just dropping back in to say that the American Gods TV adaptation is the best urban fantasy I've seen in years.
that is an amazingly amazingly low bar. How does it compare to actual good tv?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

awesmoe posted:

that is an amazingly amazingly low bar. How does it compare to actual good tv?

Personally thought ep1 was a little odd, but then I'm very familiar with the book and may take away different things than your average job public. Seems like it would have been better if you could immediately roll into the second ep a la netflix releases, but there you go.

Watch episode one, and if it doesn't grab you still watch the start of ep 2 because holy poo poo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dienes posted:

I don't think the text has even half the nuance you suggest. (And the general advice I've always received/followed was that a lot of pubs was one of the few ways a woman could overcome the Ol' Boys Club.)

I think its more of a case of Stross not knowing how research in academia really works and talking out his rear end there. Which is fine, he can have flubs same as anyone. But that doesn't make it any less hysterical.

I really like the parts of the novel when they are deep diving into some eldritch poo poo. Its the "What if James Bond was an even more cynical computer janitor?" that I can't get into.

It should probably be pointed out that your criticism doesn't work very well if you're using a word like hysterical to describe it, given the history of that particular word.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

It should probably be pointed out that your criticism doesn't work very well if you're using a word like hysterical to describe it, given the history of that particular word.

That's got to be the most pedantic thing I've ever seen.

Ghetto Prince posted:

drat. I guess I'm going to have to get a Starz subscription off Amazon.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dienes posted:

That's got to be the most pedantic thing I've ever seen.

It was a joke.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Woosh on my part, then. You're still funnier than Stross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I forget exactly where the shift happens, but Bob gets a lot more tolerable later on.

Also later books shift over to other POVs and stories where Bob rarely has all that much to do with the story--other than just surviving so he can write his reports at the end.