Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 Ripley straight up calls it a Xenomorph.

She's not really mis-using the term.

It's mostly become the "official" name because it's a unique word in 'Aliens' that people latched onto because it's memorable, and FOX has never really openly corrected anybody. They've tried floating other "official" species names but they never catch on, and the majority of times when "xenomorph" is used in the fiction, it's used in the same context as it was in 'Aliens'.

"Yautja" came from the novelization of the original AvP comic series (it isn't used in the comic itself), and people latched onto it as a species name because the book was really popular when it came out. Fox just kinda embraced it as the "official" species name after the fact because everyone was already using it anyway - aside from a brief stint in the late-00s when they were called "The Hish", but Fox likes to pretend that didn't happen. The Predator DLC for Mortal Kombat X does make a Hish shout-out, which was pretty funny for long-time turbonerds like me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
'Xenomorph' literally just means 'alien-form'. For context: a 'zoomorph' is an 'animal-form', and an 'anthropomorph' is a 'human-form'. These are actual words.

'Xenomorph' is not a name. It is a term.

The question is, of course, what is being given this alien form. Like, we say that a god or animal is anthropomorphized if it is given a human shape in art. Likewise, we can say that a person or god is zoomorphized if they are given an animal shape in art (e.g. Aslan in the Narnia stories).

So, the joke in Aliens is that Gorman is using technical-sounding language to cover up the fact that they're killing people. The colonists are being 'xenomorphized' by Gorman: "they are no longer like us." His message is that the revolting colonists are like aliens, and we can kill them with impunity.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Vasquez thought Gorman meant illegal alien and signed up

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

alf_pogs posted:

Bingo. In the film, Cameron uses 'aliens' and 'dehumanized people' interchangeably.

The arcturians are literally xenomorphized people. The characters are talking about Thai ladyboys as if they're an alien species.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

That line was ad-libbed because Jeanette Goldstein showed up for her audition thinking the movie was literally about illegal aliens.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Bingo. In the film, Cameron uses 'aliens' and 'dehumanized people' interchangeably.

The arcturians are literally xenomorphized people. The characters are talking about Thai ladyboys as if they're an alien species.

Frost was the best marine, hence Hicks' advice for everybody to be more like him

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You've all been thinking about Aliens in the exact wrong way. The question isn't "Where's Bowski?" but rather "Why Bowski?"

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Funny thing about the 3 riddick movies is the third one is the most critically acclaimed and also the worst.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the best riddick movie is actually a video game

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

alf_pogs posted:

Catchin' Moths in Prison: The Game

To be fair, that's far better than Alien: Isolation which is "Vomiting Mannequin Simulator 2014"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Which is a gag STOLEN from Gremlins 2.

The world wasn't ready for Gremlins 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My world was.

Once I found out Gremlins 2 existed as a kid, I waited months for it to be returned to Blockbuster, and when I finally watched it didn't disappoint. It's an all timer for me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am at the crew premiere in Sydney about to watch the film. Happy to answer questions after I've watched it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Laserface posted:

I am at the crew premiere in Sydney about to watch the film. Happy to answer questions after I've watched it

Who's the Best Boy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Who's the Best Boy?

David

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Dan Dildo

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dude.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Alien isolation is good

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Laserface posted:

pretty jealous! have a great time. my non-spoiler questions are, does the cgi look good / how much remains of the physical effects and is it a cool and fun film?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Despera posted:

Alien isolation is good

true that

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The reviews are up on rotten tomatoes, positive so far

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Despera posted:

The reviews are up on rotten tomatoes, positive so far

This review sounds pretty exciting.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

This is indeed a pretty exciting review.

Alien: Covenant could be....good?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gonz posted:

This is indeed a pretty exciting review.

Alien: Covenant could be....good?

It will be good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually, as it is getting a positive reception, it will instead turn out to be bad and the thread with devolve into constant arguments about how Prometheus was better.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Actually, as it is getting a positive reception, it will instead turn out to be bad and the thread with devolve into constant arguments about how Prometheus was better.

this is already starting with the good reviews saying "boy this made me reconsider prometheus, maybe that movie was good after all"

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Prometheus was generally well received

Though it didn't set James Franco on fire

Despera fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 7, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

Rest assured that wont happen at least.... right away.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
http://uproxx.com/movies/alien-covenant-review/

This rear end in a top hat didn't like David

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
http://weliveentertainment.com/welivefilm/alien-covenant-review-promises-promises/

This rear end in a top hat liked resurrection

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZRZqgH7mro

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Probably rank this fan video third in the series best

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It was a good film and a bad alien film.

The cgi is ok but obvious.

I went into this not knowing anything about the film (I'm a +1 to the crew member) so take that as you will.

It doesn't really do anything new with the the xeno.

It has some good action sequences though.

I feel like it was written purely to make Prometheus make sense.

6/10.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There be blood in the water coming.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What makes a good Alien film?

Because for me, it's 100% doing something new and exciting for the story. Prometheus was the step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/07/alien-covenant-review-ridley-scott-michael-fassbender-katherine-waterston-prometheus

3/5 - "plays like a greatest-hits compilation of the original films’ freakiest moments"

Disappointing or likely to please fans?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Despera posted:

Alien isolation is good

No.

alf_pogs posted:

Which one of them? I like them both.

"No law ever written is as powerful as cold steel."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien Isolation is excellent but I wish it had a code where you could skip to the Alien levels. The first few hours are boring during a replay.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I feel like we've discussed this before, but I feel the opposite. The first few hours were interesting for their art direction, but once you get to the "gameplay" it's just repetitive hide-and-seek with an incredibly simple AI, and just as repetitive quick-time-event-like puzzles and fetch quests. It goes on way too long. I had high hopes for the game, but unless these kinds of horror games manage to find a way to make the monster bits actually enjoyable from a gameplay perspective I'd rather they not even try and go full-on walking simulator.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The first Riddick game (I never got around to playing the second) and Alien: Isolation are both loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The one definite failing of the Isolation was having the window between you getting all the items that could unlock previously inaccessible bonus areas and them being blocked off forever was way too short. Over and over in the games thread just after it was released people would ask when they should start backtracking and nearly every time they'd missed their opportunity.

Very unlikely we're getting a sequel though. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-26-alien-isolation-2-rumour-isnt-true