Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

A Bug posted:

I got a great 'Elite Beat Agents' vibe at the end with everyone cheering me on before Giant Mecha Satan shoots a cup in the face.

If they don't crib that scene for the ending to the dancing game, I will lose all my hope for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

also regarding Shido and Yaeldebeboobs I think they're alright, but kind of demonstrate how difficult it is to have a game that tries to address broad social issues while still providing situations in which stabbing/blowing up a Bad Guy is the successful culmination of your efforts

like for the Universe card at the end it would have made a ton of sense if you'd used the metaverse to Social Link with all of Tokyo and talk them out of apathetically being under the thumb of authority, thus draining Yaeldabaoth of his power, but nope, JRPG tradition dictates that you gotta beat the poo poo out of your problem

you beat up a god in front of them which makes them slowly less apathetic idk

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ROFL Octopus posted:

I could definitely see this but god that guy sucks. Like they get you to hate Kamoshida, but it's in the love-to-hate variety. I assume we're supposed to hate this guy too but most people hate him because he actively makes the narrative worse, not for him being any kind of rear end in a top hat.

A brief summary of the SIU director's role in the plot:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

also regarding Shido and Yaeldebeboobs I think they're alright, but kind of demonstrate how difficult it is to have a game that tries to address broad social issues while still providing situations in which stabbing/blowing up a Bad Guy is the successful culmination of your efforts

like for the Universe card at the end it would have made a ton of sense if you'd used the metaverse to Social Link with all of Tokyo and talk them out of apathetically being under the thumb of authority, thus draining Yaeldabaoth of his power, but nope, JRPG tradition dictates that you gotta beat the poo poo out of your problem

Actually fighting Yaldabaoth didn't really accomplish much, though. It took all of Tokyo breaking away from his control to give Joker the power to strike him down. Sure, it's still in the form of a battle, but it's not like they totally ignored the themes for that fight, either.

I also liked how you got The World card after the fight is over, not before or during it. It was a nice touch--that card is your resolution, not your apotheosis.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

From a couple pages back where people were discussing if Akechi is just a pawn of Shido's rather than a main antagonist, I think it's worth noting he was also a pawn of Yadle to further his control of the world. He wasn't the central villain, but as Joker's rival and antithesis he has more narrative weight than Shido, who ended up another chump of the God of Control.

He definitely could've made some sort of appearance in the last act due to this connection, whereas it'd be harder to justify bringing Shido back. Giving Akechi a second chance to rebel against a master that's manipulated him, for example. They're spoiled for choice if they go looking for ways to use him in a rerelease, I could believe they deliberately didn't bring him back to give a future product a hook.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah there's no way they don't market The Inevitable Persona 5 Updated Release with more Goro Content. Like it or not, he's kinda the most popular thing about this game in Japan so welcome to Season Of Goro

Persona 5 Goro

Persona 5 Goro Ultimax

Persona 5 Goro All Night

Persona 5 Goro: The Animation

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Give more options to poo poo on Goro, like when he says he feels some special connection with you and you can just be like "lol nah"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

slev posted:

Give more options to poo poo on Goro, like when he says he feels some special connection with you and you can just be like "lol nah"

Actually, just give me "Please leave." as an option for every dialogue choice involving Akechi.

Even when it doesn't make sense.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

slev posted:

They should let Justice be the only link that you can actually Reverse.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Yeah there's no way they don't market The Inevitable Persona 5 Updated Release with more Goro Content. Like it or not, he's kinda the most popular thing about this game in Japan so welcome to Season Of Goro

Persona 5 Goro

Persona 5 Goro Ultimax

Persona 5 Goro All Night

Persona 5 Goro: The Animation

There is no way to get the Harem ending in the female version of P5 because Goro will murder the poo poo out of Yuuki, Ryuji, and Yusuke when Ryuji blabs.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like to think Akira is too good for Mishima.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Bogart posted:

I like to think Akira is too good for Mishima.

All I want out of a Mishima romance is the ability to absolutely crush his soul like Fester's wife does in Addam's Family Values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qJtJwcT41w

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

dragon_pamcake posted:

There is no way to get the Harem ending in the female version of P5 because Goro will murder the poo poo out of Yuuki, Ryuji, and Yusuke when Ryuji blabs.
this is more than fine

e: more great hindsight akechi moments

Goro spends ten minutes blackmailing everyone and the room is tense, borderline hostile. He ends the conversation with "I'm glad we could talk. It's been a while since I've been able to spend such a meaningful time like this."

goro you sad, sad boy

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 7, 2017

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Playing through NG+, doing Sae's palace.

During this entire ruse I have a hard time believing Ryuji "ITS ALL THANKS TO US BEING PHANTOM THIEVES" Sakamoto is able to keep it together and act inconspicuously.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
If this is the place to complain: one thing I absolutely wanted more of was buildup on the Holy Grail thing.

The final sequence with Mementos Depths felt so... out of nowhere compared to the rest of the Palaces. Especially the Holy Grail -- the rapid movement from "oh, Mementos's treasure is a grail" to "oh, the grail talks?" to "It's the Holy Grail" to "Jesus Christ it's also Igor and the demiurge and reality is Mementos and aaaaa." Like -- why not expand Shido's goals? He doesn't just want to seize hold of Japan's future; he's becoming the ruler of all Japan's cognition -- and thus becoming master of Mementos, the collective unconscious realm described in Wakaba Isshiki's research. And once he can force its doors open as the Lord of All Japan, he'll go in to claim the root of all desires -- the legendary cup which caught the blood of Christ, the cup which grants immortality and perfection and which signifies divine right, the Holy Grail. After all, "virtuous rogues race against evil government to claim sacred artifact" is a classic plot.

And once it's been built up as the source of the nation's distorted desires, then you set up a heist and the Yaldabaoth reveal.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Night Blade posted:

During this entire ruse I have a hard time believing Ryuji "ITS ALL THANKS TO US BEING PHANTOM THIEVES" Sakamoto is able to keep it together and act inconspicuously.

My good friend Ryuji is more than able to be on his best behaviour in order to dunk on huge loser Goro Akechi.

Also tbf, Ryuji is mainly just super excitable and talks about how cool it is to be Phantom Thieves because he forgets the current situation, while i'm sure he's on guard when in the vicinity of a shady rear end in a top hat who's currently blackmailing them and also planning to sell them out behind their backs.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Night Blade posted:

In every team meeting scene after Okumura dies, Ryuji is just so loving mad all the time. Like he's screaming about how effed it all is and his ENG VA really sounds like he's about to throw a chair through a wall. I'm surprised he hasn't ground his teeth into dust

also Futaba''s schmoozing up to Goro is super funny when you know what she's doing. Snagging his phone over how cool it is and telling him how cool and pretty he is. Goro doesn't react at all, but it's still real silly

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

In every team meeting scene after Okumura dies, Ryuji is just so loving mad all the time. Like he's screaming about how effed it all is and his ENG VA really sounds like he's about to throw a chair through a wall. I'm surprised he hasn't ground his teeth into dust

He calms down a bit after that outburst when the bounty comes out and he has that call with Joker, apologising for how lovely he's been.

Edit: His VA just being so goddamn furious about all the poo poo that's happened is exceptional though and really sells the scene. Dude sounds legitimately close to just breaking into tears at points.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I really like the call. The anger scenes are good too, I wasn't knocking em. They sell his genuine rage and frustration in way that actually makes you uncomfortable, yet still believable

Like yes Ryuji I get it, it sucks, but you are scaring everyone i know you dont mean to

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Going through NG+, something I notice as letdowns are the group chats. In addition to there being too many with nothing interesting to say, none of them read like actual text messages. Why does everyone use fully-formed and grammatically correct sentences, and where are the emojis/emoticons? There is one conversation where Futaba types some goofy faces and that's it. They might as well be spoken aloud to one another for how well they mimic IMs. They might not be as disappointing if Tokyo Mirage Sessions hadn't already done text messages correctly.

My positive observation: every scene featuring Sojiro is really good. I just got back to the scene where he learns you're a Phantom Thief and his writing and voice acting are both perfect for it. The way he said "Oh?" when you tell him not to blame Futaba had this quiet accusatory tone to it that was so cool. Sojiro is def. my favorite character from this game.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ajkalan posted:

Going through NG+, something I notice as letdowns are the group chats. In addition to there being too many with nothing interesting to say, none of them read like actual text messages. Why does everyone use fully-formed and grammatically correct sentences, and where are the emojis/emoticons? There is one conversation where Futaba types some goofy faces and that's it. They might as well be spoken aloud to one another for how well they mimic IMs. They might not be as disappointing if Tokyo Mirage Sessions hadn't already done text messages correctly.

My positive observation: every scene featuring Sojiro is really good. I just got back to the scene where he learns you're a Phantom Thief and his writing and voice acting are both perfect for it. The way he said "Oh?" when you tell him not to blame Futaba had this quiet accusatory tone to it that was so cool. Sojiro is def. my favorite character from this game.

a lot of the text chains are things that may or may not show up on certain days depending on the situation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ajkalan posted:

I like the group chats because things like Ryuji taling about having to get a loan from Ann for a train ticket as a kid since he spent all his money buying a toy Dolphin for his mum are good and nice moments for developing characters, that probably would be awkward to put into the in person meet ups. There's probably too many nothing conversations as well but I don't mind them that much.

Also yeah, Sojiro is the best character and the perfect coffee Dad. I love him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What happens if you get into a fight while a rat on Shidos ship? Does it let you escape or are you forced to watch your team get punched in the head until they all die?

Never got caught and been kinda curious.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
You start the fight with all party members inflicted with the rat status ailment, which I believe makes you randomly either do nothing or attempt to run each turn?

I don't think the ailment's unique to that dungeon; I'm pretty sure I was inflicted with it in a fight earlier in the game as well, though I don't remember who by.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NRVNQSR posted:

You start the fight with all party members inflicted with the rat status ailment, which I believe makes you randomly either do nothing or attempt to run each turn?

I don't think the ailment's unique to that dungeon; I'm pretty sure I was inflicted with it in a fight earlier in the game as well, though I don't remember who by.

It's by Mot in Futaba's dungeon. In that instance it just passes your turn every time saying " [Character] is rattled! "

Figured it would just be nothing but "the part is rattled!" while you got beat up which made those mazes kind of intimidating :v:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's by Mot in Futaba's dungeon. In that instance it just passes your turn every time saying " [Character] is rattled! "

Figured it would just be nothing but "the part is rattled!" while you got beat up which made those mazes kind of intimidating :v:

Yeah, certainly on Normal you flee within a few rounds in the Shido's palace version.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The little battle end screen animation that plays when you're a rat is ftw.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Two things that are annoying me in my current NG+ run: While you can get Hifumi's Mementos request in early July, it's located so low that you can't get there until after Futaba has woken up and you've sat through all the mandatory socializing events that take up your daytime slots until August 30. And since you have an unfinished Mementos request, even if you can't reach it, you'll keep getting nagged by your party members " WE HAVE UNFINISHED MEMENTOS REQUESTS!!!!" for the one and a half month+ it takes for the floor to be unlocked. It feels like that scenario should've been caught in QA because it's far from only that one that can cause the constant reminders about requests you can't complete.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, it's an NG+ run. The stat lock is probably there to discourage you from breaking to it early. Most new players won't be able to hit that point yet and will go do other SLs.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

If this is the place to complain: one thing I absolutely wanted more of was buildup on the Holy Grail thing.

This is a Good Post and would have been a better use of the Shido/Goro exposition scene.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, it's an NG+ run. The stat lock is probably there to discourage you from breaking to it early. Most new players won't be able to hit that point yet and will go do other SLs.

Yes, I can live with having to wait. I just wish my party members would stop making GBS threads up my message box with constant requests to finish it when it's impossible to do so.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

This is a Good Post and would have been a better use of the Shido/Goro exposition scene.

I don't think that's the best place for Holy Grail foreshadowing. Since it's just one scene that comes at the end of the Gang totally pulling one over on the villains. I'm not sure it's the right time to lay the groundwork for the treasure of the masses that grants their distorted desires.

If anything I think more could have been done with the small scenes you get whenever you complete a Mementos floor. Like, that's when all the "man, Mementos is a weird place with lots of unsolved mysteries" foreshadowing occurs. Just maybe introduce the concept of a theoretical treasure to the palace sooner and go into what the place represents a bit before the end-game. The mystery of Mementos should probably also have come up more in the Morgana confidant rather than repeating the same scene of his birth 5 times, since the Cat is the character most tied to the place and it'd make decent sense for it to come up during his link.

I don't know if the Holy Grail itself needs to be elaborated on beforehand though. Because I honestly think it works how you get to the bottom of Mementos and "Holy poo poo, it's treasure is the Mother loving Holy Grail. This is kind of a big deal". It's a well known and powerful symbol, and I think that makes its sudden appearance feel pretty interesting and important. Especially since in hindsight it fits Mementos really well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

While I'm listening to the soundtrack, I think one reason I loved the finale of Persona 5 so much was how well this music matched up with what was going on (especially if you have the dialog on auto-advance, then it's perfect):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFgh6JJ1R20

Yaldabaoth's theme is kind of forgettable but it sets up "Our Beginning" so I think that's worth it. Everything about that finale is so gloriously triumphant and rad as hell and I love it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you should rebel against society, except for the gays who should be kept down and go away because theyre icky

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if the Holy Grail itself needs to be elaborated on beforehand though. Because I honestly think it works how you get to the bottom of Mementos and "Holy poo poo, it's treasure is the Mother loving Holy Grail. This is kind of a big deal". It's a well known and powerful symbol, and I think that makes its sudden appearance feel pretty interesting and important. Especially since in hindsight it fits Mementos really well.

One thing that sticks in my mind is there is one lesson (with that teacher with glasses) where she talks about how the suite of hearts in poker cards used to represent the Holy Grail. That's a cute touch.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Night Blade posted:

The actual surprise there is Ann, who manages not to blow everything by using her "I'M ACTING" voice while talking to Akechi.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing that sticks in my mind is there is one lesson (with that teacher with glasses) where she talks about how the suite of hearts in poker cards used to represent the Holy Grail. That's a cute touch.

There was similar foreshadowing in Persona 4, I think during the school trip to Gekkoukan High. The teacher does a lesson about Izanami and Izanagi that foreshadows some of Persona 4's true ending.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
persona 5 SIUltimax

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dolash posted:

The actual surprise there is Ann, who manages not to blow everything by using her "I'M ACTING" voice while talking to Akechi.

Don't forget Makoto "NO I'M NOT FOLLOWING YOU DON'T BE SILLY" Niijima and Haru "I FORGOT MY NEXT LINE" Okumura.

The Phantom Thieves have issues with subtlety. Which just makes the fact that they were able completely play Goro like a drat fiddle that much more impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AG3 posted:

Two things that are annoying me in my current NG+ run: While you can get Hifumi's Mementos request in early July, it's located so low that you can't get there until after Futaba has woken up and you've sat through all the mandatory socializing events that take up your daytime slots until August 30. And since you have an unfinished Mementos request, even if you can't reach it, you'll keep getting nagged by your party members " WE HAVE UNFINISHED MEMENTOS REQUESTS!!!!" for the one and a half month+ it takes for the floor to be unlocked. It feels like that scenario should've been caught in QA because it's far from only that one that can cause the constant reminders about requests you can't complete.

They do the same thing with futaba where you have to wait until Okumura has a literal meltdown.

Later in a NG+ run I found that party members would ask to go to Mementos after all current requests were completed. :psyduck:

Kurtofan posted:

persona 5 SIUltimax

:catstare:

• Locked thread