Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

Just fixed the elevator and went back down to the lobby. Oh so you hate fighting nightmares? How about a nightmare, two telepaths, one weaver and one named Typhon at once?

Yeah I just noped back up that elevator after taking all that in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At some point in the game killing everything you see becomes less and less of a realistic option, which is actually kind of refreshing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love that what Arkane decided that System Shock 2 needed was someone to come in at the 3/4 mark of the story and start acting like the bad guy from Die Hard until you kill him or otherwise deal with him. i actually love this, dahl loving owns

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I haven't tried using the typhon mod which breaks control but freeing all the living bro's from telepaths and then just leaving their unconcious bodies as I go about doing my thing just seems...odd? I imagine they just drop unconcious too if you break their mind control using the psymod?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SoggyGravy posted:

I haven't tried using the typhon mod which breaks control but freeing all the living bro's from telepaths and then just leaving their unconcious bodies as I go about doing my thing just seems...odd? I imagine they just drop unconcious too if you break their mind control using the psymod?

in a loading screen, the game says that if you break the control they eventually make their way to the cargo bay with the other survivors

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

At some point in the game killing everything you see becomes less and less of a realistic option, which is actually kind of refreshing.

Already hitting this point relatively early on, but that might just be on account of it being on Nightmare difficulty. As soon as the phantoms that split into two phantoms when alerted start showing up, it gets a bit dicey although I've still managed to scrape by so far.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Prey has moments of that rare feeling in games were you act according to how you yourself would, rather than by the contrived laws and expectations of a game world.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I spend most of my day hitting things with a wrench.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rinkles posted:

Prey has moments of that rare feeling in games were you act according to how you yourself would, rather than by the contrived laws and expectations of a game world.

I absolutely loved (very late game spoilers) when the giant Typhon thing attacked the station, i dragged Alex's unconscious body back to his bunker, and then found out that this was actually how you were supposed to save him, fantastic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bogart posted:

I spend most of my day hitting things with a wrench.

Exactly!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this thread really needs a title change to reflect how loving amazing this game is

edit: for a suggestion, Prey - best game ever.. or is it a mimic

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 7, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Walrus posted:

this thread really needs a title change to reflect how loving amazing this game is

"Prey - It's System Shock 3, okay"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
God dammit that jump scare from calibrating the looking glass. Coffee cups and whatnot turning into mimics doesn't get me much but that one sure did.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Walrus posted:

Prey: Yu just buy it right now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think I found a Mimic

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's Metroid when Metroid was good but scanning every god drat thing has been replaced by collecting every god drat thing

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Igthorn posted:

It's Metroid when Metroid was good but scanning every god drat thing has been replaced by collecting every god drat thing

but man gotta have those cubes man, feels so good makin cubes... need more cubes

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So whats the cutoff for Typhon mods before you get shot by turrets? I basically only want Mindjack so I can save people ( which means I have to take the initial power to unlock it ), then the Blink.

Three in total, only one past t1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rookersh posted:

So whats the cutoff for Typhon mods before you get shot by turrets? I basically only want Mindjack so I can save people ( which means I have to take the initial power to unlock it ), then the Blink.

Pretty sure it's one. In practice it doesn't matter that much because by the halfway point in the game all the turrets seem to have already been smashed by enemies anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rookersh posted:

I *think* you will be okay, I want to say it took five to start having a bad effect. Up until then they won't open fire but they will make comments.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I posted earlier that they started shooting at me at three, the last of which was a second tier in a power. so its either three or going above tier one. so no good for you.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm guessing I'm nearing the final act of the game or close to it and man. I really loving hate the military operators, they have so much hp and are just annoying to fight and come in swarms, as well as seemingly infinite respawn from the fabricators?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MORE NIGHTMARE EVASIONS

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
have they mentioned when stuff like the objective indicator toggles will be patched in yet, i know they delayed the non-ini-edity FOV slider until they fixed some in-game cutscene issues

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Got 3.5 hours in today, went with the Xbone version. Blurrier than I'd like, but it controls great, so it's a push as far as I'm concerned, at least until the PS4 version gets parity, and I might be done with it by then anyway.

Game is great. Best Bioshock since Bioshock 1. Kinda crazy how little Bethesda pushed this game before release seeing as how it's good, though I guess they kinda did the same thing with DOOM.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm guessing I'm nearing the final act of the game or close to it and man. I really loving hate the military operators, they have so much hp and are just annoying to fight and come in swarms, as well as seemingly infinite respawn from the fabricators?

You have the stun gun, right? Upgrade that poo poo. At max stats, you can near oneshot them at ~15m with the stealth buff and have 15 shots per 100 charge.

Started a new playthrough and decided to 'take advantage' of the recycler dupe... I think I'm not gonna have to worry about materials this run. At all. Hello infinite neuromods...

Edit: Got to my office... and the preorder shotgun wasn't in the safe. WTF. If that's a first playthru only kind of thing... Wrong loving safe. I swear I'm blind sometimes.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 7, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rinkles posted:

At certain points I have to step away from the game, not because it's scary, but because I don't want to see the NOCs get doomed before my very eyes.

Arkane groks, as Looking Glass / Ion Storm did, that plot choice is just another minigame when presented plainly. Nobody ever gives you a binary choice to be made in the moment. There are only actions to be taken or not taken, with the player left to guess as to the consequences.

If they deliver on some of the promises this plot is making, we could be looking at a bigger and better achievement than Witcher 3. It really could be the GOAT. And I say this as someone who had exceedingly low expectations going in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
love the game so far but disappointed in the post credit stuff. why does every good game need a dumb rear end twist ending that makes everything pointless

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm still working through Prey, but it being so good has made me want to play Dishonored 2 once I'm finished. I avoided it at release because of all the reports of a lovely PC port, but how is it now? Would I be able to get a smooth 60fps at 1080p on a GTX 1060?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ambaire posted:

You have the stun gun, right? Upgrade that poo poo. At max stats, you can near oneshot them at ~15m with the stealth buff and have 15 shots per 100 charge.
Wait, upgrading it ends up giving you more shots per ammo "unit" instead of just increasing the amount of shots you get before you reload? I'm going to upgrade the poo poo out of that if so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You people just could not help yourselves could you.

This game is great! The controls are kind of annoying on kb/m and the movement is just as weird and imprecise feeling as it was in Dishonored 2 but I'm liking it so far otherwise. My only other criticism is that the player's hand feels way too close to their face and it is very distracting.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, upgrading it ends up giving you more shots per ammo "unit" instead of just increasing the amount of shots you get before you reload? I'm going to upgrade the poo poo out of that if so.

Yeah, same thing applies to the Q-beam. Near the end, I was killing weavers with ~40% charge.

One thing I love about PREY is that both autosaves and quicksaves have a rotating series of 3. You always have 2 prior quicksaves to revert to if needed.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 7, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

love the game so far but disappointed in the post credit stuff. why does every good game need a dumb rear end twist ending that makes everything pointless

Because we need that sweet sequel hook, I guess.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Because we need that sweet sequel hook, I guess.

I know I am naive, but god I hope that Arkane leaves this as a standalone. The mechanics and styling were perfect for Talos, moving it elsewhere is going to... well, Bioshock 2.

There's a zero percent chance of this being a one-off if it sells well given how it ends, but I can hope dammit.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Here, have the maxed weapon stats for the Margrave, Q-Beam and Disruptor Stun Gun. Note the Margrave's stats are with the +50% security neuromod.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Think I've broken the game near the end. I have to disable Dahl's Tech Officer but the marker disappeared after I completed the bit where Dahl starts pumping nitrogen into the station. It tells me to go outside but there's not actually anything out there.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Things to know about that.
-Operators, military variation or otherwise, are vulnerable to the GLOO gun, which will immobilize them giving you enough time to hack them or whack them with your wrench.
-The Disruptor Stun Gun is super effective against them, they'll die to a couple of shots from it.
-The fabricators will only produce a finite amount of them, something around 4-6 of them, and only two at a time.
-Turrets > Blackbox Operators in a fight.
-EMP plus a Recycler charge works wonders against them.

-If all else fails, Q-beam them. Q-beam everything!

E: The full upgraded Q-beam is the deadliest weapon in the game, nothing is safe against it. NOTHING!

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 7, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phoix posted:

Think I've broken the game near the end. I have to disable Dahl's Tech Officer but the marker disappeared after I completed the bit where Dahl starts pumping nitrogen into the station. It tells me to go outside but there's not actually anything out there.

There should be a bot out there in a tunnel surrounded by other enemy bots. If you can't find the marker then I guess you could follow the line of enemies to them, although it's just a niche in the side of the station

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Back Hack posted:

E: The full upgraded Q-beam is the deadliest weapon in the game, nothing is safe against it. NOTHING!

Is it? I've found it pretty anemic compared to the shotgun or even just the golden gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the shotgun, it really chumped the Nightmare dude for me, to the point where I was pretty disappointed after all the build up. My fight went like this: I spawned into an area with him just right in front of me and running straight at me (he literally appeared out of thin air), and because I had just saved I got a chance to actually move after he killed me in one hit the first time. So began a pretty drawn-out battle of me circle strafing around him and shooting him in the head, occasionally getting killed in one hit. Then after a couple tries I just unceremoniously blew it up and that was the end of that. Is it... going to come back, or was that the end of it?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 7, 2017