Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Marine/Army/Navy gimmicks are all pretty much the most generic gimmicks of all time that every 2 bit Indy has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

He said served. Orton basically bailed right after training, didn't he?

Orton was bad conduct discharged, which isn't as bad as a dishonorable discharge but still bad. He spent 38 days locked up for it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

shiksa posted:

that guy Steve Cutler? in nxt his whole thing is that he was in the army or whatever.

actually I'd be really into a heel stolen valor gimmick. it'd make me laugh at least

Backstage vignettes where they're hounded by the face just yelling "sir! Sir! Excuse me sir! Who was your commanding officer?"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Didn't Orton get discharged for going AWOL on a routine, non-combat appearance?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, he went AWOL

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

He was going to be The Marine after Cena but the irl marines shut his rear end down.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
are there wwe uk spoilers

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Benne posted:

Didn't Orton get discharged for going AWOL on a routine, non-combat appearance?

He was stuck in the House of Horrors

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

are there wwe uk spoilers

Dark match:
Roy Johnson defeats HC Dyer

Mark Andrews defeats James Drake via SSP, gets shot at UK title
Akira Tozawa and Saxon Huxkley defeat The Brian Kendrick and Tony Nese (Tozawa pins Nese)
Pete Dunne defeats Sam Gradwell
TJP defeats Rich Swann via submission
Tyson T-Bone defeats Dan Moloney
Trent Seven defeats Wolfgang
Tyler Bate retains UK title over Joseph Conners

Tomorrow's taping has Andrews/Bate for the title, and Dunne/Trent for #1 contendership (shot happening at Takeover Chicago)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Push Wolfgang you fuckers :mad:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Dark match:

Akira Tozawa and Saxon Huxkley defeat The Brian Kendrick and Tony Nese (Tozawa pins Nese)

Tomorrow's taping has Andrews/Bate for the title, and Dunne/Trent for #1 contendership (shot happening at Takeover Chicago)

UK show but uses cruiserweights and put the UK talent in the dark match. Then has two UK get squashed by Braun on a Raw house show. Good job WWE.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Aphrodite posted:

Orton was bad conduct discharged, which isn't as bad as a dishonorable discharge but still bad. He spent 38 days locked up for it.

Update: Randy Orton is cool.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

Update: Randy Orton is cool.

He's racist and voted Trump

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mark andrews already challenged for the uk title he should be at the back of the line

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Counterpoint his wife is hot. Counter counter his tattoos are and always will be super lovely.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Just like the company he works for but that doesn't stop people here from loving it!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Just like the company he works for but that doesn't stop people here from loving it!

no one loves wwe its just stockholm syndrome

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I love the talent because they're all extremely talented and by and large most of them seem like really cool, nice people, and my NINE NINETY NINE presumably, in part, reaches them in some way. There's not much moral conflict here.

All corporations are run by garbage people because those are the only kinds of people that get to the top of the corporate world. Basically anything you spend money on is gonna line the pockets of some dreadful caricature of a human being. I'm pretty sure 30 Rock did a bit about this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they're pushing the main event tomorrow as a takeover title shot, are they gonna run these eps soon?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, he went AWOL outta nowhere

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

sportsgenius86 posted:

If they're pushing the main event tomorrow as a takeover title shot, are they gonna run these eps soon?

you'd imagine, yeah. i'd expect it'll air after nxt this week and during nxt phillips will narrate a package about how it'll be defended at takeover with the contestants being decided in a one hour special AIRING LIVE NEXT

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

What I'm most hyped about is that "I dun a murder" guy is back.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

I love the talent because they're all extremely talented and by and large most of them seem like really cool, nice people, and my NINE NINETY NINE presumably, in part, reaches them in some way. There's not much moral conflict here.

All corporations are run by garbage people because those are the only kinds of people that get to the top of the corporate world. Basically anything you spend money on is gonna line the pockets of some dreadful caricature of a human being. I'm pretty sure 30 Rock did a bit about this.

Actually they aren't giving talent a cut of the network money, so all the money they'd get for PPVs and DVDs that was lost with the switchover? They don't get a dime.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I only want to endorse a culturally diverse, green, modern wrestling product, like Lucha Underground. #sexystar4ever

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

KungFu Grip posted:

no one loves wwe its just stockholm syndrome

agreed 100%

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

Actually they aren't giving talent a cut of the network money, so all the money they'd get for PPVs and DVDs that was lost with the switchover? They don't get a dime.

Hmmmm.

That's bad.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Dark match:

Today!

Wolfgang defeats Joseph Conners
TJP and The Brian Kendrick defeat Dan Moloney and Rich Swann
Tyson T-Bone defeats Saxon Huxley
Akira Tozawa defeats Tony Nese
Sam Gradwell defeats James Drake
Pete Dunne defeats Trent Seven to be #1 contender for the UK title
Tyler Bate retains UK title over Mark Andrews. WWE UK champ vs PROGRESS champ, Bate vs Dunne, at Takeover Chicago

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Chris James 2 posted:

Pete Dunne defeats Trent Seven to be #1 contender for the UK title
Tyler Bate retains UK title over Mark Andrews. WWE UK champ vs PROGRESS champ, Bate vs Dunne, at Takeover Chicago

helllll yes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Can't imagine how that one is gonna go!

VJeff posted:

Hmmmm.

That's bad.

And when wrestlers tried to find out what the deal was management kept putting off addressing it until people stopped asking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wasn't that allegedly what put CM Punk over the edge?

The fact that they managed to just make it standard without having to ever really explain or address it really does once again speak to how badly WWE needs a union.

I also imagine it changes the math on wrestlers' goals. I'm sure most wrestlers will still strive to be in WWE and rise to the top, but if the pay is down then it does seem to encourage this thing that seems to be happening where wrestlers do their time in WWE and then step out to make money as ex-WWE talents who can control their own schedules.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I hope Dunne goes over. Bate's had a fun run but Dunne's heel charisma is fantastic.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh I realise now that they changed their plans for WM30 because Network subs weren't at a stable, profitable level and most of their revenue still came from PPVs and DVDs and stuff like that, whereas they could afford to push Roman into the main event of the last three WMs because people would still subscribe to the Network regardless of his push

they're literally just doing what Vince wants because they're making money regardless of who's pushed to the top, so if they have an ace that works a safe style + works really good matches now and again, who gives a poo poo about what the fans think?

(of course, this mindset will change quite sharply when their TV deal expires and/or when Vince dies)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

like Dave said, it's not like there's a Daniel Bryan in the roster getting massive reactions and not getting pushed. Both Seth and Finn clearly are getting pushed but they aren't setting the crowd on fire. Ditto Joe and Sami.

Dave had a funny comment about the last PPV, where the fan reactions leaving the arena were pretty much evenly split between "Holy poo poo that Bray/Orton match sucked" and "holy poo poo that Roman/Braun match was awesome"

Why the gently caress would anyone get excited for Sami Zayn in 2017?

I love his work to death, and think he's great at the job, but his booking has been so consistently hosed that cheering for him is pointless because he's just going to lose. He only gets beat up so they can make a heel look good by kicking his rear end, and that stops being effective when it becomes clear the face is a jobber.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

tbh I realise now that they changed their plans for WM30 because Network subs weren't at a stable, profitable level and most of their revenue still came from PPVs and DVDs and stuff like that, whereas they could afford to push Roman into the main event of the last three WMs because people would still subscribe to the Network regardless of his push

they're literally just doing what Vince wants because they're making money regardless of who's pushed to the top, so if they have an ace that works a safe style + works really good matches now and again, who gives a poo poo about what the fans think?

(of course, this mindset will change quite sharply when their TV deal expires and/or when Vince dies)

Doesn't really change when Vince dies because HHH loves Roman too. Well, by the time Vince dies Roman will probably be retired so yeah maybe the top guy will change by then.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Vincent Kennedy Mcmahon will never die, actually

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Liquid Communism posted:

I love his work to death, and think he's great at the job, but his booking has been so consistently hosed that cheering for him is pointless because he's just going to lose. He only gets beat up so they can make a heel look good by kicking his rear end, and that stops being effective when it becomes clear the face is a jobber.

It also doesn't help that even in kayfabe he's a complete non-threat. Guy dresses up like a taxi cab driver, dances around like a moron from 1997 and is referred to as "the underdog from the underground"? Uh... yeah let me tremble in my boots here for a minute.

At this point, he seems like such a doofus that I don't know how they could possibly make him cool again, outside of having him end a match covered in blood and go on a rampage. Actually there you go. Make the fucker snap.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Platypus Farm posted:

It also doesn't help that even in kayfabe he's a complete non-threat. Guy dresses up like a taxi cab driver, dances around like a moron from 1997 and is referred to as "the underdog from the underground"? Uh... yeah let me tremble in my boots here for a minute.

At this point, he seems like such a doofus that I don't know how they could possibly make him cool again, outside of having him end a match covered in blood and go on a rampage. Actually there you go. Make the fucker snap.

Put him back under the mask as El Generico and have him do 5 BRAINBUSTAAAAAAHHHs to Braun

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, it worked in NXT because him losing was to build to the big win, not just to get the heel of the month over. And Bryan was a unique situation where you'd have to be literally deaf and blind to ignore the reaction (and they still tried to ignore it until Batista's return as a face bombed as a main event angle)

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/861642769437249536

Ember's Out for Takeover. Please put the belt on Nikki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Venomous posted:

You're talking about the Miz in that second paragraph, right?