Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

So has Garrison said anything about Trump literally saying "I'm a globalist"?

Search your heart and you will know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cpt.Americant posted:

I seriously don't get this view. Like, what the gently caress do people think is the worst case scenario of Obama giving a speech to a room full of bankers? Are they all some kind of vampires and by taking their money he'll become a vampire too? Will accepting the check undo Dodd-Frank? Why the gently caress should someone who is objectively amazing at giving speeches not be allowed to be paid to give speeches now that he's out of office?

IMHO he should ask for a lot more money.

And then use it to fund some anti-bank lobbying groups.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

santanotreal posted:

"We need more nationalism" -the exact opposite lesson anyone should have learned from the past 100 years of history

What was it but nationalism, the sense that we needed to defend our nation and its democratic ideals, that spurred our efforts to defeat the Axis powers?

Nationalism was of course at the core of fascism's rise, but nationalism also was an instrument (among many) of its defeat. It's almost as though one can have a healthy, moderate nationalism versus an unhealthy, toxic nationalism.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Internet Kraken posted:

Garrison: please dont make me self reflect and say I was wrong. If I just ignore when people I liked say things I dont like, i dont have to admit my views might be flawed.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hihohe posted:

Garrison: please dont make me self reflect and say I was wrong. If I just ignore when people I liked say things I dont like, i dont have to admit my views might be flawed.

Didn't a Trump supporting "expert" come on CNN to say almost explicitly that?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Quick, start editing his images and make them into Trump being globalist at every turn and spam up his twitter with them, maybe we'll convert him back to into his original, less terrible form.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CountFosco posted:

What was it but nationalism, the sense that we needed to defend our nation and its democratic ideals, that spurred our efforts to defeat the Axis powers?

Nationalism was of course at the core of fascism's rise, but nationalism also was an instrument (among many) of its defeat. It's almost as though one can have a healthy, moderate nationalism versus an unhealthy, toxic nationalism.

There's no such thing as moderate nationalism. Nationalism is never "our country is great and I want to share what makes it great with the rest of the world." It's always "our country is great and everyone else is trying to steal everything that makes it great, gently caress off!"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CountFosco posted:

The healthy, moderate kind is usually called "patriotism" rather than "nationalism."

Though the point about WWII specifically is an interesting one. It's often raised (in a slightly different form) by far-rightists: "We're not fascist because our beliefs are essentially those of Churchill/MacArthur/my Greatest Generation grandfather." Though in that context, the correct answer is probably to just roll your eyes.

The broader issue of the difficulty of motivating people to risk their lives for liberal democracy for its own sake remains, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 6, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Internet Kraken posted:

basically every other President has lived off speaking fees after leaving office.
And by "basically every president ever" we mean "the last two".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Internet Kraken posted:

No, and hell, can you blame him? Any possible explanation totally wrecks Garrison's worldview. Either Trump actually is a filthy globalist traitor, Trump is an idiot talking out of his rear end and doesn't know what "globalist" means in the minds of his followers (this is the real explanation), or Trump is lying for the sake of political gain. Can't really spin it in a way that's consistent with his image of Trump.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

No, and hell, can you blame him? Any possible explanation totally wrecks Garrison's worldview. Either Trump actually is a filthy globalist traitor, Trump is an idiot talking out of his rear end and doesn't know what "globalist" means in the minds of his followers (this is the real explanation), or Trump is lying for the sake of political gain. Can't really spin it in a way that's consistent with his image of Trump.

What about "heh, Trump has those filthy globalist Jews fooled, he's getting them right where he wants them".

Aryan buff big hands Trump standing in front of a rabbit hole, a big spiked club labelled "white purity" hidden behind his back, a big nosed snake poking it's head out while Trump says "it's alright, we're friends..."

This poo poo is easy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The fact that his image of Trump doesn't allow lying for political gain is pretty :laffo:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
While other Trump supporters have been more than willing to say "he tells it like it is" and "he's a master of 5D chess! Linguistic kill shot!" in the same sentence, Garrison seems to always take Trump at his word and is very much tied to the "he's just a plain talker who earnestly speaks to the problems in our society" image of him. I could be wrong, though. There might be a counter-example in one of his comics.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

apokaladle posted:

Somebody better get that avatar.

You see your duty quickly, citizen.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Pakled posted:

While other Trump supporters have been more than willing to say "he tells it like it is" and "he's a master of 5D chess! Linguistic kill shot!" in the same sentence, Garrison seems to always take Trump at his word and is very much tied to the "he's just a plain talker who earnestly speaks to the problems in our society" image of him. I could be wrong, though. There might be a counter-example in one of his comics.

Wasn't Garrison the one who unironically drew Trump playing multidimensional chess with the Mexican president?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wolves hunt in packs, Arisen.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Mystic Mongol posted:

Your service is appreciated.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ularg posted:

Wolves hunt in packs, Arisen.

The long night has come! The Dragon's Reign, at last, her work begins!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CountFosco posted:

What the poo poo?? Internationalism and the creation of large cooperative international communities was baked in to the goals of the Allies and the Axis both.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

apokaladle posted:

Your service is appreciated.

"How do you do, fellow antifa?" is a good av title and is also a good thread title if we didn't already have Gotta go fasc.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 7, 2017

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The level of wittiness of this political commentary is off the charts and through the floors.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Cpt.Americant posted:

I seriously don't get this view. Like, what the gently caress do people think is the worst case scenario of Obama giving a speech to a room full of bankers? Are they all some kind of vampires and by taking their money he'll become a vampire too? Will accepting the check undo Dodd-Frank? Why the gently caress should someone who is objectively amazing at giving speeches not be allowed to be paid to give speeches now that he's out of office?

I was thinking the same thing the other day and came across an editorial arguing that the promise of a future payoff, after office, can cloud politicians' judgement. But that is still pretty weak, I think. You could say the same about accepting almost any paid job.

With all the controversies over the launch of foundations, I don't think people will be happy unless pols immediately retire or die out of office

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ramos posted:

The level of wittiness of this political commentary is off the charts and through the floors.

If calling his opponent a poopy head worked for Branco 50 years ago on the playground, why not now?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Does anyone actually syndicate Branco comics?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Classtoise posted:

Like he's not the loving President anymore. What's he supposed to do?

Draw pictures of Michelle :allears:

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
i feel sick

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Literally " HE A MEAN STUPID POOPOO HEAD THPHPHTHPHHTPPLL!"

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 7, 2017

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The term Colbert used was "cock holster." Branco drew mud poop.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Both those Brancos are incredibly lazy commentary. The first is just dumb in how much it doesn't matter, the second is rage inducing in it's "oh, it's that argument again."

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Whenever I see the swear symbols I always replace them with "gently caress".

gently caress holster.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Time: 3:05
Temp: 72
Trump's current excuse for unpopularity: Obama did it.

gently caress, I could be a political cartoonist.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

However, it is super okay that THE TRUMP said "grab 'em by the pussy."

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
You can brag about sexually assaulting every woman you come across but don't you dare say "tits" on the radio.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

People view at as being bad for optics. Wallstreet is supposed to be the enemy of the left and now Obama is being paid a large sum of money by them. Doesn't matter what he's talking about, who exactly is paying him, or that basically every other President has lived off speaking fees after leaving office. It just looks bad, and that's not something the democratic party needs right now.

Right, but why is it bad optics? Does bank money eat your soul? Would it be better if he spoke there but took no money and that he's just there because he's so jazzed to spend time with bankers? Or is this the case of having to pretend wall street doesn't exist at all because they are a bunch of stupid heads and we hate them and no one can ever go talk to them ever? I just I can't get what's so wrong about this.

Cat Mattress posted:

IMHO he should ask for a lot more money.

And then use it to fund some anti-bank lobbying groups.

He is donating $2 million to a Chicago based inner-city employment program of some kind.

And he still isn't getting cut any slack for it! Like, he's charging people who can afford to pay so that he can then work to benefit those who can't afford to pay for his time.

This just feels like one of those issues the right invents to make the left turn on each other because we NEVER loving LEARN.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Cpt.Americant posted:

He is donating $2 million to a Chicago based inner-city employment program of some kind.

And he still isn't getting cut any slack for it! Like, he's charging people who can afford to pay so that he can then work to benefit those who can't afford to pay for his time.
If he announced he was giving the 400k directly to charity, I think he would get significantly fewer complaints. Why not do that?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Imagine you having to worry about every purchase, paycheck or expense you have saying something bad about you. Who cares if he directly says "This 400k is going to charity guys, don't worry I'm not a bad guy please still like me" instead of just donating the money and not saying anything?

Who was the one who first broke the news about him receiving the money in the first place, I'd say that would say a lot more than whatever Obama says about it. Cause maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Obama just made a tweet "lol spoke with banking big wigs and got a cool 400k"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Abyssal Squid posted:

The term Colbert used was "cock holster." Branco drew mud poop.

To be fair, Branco wouldn't be able to publish a cartoon with a cock in it.

To be accurate, if he could come up with a criticism better than "NO U" he wouldn't have to have considered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jedit posted:

To be fair, Branco wouldn't be able to publish a cartoon with a cock in it.

Why not? Ramirez is still doing it to this day.

• Locked thread