Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

U.T. Raptor posted:

I'm not sure "better" is the right word here. "More grotesquely detailed", maybe.

Agreed. Stephen Collins is good, but most British political cartoons are so distorted and ugly that the point they are making is incomprehensible except to "those in the know." Which is probably precisely the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

U.T. Raptor posted:

I'm not sure "better" is the right word here. "More grotesquely detailed", maybe.

Yeah, I think if you ran a political cartoon of a cat making GBS threads out fully formed turd logs out of its distended rear end in a top hat in a US newspaper, an old person would complain.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The first time I agree with a Lietha comic, though for different reasons.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

The fact that UK politoons all depict slowly melting horrors seems appropriate, really.

US politoons aren't nearly as ugly as their subject matter. UK ones at least try.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicFrog posted:

The fact that UK politoons all depict slowly melting horrors seems appropriate, really.

US politoons aren't nearly as ugly as their subject matter.

Ramirez would beg to differ.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fulchrum posted:

Ramirez would beg to differ.

Also, McCoy the Greater and Delonas.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

As already stated, why is your wise christian teacher white and where is this sentimentality when you enact laws to punish gays or people of other faiths?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

U.T. Raptor posted:

The effort put into detail is the thing, though. We don't see the UK equivalent of Lester, Bok, Branco, or Gorrell's ugliness through laziness.

They probably exist, but we don't see them here.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

After The War posted:

The effort put into detail is the thing, though. We don't see the UK equivalent of Lester, Bok, Branco, or Gorrell's ugliness through laziness.

They probably exist, but we don't see them here.

They probably just aren't hired, which is kind of funny when you think about how closed a market politoons really are. You have to be well known to get in to a crowd of just a few that are given leeway to just coast for loving decades on low effort poo poo.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Happy 135th Birthday, Chinese Exclusion Act!

EDIT: Added a bunch more.

Shangri-Law School fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 6, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shangri-Law School posted:

This one in particular is especially loathsome, because the author goes to the trouble of telling they have a good reason for coming, that it's a life or death issue for them, and still draws that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

A good point but perhaps somewhat undercut by the garish caricature style used.

Look, Bill Cosby just wants to play pan flute and make some pudding, OK? And he's all out of pan flute...

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Beavis and Butt-head just isn't the same anymore.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Considering the source, I'm inclined to believe this is more "I can't be racist because I don't see race. :smuggo:", and less "We're all the same."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If it wasn't utterly racist this would be pretty loving metal. :black101:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Richard Samuel West's work on The Wasp and other outlets of political cartoons from the 19th and early 20th centuries is worth looking into.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Is there any particular reason that this cartoonist depicts May as Beetlejuice?

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Well no wonder Trump was buddies with Farage; kippers have been made of piss this whole time!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ZDar Fan posted:

Is there any particular reason that this cartoonist depicts May as Beetlejuice?

Steve Bell really goes in for his running gags, e.g. depicting David Cameron for years as a condom in a suit. He started drawing Theresa May as a scary clown during the scary clown craze and evidently hasn't been able to think of anything better since.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cat Mattress posted:

This one in particular is especially loathsome, because the author goes to the trouble of telling they have a good reason for coming, that it's a life or death issue for them, and still draws that.
That struck me too. I half expected them to be like "There's millions starving in China, so let's get to farming and send food over there!" But no, it was "Watch out! Here those vermin come!"

Not so different from today, really.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Maybe it's just me, but if my kid left home and had to come back because he couldn't afford to pay the bills, it really wouldn't bother me.

Not that it's likely to happen - little bastard almost makes more money than me and he's only fifteen.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

We at GrrrGraphics convey our best wishes to Marine Le Pen in the French election. The so-called ‘centrist’ Macron represents the globalist bankers and submission to Islam. LePen represents traditional France. We need more nationalists such as Le Pen, Geert Wilders, and Nigel Farage in Europe to help stem the onrushing Islamic tide as well as end the tyranny that is the European Union. We need politicians who aren’t cowed by political correctness.

Americans elected a populist president to drain the swamp and make America great again. France can do something similar by electing Le Pen. Make Great Britain great again. Make France great again. Protect Europe against the Islamic invasion and start standing up for western civilization again.

—Ben Garrison

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's not even interestingly lovely, it's just lovely.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
And enormous for some reason.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
every populist politician in human history was a liar.

not le pen tho, this one is telling the truth.

if she gets in life will be great for everyone in France, there wil be jobs and unicorns for all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lurdiak posted:

That's not even interestingly lovely, it's just lovely.

Do you hear me Garrison?
This is the mouthpiece of the global Jewish cabal which totally exists talking to you:
You'll never defeat us with this kind of half assed effort, where are the Illuminati simbolism? The grinning Soros?!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

Steve Bell really goes in for his running gags, e.g. depicting David Cameron for years as a condom in a suit. He started drawing Theresa May as a scary clown during the scary clown craze and evidently hasn't been able to think of anything better since.

Because she is a scary clown?

Also Beetlejuice wears stripes, not checks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man those are horrifying opinions to read, but at least they have the excuse of being old.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Statistics :argh:
I tried to find what statistics they were talking about, but all I could find were people saying they couldn't find statistics.

Here are some excerpts of Loomis's testimony:

What does that flag on the right say?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Wanna vote for Nazi-punching Hillary.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

What does that flag on the right say?

The flags are for San Quentin, Industrial School and House of Correction.

Source: https://thomasnastcartoons.com/west-coast-view/

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Internet Webguy posted:

Wanna vote for Nazi-punching Hillary.

Somebody better get that avatar.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

I seriously don't get this view. Like, what the gently caress do people think is the worst case scenario of Obama giving a speech to a room full of bankers? Are they all some kind of vampires and by taking their money he'll become a vampire too? Will accepting the check undo Dodd-Frank? Why the gently caress should someone who is objectively amazing at giving speeches not be allowed to be paid to give speeches now that he's out of office?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

"We need more nationalism" -the exact opposite lesson anyone should have learned from the past 100 years of history

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Cpt.Americant posted:

I seriously don't get this view. Like, what the gently caress do people think is the worst case scenario of Obama giving a speech to a room full of bankers? Are they all some kind of vampires and by taking their money he'll become a vampire too? Will accepting the check undo Dodd-Frank? Why the gently caress should someone who is objectively amazing at giving speeches not be allowed to be paid to give speeches now that he's out of office?

Like he's not the loving President anymore. What's he supposed to do?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cpt.Americant posted:

People view at as being bad for optics. Wallstreet is supposed to be the enemy of the left and now Obama is being paid a large sum of money by them. Doesn't matter what he's talking about, who exactly is paying him, or that basically every other President has lived off speaking fees after leaving office. It just looks bad, and that's not something the democratic party needs right now.

I don't think its necessarily fair but it probably would of been better to just not do it and avoid the whole kerfuffle.

So has Garrison said anything about Trump literally saying "I'm a globalist"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

santanotreal posted:

"We need more nationalism" -the exact opposite lesson anyone should have learned from the past 100 years of history

It isn't if you're a racist sack of poo poo.

• Locked thread