Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That must be in the rule under "Melbourne players can throw or drop the ball without penalty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Deadly Hume posted:

That must be in the rule under "Melbourne players can throw or drop the ball without penalty".

#freekickmelbourne deffo solid post

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Salem gets taken to ground after the mark with 30 seconds to go and a kick the difference but nah it was probably a mistake and not deliberate good call you stupid loving oval office

Let's be fair here Hogan's last goal was an uncalled textbook push in the back

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Let's be fair here Hogan's last goal was an uncalled textbook push in the back

Not as bad as rougheads first goal. Hogans you can argue was in the side, Roughead was directly behind and extended the arms.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Maybe the umpires are just incompetent rather than malicious.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also I'll admit I got mad at I a Hawthorn goal down the city end because I thought a Hawthorn player gave the most blatant block against Hunt but turns out Oscar McDonald is just really loving dumb and poo poo and bad and useless.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Also glad I picked Sydney in the work comp gauntlet.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Surely we're getting to the point where we can just do away with umpires entirely

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

Maybe the umpires are just incompetent rather than malicious.

It's impressive the umpires can get close to the incompetence of Melbourne given they are only part time where as we are fully professionally incompetent

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gently caress we are so loving goddamn bad gently caress

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

For my own sanity I have to believe that Goodwin is treating this as a stocktake year and giving each player who comes in a 4 or 5 game stretch to prove themselves because there's no other way a lot of the selections make any sense whatsoever.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Spedman posted:

He's kicking straight, and the young-uns in the Freo backline are giving up some horrendous turnovers

what's his hug count up to?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

what's his hug count up to?

He didn't choose the hug life, the hug life chose him.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Some decent signs in that game like Hardwick and O'Brien but wow do we still know how to completely fall apart in the second half.

Also holy poo poo, Melbourne play some rank football sometimes. How in the hell are they ninth?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

spamman posted:

Also holy poo poo, Melbourne play some rank football sometimes. How in the hell are they ninth?

The Saints thought that round one only went for 1 quarter.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hardwick and O'brien are starting to look really good.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
THE UPSETS ARE COMPLETE, THE PACT IS SEALED

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

boy undead posted:

THE UPSETS ARE COMPLETE, THE PACT IS SEALED

there are three things in life that are certain, death, taxes and Richmond

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'll take 2/8 then.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

5/9 hells yeah

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

5/9 hells yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_dACIrQi0

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

5/9 hells yeah

What the gently caress

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Spedman posted:

Hopefully Freo can run the game out better than the Dons, 30C day, Freo haven't travelled since beating Melb, Dons coming off short breaks.

Yep, Dons ran out off puff and Freo kept coming

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I got 3/9, Freo/Syd/Bullies

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Spedman posted:

Same

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

3 was the default score if you forgot your tips. :stare:

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I got five on the back of picking Saints and GC

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Spedman posted:

Yep.

Imagine being dumb enough to pick Melbourne.

:(

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

TG-Chrono posted:

speaking of upsets

:boom:

God bless you Bradley Hill, and your 16 uncontested marks. Perhaps next time you can aim for at least one tackle.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
3/10 in tipping this round

still only beaten the bye in UF

completely given up on supercoach now that you have to give Rupert money for even basic information like ins/outs and break even scores

Not a good time online for footy, oh well, at least Essendon w..oh

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

lightinwater posted:

God bless you Bradley Hill, and your 16 uncontested marks. Perhaps next time you can aim for at least one tackle.

I see someone who isn't accustomed to the way Bradley Hill and Isaac Smith have developed as players. Namely, Good Blokes play on the inside and try to drive their knees through opposition bones, and their opponents heads through goal and behind posts play tough and hard allowing outside runners to stay on the outside as running players.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't realise Birchall got hurt again 😕 That does explain why I didn't notice him outside the first quarter though.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Apparently Lindsay Thomas clocked a bloke in the VFL and he had to be taken off on a stretcher. Described as being similar to Lloyd on Sewell.

Possibly 6-8 weeks suspension and AFL career done.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

Apparently Lindsay Thomas clocked a bloke in the VFL and he had to be taken off on a stretcher. Described as being similar to Lloyd on Sewell.

North are practically a finals lock now

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Windmill Hut posted:

is there an article or video anywhere? can't find anything

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

lightinwater posted:

As a family rule the Hills don't tackle

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-08/rule-changes-have-improved-the-game-mclachlan-says- posted:

THE CONTENTIOUS deliberate out-of-bounds rule has been "important to the quality of football", says AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan after another weekend of confusion surrounding its interpretation.

The rule came under fire again at the weekend in decisions involving Greater Western Sydney's Callan Ward and Richmond's Jayden Short.

Short was penalised in the dying stages of Saturday night's five-point loss to the Western Bulldogs when he fumbled the ball over the line, a decision McLachlan indicated was wrong.

"When I first saw it, I thought it was deliberate but when you look close in slow motion, he fumbled it," McLachlan said on Monday, at the launch of the Country Festival that will feature Saturday night's Essendon-Geelong match as its showpiece.

"It's a tough job, umpiring."

But while McLachlan acknowledged there were "a couple of mistakes" across round seven, the game was better for the shift in the rule.

"I think we are not talking about the important role the rule changes have made to the quality of the game," he said.

"The football is exceptional at the moment: high-scoring, entertaining, the crowds are fantastic and the ratings are fantastic.

"I want to congratulate the boldness of the rules committee to make the changes they have to keep our game relevant to everyone in 2017.

"When you make change, there's always challenges with that but I think the rule has been important to the quality of footy."

He added that he believed there was a "solid expectation" on how the rule was interpreted, and that people generally understood it.

On Saturday night, Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge compared its application to an episode of 1970s sitcom Fawlty Towers, after the League last week re-framed its language around the rule to include the words "insufficient intent".

But McLachlan maintained the game was in excellent shape.

"I think that it was an extraordinary weekend of football, the first time since 1975 that every team who was low-ranked in each game beat the high-ranked team," he said.

"Football is going really well, so in the absence of other noise, we focus on two mistakes.

"There is always some mistakes, and I think the respect for umpires is an incredibly important part of our game at a community level and the elite level. They do a very tough job.

"I think that the umpiring was excellent on the weekend."

Oh, ok then. I'm glad we finally sorted that out.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
In MRP news: Waite and Stevens both get a week for sling tackles despite Waite's tackled concussing Lynch while Wilson came back on the ground after a test.

Does damaged caused not factor into these things anymore? I'm not saying Stevens shouldn't have gotten a week, but it seems strange the penalty is the same despite significant differences in the impact of each action.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Lou Richards has died at 94.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

drunkill posted:

Lou Richards has died at 94.

Killed by Nathan Buckley.

• Locked thread