Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Drunk Tomato posted:

Did she touch your dingaling

The technical term is joy-con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So how do I auth in the Nintengoons server? I got it.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 7, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

200cc is the only way to play. being able to screech on the brake during powerslides has turned me into some sort of boost god

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is drift braking new to MK8 or has it always been there and I just never noticed because there's never been a reason to brake before? Either way, it feels really good.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Is drift braking new to MK8 or has it always been there and I just never noticed because there's never been a reason to brake before? Either way, it feels really good.

i thought i read that it was new to mk8 deluxe

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

i thought i read that it was new to mk8 deluxe

It was definitely around for Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U. There was even an oversight that prevented you from using it with the Wiimote + Nunchuck configuration, I think because the B button did double duty as Brake and Drift. This meant an automatic disadvantage in 200cc.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I don't think you could drift break until 200cc was released on Mario Kart 8 because I don't think you can go fast enough on 150cc to hit the brakes and keep the drift going.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
I'm playing the Time Trials and trying to beat the nintendo employees. I'm following along with the world record ghosts but I suck at these mushroom boost shortcuts.

What's the best way to get better at this game, I suck.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

pippy posted:

I'm playing the Time Trials and trying to beat the nintendo employees. I'm following along with the world record ghosts but I suck at these mushroom boost shortcuts.

What's the best way to get better at this game, I suck.

Practice. With even more practice. Also don't follow record beating ghosts at first, start with ghosts at your level and go up from there.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

That steering help thing is the biggest crop of poo poo ever. If one player has it in, they're essentially assured first place. It's cheating. That's what it is.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

DC Murderverse posted:

So I left my switch in the hub for a couple days after it ran out of battery before I realized that it wasn't actually plugged in, so I plugged it in and tried to charge it, but for about 12 hours it just wouldn't charge. When I woke up this morning I took the cord and plugged it into a different outlet and left it plugged in while I went to work, and when I came back it said it was all charged but I played for about 10 minutes before it yelled at me to plug it back in. I plugged it back in for a few more hours and I unplugged it about 10 minutes ago and it's already 70% drained. What's going on with my battery?

Probably nothing, try playing until the battery runs out, then charge it again and see if it works better. Charge percentage can be weird sometimes after completely draining the batteries, I seem to recall it's a lithium battery quirk? I'm not sure from where I got that though

If it really does run out after 30 minutes when fully charged, call Nintendo.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
How do you turn off the smart steering in MK8D? I can't seem to find a settings menu anywhere

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

How do you turn off the smart steering in MK8D? I can't seem to find a settings menu anywhere

Pause the game mid race and toggle it on or off.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LODGE NORTH posted:

That steering help thing is the biggest crop of poo poo ever. If one player has it in, they're essentially assured first place. It's cheating. That's what it is.

Enabling smart steering prevents that player from getting purple sparks or taking shortcuts. If you can stay on the dang track you should beat it every time.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Either use the pause menu in a race or disable it at kart select by hitting the +/- button to bring up stats and the ability to toggle smart steering, tilt controls, and auto acceleration.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Depends what cc you are playing on. The higher the speed you are travelling, the less prepared the course correcting for it is.

It does weird stuff at 200cc that makes it more often than not slower to use it than to not use it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

LODGE NORTH posted:

The smart steering noticably slows you down when it kicks on and also prevents purple sparks while drifting. The smart steering is a little bit of a skill balancer at lower levels and early on, but it's actively worse when on than not once you get more comfortable with the courses and what drifting feels like.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 7, 2017

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
My right thumb enjoys the auto accelerate mode. Also I think the joycon grip works better for MK8D than the pro controller. I dunno.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 7, 2017

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

At least the joycon grip offers some leverage. Holding a and r on the 3ds should be considered a form of martial arts training

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Break drifting was patched in with 200cc. You can use it at 150cc too but only a little, but it totally helps at times.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah, I've used it in 150 a few times to save me from going off track in hairpins when I hold a drift for too long before starting a drift in the other direction. I tried it in 50 just to see if it works there and you can slow down to almost a complete stop before it breaks you out of the drift.

It also got me to try 50cc for the first time and I have no idea how anyone could have the patience to do 3 whole laps like that.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

It also got me to try 50cc for the first time and I have no idea how anyone could have the patience to do 3 whole laps like that.

it lets you admire the wonderful scenery

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone thinking of picking up Minecraft on the switch? I am one of the few people who have never actually played it and I thought this might be a good entry point for a noob.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It should be pretty good and will have the Mario stuff built in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

People other than adult man children play Nintendo games.

Such as actual children.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

nerd_of_prey posted:

Anyone thinking of picking up Minecraft on the switch? I am one of the few people who have never actually played it and I thought this might be a good entry point for a noob.

I've got it in Xbox and boot it up a couple of times a year. If it's $20 I'll double dip.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The switch does stand to be the best portable edition of minecraft that's not a laptop. It could be a real system seller. Kids still love minecraft these days right?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You know why I think the Switch will outsell the Wii? Because I am actually contemplating buying a second Switch to make things like playing Mario Kart at family parties and stuff more fun. Between that and the 3DS model of "let's make a new special edition and/or hardware revision every 6 months" means that people will end up with more than one Switch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It will succeed because I and I alone will purchase 17 of the Nintendos Switch

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mahoning posted:

You know why I think the Switch will outsell the Wii? Because I am actually contemplating buying a second Switch to make things like playing Mario Kart at family parties and stuff more fun.

The Switch is bringing back local multiplayer

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I might buy MK8 today guys. I'm kind of nervous about this huge life decision.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

I might buy MK8 today guys. I'm kind of nervous about this huge life decision.

Be sure to preorder ARMS while you're there because it will be A Good Game

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Be sure to preorder ARMS while you're there because it will be A Good Game

Preorder every game IMO

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've never played a Disgaea game before. It's 5 alright to start with or is it absolutely necessary to play the others first?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

a7m2 posted:

I've never played a Disgaea game before. It's 5 alright to start with or is it absolutely necessary to play the others first?

You should probably just have sex with children instead, I think it's the same thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mahoning posted:

You know why I think the Switch will outsell the Wii? Because I am actually contemplating buying a second Switch to make things like playing Mario Kart at family parties and stuff more fun. Between that and the 3DS model of "let's make a new special edition and/or hardware revision every 6 months" means that people will end up with more than one Switch.

And to think people are saying Nintendo's hosed after they sell a Switch to every person in the world.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mega64 posted:

And to think people are saying Nintendo's hosed after they sell a Switch to every person in the world.

I'm thinking at least 2 per person. What's that, like 15 billion Switches?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I'm thinking at least 2 per person. What's that, like 15 billion Switches?

Everyone's going to need at least two Switches to play four-player Mario Kart!

One Joycon for each hand, one Joycon for each foot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a7m2 posted:

Nah you can start with 5, none are connected in any major way.

• Locked thread