Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Duckaerobics posted:

I think Lirik has some amazing luck when it comes to people being bad around him.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HeartlessEnergeticCrabsKlappa

You only get clipped when it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does boost only increase your hp slowly, or does it also make you faster? I felt that I was running faster with full boost.

Also what does toggling auto-run do? I tried toggling it but didn't notice a difference.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

qkkl posted:

Does boost only increase your hp slowly, or does it also make you faster? I felt that I was running faster with full boost.

Also what does toggling auto-run do? I tried toggling it but didn't notice a difference.

Press auto run when you're not moving/pressing a movement key.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

qkkl posted:

First two segments are HP heal over time only, last two segments make you faster as well as heal over time. There are icons on the right of the boost bar to indicate this.

Auto-run is you press = and it runs forward for you, doing other things turns it off.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 6, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ok I did some calculations and here is my guess as to how your overall rating is calculated.

Rating = (Win Rating * 1.5 + Kill Rating) / 2

This is only based off my stats of 1528 WR, 1359 KR, and 1799 Overall.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yes, but I hope you can see how it would stand to reason that if you can hear yourself do something, then someone else can hear you do it.

Anyway, the answer is yes they can hear you, but its much quieter.

Well, not all games do this, and I don't think even pubg does this for everything. Can you hear other players reload?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If a buggy crashes into a fence and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? The answer to this question might give a hint to the developers on how to optimize the game.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Studio posted:

Well, not all games do this, and I don't think even pubg does this for everything. Can you hear other players reload?

Some streamer tested this with his squad listening. The answer was technically yes, but it was incredibly quiet even when up in someone's face, at least for the AR's.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

qkkl posted:

If a buggy crashes into a fence and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? The answer to this question might give a hint to the developers on how to optimize the game.

okay what?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

animatorZed posted:

Some streamer tested this with his squad listening. The answer was technically yes, but it was incredibly quiet even when up in someone's face, at least for the AR's.

This has to depend on relative volume, yeah? I'd swear I hear people reload, turn 180 while crouched, switch weapons, all kinds of poo poo. I also have some okay-range cans that I crank way up but the sounds are clearly there if you listen.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

i know my ideal clothes set up now

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I have confirmed, at least with squadmates, that changing weapons and changing fire modes is silent to other players. So that's a slightly helpful one to know, unless my friends were lying to me... :tinfoil:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I noticed that sometimes bullet sound effects fired by other players play in chunks, i.e. all the bullets come out, pause, more shots, pause, etc, oscillating about 5-10 times a second instead of firing continuously. We were wondering if it was something to do with tick rate, so we looked this up.

CSGO's tickrate of 64 on public servers is generally considered to be too low, which is why competitive CSGO (and other games) tend to use 128 tick servers.

This game has a variable tickrate that is generally between 5-20 for the server. Which explains why the shooting at close range and/or in full auto feels terrible.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Did they just rent stingey cheapo servers, are they overwhelmed with players, both, or I am failing to fundamentally understand how 'puters work?

Roumba fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 7, 2017

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Roumba posted:

Did they just rent stingey cheapo servers, are they overwhelmed with players, both, or I am failing to fundamentally understand how 'puters work?

I'm pretty sure they're using Amazon's servers so it can't be that bad. I dig holes for a living though so I don't know anything about anything.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Battlefield 1942 was able to support 64 players on a server back in 2002, I think by now it should be possible to host 100 players on a server with a tick rate that's higher than a 60 hz monitor refresh rate. The bigger issue is just optimization. Sometimes I get a nice smooth 60+ framerate, but then I turn 1 degree and suddenly I'm getting 30 fps. I really didn't like playing the game when it looked like minecraft, so my best bet for now is to just camp and one-shot people with shotguns.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Roumba posted:

I have confirmed, at least with squadmates, that changing weapons and changing fire modes is silent to other players. So that's a slightly helpful one to know, unless my friends were lying to me... :tinfoil:

hah, cool. Was wondering this today when I got down to the final few people in close quarters.

I keep getting so close to my first solo win. Had me and another guy in a field today. Saw him first, took a shot but didn't kill him and got double tapped right in the face. My aim is goddamn awful and I wish I had better framerate

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I won my first solo match tonight, and all I had was an Uzi and a Pump shotty. Feels good man

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

hah, cool. Was wondering this today when I got down to the final few people in close quarters.

I keep getting so close to my first solo win. Had me and another guy in a field today. Saw him first, took a shot but didn't kill him and got double tapped right in the face. My aim is goddamn awful and I wish I had better framerate

Find a bush. Become one with said bush. Win every time.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Anyone come across strangley silent players?

I mean making no noise opening doors, running across wood floors silently.

Just had a guy open 2 door and run across a wood floor and nit make a single noise.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I believe running without shoes is still quieter than boots

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Even after playing this for a month+ I still get pumped when I win.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I believe if you shoot them in the butt it does more damage (pan OP)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Ostentatious posted:

I believe running without shoes is still quieter than boots

A dev confirmed that decibel wise, they are exactly the same. But I reckon the higher pitched sound of barefoot is harder to distinguish from the obvious clomp clomp.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Fauxshiz posted:

I'm pretty sure they're using Amazon's servers so it can't be that bad. I dig holes for a living though so I don't know anything about anything.

I think it stems from them just using the bare UE4 multiplayer code straight from the box and haven't done any optimisation or modification to it yet. Hopefully it's a priority moving forward!

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The slap slap slap of bare feet definitely gets drowned out by rain for example a lot more than the klop klop klop of boots when you're outside. When you're inside it always sounds like Godzilla's rampaging through the livingroom though so makes little difference there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm still amazed by the number of people who would rather hide in cover and die to the zone wall than actively engage in combat. Why just give up like that?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Yodzilla posted:

I'm still amazed by the number of people who would rather hide in cover and die to the zone wall than actively engage in combat. Why just give up like that?

this game is full of huge babies that are terrified of getting into fights

hooligan
Jun 15, 2001

Arrogant Dutch Fuckwit.
Had a good few rounds the last couple of days, won quite a few.

However, sometimes my team does surprise me out of nowhere.......

https://clips.twitch.tv/ResoluteMiniatureArugulaTooSpicy

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

This game badly needs a gun range where I actually learn what dialing in an 8X Kar does to where my shots land.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The whole world's a gun range.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Okay how about a gun range that's not also filled with murderhobos

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are guns supposed to be horribly inaccurate when you're shooting from a vehicle? And how big is the hit box for vehicles? I've hit people and got hit by vehicles when it's pretty clear you have no business being hit by it.

T800
Jul 2, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

In a similar issue; why do people who are literally 2-3 steps from being in the zone just stop what they're doing when they see someone and hold stock still and start shooting at them whether or not the person they're shooting at has spotted them? The amount of times I've been knocked down or straight up killed by someone who immediately dies to the zone after who could have just held W for half of a second before shooting at me and survived is astonishing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Are guns supposed to be horribly inaccurate when you're shooting from a vehicle? And how big is the hit box for vehicles? I've hit people and got hit by vehicles when it's pretty clear you have no business being hit by it.

Drivebys in vehicles are best done with shotguns or smgs, the accuracy but for everything else is awful.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Drivebys in vehicles are best done with shotguns or smgs, the accuracy but for everything else is awful.

I think if you're going to shoot from the car with anything but a shotgun, you really want to ADS. Then it becomes a matter of lining up the shot while everything's moving and you have poor peripheral vision and probably a bad frame rate. However, I'm usually the driver so what do I know?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Custom game with subs going on right now.

A handful of survivors vs "zombies" = rest of the server in their underwear, only allowed stims, bandages, and melee weapons. 25 people running at the group is hilarious. Forced first person.

https://multistre.am/sacriel/break/stodeh/layout6/

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 7, 2017

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Anybody else getting the "connected. waiting for response..." right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Connected to 1 game and now i cant connect back. Fuckkk

Miguel Prado posted:

Anybody else getting the "connected. waiting for response..." right now?

Servers must be hosed.

• Locked thread