Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

I always click through all the dialogue I can because I can read way faster than it's voiced, and since about 40 of the ~70 I played it for were remote on my Vita with the sound off it made no difference.

I have no strong opinions one way or the other about how good or bad the voice acting is.

I always listen to the VA including people who aren't named unless it's my 5th PT and I stopped caring about NPC 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

That was actually a specific request from Atlus Japan believe it or not.
Similarly Tuh-cah-muh-kee. I wonder if there was some specific intention behind it, or whether they just didn't realise how different these versions sound to English speakers?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Could it be an accent thing? I still have no clue how Japanese vowels/accents work after hearing multiple explanations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheLoser posted:

Could it be an accent thing? I still have no clue how Japanese vowels/accents work after hearing multiple explanations.

You know what they say, learning Japanese is as easy as 1-2-3! Now, 1-2-3 depends on what exactly you're counting...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

makoto's bizarre pronounciation, though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Arsene tips his hat* M'koto.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ROFL Octopus posted:

That was actually a specific request from Atlus Japan believe it or not.

The version I've heard was that it was that way in the pronunciation instructions. The weird thing is that in the Japanese voices, they pronounce Sakamoto and Takamachi the way you'd expect, and not with the odd emphasis in English.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

You know what they say, learning Japanese is as easy as 1-2-3! Now, 1-2-3 depends on what exactly you're counting...

Hifumi secret best character then?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone else finds Goro's JPN VA (Soichiro Hoshi) casting to be weird? There's nothing wrong with his lines but it doesn't quite suit his character. I looked him up and I realized he mostly does supporting/minor roles in anime. I liked everyone else's VA but then again I like anime too.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The English line reads of the names are kinda close to how they sound in the Japanese version, but the emphasis is really weird and sounds forced.
I'd guess the voice director coached the actors to pronounce the individual syllables correctly, but didn't spend much time working with them to speak the complete words in a natural way. It reminds me of practicing phrases with people in the first couple weeks of a Japanese 101 class.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 6, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alder posted:

I looked him up and I realized he mostly does supporting/minor roles in anime. I liked everyone else's VA but then again I like anime too.

Speaking of that, have a neat image someone slapped together.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Huh, I didn't realize both Yusukes were also Chrom.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wow, I recognize none of Haru/Futaba's roles.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gonna need some help workshopping Yusuke/McCree jokes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yusuke really should have gotten the revolver as his gun, it's the most aesthetically pleasing of all the firearms

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Now I want to hear Goro cry like a dying beached whale...

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

Now I want to hear Goro cry like a dying beached whale...

You can't just say that and not link it

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Oh my lord July can go gently caress itself with its non-stop sleep lockouts. Morgana can go die too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bubbapook posted:

Oh my lord July can go gently caress itself with its non-stop sleep lockouts. Morgana can go die too.

https://twitter.com/dampab/status/857964840605896704

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

watch madoka madoka and symphogear, play trails of cold steel

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Not just Vita but Misty too. So talented.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

SMT4A is good

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

You've never played Phoenix Wright?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just impulse bought this game and i know nothing about the series or jrpg in general. i like suda 51 games and let it die is cool so far.

any tips for new comers?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Catch all the personas, fuse all the Personas

Hang out with the fortune teller, the doctor, and the politician

Take advantage of special days for social stat ups (baths on Monday and Thursday, station drinks on Sundays, etc)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

This is amazing :allears:.

DoctorGonzo posted:

i just impulse bought this game and i know nothing about the series or jrpg in general. i like suda 51 games and let it die is cool so far.

any tips for new comers?

The Before I Play wiki has a bunch of useful tips that will help.

Full discretion; I wrote that entry.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
* Use whomever you want in combat, backup party members get full XP. Go nuts.
* The Moon Arcana Confidant lets you earn XP in combat for your reserve party members.

These seem to contradict each other, though I think the second one is accurate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steelion posted:

* Use whomever you want in combat, backup party members get full XP. Go nuts.
* The Moon Arcana Confidant lets you earn XP in combat for your reserve party members.

These seem to contradict each other, though I think the second one is accurate.

Second one is accurate, I asked the Wiki curator to fix my fuckup.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Does the game tell you to equip matching Arcana Personas when hanging out with Confidants?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is amazing :allears:.

I didn't make it, but I'll be damned if I won't share Toilet-Cat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

dragon_pamcake posted:

Does the game tell you to equip matching Arcana Personas when hanging out with Confidants?

I didn't make it, but I'll be damned if I won't share Toilet-Cat.

It does not. The only time you'd get a hint of that mechanic is if you have a matching arcana when you're deciding whether or not to hang out with someone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The climax to palace 7 sure is a thing.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just ended the fisrt castle sequence and this game is smooth and suave.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Hasn't Matt Mercer also been playing Kanji ever since Troy Baker blew up and got too expensive?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

bubbapook posted:

Oh my lord July can go gently caress itself with its non-stop sleep lockouts.
September is worse.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

It does not. The only time you'd get a hint of that mechanic is if you have a matching arcana when you're deciding whether or not to hang out with someone.

I could've swore it did at one point.

Like I had Berith around but not equipped when you get your first chance to hang out with Hierophant and one of the tutorial tips popped up like "Hey friend, put on a matching arcana when you talk to your buds"

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Yardbomb posted:

I could've swore it did at one point.

Like I had Berith around but not equipped when you get your first chance to hang out with Hierophant and one of the tutorial tips popped up like "Hey friend, put on a matching arcana when you talk to your buds"

You don't need them equipped, which is why the text popped up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

You don't need them equipped, which is why the text popped up.

Ooooh welp, I was reading it wrong and thought people were saying you needed to be actually masked up matching with them. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The smartest move that was made in how Persona 5 was developed is the way they handled Joker. The previous main characters felt more like passive outsiders who despite moving the story forward felt closer to plot devices then living breathing parts of the world. Joker though feels truly part of the world, in part due to having more chances to make conversation choices, but also to how the world reacts to him. Instead of being the focus of some mild interest, almost everybody around him just gives shits on him for the most bullshit of reasons. Add to that mix having what got him in trouble being an act that should be applauded by society and instead sees his life being almost completely ruined and it feels natural to care about him as a character.