Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I've only played for a few hours in total, but now the game is crashing right when it starts up. It only lets a second of the bethesda video load before it throws an error. I'm (steam) streaming it to a different computer, though, which may be an issue. Ive streamed it once before using nvidia's streaming (moonlight) and it worked fine then albeit i started streaming when the game was already up. When I try it from the beginning now, it seems to load the videos fine but it still throws the error at the beginning (the error ding sounds) and when it gets to the end of the video, it just loads a black screen and nothing else. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Have you verified the steam install, and are your drivers all up to date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think the silent pistol is the best so far. Ammo is relatively cheap to manufacture and you get the blueprints for it in like in a dozen different places (While I've yet to find a single Q-beam ammo blueprint), gets boosted by the "security" neuromod, and doesn't have the insane damage dropoff that the shotgun has. At medium range, it feels like two or three pistol shots do more damage than a single shotgun blast.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Skippy McPants posted:

Have you verified the steam install, and are your drivers all up to date?

Yep, and yep :/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

I think the silent pistol is the best so far. Ammo is relatively cheap to manufacture and you get the blueprints for it in like in a dozen different places (While I've yet to find a single Q-beam ammo blueprint), gets boosted by the "security" neuromod, and doesn't have the insane damage dropoff that the shotgun has. At medium range, it feels like two or three pistol shots do more damage than a single shotgun blast.

It shoots insanely fast too. Especially useful with Combat Focus.

I think there's only one q-beam ammo blueprint, at the end of the related quest chain.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

For sure, I upgraded its damage a couple of times and now find myself using it far more than the shotgun. You don't even need the goop gun for it to be effective, you can use it from a decently long range and kill phantoms very quickly. Admittedly I haven't gotten far enough yet to encounter anything stronger than the first type of upgraded phantoms (the purple spiky ones) and its effectiveness could drop off.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Totally going to exploit the recycler glitch unashamedly.

Also new thread title owns.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I can't tell if it's just Avellone's work and he really is a one tricky pony writer, or if they were trying to appeal to our nostalgia, but I did get a kick out of January/December, and the fact Morgan is basically the Nameless One part deux. Every wake up changed your personality, so you had nice Morgan, lovely Morgan, evil Morgan, conquest Morgan, etc. All of which left you guides on what they wanted YOU to do.

Also uh, January's plan seems a bit flawed, even as early on as I am. ( Speculating just as I hit the Arboretum, so no spoilers past that ) I've found two separate texts telling me about a Military Base not connected to Talos One that also has Typhon Organisms in it ( and might have also fallen ). Also they weren't created here, they came from space, so theoretically they can reach Earth anyway and having more research on them would be good. Also since it seems to have been a prerecordered message, it seems like that Morgan was assuming I'd be slamming Typhon mods and basically go back to Earth as a Typhon myself, while I'm currently going zero mods total so I'm basically pure human still.

Unless there was something to Morgan's plan of inserting human memories/thought patterns into a Typhon. :stare:

And y'all can keep your pistol. I've just learned how Phantom's move, and run in with the shotgun to point blank murder them. For big stuff like Technomancers I just throw an EMP grenade then run in and go full hog.

Right now what I need is a better anti Weaver weapon, because I have had zero luck with them. Pistol and Shotgun do jack poo poo, they can move super quickly, they fly away from my grenades, and the Q-Beam doesn't work so well in Zero G where I find 90% of them. My usual go to is just run, which seems to work as they seem more interested in making coral then anything.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 7, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The new thread title is extremely accurate.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rookersh posted:

I can't tell if it's just Avellone's work and he really is a one tricky pony writer, or if they were trying to appeal to our nostalgia, but I did get a kick out of January/December, and the fact Morgan is basically the Nameless One part deux. Every wake up changed your personality, so you had nice Morgan, lovely Morgan, evil Morgan, conquest Morgan, etc. All of which left you guides on what they wanted YOU to do.

Also uh, January's plan seems a bit flawed, even as early on as I am. ( Speculating just as I hit the Arboretum, so no spoilers past that ) I've found two separate texts telling me about a Military Base not connected to Talos One that also has Typhon Organisms in it ( and might have also fallen ). Also they weren't created here, they came from space, so theoretically they can reach Earth anyway and having more research on them would be good. Also since it seems to have been a prerecordered message, it seems like that Morgan was assuming I'd be slamming Typhon mods and basically go back to Earth as a Typhon myself, while I'm currently going zero mods total so I'm basically pure human still.

Unless there was something to Morgan's plan of inserting human memories/thought patterns into a Typhon. :stare:

Uh what, where did you find those text messages? I never remember reading anything like that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Soul Glo posted:

I haven't been scared yet. Maybe one jump scare when a music cue was loud. I've always considered myself a huge baby when it came to scary games, but nothing so far in Prey's made me wanna not walk forward.

I think I've learned something between this game and Resident Evil 7-- once you hand me a shotgun, I go from a helpless, anxious mess to Doomguy.

I hate jump scares and games that use them with a passion, but I don't have that problem with Prey at all. I think it's because the jump scares aren't scripted but emergent gameplay, so if you're smart about it you can see them coming and even if they get the jump on you, a single blast from the shotgun will take care of that for you. Mimics are far more dangerous in a swarm or when ambushing you when fighting something bigger. I'm almost loathe to even call the mimics "jump scares." Like I wrote in the Steam thread, it's more of a cat and mouse game where you're trying to outsmart the mimics and the mimics are trying to outsmart you or take advantage if you stop paying attention.

Just in my last session (mild mechanics spoilers):

"Why is that vase in the middle of an otherwise empty corridor? Better swing at it with a- aha!"

"This cramped security booth would be the perfect place for a mimic ambush, better get my shotgun- ha!"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The quick select wheel turns into a spiral when you start getting too many weapons/powers. Cute but kinda unruly

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well shoot, it took longer than it usually does in this kind of game but I upgraded my security weapon damage and gunsmith II and got the shotgun to max damage and now I broke the difficulty. Nightmares go down in 10 hits.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I haven't had time to play yet, but I pre-ordered based on loving Dishonored, and it sounds like that was the correct choice. I did check out metacritic user reviews just to see what non-goons have to say and it's overwhelming positive, too. The handful of bad reviews are kind of funny, though, since they all fall into one of four categories:

• It's too easy
  • It's too hard
  • I wanted a mindless shooter and this is way too complicated
  • It's just a generic mindless shooter

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I want to see a stream of someone complaining it's too easy on max difficulty, when they're about half way in.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hi I saw system shock in the title is it time for me to silence the discord once again?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Theris posted:

I haven't had time to play yet, but I pre-ordered based on loving Dishonored, and it sounds like that was the correct choice. I did check out metacritic user reviews just to see what non-goons have to say and it's overwhelming positive, too. The handful of bad reviews are kind of funny, though, since they all fall into one of four categories:

• It's too easy
  • It's too hard
  • I wanted a mindless shooter and this is way too complicated
  • It's just a generic mindless shooter

That's how you know that the game is actually good.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hahah, theres a quest line that leads directly to a game over. this game is great.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 7, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Hahah, theres a quest line that leads directly to a game over. this game is great.

What is a game over if not an alternative ending.

Makes you think.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Jack Trades posted:

What is a game over if not an alternative ending.

Makes you think.

DLC content!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So here's a question. Are there any static doors in this game? I'm trying to think of one, but am drawing a blank. I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are if you encounter a door, there is some way to reach the room on the other side.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

So here's a question. Are there any static doors in this game? I'm trying to think of one, but am drawing a blank. I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are if you encounter a door, there is some way to reach the room on the other side.

like I said earlier this might be the best realized environment in any game ever. the *only* thing I can spot that doesn't make logical real life sense is that there aren't nearly enough beds for everyone. or escape pods, lol

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just got a scope mod that increases pistol critical hit chance and I've been building towards a stealth pistol build :getin:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

The Lone Badger posted:

I think there's only one q-beam ammo blueprint, at the end of the related quest chain.
There's one in the part of the executive suites that got breached

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

There is a shitload of bed in the neuromod sector...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I see the min GPU recommended for this game is a 660 and I have a 660 TI, has anyone played this on a 660 TI? II'd love to pick this up in the next six months or so when I have time for it, but my computer is four years old and I have no plans to upgrade it in the next 2 years. I've been putting off building a new computer or upgrading my GPU until there's a game I have to play and this is the first game in over a year that's grabbed my attention this hard.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
You already made me spend the resources to raise my hacking skill, don't make me do a garbage minigame every time. Mod please.

Other than that, 6 hours in and barely any progress in the main story because got to find everything.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anyone have any idea where I can find fab plans for Stun Gun ammo? Or a decent stock of it?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I see the min GPU recommended for this game is a 660 and I have a 660 TI, has anyone played this on a 660 TI? II'd love to pick this up in the next six months or so when I have time for it, but my computer is four years old and I have no plans to upgrade it in the next 2 years. I've been putting off building a new computer or upgrading my GPU until there's a game I have to play and this is the first game in over a year that's grabbed my attention this hard.

It'll run - and you'll probably be able to get a decent fps too if you turn some stuff down. Steam always has the 2 hour refund option, too.

Here's someone running it on a 660, so you'll probably see slightly better performance than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewu2aTfpH44

The game's well-optimised.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 7, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bleusilences posted:

There is a shitload of bed in the neuromod sector...

in the volunteer quarters? would think those would just be for, well the volunteers. or am I forgetting some

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Apparently there is plot in the game. I wouldn't know because I've been playing for 12 hours and I've spent maybe under 2 hours going where I'm supposed to be going.

I'm curious how the rest of the year pans out because this is some GOTY material right here.

The one thing I remember the most fondly from System Shock 2 is actually the chemical ingredients puzzle. The game actually expected you to connect all the dots on your own and micro-manage your inventory to get things done. A modern game would just play a cutscene, paint a dot on the map and do everything for you. Prey brings back, in a way, that sense of interaction with the environment.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
so uh i decided i wanted to disable the opening videos, and Arkane is uh, rather anal about how they name their videos.... I REALLY hope there's a VR version of the game or something like that

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I dont want this game to end but also I do because I want to try alternate paths and stuff.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Oh man, I've been thinking on that early Psiontronics log, and I'm pretty sure I know the twist.

Morgan wanted to test if Typhon could learn to be human/empathize through neuromods. Alex constantly talks about how amazing Typhon are, but then talks about empathy. January keeps saying over and over again that "You could do this, but then you wouldn't be human anymore/Hey. At least you aren't an alien eh?".

Also even thinking back stuff didn't add up. Why add a decontamination chamber to a simulation room? There are no Typhon in the area, its not Psiontronics! Nowhere else in Talos has that kind of security.

It would also make the survivor stuff tie in perfectly. Why would saving joe schmoe that rando help Morgan at the ending/change the ending at all. But if this whole thing was a test, then it's a great way to show the Typhon can develop empathy and want to help others.

I just made a lot of assumptions off a single audio log with no other info, but it adds up! I'm not crazy!!! I swear!!! HOW DEEP DOES THE CONSPIRACY GO.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rookersh posted:

Oh man, I've been thinking on that early Psiontronics log, and I'm pretty sure I know the twist.

Morgan wanted to test if Typhon could learn to be human/empathize through neuromods. Alex constantly talks about how amazing Typhon are, but then talks about empathy. January keeps saying over and over again that "You could do this, but then you wouldn't be human anymore/Hey. At least you aren't an alien eh?".

Also even thinking back stuff didn't add up. Why add a decontamination chamber to a simulation room? There are no Typhon in the area, its not Psiontronics! Nowhere else in Talos has that kind of security.

It would also make the survivor stuff tie in perfectly. Why would saving joe schmoe that rando help Morgan at the ending/change the ending at all. But if this whole thing was a test, then it's a great way to show the Typhon can develop empathy and want to help others.

I just made a lot of assumptions off a single audio log with no other info, but it adds up! I'm not crazy!!! I swear!!! HOW DEEP DOES THE CONSPIRACY GO.

hm, that would actually tie in with the game over/alternate ending dialogue when you escape in alex's pod. "alex: you... you're just going to give up, just going to leave? / alex (VO): looks like this wasn't the one paraphrased obviously. I could see it being something along these lines.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Uh, I'm too stupid for the cargo bay.

I activated both panels (in the cargo bay and in the g.u.t.s.) but the panel in the bay still says that something is blocking the door. How do I clear that up? I tried moving/recycling all the crates in the g.u.t.s. but nothing is happening :( .

Oh, and where do I use the air injector?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is this game scary?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

Is this game scary?

In places, yes. It's not the main focus of the game though. It's slightly scarier than Bioshock was.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

Is this game scary?

about as scary as Bioshock except with no straight up horror level (so far) like those games tend to have (the sander cohen one, etc)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Asproigerosis posted:

Is this game scary?

I dunno if scary is the word, really. I'm a pussy with scary games and I can play it, fwiw. There are a few jump scares, and the atmosphere lends itself to you being on edge and wary all the time, but it's not outright terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GhostDog posted:

You already made me spend the resources to raise my hacking skill, don't make me do a garbage minigame every time. Mod please.

Other than that, 6 hours in and barely any progress in the main story because got to find everything.

Hey, at least it is relatively painless. Bioshock 's pipe dream hacking basically drove me insane.